Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 14th Jan 16, 5:50 PM
    • 2,885Posts
    • 14,032Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Dancing in the Rain
    • 14th Jan 16, 5:50 PM
    Dancing in the Rain 14th Jan 16 at 5:50 PM
    Four years ago I was transitioning from freelance creative work to being an employee. I had rising debts because my outgoings exceeded my rubbish freelance income and I couldn't find a job. My home had repairs I couldnít do. I felt as if my life was in a downwards spiral.

There have been/will be changes good and not so good and these changes have prompted my new diary.

GOOD CHANGES:

Iíve made some progress on emergency repairs and now have a wonderful new boiler (so I am warm!)

I work for a brilliant charity and have done for the last 3.5 years. I know I could earn more, but I enjoy my work, I do something worthwhile and it fits in with other things I want to achieve that are equally important to me. They are now agreeing (from March 2016) to me working full time with 2 days working from home. This is a work balance that will allow me to be creative, and improve my income so I can achieve my 2016 goals

This is the year I become mortgage free.

NOT SO GOOD CHANGES:

My debt has increased from £12,000 to £24,822

After much thought I have realised what my priorities should be for 2016. I want a dog and a small car and a trip to New York but those are WANTS that I canít have, at least not this yearÖ

I have set goals for 2016 and these goals work towards my overall plan for 2020. Each year there will be an overarching priority and 2016 my priority is HOUSE. I have a schedule of works from which I will set house goals

House, decluttering,creativity, social, house, health, finances, nurturing, environment, organisation and future self

I will also do a weekly, how I saved money this week update on Fridays

I sound frighteningly organised donít I? This is me getting seriousÖbut I have a real problem dealing with workmen and having them in them in my home!!!! so I'm also bit of a coward-custard deep down too

This isnít always going to be fun, I get that. But no more putting my head down and waiting for the storm to pass. As often as I can I will get out there and dance in the rain!

Come and support me when you can
    Last edited by doingitanyway; 20-12-2017 at 9:14 PM.
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/March 2018=0 DEBT FREE 23/03/18
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
Page 112
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 7th Feb 18, 9:48 PM
    • 2,885 Posts
    • 14,032 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    DIA I have missed so much these last few days.

You are sounding so determined in your work life balance , good for you. I am the same as you overthink everything, to scared to say or do something, then when you do it nobody is the least bit bothered.

I have the same make bag , bought pre LBM it is used daily in the winter and is in great condition.

For interview clothes , be comfortable as everyone has said. Good luck with getting your goals sorted .
    Originally posted by Cumbria lass
    Thanks Cumbria. Glad to hear the bag has served you so well.
    I know you have a good work-life balance and understand the importance.
    I hope you are okay as I know you've been poorly for a while.
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 7th Feb 18, 9:50 PM
    • 2,885 Posts
    • 14,032 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    make do and mend
    I found a repair shop. I have a vintage coat that is 100% heavy cashmere but the silk lining is beginning to tear and in a few years I will have to reline it. It was one of my best ever buys and I hope to be wearing it forever. For now, the lining needs patching and there is work needing on the edges of the pocket. They said it would be £25, an excellent price. It will be going in and then it will be dry-cleaned ready for Winter 2018/19

The house is a tip again so no food so stopped off in MnS after work. Cue unhealthy eatingÖ I am so predictable it embarrasses me

A good day at work with a few major challenges that I overcame. I slept poorly last night worrying about today so glad today is over.

I bought some beautiful pink lilies 2 bunches at £7.50 each reduced to 75p each. Food for the soul is important too

Back to basics tomorrow. I will be making soup and a turkey curry at the very least...

I hope you had a good day
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 7th Feb 18, 9:55 PM
    • 52,618 Posts
    • 206,427 Thanks
    beanielou
    Food for the soul is great.

If it is any consolation, the chocolate monster has got me
    NO weight loss for me tomorrow.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger.
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 8th Feb 18, 5:12 PM
    • 2,885 Posts
    • 14,032 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    do you have an evening routine?
    WFH this PM and an appointment this AM.

Digital recharging (everything that has a charge now has less than 5%)

Dishes X1, X1, X1 (still another load to do)

Recycling and rubbish and decluttering

Clearing dining table of layers of carp (How does it get this bad?)

