Budget tyres or Premium tyres?

Comments

• DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Strider590 wrote: »
    What I really don't understand is why people spend £400 a month on a car and then stick the nastiest cheap rubber on it.

Car manufacturers spend millions of £ on finding the best tyres and suspension combination to suit their cars and then people go and stick £20 Supermega Ditch Finder XLs on it.

I wouldn't be sure, everything is done to a price point and besides, many come with summer tyres as OEM, we've seen the debates about winter tyres, when I last had my car serviced they tried to sell me some mid range no name for £100.60, I got the replacement OEM Bridgestones for £78
  • Talc1234
    Talc1234 Posts: 273 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    What I really don't understand is why people spend £400 a month on a car and then stick the nastiest cheap rubber on it.

Car manufacturers spend millions of £ on finding the best tyres and suspension combination to suit their cars and then people go and stick £20 Supermega Ditch Finder XLs on it.

Because a £400 a month car is going to be pretty bling. No one will notice the tyres.
  • Iceweasel
    Iceweasel Posts: 4,706 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker

I agree - if you talk to the guys that work in the alloy wheel section of tyre depots you hear that they too don't understand someone who will spend a couple of thousand on smart (aka flashy) wheels but then fit the absolute cheapest rubber on the market.

One reason might well be that the wheels are obvious to all, but the brand of tyre can only be read if you look very closely at the sidewalls. Maybe all tyres should have raised white lettering as popular in the US of A. ;)

Many people just see tyres as round rubber black things - as in 'blackcircles'.
  • DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Iceweasel wrote: »
    I agree - if you talk to the guys that work in the alloy wheel section of tyre depots you hear that they too don't understand someone who will spend a couple of thousand on smart (aka flashy) wheels but then fit the absolute cheapest rubber on the market.

One reason might well be that the wheels are obvious to all, but the brand of tyre can only be read if you look very closely at the sidewalls. Maybe all tyres should have raised white lettering as popular in the US of A. ;)

Many people just see tyres as round rubber black things - as in 'blackcircles'.

It's the guys at the tyre depots that are recommending the no brand name tyres though, the branded name tyres seem to be a cartel on pricing , so the markup by the fitters is pretty rigid, with the unbranded name they probably profit more on the sale of a tyre (excluding any longtivity etc).
  • londonTiger
    londonTiger Posts: 4,903 Forumite
    edited 17 January 2016 at 6:34PM
    i've always used midrange tyres. tyres with an establish name on them and not no-name chinese.

Sometimes to save money I've coincided alloy wheel purchase with tyre renewal. So I wanted to buy new (used) alloys for my car. I waited until the tyres on my car needed replacement and then bought a set of 4 alloys with good tread on them (6mm+). They cost only £50-£100 more than bare alloys. I think sell my exisiting alloys and find that I effectively paid £100 for a set of 4 tyres.

On my last purchse I got a sent of 4 wheels (all good tread), consisting of 2x very good goodyear tyres and cheap winda tyres which was a cause for concern but I've put 2000 miles into it and no issues what so ever.

I drive up to the speed limit, on rare occasions 10mph over. My car is a humble 1.6 golf and drive cnservatively leaving plenty of distance up ahead. I would buy only the best tyres if I had an m3 and was an aggressive drive who tailgates etc. But see not reason to spend big on a practical runabout car.
  • Iceweasel
    Iceweasel Posts: 4,706 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    I would buy only the best tyres if I had an m3 and was an aggressive drive who tailgates etc.

Ah - Thanks for clearing that up - the best tyres are only needed for M3s and aggressive drivers.
  • i've always used midrange tyres. tyres with an establish name on them and not no-name chinese.

Sometimes to save money I've coincided alloy wheel purchase with tyre renewal. So I wanted to buy new (used) alloys for my car. I waited until the tyres on my car needed replacement and then bought a set of 4 alloys with good tread on them (6mm+). They cost only £50-£100 more than bare alloys. I think sell my exisiting alloys and find that I effectively paid £100 for a set of 4 tyres.

On my last purchse I got a sent of 4 wheels (all good tread), consisting of 2x very good goodyear tyres and cheap winda tyres which was a cause for concern but I've put 2000 miles into it and no issues what so ever.

I drive up to the speed limit, on rare occasions 10mph over. My car is a humble 1.6 golf and drive cnservatively leaving plenty of distance up ahead. I would buy only the best tyres if I had an m3 and was an aggressive drive who tailgates etc. But see not reason to spend big on a practical runabout car.

So you're driving round on tyres with an unknown history and alloys that were sold as they're most likely buckled.
  • londonTiger
    So you're driving round on tyres with an unknown history and alloys that were sold as they're most likely buckled.

people sell alloys for all sorts of reason, such as changing them because young guys with lots of disposable income like to change alloys all the time.

some posers take out their BBS factory fitted alloys on the golf and put on some !!!!!! halfords alloys that weigh 12kg without tyres and sell their BBS ones on ebay.
  • force_ten
    force_ten Posts: 1,931 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    it makes me smile some of the posts on here and yes i am quilty as well
    I would say buy the best quality tyres you can afford, if you can afford the best then go for it, I have continental sport contacts as my summer tyres as the topped the independent tyre tests at the time of purchase

I posted if you can afford the best then go for it, does that mean that the most expensive tyres are the best tyres?

camskill will sell me Joyroad RX6 Sport RX06 for £30.00 a tyre, Vredestein Sportrac 5,s for £40.00 and Continental Premium Contact 5 for £50.00

i would happily fit the Vredestein and the Continental to my car but would have to think long and hard about the joyroad
  • londonTiger
    camskill discounts wiped out when you go to a fitter and they charge you £10 a wheel minimum. (london). I heard people up north will fit them for £2.50 a wheel.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure