Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 14th Jan 16, 5:50 PM
    • 3,147Posts
    • 15,790Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Dancing in the Rain
    • 14th Jan 16, 5:50 PM
    Dancing in the Rain 14th Jan 16 at 5:50 PM
    Four years ago I was transitioning from freelance creative work to being an employee. I had rising debts because my outgoings exceeded my rubbish freelance income and I couldn't find a job. My home had repairs I couldnít do. I felt as if my life was in a downwards spiral.

There have been/will be changes good and not so good and these changes have prompted my new diary.

GOOD CHANGES:

Iíve made some progress on emergency repairs and now have a wonderful new boiler (so I am warm!)

I work for a brilliant charity and have done for the last 3.5 years. I know I could earn more, but I enjoy my work, I do something worthwhile and it fits in with other things I want to achieve that are equally important to me. They are now agreeing (from March 2016) to me working full time with 2 days working from home. This is a work balance that will allow me to be creative, and improve my income so I can achieve my 2016 goals

This is the year I become mortgage free.

NOT SO GOOD CHANGES:

My debt has increased from £12,000 to £24,822

After much thought I have realised what my priorities should be for 2016. I want a dog and a small car and a trip to New York but those are WANTS that I canít have, at least not this yearÖ

I have set goals for 2016 and these goals work towards my overall plan for 2020. Each year there will be an overarching priority and 2016 my priority is HOUSE. I have a schedule of works from which I will set house goals

House, decluttering,creativity, social, house, health, finances, nurturing, environment, organisation and future self

I will also do a weekly, how I saved money this week update on Fridays

I sound frighteningly organised donít I? This is me getting seriousÖbut I have a real problem dealing with workmen and having them in them in my home!!!! so I'm also bit of a coward-custard deep down too

This isnít always going to be fun, I get that. But no more putting my head down and waiting for the storm to pass. As often as I can I will get out there and dance in the rain!

Come and support me when you can
    Last edited by doingitanyway; 20-12-2017 at 9:14 PM.
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/March 2018=0 DEBT FREE 23/03/18
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
Page 121
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 11th Mar 18, 11:37 AM
    • 5,062 Posts
    • 29,395 Thanks
    in need of direction
    It clearly wasn't meant to be but so good that you can now see opportunities
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83 today £75,268.93, target £65,000 by 31/12/18 Offset fund today £247.27 target £5,500 by 31/12/18
    Emergency fund £0.7/5.5k & £200/200 cash.
    Current weight loss RUBBISH need to refocus
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 11th Mar 18, 3:16 PM
    • 54,988 Posts
    • 219,485 Thanks
    beanielou
    Sorry that things havent worked out as planned.
    Positives as you say though meantime.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger.
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 11th Mar 18, 6:22 PM
    • 1,891 Posts
    • 11,497 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    It will happen eventually DIA your 4 day week. Your positives are really good. Please get yourself a cleaner , then that's one less thing to worry about.
    CC1 £3475 May 2018
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 12th Mar 18, 10:12 AM
    • 3,147 Posts
    • 15,790 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    turkeys and frogs
    I was up at 6am doing some work for myself. I finished at 9am and I am pleased to have got it done. I start my proper/other work at midday.

I am still reeling from the 4 day week but equally determined to be okay about this. It is not a tragedy just a temporary blip.

Teaching summer school starts in April and I intend to save this money to put towards my sabbatical (I donít think work can stop me taking this)

Thank you for all the kind and supportive comments posted since I had this news.

Today I am focused on cleaning and organising. I desperately need to declutter as I canít employ a cleaner until the house is cleared so surfaces can be cleaned, also I don't have normal things to clean because my home isn't functioning normally if that makes sense.

I spoke to a friend who wants to do a car boot sale over Easter. This would be great if it happens.

Also I am cooking my turkey breast (£50 reduced to £5 ) at Christmas. This is the last of the turkey stash. It usually lasts until Easter when I should be able to do the same to last me until Autumn. We shall seeÖ

I am having a NSD today

I am planning on eating just one frog of having an appointment with a trades person made by the end of the day

I wish you all a flying start to your week
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 12th Mar 18, 10:23 AM
    • 1,836 Posts
    • 6,820 Thanks
    JoJoC
    Sorry to hear about work pulling the rug from under you regarding your 4 day week. Like everyone else, I'm glad that you're seeing the positives there and there IS positives for sure.

Just a thought, but would your work consider allowing you to do compressed hours (full weekly hours over 4 days) in the interim until it's possible for you to go properly to 4 days as you'd planned? It might help for you to still have the incentive of having an extra day to yourself even though it means extra hours per day for a while. Something to think about?

You know that I can HIGHLY recommend having a cleaner. It takes away a huge chunk of brain clutter in my already busy mind not having the fact that I haven't cleaned the bathroom in weeks eating me up and making me feel guilty daily. It's done every fortnight (and I wipe it down in between when I get the chance) and i don't need to worry about it. It's the best thing that I spend my money on at the moment...aside from my mortgage

Enjoy your turkey! And I hope the tradesperson meeting goes well!
    CC1: £4481.14/ £5031.14 (12% paid off, £600) | CC2:£3307/ £3807 (14.4% paid off, £550) | Loan: £10,528.20/ £15,792.30((33% paid off, £5,264))

July debt total: £24,630.44 | New debt total: £18,316.34 | Total debt paid: £6,414.10 (26%)
    *My debt busting and savings diary*
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 12th Mar 18, 10:31 AM
    • 3,147 Posts
    • 15,790 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Just a thought, but would your work consider allowing you to do compressed hours (full weekly hours over 4 days) in the interim until it's possible for you to go properly to 4 days as you'd planned? It might help for you to still have the incentive of having an extra day to yourself even though it means extra hours per day for a while. Something to think about?

You know that I can HIGHLY recommend having a cleaner. It takes away a huge chunk of brain clutter in my already busy mind not having the fact that I haven't cleaned the bathroom in weeks eating me up and making me feel guilty daily.
    Originally posted by JoJoC
    These are good ideas and work will allow me to do compressed hours if I can find a way for it to work. I may revisit this.

The problem with the cleaner is I don't have a proper kitchen or bathroom. I may have to wait until I have these sorted but I now know a cleaner is the way forward for me

Thank you JoJo
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • Purplemumof2
    • By Purplemumof2 12th Mar 18, 11:37 AM
    • 6,153 Posts
    • 22,631 Thanks
    Purplemumof2
    Oh DIA, poo to the work situation

I'd love a cleaner.....may be one day

Have a lovely day today xx
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 791 - Proud to be dealing with my debts
    MBNA: £6200.00 Cap 1: £395.80 BC: £6841.81
    AFD xxx LTW 6/16
    POAMAYC 2018 #041 PD £6288.87/£7000
    Savings for Christmas £191.84/£365
    20p Savers 2018 £2 Savers 2018 50p Savers 2018 SPC 11 2018 #003
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 13th Mar 18, 9:44 AM
    • 3,147 Posts
    • 15,790 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    i need to exercise
    I have been doing a shift that starts at 12 and finishes at 8. I was NSD yesterday and will be today. By the time the shift finishes the shops are closed and I am tired. Every cloud and all that

I was quite active yesterday. I decluttered, sorted the cupboard under the stairs, put up a blind (that had been down for several days) washed up 5Xs,

I now have a few huge boxes of things for a car boot sale ready to go.

My turkey came out well and I have batched the protein for future meals (Thai red curry and salads coming up)

I rearranged to have an organic veggie box as I was going to be home that day to receive it due to a 4 day week. I was feeling disappointed I would now be at work. Guess what? They emailed to say the day the deliver has changed to a day I WFH anyway. I can still have it after all

I now need to find a place to join SW. I want an early class and was going to do it when I was off work but now I will be at work.

Thinking of trying to do an early morning swim (before work) so my travel pass covers the fare. If I do it on a non work day I will have to pay extra. It may be easier on days when I already have to get up and go? I am finding it hard to motivate myself to exercise. This needs to change

I am okay but life is such a struggle. It has to be managed like a military operation just to stay remotely healthy, having a bit of a life and stay on top of managing a home and looking halfway presentable (probably failing on this last one, all of them actually )

Hoping your day is a good one everyone
    Last edited by doingitanyway; 13-03-2018 at 9:59 AM.
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 13th Mar 18, 11:27 AM
    • 1,836 Posts
    • 6,820 Thanks
    JoJoC
    I know what you mean about life being a struggle - trying to juggle everything in life is borderline impossible at times.

Something that I've learned is that it's often the way you look at things that's important. Instead of focusing on how hard it is to keep on top of things, think about what's most important (and this doesn't always need to be the same) and focus on that. The less important things will get done when they get done but don't beat yourself up about it.

It's taken me a long time to realise that I cannot be everything to everyone and I can't do everything to 100%. We all have lots of roles in our lives whether it's employee, homemaker, mother, daughter, sibling, friend, neighbour...etc. You can't give 100% of your energy to every single role and sometimes things will be neglected. You just make them your focus again later.

Sorry if that's a bit garbled and repetitive. I suppose just be kind to yourself No one is perfect!
    CC1: £4481.14/ £5031.14 (12% paid off, £600) | CC2:£3307/ £3807 (14.4% paid off, £550) | Loan: £10,528.20/ £15,792.30((33% paid off, £5,264))

July debt total: £24,630.44 | New debt total: £18,316.34 | Total debt paid: £6,414.10 (26%)
    • moneyonmymindsam
    • By moneyonmymindsam 13th Mar 18, 7:36 PM
    • 1,407 Posts
    • 4,291 Thanks
    moneyonmymindsam
    Hey

You are doing more than ok this week seems to very pro-active

Boo about work but i guess think of the money.

You are on fire this week Organising, batch cooking etc.

Be really great if you can find a place at SW keeps the ball rolling and all that.

Doing really well in my opinion. I mean you even washed up so i have taken inspiration and done the same...

And when you are Debt free I fully expect you to stick around to keep me company as i have a lot of saving and penny pinching still to do .