I bought some curry sauce from Ald1. This is outside of comfort zone as I prefer to cook from scratch. Reading the ingredients it isnít that bad and modified starch is the only unpleasant ingredient. Iím using it tonight for a turkey curry as the house is out of control and it is better than not cooking and then buying rubbish out as Iíve been doing for 2 days in a row

It isnít difficult. Donít leave home without my own food and yet I am failing massively.

So, much fruit purchased as I attempt to get things back under controlÖ

Tonight I am working on an evening routine. Do you have one?
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 8th Feb 18, 5:58 PM
    • 1,664 Posts
    • 9,787 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    The routine I have is shower/bath first if I have been to the gym. Cook dinner , relax . Wash up , make lunch for next day . Put a wash on if needed , empty washer before bed. Bath if not been to gym. Bed .
    CC1 £3655 April 2018.
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 8th Feb 18, 6:33 PM
    • 1,587 Posts
    • 9,449 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Feed animals
    Feed people
    DW on - hate coming down to dirty dishes
    Rubbish and recycling out
    Sort packed lunches, PE kits, etc. Iron anything required. make sure boy shoes are where they should be
    Prep for the morning - oats soaking for porridge for DS1, and the soup out ready for OHs flask
    Wipe worktops and cloakroom so I don't come down to mess
    Shout cats multiple times to come in, curse the inevitable escape of one under a dog and start all over again
    Tell boys its bedtime.
    Spend ages doing 'have nothing to rea' while running a bath
    Wipe bathroom whilst tutting at those who cant aim or rinse the sink
    Put phone on charge for the morning
    Go back downstairs to fetch boy phone/boy duvet/let cat in or out of window
    Have bath - get interrupted at least once by a boy or OH
    Tell boys to go to bed yet again . Ignore denial of first instruction. Turn wifi off if need be.
    Get into bed and read in dark on kindle, wait for joints to stop hurting long enough to go to sleep

I bet you wish you hadn't asked!

The key ones for me are prep for the morning - so dry goods ready, and fresh bits in the fridge ready to drop in, and the daily cleaning bits. Hate coming down to dirty dishes, dirty facilities and an overflowing bin so I do half an hour of stuff at night after everyone else has gone up to stop this.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 8th Feb 18, 9:11 PM
    • 52,618 Posts
    • 206,427 Thanks
    beanielou
    Not me.
    It all depends on how I feel.

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 8th Feb 18, 9:31 PM
    • 1,658 Posts
    • 6,036 Thanks
    JoJoC
    I have no evening routine! Wish I did! Some nights in motivated and organised, others I'm lazy and behind on everything . I sort of just roll with the punches.
    CC1: £4601.14/ £5031.14 (10% paid off, £480) | CC2:£3407/ £3807 (12% paid off, £450) | Loan: £10,788.72/ £15,000((28% paid off, £4211.28))

July debt total: £23,838.14 | New debt total: £18,796.86 | Total debt paid: £5,141.28 (22%)
    *My debt busting and savings diary*
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 8th Feb 18, 9:55 PM
    • 3,449 Posts
    • 9,041 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    DIA, your signature!!

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016... MFW progress 2.3 2.8% 3.1% 3.3%

• RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 8th Feb 18, 10:03 PM
    • 3,449 Posts
    • 9,041 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    No real evening routine here, though I have just starting rewriting FlyLady weekly one and hope to get onto all that shortly.

I suppose it gets as far as a mini routine when I get in : feed cats, check post, put work bag in office, check planner, check emails. And another mini routine before bed. Mornings are pretty much sorted and only vary on whether I manage porridge or run out of the door with breakfast bits in my bag.

I'm surprised how much difference it makes having the office - all the stuff that used to get in the way elsewhere is now in here and I keep it tidier.

Rosa xx

• Eager_Elephant
    • By Eager_Elephant 9th Feb 18, 7:32 AM
    • 4,330 Posts
    • 24,371 Thanks
    Eager_Elephant
    I'm the same as Rosa, I have a mini routine, as soon as I get in from work I:

Walk the dogs
    Feed the dogs
    Feed the cats
    Have a coffee and read the paper
    Wash up from the night before
    Washing - so either hang up clothes if washer has been on in the day or put a load on and then hang up when done
    Sort clean washing from airers
    Have something quick to eat (toast/egg on toast)
    Speak to DH and DD about their days (they get in 1.5hrs after me)
    Check emails/post
    Make sure I have met daily goal on Swagbucks
    Bath
    Bed

Weekends are roughly the same apart from the washing is done throughout the day and in the evening I cook a proper meal for us all and we might watch TV together.

I do have similar issues as redo and her cats - some nights I manage to get them all in and other nights just 1 or 2 but if the 2 youngest kittens are separated then they cry so I spend ages calling the other one to come in and just as he comes in his brother runs out and then he runs out to see his brother and I'm still at the back door in my thin PJ's freezing to death while the kittens mess about.
    Last edited by Eager_Elephant; 09-02-2018 at 7:35 AM.
    Ninja Saving Turtle No. 34 for April
    NSD - 0/15
    (up to 2/4/18)
    My Diary is here - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2175629 (Eager Elephants Effective Everyday Excursion)
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 9th Feb 18, 8:40 AM
    • 2,885 Posts
    • 14,032 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    unfuc3ing my tomorrows
    I love the image of Redo and EE calling for their cats

Cumbria Lass, JoJo and Beanie take it as they find it. The trouble with that for me is it costs me in meals eaten out and coffees purchased because the kitchen is too much of a dive to cook from or I have not defrosted something the night before. Also living in a dump makes my life more stressful as I charge around in the morning looking for things. I thought an evening routine might be the answer. Or part of the answer?

I do think I would benefit hugely from a dishwasher as I do loads and loads and loads of washing up and I could load the dishwasher through the day and put at on at night.

Like EE I might move to emails/admin to the evening

Lots to think about. Thanks for reminding about Flylady Rosa. I have tried her and failed. She does not work for me whilst I am so busy but if get the 3 day job I will start doing her routine.

I am sitting at a clean/clear dining table and it is so nice, This took over an hour to accomplish last night! I still have some yesterday's dishes to do but I am getting there...

I like the idea of mini routines for stressed out CBA days and another routine for the weekend. I am less bothered by a morning routine as I think it is the evening routine that dictates your day. I have seen the evening routine called unfuc3ing your tomorrow and that is what I am trying to do really.

Thank you all for sharing your evening routine. Some of them make me tired just looking! So helpful to me

Have a good day all
    Last edited by doingitanyway; 09-02-2018 at 8:51 AM.
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 9th Feb 18, 11:49 AM
    • 1,658 Posts
    • 6,036 Thanks
    JoJoC
    Here's some input from me - sorry it's in bullet-type form, it's just easier for me to download my thoughts!

Dishes
    I did wonder how you manage to be stuck with quite so many dishes! Maybe you could take a look on Gumtree or Facebook selling pages for a second hand dishwasher in the interim period? I see lots on my local pages for £50ish and I'm often tempted myself.

Routine
    Ok, after thinking about my 'non-routine', I think i maybe misled you by saying that I had none. Maybe I just don't class what I do as a routine. Here's normally what happens on a week night.

- Husband gets in from work and one of us starts dinner
    - The other does the dishes while we're catching up on our day
    - The kids are picked up by one of us
    - The kids' bags are emptied and replenished with whatever is needed (change of clothes, signed form for school etc
    - Husband sets out his breakfast/ fruit and thermos for the following morning in front of the kettle
    - We all sit down to dinner (sometimes husband and I squeeze in a The Body Coach workout for 20 minutes before dinner if it's longer in the oven)
    - Then one takes the kids upstairs to the shower and the other does the dinner dishes and cleans down
    - Both go up and get the kids into bed and read a story
    - Shower time for us both (not together i might add...haha) - whatever one is showering, the other hangs washing up or puts clothes away and then we swap
    - Any last things that we need to do that are urgent get done then we sit down for an hour before bed.

This probably doesn't help you much because a lot of it is centred around the kids but might help to see what we do during 6-9pm.

Re: washings, because I'm working from home at the moment, i'm able to put them on during the day as it only takes 5 minutes but when I'm working from the office, i put the washing on before I leave the house and set it to be finished at 6pm when I get in to save it sitting stagnant and wet in the machine all day.

We also try to make something on Sunday night to do us for lunch during the week like soup or a pasta/ rice dish. This means we're not spending lots of time at night or the morning prepping lunches. One night during the week we usually need to make something as the soup has run out or whatever, but we just make enough to do the rest of the week.

Hope that's a tiny bit useful!
    CC1: £4601.14/ £5031.14 (10% paid off, £480) | CC2:£3407/ £3807 (12% paid off, £450) | Loan: £10,788.72/ £15,000((28% paid off, £4211.28))

July debt total: £23,838.14 | New debt total: £18,796.86 | Total debt paid: £5,141.28 (22%)
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 9th Feb 18, 1:47 PM
    • 2,885 Posts
    • 14,032 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Thanks JoJo There are so many things on here that are useful to me. It shows me that you do in fact have an extremely busy evening routine. Also I can see I do need a dishwasher. but I don't yet have a functioning kitchen and hopefully I can get a dishwasher when I do the kitchen. I do need to prep food one day a week and I cook too much (that is where all the dishes are coming from)
    I love 'breakfast, fruit and a thermos in from of the kettle' as I sometimes prep food and then forget to take it to work. Duh.
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 9th Feb 18, 1:51 PM
    • 2,885 Posts
    • 14,032 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    disappointment
    I got down to the final 4 but I did not get the job. I put so much effort into getting that job. I want to cry but instead I did the grown-up things and asked for feedback so I can learn and grow and move forward.

So, from April I will be staying where I am but decreasing to 4 days, 2 from home and 2 in the office. That is okay. I will have a bit more money. This is still a better balance than most people have. I will make it work.

I am licking my wounds right now but I will back with a plan to use the time I do have to ensure I get fitter, healthier and more creative for the future.

Hoping your day has something nice in it
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • Purplemumof2
    • By Purplemumof2 9th Feb 18, 2:27 PM
    • 6,003 Posts
    • 21,928 Thanks
    Purplemumof2
    Sorry you didn't get the job but well done for getting to the final four, that in itself is an achievement.

There will be a job out there for you and you will get it xx
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 791 - Proud to be dealing with my debts
    MBNA: £6500.00 Cap 1: £437.20 BC: £6747.97
    AFD xxx LTW 3/16
    POAMAYC 2018 #041 PD £3790.84/£7000
    Savings for Christmas £131.00/£365
    20p Savers 2018 £2 Savers 2018 50p Savers 2018 SPC 11 2018 #003
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 9th Feb 18, 2:41 PM
    • 1,658 Posts
    • 6,036 Thanks
    JoJoC
    Sorry to hear the news about the job, it's always worse when you put so much effort into something and can really see yourself in it. Well done for getting as far as you did though, and I hope you get some decent feedback.

My husband has to put his stuff in front of the kettle or else he won't remember it as making coffee is the last thing he does before he leaves in the morning

Your kitchen isn't too far off, is it DIA? I'm sure I remember you posting recently about getting it done in the near future.

Ours is still a while off yet, although it is functioning (just old and really poorly laid out/ falling to bits) so I can't complain too much. Full of grand plans and frustrated at the lack of money available immediately to make those plans a reality! haha

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 9th Feb 18, 3:56 PM
    • 52,618 Posts
    • 206,427 Thanks
    beanielou
    Sorry to hear about the job.
    Great news though on going down to four days.
    YOu are so lucky to work for such a flexible employer

***Keep plodding***
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 9th Feb 18, 4:04 PM
    • 1,587 Posts
    • 9,449 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Sorry to hear about the job, and I agree with Beanie.
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 9th Feb 18, 6:36 PM
    • 3,449 Posts
    • 9,041 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Really sorry to hear about the job DIA - but you were brave to apply, they clearly really liked you, you're doing the learning from it and you have discovered more about what you want in the process, so hopefully it will turn out to be a step to something even better. Also, you are allowed to both cry AND do the grown up stuff - they're not mutually exclusive, just one is usually best not done in the office. May I suggest that you think about giving yourself a bit of time to sob/ thump pillows/ snivel onto the cats' fur/ break crockery, a bit of time to see helpful friends so they can also salve your wounds, and also a celebration and reward for your courage?

I was just getting my knickers in an knot about my own interview prep earlier today when this popped up on my screen via a yoga group...
    "We only grieve where we love. So grief is an aspect of love. Let is be as it is and be humbled by it. Allow grief to be a great teacher." - Gangaji

I found it very timely as it reminded me that I wouldn't be worried or upset about the interview if I didn't care deeply about the field, the potential job and the aspects of my life it would change. I'd been rather pushing that aside in the practicalities, but actually it needs to shine through, even to remind me why I'm doing it.

Big hugs, moggie purrs and posh chocolate for you

Rosa xx

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,780Posts Today

8,242Users online

Martin's Twitter