Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • paulfoel
    • By paulfoel 15th Jan 16, 11:59 AM
    • 5,378Posts
    • 2,551Thanks
    paulfoel
    Budget tyres or Premium tyres?
    • 15th Jan 16, 11:59 AM
    Budget tyres or Premium tyres? 15th Jan 16 at 11:59 AM
    Realistically, how much of a difference is there?

Surely, all tyres meet a minimum i.e. safe standard or they wouldn't be allowed to be on sale?

Not talking about pushing the car to the limit such as cornering as fast as possible, just talking about sensible driving. Not interested if I can go through a corner 0.25 secs faster with better tyres etc.

Generally, I guess, will the tyre not cause car to skid when stopping in the wet etc. Will it slide on ice in a corner.
    Cymru am Byth !!!
Page 5
    • Ebe Scrooge
    • By Ebe Scrooge 10th Jan 18, 4:27 PM
    • 4,127 Posts
    • 3,569 Thanks
    Ebe Scrooge
    Budget tyres do stop you in less than the stopping/braking distances recommended by the Highway Code. You just need to keep a decent distance behind the vehicle in front - Remember: ONLY A FOOL BREAKS THE 2 SECOND RULE! This should be doubled to 4 seconds in rain or 10 seconds in torrential rain.
    Originally posted by Kevan Hughes

How very odd. A new user registers to resurrect a two-year-old thread - yet there's no overtly obvious spamming or advertising of his own website thus far. Hmmm, we shall wait and see ........
    I may not know much about art, but I know what I like.
    • EdGasketTheSecond
    • By EdGasketTheSecond 10th Jan 18, 8:34 PM
    • 582 Posts
    • 315 Thanks
    EdGasketTheSecond
    I've had budgets lots of times and no problems at all with them. If you drive sensibly almost any modern tyre will be good enough.
    • Iceweasel
    • By Iceweasel 10th Jan 18, 9:53 PM
    • 4,322 Posts
    • 3,175 Thanks
    Iceweasel
    I've had budgets lots of times and no problems at all with them. If you drive sensibly almost any modern tyre will be good enough.
    Originally posted by EdGasketTheSecond
    That's fine as long as everyone else drives sensibly as well.

Premium tyres give a much increased safety margin when avoiding action is needed.

Think of the nuns with baskets of kittens - please.
    • gord115
    • By gord115 11th Jan 18, 4:16 AM
    • 859 Posts
    • 232 Thanks
    gord115
    Why not buy some part worn premium tyres off a top rated ebay seller.
    I did it with my wifes car and got 2 Pirellis for 100 (205/40x17) with 7mm tread.
    And before people say you don't know what a second hand tyre has been through,surely it is exactly the same risk when you buy a second hand car with used tyres.
    • takman
    • By takman 11th Jan 18, 9:38 AM
    • 3,392 Posts
    • 2,996 Thanks
    takman
    Why not buy some part worn premium tyres off a top rated ebay seller.
    I did it with my wifes car and got 2 Pirellis for 100 (205/40x17) with 7mm tread.
    And before people say you don't know what a second hand tyre has been through,surely it is exactly the same risk when you buy a second hand car with used tyres.
    Originally posted by gord115
    There is a slightly higher risk because some part worn tyres come from cars that have been written off in an accident so have a slightly higher risk of being damaged. But as long as you checked the tyres fully before getting them fitted then their is unlikely to be any problems.
    • Joe Horner
    • By Joe Horner 11th Jan 18, 12:01 PM
    • 4,378 Posts
    • 3,849 Thanks
    Joe Horner
    That's fine as long as everyone else drives sensibly as well.
    Originally posted by Iceweasel
    That really depends on how effective your defensive driving is.

I don't believe that, in over 30 years of varied motoring, I've "just been lucky" yet I've never been caught out by anyone else's stupidity. I've seen plenty of it, but never been "unable to avoid it".

