Debate House Prices

In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non MoneySaving matters are no longer permitted. This includes wider debates about general house prices, the economy and politics. As a result, we have taken the decision to keep this board permanently closed, but it remains viewable for users who may find some useful information in it. Thank you for your understanding.

If we vote for Brexit what happens

Comments

• mwpt wrote: »
    Why? Why do dislike the EU so vehemently that is sounds as though you'd be willing to sacrifice your quality of life (and mine) in order to not be associated with it? And why do you take enjoyment in winding up your fellow citizens?

Devils advocate would say - what do you like so much about the EU that you would be willing to sacrifice the quality of life of people who live in coastal areas or in low paid work in order to be associated with it?

The same crap was thrown at the Norwegians when they had their referendum in 94. The sky will fall in, jobs will be lost, your quality of life will be poorer, your taxes will rise, basically everything will go to pot.

None of it. NONE of it came true, and in fact the opposite came to pass.

Explain that away.
  • Tromking
    Tromking Posts: 2,691 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    mwpt wrote: »
    Why? Why do dislike the EU so vehemently that is sounds as though you'd be willing to sacrifice your quality of life (and mine) in order to not be associated with it? And why do you take enjoyment in winding up your fellow citizens?

For a start I don`t believe your supposition that Brexit means the sacrificing of my quality of life.
    Secondly, I`m not personally winding anybody up, it seems my vote to leave is/was enough to bring on a self-induced angst among Remainiacs that I have no control over.
    “Britain- A friend to all, beholden to none”. 🇬🇧
  • mwpt
    mwpt Posts: 2,502 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Tromking wrote: »
    For a start I don`t believe your supposition that Brexit means the sacrificing of my quality of life.

Ok, but the way you phrased your posts, it sounds as though if this was the case, it would be a price you would gladly pay. Which I don't understand.
    Secondly, I`m not personally winding anybody up, it seems my vote to leave is/was enough to bring on a self-induced angst among Remainiacs that I have no control over.

No, you're not. But you sounded glad that it was the case. Why?
  • StevieJ
    StevieJ Posts: 20,174 Forumite
    Devils advocate would say - what do you like so much about the EU that you would be willing to sacrifice the quality of life of people who live in coastal areas or in low paid work in order to be associated with it?

The same crap was thrown at the Norwegians when they had their referendum in 94. The sky will fall in, jobs will be lost, your quality of life will be poorer, your taxes will rise, basically everything will go to pot.

Explain that away

That is because they didn't leave the single market, still pay their dues and accept the four freedoms (without any say in it).
    'Just think for a moment what a prospect that is. A single market without barriers visible or invisible giving you direct and unhindered access to the purchasing power of over 300 million of the worlds wealthiest and most prosperous people' Margaret Thatcher
  • StevieJ wrote: »
    That is because they didn't leave the single market, still pay their dues and accept the four freedoms (without any say in it).

I'd be equally as happy with single market access and the 4 freedoms. Doesn't matter that we won't have a say in it. We don't have a say in matters in the USA yet they account for ~15% of our exports.
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post

Explain that away.
    Norway's economy is very different from the UK's, it's a large farm/fishery with some hydroelectric plants and oilfields attached.
    With their vast land per capita, immigration was the last thing on their minds. As it is, the very canny Norwegian negotiators did protect the things that matter most, their agriculture and fishing. They've faced the question about paying the usual dues into the EU and seem satisfied with the overall result.

The U.K. with its own and very different priorities should therefore be able to strike it's own decent post-Brexit deal.
  • buglawton wrote: »
    Norway's economy is very different from the UK's, it's a large farm/fishery with some hydroelectric plants and oilfields attached.
    With their vast land per capita, immigration was the last thing on their minds. As it is, the very canny Norwegian negotiators did protect the things that matter most, their agriculture and fishing. They've faced the question about paying the usual dues into the EU and seem satisfied with the overall result.

The U.K. with its own and very different priorities should therefore be able to strike it's own decent post-Brexit deal.

My point wasn't that we should be or are like Norway.

It was that the same crap excuses and reasons were used to try to persuade Norway to join the EU in 94 that had been used by the Remain side in the recent referendum.

You can see for yourself what the pro-EU campaign were saying in Norway in 94. Similar words, different numbers involved.
  • Kohoutek
    Kohoutek Posts: 2,861 Forumite
    buglawton wrote: »

On migration it's far less different than you suggest. 80% of Norway's population lives in cities compared with 83% of the UK's. Norway accepts more EU migrants per capita than the UK.
  • CLAPTON
    CLAPTON Posts: 41,865 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Kohoutek wrote: »
    On migration it's far less different than you suggest. 80% of Norway's population lives in cities compared with 83% of the UK's. Norway accepts more EU migrants per capita than the UK.

83% of Brazil is 'urban'
  • A_Medium_Size_Jock
    A_Medium_Size_Jock Posts: 3,216 Forumite
    edited 4 September 2016 at 4:08PM
    Kohoutek wrote: »
    Are you choosing to ignore Norway's requirements?
    Including:
    but after three months, you must register with the Police in one of the following categories for your right to remain in Norway
    and:
    In summary, citizens of an EU/EEA country can come to Norway to look for work for up to six months. Once you find work, it is relatively straightforward to register and stay in Norway.
    ;)

However (as TrickyTree has said) :
    It is not about the migration; it's about using the same reasoning and wording as persuasion. :p

ETA - linky: http://www.lifeinnorway.net/move/immigration/immigration-europe/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure