Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 14th Jan 16, 5:50 PM
    • 3,007Posts
    • 14,702Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Dancing in the Rain
    • 14th Jan 16, 5:50 PM
    Dancing in the Rain 14th Jan 16 at 5:50 PM
    Four years ago I was transitioning from freelance creative work to being an employee. I had rising debts because my outgoings exceeded my rubbish freelance income and I couldn't find a job. My home had repairs I couldn’t do. I felt as if my life was in a downwards spiral.

There have been/will be changes good and not so good and these changes have prompted my new diary.

GOOD CHANGES:

I’ve made some progress on emergency repairs and now have a wonderful new boiler (so I am warm!)

I work for a brilliant charity and have done for the last 3.5 years. I know I could earn more, but I enjoy my work, I do something worthwhile and it fits in with other things I want to achieve that are equally important to me. They are now agreeing (from March 2016) to me working full time with 2 days working from home. This is a work balance that will allow me to be creative, and improve my income so I can achieve my 2016 goals

This is the year I become mortgage free.

NOT SO GOOD CHANGES:

My debt has increased from £12,000 to £24,822

After much thought I have realised what my priorities should be for 2016. I want a dog and a small car and a trip to New York but those are WANTS that I can’t have, at least not this year…

I have set goals for 2016 and these goals work towards my overall plan for 2020. Each year there will be an overarching priority and 2016 my priority is HOUSE. I have a schedule of works from which I will set house goals

House, decluttering,creativity, social, house, health, finances, nurturing, environment, organisation and future self

I will also do a weekly, how I saved money this week update on Fridays

I sound frighteningly organised don’t I? This is me getting serious…but I have a real problem dealing with workmen and having them in them in my home!!!! so I'm also bit of a coward-custard deep down too

This isn’t always going to be fun, I get that. But no more putting my head down and waiting for the storm to pass. As often as I can I will get out there and dance in the rain!

Come and support me when you can
    Last edited by doingitanyway; 20-12-2017 at 9:14 PM.
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/March 2018=0 DEBT FREE 23/03/18
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
Page 120
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 8th Mar 18, 11:09 AM
    • 53,900 Posts
    • 213,191 Thanks
    beanielou
    Sorry about your job woes.
    Keep plodding
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger.
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 8th Mar 18, 1:17 PM
    • 3,007 Posts
    • 14,702 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    soup and perspective
    Thank you all for your comments

My veggie box arrived today, so did my online shop so I am planning my meals for the next week and making soup.

Soup always takes my mind off my troubles…

Prep
    Made soup for lunches
    Defrosted carcass for future soup
    Soak split peas
    Soak black beans

MEAL PLAN
    Breakfasts
    Scrambled eggs and salsa

Lunches
    Soup (curried split pea, sweet potato and courgette)
    Soup (red lentils and spinach)
    Leftovers

Main meals
    Brazilian black beans, cauliflower/quinoa mix and coleslaw
    Black bean burgers, pumpkin and tahini dressing and coleslaw
    Super salad: feta, broccoli, quinoa, avocado, beetroot, red onion, toasted seeds
    Spicy leeks and butterbeans with salmon
    Curried chicken, quinoa/cauliflower mix
    Sun dried tomato humus, olives, carrots, pickles, poached salmon
    Tuna, egg and olive salad with humus and sweet potato chips

Buy
    2 red onions
    Eggs
    Olives
    Pickles
    Cabbage
    Cauliflower
    Fruits

So, taking time away from work to gain some perspective today
    Last edited by doingitanyway; 08-03-2018 at 2:34 PM.
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 8th Mar 18, 1:34 PM
    • 1,674 Posts
    • 9,981 Thanks
    redofromstart
    All sounds lovely DIA, and gloriously balanced,
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 8th Mar 18, 2:07 PM
    • 1,769 Posts
    • 6,452 Thanks
    JoJoC
    Your meal plan sounds delightful! Full of lovely goodness too

Glad soup is helping to soothe you.
    CC1: £4601.14/ £5031.14 (10% paid off, £480) | CC2:£3407/ £3807 (12% paid off, £450) | Loan: £10,788.72/ £15,000((28% paid off, £4211.28))

July debt total: £23,838.14 | New debt total: £18,796.86 | Total debt paid: £5,141.28 (22%)
    *My debt busting and savings diary*
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 8th Mar 18, 6:47 PM
    • 3,007 Posts
    • 14,702 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    All sounds lovely DIA, and gloriously balanced,
    Originally posted by redofromstart
    Your meal plan sounds delightful! Full of lovely goodness too
    Glad soup is helping to soothe you.
    Originally posted by JoJoC
    Thanks ladies
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 8th Mar 18, 6:48 PM
    • 3,007 Posts
    • 14,702 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    reflective mode
    Woe
    I realise today that it isn’t just house repairs. Everything needs replacing. The wire on my iron has been dangerous for years. The TV is dodgy and doesn’t show a full picture. The hoover has a part missing. What I am realising is this is the price of debt and it is depressing in a day-in-day-out way that almost goes unnoticed. It makes me feel I am not worth very much. I know this is not true if I think about it, but it is still how it makes me feel.

