Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 14th Jan 16, 5:50 PM
    • 3,147Posts
    • 15,776Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Dancing in the Rain
    • 14th Jan 16, 5:50 PM
    Dancing in the Rain 14th Jan 16 at 5:50 PM
    Four years ago I was transitioning from freelance creative work to being an employee. I had rising debts because my outgoings exceeded my rubbish freelance income and I couldn't find a job. My home had repairs I couldnít do. I felt as if my life was in a downwards spiral.

There have been/will be changes good and not so good and these changes have prompted my new diary.

GOOD CHANGES:

Iíve made some progress on emergency repairs and now have a wonderful new boiler (so I am warm!)

I work for a brilliant charity and have done for the last 3.5 years. I know I could earn more, but I enjoy my work, I do something worthwhile and it fits in with other things I want to achieve that are equally important to me. They are now agreeing (from March 2016) to me working full time with 2 days working from home. This is a work balance that will allow me to be creative, and improve my income so I can achieve my 2016 goals

This is the year I become mortgage free.

NOT SO GOOD CHANGES:

My debt has increased from £12,000 to £24,822

After much thought I have realised what my priorities should be for 2016. I want a dog and a small car and a trip to New York but those are WANTS that I canít have, at least not this yearÖ

I have set goals for 2016 and these goals work towards my overall plan for 2020. Each year there will be an overarching priority and 2016 my priority is HOUSE. I have a schedule of works from which I will set house goals

House, decluttering,creativity, social, house, health, finances, nurturing, environment, organisation and future self

I will also do a weekly, how I saved money this week update on Fridays

I sound frighteningly organised donít I? This is me getting seriousÖbut I have a real problem dealing with workmen and having them in them in my home!!!! so I'm also bit of a coward-custard deep down too

This isnít always going to be fun, I get that. But no more putting my head down and waiting for the storm to pass. As often as I can I will get out there and dance in the rain!

Come and support me when you can
    Last edited by doingitanyway; 20-12-2017 at 9:14 PM.
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/March 2018=0 DEBT FREE 23/03/18
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
Page 111
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 5th Feb 18, 9:08 PM
    • 3,493 Posts
    • 9,323 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Woop woop woop well done you and hurrah for your clever friend.

Go on - you are clearly worth it

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016
    MFW progress 3.3% ...
    Campervan loan progress 0%

• redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 5th Feb 18, 9:29 PM
    • 1,767 Posts
    • 10,612 Thanks
    redofromstart
    I am still trying to work out your line of work!
    Originally posted by beanielou

Lion tamer!

DIA, don't apologise, just confirm what your price is to lose your free time. Its then up to them to go ahead or not.
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 5th Feb 18, 9:48 PM
    • 3,147 Posts
    • 15,776 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Eat that frog.
    You know you can.
    I am still trying to work out your line of work!
    Woop woop woop well done you and hurrah for your clever friend.

Go on - you are clearly worth it

Rosa xx
    Originally posted by RosaBernicia
    Lion tamer!

DIA, don't apologise, just confirm what your price is to lose your free time. Its then up to them to go ahead or not.
    Originally posted by redofromstart
    Thank you all for the encouragement. It worked. I just sent the text and Redo, you are so right about not apologising, so I cut my waffling text and just said what my rate was and asked if they wanted to proceed. I will let you know the outcome but I am okay either way. I am just glad I stuck to my newly decided rate
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 5th Feb 18, 9:56 PM
    • 54,896 Posts
    • 219,106 Thanks
    beanielou
    Well done on being strong.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger.
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 5th Feb 18, 10:29 PM
    • 3,493 Posts
    • 9,323 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    OMG that is such a good line Redo. Fits with what we were saying before about only giving time to things that serve our goals - and you're right, if we are giving up time for money, then it needs to be enough money to be worth it.

I think you will be joining my Post It inspirations wall!

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016
    MFW progress 3.3% ...

• RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 5th Feb 18, 11:43 PM
    • 3,493 Posts
    • 9,323 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    DIA, this just popped up on my FB feed and I thought of you

https://www.ted.com/talks/casey_brown_know_your_worth_and_then_ask_for_it?ut m_campaign=tedspread--a&utm_content=talk&utm_medium=referral&utm_source= tedcomshare&utm_term=business

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016
    MFW progress 3.3% ...

• doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 6th Feb 18, 8:34 AM
    • 3,147 Posts
    • 15,776 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    I have to agree with you Rosa. I found this inspirational too.
    Well done on being strong.
    Thanks Beanie
    I just listened to this. So powerful and relevant and helpful. She confirmed that women have this issue generally and so do people new in this area, but I understand it better now. Thank you
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 6th Feb 18, 4:05 PM
    • 1,767 Posts
    • 10,612 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Thanks both - I read a few 'consultant - market yourself' type books years ago and some of it still sticks in my head.
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 6th Feb 18, 6:47 PM
    • 2,504 Posts
    • 15,973 Thanks
    parsniphead
    Fantastic news on putting up your prices. It's such a difficult thing to do and something I struggle with personally.