If that's pure lick I should be a lottery millionaire by now!
    • EdGasketTheSecond
    • By EdGasketTheSecond 11th Jan 18, 2:09 PM
    • 582 Posts
    • 315 Thanks
    EdGasketTheSecond
    43 years in my case
    • Joe Horner
    • By Joe Horner 11th Jan 18, 2:55 PM
    • 4,378 Posts
    • 3,849 Thanks
    Joe Horner
    43 years in my case
    Originally posted by EdGasketTheSecond
    Genuine thanks given for that one, I've been feeling a little old lately but suddenly I feel my yoof returning
    • Eldog
    • By Eldog 11th Jan 18, 3:40 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Eldog
    I've never gone for budget tyres. It must be noted that there are plenty of big brands out there with reasonably priced 'premium' tyres. I'd recommend Uniroyal RainSport 3 for a mid-range priced option.
    • Iceweasel
    • By Iceweasel 11th Jan 18, 4:13 PM
    • 4,322 Posts
    • 3,175 Thanks
    Iceweasel
    That really depends on how effective your defensive driving is.

I don't believe that, in over 30 years of varied motoring, I've "just been lucky" yet I've never been caught out by anyone else's stupidity. I've seen plenty of it, but never been "unable to avoid it".

If that's pure lick I should be a lottery millionaire by now!
    Originally posted by Joe Horner
    I've never been caught out by others' stupidity either - but in over a million miles and 52 years of driving all over the world (including 'Wacky Races' in Saudi Arabia and Egypt) I've had to take severe avoiding action quite a few times.

I wouldn't have the same confidence in budget tyres over premium tyres - especially in the wet.
    • gord115
    • By gord115 11th Jan 18, 4:41 PM
    • 859 Posts
    • 232 Thanks
    gord115
    I've never gone for budget tyres. It must be noted that there are plenty of big brands out there with reasonably priced 'premium' tyres. I'd recommend Uniroyal RainSport 3 for a mid-range priced option.
    Originally posted by Eldog
    I've just put these on my Golf R after my son recommended them.
    They replaced Bridgestone Potenza that are OE.

In the dry they are almost as good but in the wet(most of the time here oop north) they are phenominal.
    • Iceweasel
    • By Iceweasel 11th Jan 18, 5:03 PM
    • 4,322 Posts
    • 3,175 Thanks
    Iceweasel
    I've just put these on my Golf R after my son recommended them.
    They replaced Bridgestone Potenza that are OE.

In the dry they are almost as good but in the wet(most of the time here oop north) they are phenominal.
    Originally posted by gord115
    Glad to hear that you are happy - but almost any tyre would be an improvement on the dreaded Potenzas.
    • r2015
    • By r2015 11th Jan 18, 5:49 PM
    • 1,011 Posts
    • 284 Thanks
    r2015
    43 years in my case
    I've been driving for 53 years
    Heading towards 72 and getting even more forgetful and confused and tending to ramble even more.
    If you think I've asked this before I probably have.
    • jeradon
    • By jeradon 12th Jan 18, 3:13 AM
    • 14 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    jeradon
    I recommend Falken tires. Falken 912 and 452 are both good. Well priced and they offer reliable traction. They have decent treadlife also.
    • Iceweasel
    • By Iceweasel 12th Jan 18, 10:24 AM
    • 4,322 Posts
    • 3,175 Thanks
    Iceweasel
    When I talk of 'budget' tyres I'm thinking of ones like these as sourced via Alibaba:

https://www.alibaba.com/products/F0/passenger_car_tire/----------------------------G.html

They are priced from as little as $5 to $10 and usually need to bought in lots of 500 upwards.

So plenty of profit for tyre dealers who import a containerfull of various sizes and sell them at a huge mark up, but still 'cheap' in the eyes of those UK customers for whom price is more important than the quality.

Of course lots of folks will swear by them and tell us they have driven on similar tyres for x years or y thousand miles with no problems - yet!
    Last edited by Iceweasel; 12-01-2018 at 10:26 AM.
    • Joe Horner
    • By Joe Horner 12th Jan 18, 12:02 PM
    • 4,378 Posts
    • 3,849 Thanks
    Joe Horner
    When I talk of 'budget' tyres I'm thinking of ones like these as sourced via Alibaba:

https://www.alibaba.com/products/F0/passenger_car_tire/----------------------------G.html
    Originally posted by Iceweasel
    Mmmm, I quite fancy some Weihai Datongs at $16 - $16 each (min order 1). Not sure if they're meant to be asymmetrical or they just got the mould halves mixed up in the factory

Seriously got to agree those are probably best avoided, but there'a a world of difference between those "stamp your own brand here" types and the companies that are making and importing under their own brand names.
    Last edited by Joe Horner; 12-01-2018 at 12:04 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

222Posts Today

2,010Users online

Martin's Twitter