Getting debt free will allow me to replace and repair. I know this will begin to help me feel better about myself.

Parsniphead once wrote debt affects every part of your life and as I approach leaving it I can see she is 100% right.

Frogs
    Booked a pedicure for Easter should be £85 but only a principal podiatrist is free for £135 so got a free upgrade and work pays. My feet LOVE this treatment and I try and do it twice a year. Work pays for this

Rescheduled a screening appointment for April as March already busy. Thought of cancelling but I need to look after myself so I rescheduled

Texted a family member I have been putting off contacting. She has not got back to me, but I reached out so the ball is in her court now and I can let it go

Sorry to be so reflective. I think my mood is slipping again…

I am lighting my favourite beeswax candle and I will do cleaning up to get my energy back up

Have a relaxing evening
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 8th Mar 18, 8:38 PM
    • 53,900 Posts
    • 213,191 Thanks
    beanielou
    Its always good to be reflective.
    Have a nice evening yourself

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 8th Mar 18, 8:57 PM
    • 3,475 Posts
    • 9,203 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Sorry to hear work's a bit grim. Really like Redo's point though.

It is true about replacing things but you will get there and be able to do it freely and with security, rather than digging yourself into worse debt. (I do know what you mean, as I've just decided to replace some furniture I have moved house with twice - it was only cheap to start with and has not coped well. I won't be buying anything massively expensive but it will reflect my life now instead of reminding me of the past.)

You're doing well on the frogs. I hope you feel better mood wise soon.

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016... MFW progress 2.3 2.8% 3.1% 3.3%

• moneyonmymindsam
    • By moneyonmymindsam 9th Mar 18, 1:21 AM
    • 1,406 Posts
    • 4,275 Thanks
    moneyonmymindsam
    Hello

oooh, You have been busy debt busting.

Your March debt is looking like real light at the end of the tunnel to me.

I do hope things are a little better for you - so glad you enjoyed a film recently.

I think DIA you are like me - sometimes we are just to hard on ourselves. You have done some amazing debt busting to get this far.

Keep looking after you as you are the most important! p.s you are very good at meal planning I may need some tips, malteasers for breakfast do not maketh a meal

Keep at it and don't forget how amazing you really are.

Sort this - The wire on my iron has been dangerous for years !!-

Thought for a minute you put frogs on your feet as some sort of treatment ??lol

Sam x

Last edited by moneyonmymindsam; 09-03-2018 at 1:24 AM.
    Emergency Fund Challenge
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 9th Mar 18, 8:59 AM
    • 53,900 Posts
    • 213,191 Thanks
    beanielou
    Smarties do not a breakfast make either

***Keep plodding***
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 9th Mar 18, 11:42 AM
    • 1,674 Posts
    • 9,981 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Glad you are burning the good candles, but sorting that iron needs to be a priority.

Originally posted by beanielou
    Oh they do, you just have to eat a balanced mix of colours
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 9th Mar 18, 12:02 PM
    • 2,450 Posts
    • 15,546 Thanks
    parsniphead
    I agree with everyone else. Sort the iron. You can get some good quality ones for very little money.

I'm sorry to hear you're feeling down. You are so inspiring for others showing that with hard work you can not only be mortgage free but debt free. You keep me going.

I think the thought of being out of debt can be terrifying. We are all so ingrained with living with debt it's hard to imagine anything else. It's what screwed me up and left me where I am now with more to pay off.

Keep going DIA. You CAN do this and we will all be round for the virtual party when you do.