Much love
    Sam x
    Emergency Fund Challenge
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 13th Mar 18, 8:20 PM
    • 3,147 Posts
    • 15,790 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    I know what you mean about life being a struggle - trying to juggle everything in life is borderline impossible at times.

It's taken me a long time to realise that I cannot be everything to everyone and I can't do everything to 100%. We all have lots of roles in our lives whether it's employee, homemaker, mother, daughter, sibling, friend, neighbour...etc. You can't give 100% of your energy to every single role and sometimes things will be neglected. You just make them your focus again later.
    Originally posted by JoJoC
    This is exactly what I find. I give one thing my attention, turn around and something else has turned into a disaster. Perhaps its that way for everyone. I expect for all the things I have to do to be under control most of the time and they never are. I need to accept that. Thanks JoJo

Hey

You are doing more than ok this week seems to very pro-active

Boo about work but i guess think of the money.

You are on fire this week Organising, batch cooking etc.

Be really great if you can find a place at SW keeps the ball rolling and all that.

Doing really well in my opinion. I mean you even washed up so i have taken inspiration and done the same...

And when you are Debt free I fully expect you to stick around to keep me company as i have a lot of saving and penny pinching still to do .

Much love
    Sam x
    Originally posted by moneyonmymindsam
    Thanks Sam. You make always me feel better about myself
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 14th Mar 18, 9:23 AM
    • 1,836 Posts
    • 6,820 Thanks
    JoJoC
    I never have everything under control - and I'm not sure I know anyone who truly does. Maybe they have the illusion of having everything at 100% but that's not reality at all.

Hopefully you can alter your mindset to give yourself a pat on the back for the things you have achieved then look to what needs attention next to give it your focus.

There's always something in my life that feels neglected (most often multiple things!) and it can feel overwhelming but I try to stop thinking about what hasn't been done but look at what I can do to make this a bit better/ more balanced.

I take great inspiration from your diary and all that you achieve so don't think that you're ever not doing something good! Even if you're not all over everything in life, you're still helping others

• redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 14th Mar 18, 9:28 AM
    • 1,772 Posts
    • 10,714 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Great posts JoJo and Sam, and very true.
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 14th Mar 18, 1:44 PM
    • 3,147 Posts
    • 15,790 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    a big fat frog
    Redo, Jojo, and Sam, you are all making me aware that I need to be more positive, less hard on myself and concentrate less on what I donít do well and more on what I achieve. I have heard and registered. Thank you all

Drudge
    Washing up X2
    Dining room table cleared and cleaned
    Recycling out
    Rubbish bins emptied
    Washing done and drying
    New washing sorted

A GIANT FROG
    After researching a roofer and cross checking with Trading Standards and Checkatrade. I made a telephone call and I am awaiting to hear back.

This should be an easy thing to have done and it was not.

Anyway going to be less hard on myself. I am not perfect and that is okay. This is something I struggle with. But I struggled with debt but I still got there (nearly) I can Ďget thereí with this too.

Wishing you all a lovely day.
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 14th Mar 18, 3:14 PM
    • 54,988 Posts
    • 219,485 Thanks
    beanielou
    Yes, you can indeed & you will.

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 14th Mar 18, 5:32 PM
    • 3,147 Posts
    • 15,790 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Yes, you can indeed & you will.
    Originally posted by beanielou
    Thanks beanielou.
    The roofer called back and I have an appointment for Tuesday. The next step is to keep the appointment and not panic and cancel it!
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 14th Mar 18, 5:36 PM
    • 54,988 Posts
    • 219,485 Thanks
    beanielou
    I have someone coming to give me a quote tomorrow for something.
    I will need to tidy up
    I just dont know where all the crap comes from

***Keep plodding***
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 15th Mar 18, 8:29 AM
    • 3,147 Posts
    • 15,790 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    still no roofer
    Grrrr

The roofer appointment for next week is off. I know I am looking for any excuse (probably) but I found I was hoop-jumping before I even got a quote. I did not get a good vibe. My feeling is if it doesn't begin well it will not end well, so it is back to the drawing board

Going to try and get a few tasks done, look at a kitchen, find another roofer and see a film.

Hope you all have a good day
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 15th Mar 18, 9:19 AM
    • 1,772 Posts
    • 10,714 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Enjoy looking at kitchens, I like things like that. I went to Grand Designs live (free MSE tickets) and had a good look before I decided what I wanted.
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 15th Mar 18, 10:02 AM
    • 1,836 Posts
    • 6,820 Thanks
    JoJoC
    Shame that the roofer fell through, but you're right. If you don't get a good vibe then it's best to move on. Can I ask (and tell me to mind my own business if you want), but what is it that gives you anxiety about tradespeople? Maybe it's something that someone on here could help with?

I hope you find someone that suits what you need.

I'm so very jealous of you looking at kitchens - I need to STOP looking at kitchens! Ours is at least a couple of years off because it's such a big job that we're doing to the place, so i have no business looking at kitchens But I do so love looking at them...

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,110Posts Today

8,380Users online

Martin's Twitter