You're on h3ll of a woman. Inspiring.
    My mini challenge: pay off MBNA by 31/08/18. £233.10/£502 46.43%
    Total outstanding consumer debt - £333.10/ £7864.52 4.23%
    Without ambition one starts nothing. Without work one finishes nothing. The prize will not be sent to you. You have to win it.Ē -Ralph Waldo Emerson
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 6th Feb 18, 6:56 PM
    • 3,147 Posts
    • 15,776 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Fantastic news on putting up your prices. It's such a difficult thing to do and something I struggle with personally.
    You're on h3ll of a woman. Inspiring.
    Originally posted by parsniphead
    Honestly Parsniphead I was terrified and I can't quite believe I did it. Far from being a hell of a woman I am a bit of a wimp, but I am learning. I have worked out how I want to live, how much I need so my rate has been set by that really. Also I know people who do what I do and less well but ask for more price wise.
    Even the person who I sent my new price to after a whole day of procrastination came back to me today and hasn't even mentioned the price so it is only an issue in my head
    I feel so pleased about this and appreciate the support on here as it gave me the confidence to do it
    I URGE YOU TO REVIEW YOUR PRICES TOO. ASK FOR WHAT YOU DESERVE ON THIS 100TH ANNIVERSARY OF THE SUFFRAGETTES. A bit over the top? Maybe

My next 'out of my comfort zone' event is going to the interview for the new job. As usual, nothing decent to wear...
    Last edited by doingitanyway; 06-02-2018 at 6:59 PM.
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 6th Feb 18, 7:03 PM
    • 54,896 Posts
    • 219,106 Thanks
    beanielou
    Well the answer to that of course is to buy something fabulous to go with your fabulous new bag

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 6th Feb 18, 7:10 PM
    • 3,147 Posts
    • 15,776 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Well the answer to that of course is to buy something fabulous to go with your fabulous new bag
    Thanks Beanie, but the bag purchased has wiped me out. I am eating from the freezer and counting down to payday so no new clothes for me. I will start thinking about an outfit tonight so I don't go into panic mode...
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 6th Feb 18, 7:46 PM
    • 3,493 Posts
    • 9,323 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    I know people who do what I do and less well but ask for more price wise.
    Even the person who I sent my new price to after a whole day of procrastination came back to me today and hasn't even mentioned the price so it is only an issue in my head
    I feel so pleased about this and appreciate the support on here as it gave me the confidence to do it
    Originally posted by doingitanyway
    Yaaaayyy

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016
    MFW progress 3.3% ...

• RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 6th Feb 18, 7:51 PM
    • 3,493 Posts
    • 9,323 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Thanks Beanie, but the bag purchased has wiped me out. I am eating from the freezer and counting down to payday so no new clothes for me. I will start thinking about an outfit tonight so I don't go into panic mode...
    Originally posted by doingitanyway
    There's always 3bay (source of most of my workwear - brands I could never afford at full price). Though do pick something you're happy in as you want to feel confident. Perhaps there's something hiding in the wardrobe or a new combination that could hit the spot?

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016
    MFW progress 3.3% ...

• redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 6th Feb 18, 7:59 PM
    • 1,767 Posts
    • 10,612 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Something you are comfortable in, but that looks professional and not too obviously new. I do a lot of interviewing and it sometimes fascinates me what people choose to wear. Too much detail is quite distracting, especially for easily distracted me.

You are so right on the pricing. What I do wipes me out over the space of a couple of months and I need to build that in to my numbers.
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 6th Feb 18, 8:17 PM
    • 1,836 Posts
    • 6,819 Thanks
    JoJoC
    I've got some gorgeous professional work dresses from eBay in the past - my favourite ones are both by Next and I paid £8 or less each for them. Worth a shout?

Well done on the pricing victory! I haven't been in your position but when interviewing and asking what salary people want it's surprising how many people are really coy about it and downplay it and say they're more or less happy to take anything. Even if that is the case you need to value yourself and even if you don't, you need to show your employer that you value yourself! The same applies to your SE work - and it has paid off! Literally!
    CC1: £4481.14/ £5031.14 (12% paid off, £600) | CC2:£3307/ £3807 (14.4% paid off, £550) | Loan: £10,528.20/ £15,792.30((33% paid off, £5,264))

July debt total: £24,630.44 | New debt total: £18,316.34 | Total debt paid: £6,414.10 (26%)
    *My debt busting and savings diary*
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 6th Feb 18, 9:12 PM
    • 54,896 Posts
    • 219,106 Thanks
    beanielou
    Mudd & Water 'tis most fab.
    As long as you dont outbid me on ebay!!

***Keep plodding***
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 6th Feb 18, 9:42 PM
    • 3,493 Posts
    • 9,323 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    LK Bennett - £200+ new, don't think I've ever paid more than £40. Sizing seems to be consistent so I can be pretty sure things will fit and where the colour is off or it doesn't work for me it goes right back on 3bay.
    Debt free May 2016
    MFW progress 3.3% ...

• doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 6th Feb 18, 10:02 PM
    • 3,147 Posts
    • 15,776 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Thanks for all your helpful post ladies. What a smartly dressed bunch you lot must be.

I am probably the only person in the world who has never used the bay of E, so there is no chance of me outbidding you Beanie
    JoJo, I so agree it is about valuing yourself and to be honest the way I present is part of that too...
    Redo and Rosa I so agree on choosing something I feel comfortable in that isn't too distracting. I'll bear that in mind.
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 7th Feb 18, 9:56 AM
    • 1,891 Posts
    • 11,488 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    DIA I have missed so much these last few days.

You are sounding so determined in your work life balance , good for you. I am the same as you overthink everything, to scared to say or do something, then when you do it nobody is the least bit bothered.

I have the same make bag , bought pre LBM it is used daily in the winter and is in great condition.

For interview clothes , be comfortable as everyone has said. Good luck with getting your goals sorted .
    CC1 £3475 May 2018
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,043Posts Today

8,356Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Quick #eng pre-match poll. What result do you predict?

• I agree this glitch wasn't flights for 1p it was flights for c. £200 - I think many would've expected that to be th? https://t.co/QUTnlBLPkj

• Was the BA fare glitch fair? Are you one of those let down by BA cancelling cheap flights to Tel Avivandr Dubai? H? https://t.co/PvN8Zaxbue

• Follow Martin