Xxx
    My mini challenge: pay off MBNA by 31/08/18. £53.10/£502 10.57%
    Total outstanding consumer debt - £53.10/ £7864.52
    Without ambition one starts nothing. Without work one finishes nothing. The prize will not be sent to you. You have to win it.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 9th Mar 18, 6:41 PM
    • 3,007 Posts
    • 14,702 Thanks
    doingitanyway

I think DIA you are like me - sometimes we are just to hard on ourselves. You have done some amazing debt busting to get this far.
    Thought for a minute you put frogs on your feet as some sort of treatment ??lol
    Originally posted by moneyonmymindsam
    You are so right. Everyone tells me I am hard on myself...
    The idea of a froggy pedicure made me laugh
    Originally posted by beanielou
    Nope sweets for breakfast are a disaster...
    Glad you are burning the good candles, but sorting that iron needs to be a priority.
    Funny I didn't think so, but of course you are right
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 9th Mar 18, 6:42 PM
    • 3,007 Posts
    • 14,702 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    I think the thought of being out of debt can be terrifying. We are all so ingrained with living with debt it's hard to imagine anything else. It's what screwed me up and left me where I am now with more to pay off.
    Originally posted by parsniphead
    You have hit the nail on the head here
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 9th Mar 18, 6:47 PM
    • 3,007 Posts
    • 14,702 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    a better day
    I made soup and hummus today

Phoned council to do bulky waste collect (free 4 times a year) determined to use more

I did not go to work today. I am back tomorrow. Already, one of the things I was worried about has been stopped as it is not workable. It just shows it is not worth stressing. I am going to concentrate on the things I benefit from and enjoy about the job and hope it carries me through until I can run for the hills

Today I walked to the shops and saved the bus fare each way

I am saving lots of money over the past few weeks from working from home.

I booked an exercise class for Sunday and another Monday. Now all I have to do is actually go.

I went to look for an iron today after the comments on my diary. Rosa is right I can soon replace the things I need to without debt to worry about I’ve been ignoring this for years but now I can see this is neither good nor necessary. I want a cordless iron but the one I wanted was sold out. They are due to restock so I will go back on Sunday after my exercise class.

I am feeling better than I was. Life is okay

Wishing you all a wonderful weekend
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 9th Mar 18, 7:53 PM
    • 1,674 Posts
    • 9,981 Thanks
    redofromstart
    I didn't even realise that they did cordless irons

We have a steam press which is great for work and school shirts, and a cheap plug in steam iron for emergencies.

TVs have got a lot bigger and a lot cheaper too, just think - you will be able to indulge very shortly in the things that matter to you
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 9th Mar 18, 8:20 PM
    • 3,007 Posts
    • 14,702 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    I didn't even realise that they did cordless irons

We have a steam press which is great for work and school shirts, and a cheap plug in steam iron for emergencies.

TVs have got a lot bigger and a lot cheaper too, just think - you will be able to indulge very shortly in the things that matter to you
    The funny thing is neither TVs or irons matter to me. I barely iron and I lived for years without a TV. I think TVs are an energy sucker in many ways. It's just being surrounded by broken things brings me down and I want to put that right
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 11th Mar 18, 9:42 AM
    • 3,007 Posts
    • 14,702 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    not part of the plan
    Yesterday I got the shocking news that the 4 day week due in a few weeks time is off the table again. It was assumed someone would take my extra hours and no one has. This is the first time this has happened and is a reflection of the stress at work. It is so bad NO ONE wants to work there anymore than necessary

I had everything planned for a 4 day week. I had worked out my new life and it will not happen now.

I am determined not to be upset about this. I am determined to view this positively.

So, here are the positives:
    --More money, more holiday, more saved into work pension

--This is only short term, someone will leave who is part time and I can take their job (I hope)

--More saved to emergency savings and house fund

--A monthly clean can be financed and this will help with home stress

--The sooner I can get the kitchen done, the sooner I can have a dishwasher and this will help with home stress too

--I feel guilty about sick leave so I use my annual leave for days I feel unwell but I will stop doing this so I have more actual annual leave

--I will join SW this week as losing weight may help with tiredness, more energy for a full working week?

I am going to a stretch class this afternoon.

I will be remaining positive for the seeable future on this one

Happy Sunday everyone
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 11th Mar 18, 10:34 AM
    • 2,450 Posts
    • 15,546 Thanks
    parsniphead
    Oh no DIA. That's totally poo, but it's good you can see some positives. Jobs can be done quicker and savings built too.

Lots of employers can't seem to see that work conditions and people wanting to work there go together. I hope you get what you want soon though.
    My mini challenge: pay off MBNA by 31/08/18. £53.10/£502 10.57%
    Total outstanding consumer debt - £53.10/ £7864.52
    Without ambition one starts nothing. Without work one finishes nothing. The prize will not be sent to you. You have to win it.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 11th Mar 18, 10:35 AM
    • 1,674 Posts
    • 9,981 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Oh that is a shame DIA but good to see you being so positive about it.

My lovely elderly neighbour has molly maid do her hard cleaning and she swears by it. I'm always envious when I see them pull up.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,509Posts Today

6,564Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin