Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Newyorkdreams
    • By Newyorkdreams 3rd Jan 16, 1:46 PM
    • 565Posts
    • 1,327Thanks
    Newyorkdreams
    So..what do you want to achieve in 2016?
    • 3rd Jan 16, 1:46 PM
    So..what do you want to achieve in 2016? 3rd Jan 16 at 1:46 PM
    Good Afternoon Everyone and Happy New Year!

Over the last 2 years, a number of us have committed to achieving a number of goals across financial, social, professional, physical and emotional areas of our lives.

By focusing our mind and efforts and committing to the achievement of achievable but challenging objectives we managed to successfully improve many areas of our lives.

And I'm back in 2016 to encourage peeps to sign up to it this year!

All you need to do is commit to 1 or more goal in 2016 (can be as many as you like but better to keep the list manageable!) either financial or non-financially related and then report back at a frequency determined by you! The more people who take part, the better as the more people the more accountability and the more support and encouragement!

So... are you up for it??? Join in now with your goal(s) for 2016.

NYD xx

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!
    This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by Former MSE Jessica; 13-09-2016 at 2:09 PM.
    Debt busting for 5 years. 3 more years to go until DFD. I've learned a lot along the way and wiser now than I've ever been.
Page 4
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 3rd Jul 16, 3:42 PM
    • 3,607 Posts
    • 32,919 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    Read 216 books (200/216)
    Read the Inspector Morse books (13/13) - DONE
    Finish stitching Medieval Dog
    Start stitching Medieval Rabbit
    Finish Winnie the Pooh year (0/12)
    Start stitching Map of Cambridgeshire
    Finish small Crewelwork piece - DONE
    Get knitting done to over half way - DONE
    Knit 13 sampler squares (2/13)
    Knit a cowl - DONE
    Go to a Clinique counter and get my skin assessed!
    Wear make up 26 times (20/26)
    One day get to 2,000 steps (this one will be tricky) - DONE!!
    Do 13 new recipes (13/13) - DONE
    Have a facial and back massage - DONE
    Blog weekly (or more often if possible) (52/52) - DONE

Happy with the way this is going, but I need to crack on with the crafting!
    Must use my stash up!
    • Newyorkdreams
    • By Newyorkdreams 3rd Jul 16, 9:19 PM
    • 565 Posts
    • 1,327 Thanks
    Newyorkdreams
    Hi everyone...It's half way through the year so thought I would update. It's not looking too good so I need to up the ante a little!

[COLOR="Red"]Pay off 2 credit cards and £12, 000 worth of debt - both credit cards paid off. On track to pay off approx. £13, 500 this year.[/COLOR]

Save £200 per month for holidays and emergencies. £200 saved every month since January.

Complete Mini NYD Memory Book of first year - not done yet.

Reach target of 70lbs weight loss. No where near!

Exfoliate once a week - going ok when I remember!

Drink 2 litres of water per day- nope. Must try harder.

Attend exercise class once per week - as above.

Organise weekend away with good friends - going away in September. Can't wait.

Read 4 books – 3 got for Christmas plus one extra. No time to read! Well, need to make time.

Read influence blog and prepare reflective notes for personal development - started but did not continue. Will restart.

Update Mini NYD’s Baby Book with her ‘firsts’. Need to find the book first!

Declutter Kitchen Cupboard - COMPLETE! YAY!
    Debt busting for 5 years. 3 more years to go until DFD. I've learned a lot along the way and wiser now than I've ever been.
    • Spoonhead88
    • By Spoonhead88 4th Jul 16, 6:22 AM
    • 96 Posts
    • 117 Thanks
    Spoonhead88
    Hey everyone,

Seeing as we are now in the back half of 2016 (Damn that went fast) I wanted to join the group with some goal I wanted to hit by the end of the year:

1. Debt Free £3,001 (40% Paid)

2. Walk 216 Miles

3. Climb Whernside

5. Get me weight down to 140kg
    Last edited by Spoonhead88; 04-07-2016 at 6:33 AM.

DMP - JAN 2016
    Estimated DFD - August 2018 December 2016
    100% Paid
    • AspiringButAnxious
    • By AspiringButAnxious 31st Aug 16, 9:36 PM
    • 680 Posts
    • 2,787 Thanks
    AspiringButAnxious
    Wow, this thread has been quiet over summer! Hope everyone is happy, wherever they are with their goals

1. Continue paying my debt, overpaying if/possible. Added to loan and cc over a very expensive couple of months, but bought stuff which brings me happiness and impulse buys were restricted to ebooks.

2. Save £1500 in my emergency fund; aiming for £1000 by the end of May. Now £500 and will stay as such while I focus on my Rainy Day Fund! Missed May target by a country mile.

3. Save £500 in rainy day fund. Raided to pay for novel editing course, so down to £3.16.

4. Use Amazon vouchers earned from surveys to pay for presents and treats for myself. Currently have £15 balance .

5. Get off benefits — preferably by earning at least £90 per week through self-employment, or by getting a job if I am able (I have long term mental health problems which affect my ability to work). Done!

6. Lose 120lbs. Currently a smidge over 260lb and my initial target is 140lb. 249.5lbs and actively losing weight again. Also joined the gym and am doing 3 classes per week, plus trying to do more walking.

7. Meditate and do yoga regularly. I feel better when I do this, but don't get around to doing it often enough! Much better! I meditate most days and have been doing more yoga stretching.

8. Redraft my novel to a good standard. Enrolled on a novel editing course designed to whip first drafts into shape, so hope it will be looking good in a few months.

9. Try to get an agent, when the novel is in a decent state. No progress, since novel is not in decent state.

10. Write the draft of another novel. Been working on it .

11. Do an Arvon course — my mental health and finances may prevent this, but I would really like to go on a residential writing course and Arvon has a fabulous reputation. They do grants for people of limited means, but this would not cover the total cost. Done!

12. Submit at least 25 short stories to literary journals or competitions. These can be stories I've already written, as well as new ones. 4/25. Slacking on this, but submitted another to a competition and have more stories in various stages of development.

There has been a lot of upheaval over the past couple of months, including a massive change of mindset and reducing my antidepressants, so my lack of progress is par for the course. Hoping to knuckle down over the next few months and make huge strides towards my goals.
    Rainy day fund — 210/1000 Emergency fund — 1019/1500
    Loan — 560/19,300 = 2.9% Fun fund: 1/100 Credit card balance — 10
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 23rd Sep 16, 11:53 AM
    • 3,607 Posts
    • 32,919 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    Quick update from me

Read 216 books (216/216) - DONE
    Knit 13 sampler squares (2/13)
    Knit a cowl - DONE
    Go to a Clinique counter and get my skin assessed! - DONE
    Wear make up 26 times (26/26) - DONE

Hmm the crafting seems to be taking a back seat, I think in future challenges I will only put one crafting challenge item down!
    Must use my stash up!
    • purpleposting4
    • By purpleposting4 23rd Sep 16, 8:18 PM
    • 478 Posts
    • 2,275 Thanks
    purpleposting4
    Joining in!

1. Make 2016 the year that we are completely debt-free! My debts will be cleared by June and hubbys before the end of the year. My debts are completely paid off, but my husband's isn't.

2. Save each month for Christmas, Holidays, Contingency Fund, House Deposit, Car Fund and Clothing. Do not use credit for any of these! Have started saving for Christtmas, and I have savings accounts set up for various savings things in the New Year. Haven't used credit since becoming debt free!

3. Sort out Health - having problems with joints and seeing a Rheumatologist soon. I know what my health problems are now, and although I am struggling, I know what's what and hopefully my team will get my meds sorted! Health is not going to be a quick fix, but at least I know what I'm dealing with now. My focus now is making myself as healthy as possible.

4. Continue to de-clutter and clean the house - doing really well at this and it becomes so much easier to keep the house clean when you have less stuff! I think I have run out of things to sell and minimise! House is less cluttered and easier to keep clean.

5. To pay more attention to my children and listen to everything they say, taking time to talk to them, play games with them and try and do more cheap days out and experiences with them this year. They're growing up fast! I love my kiddies xxx Definitely working on this even though I struggle with my health. I have done as much as I can so far this year to make sure they are happy, fed, clothed, loved and spend as much time as poss with them.

6.. To ultimately become debt-free, frugal, a minimalist, happy and live a credit-free life. Pretty much done!
    Originally posted by purpleposting4
    Not done too badly this year, but still have stuff to work on next year. My aims for the rest of the year and next are to continue to get healthy, continue to live a credit-free life, love my kiddies and try to help my hubby with his debts too. I hope everyone else is doing ok.
    • AspiringButAnxious
    • By AspiringButAnxious 1st Oct 16, 7:55 PM
    • 680 Posts
    • 2,787 Thanks
    AspiringButAnxious
    1. Continue paying my debt, overpaying if/possible. 17.3% paid off loan, but credit card balance is shocking. Just focusing on wellbeing and getting out more atm..

2. Save £1500 in my emergency fund; aiming for £1000 by the end of May. Now £500 and will stay as such while I focus on my Rainy Day Fund! Missed May target by a country mile.

3. Save £500 in rainy day fund. Raided to pay for novel editing course, so down to £3.16.

4. Use Amazon vouchers earned from surveys to pay for presents and treats for myself. Hmmmm.... Not happening.

5. Get off benefits — preferably by earning at least £90 per week through self-employment, or by getting a job if I am able (I have long term mental health problems which affect my ability to work). Done!

6. Lose 120lbs. Currently a smidge over 260lb and my initial target is 140lb. 242.5lbs and actively losing weight again. Being much more active and addressing my dietary habits. Would love to hit 200lbs by the end of the year, but as long as I continue losing weight I'll be kind of satisfied.

7. Meditate and do yoga regularly. I feel better when I do this, but don't get around to doing it often enough! Much better! I meditate most days and have been doing more yoga stretching.

8. Redraft my novel to a good standard. Enrolled on a novel editing course designed to whip first drafts into shape, so hope it will be looking good in a few months. Starts on Monday!

9. Try to get an agent, when the novel is in a decent state. No progress, since novel is not in decent state.

10. Write the draft of another novel. Been working on it .

11. Do an Arvon course — my mental health and finances may prevent this, but I would really like to go on a residential writing course and Arvon has a fabulous reputation. They do grants for people of limited means, but this would not cover the total cost. Done!

12. Submit at least 25 short stories to literary journals or competitions. These can be stories I've already written, as well as new ones. 8/25. 4 submitted over the past 8 days, so ramping up my efforts!.

This year has taken a completely different turn to what I expected... I have been off antidepressants for 2 weeks as of tomorrow Been gettig out more, going to jive and gym classes, plus a writing group, and working on my health and fitness more than finances.
    Rainy day fund — 210/1000 Emergency fund — 1019/1500
    Loan — 560/19,300 = 2.9% Fun fund: 1/100 Credit card balance — 10
    • Newyorkdreams
    • By Newyorkdreams 11th Nov 16, 10:30 PM
    • 565 Posts
    • 1,327 Thanks
    Newyorkdreams
    Well....the end of the year is fast approaching!

How have you done against your goals that you set at the start of the year?

Not long to go now!!

NYD x
    • FlacosFloozie
    • By FlacosFloozie 2nd Jan 17, 6:57 PM
    • 588 Posts
    • 2,538 Thanks
    FlacosFloozie
    Right, update and cofession time
    1) Stay debt free Done
    2) Save 5k towards house deposit and £500 emergency fund Done with an extra £32
    4) Run 5k in 30 minutes 32 minutes
    5) Run 10k without stopping Done
    6) Run in an organised race Ran the race for life
    7) Keep the house in a fit state for visitors Erm...
    8) Declutter the house Not so much...
    9) Try something new once a week Moving on....
    10) Do something sociable at least once a week Oh dear....
    11) Look more put together Nope
    12) Finish my course module
    14) Update course log monthly
    15) Be healthier Well, I'm not dead yet
    So some success but room for improvement. Onwards to 2017!
    Save 12K in 2018 £1518.23/7500 20 % Emergency Fund £6533.21/6750 96%
    Mortgage £159,995 £154,480 Overpaid £0 in 2018 Holiday Fund £125

Debt Fr
    ee 31.07.14

• Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 2nd Jan 17, 7:17 PM
    • 3,607 Posts
    • 32,919 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    Read 216 books (216/216) - DONE
    Knit 13 sampler squares (10/13)
    Knit a cowl - DONE
    Go to a Clinique counter and get my skin assessed! - DONE
    Wear make up 26 times (26/26) - DONE
    Must use my stash up!
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 2nd Jan 17, 7:18 PM
    • 3,607 Posts
    • 32,919 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    Are we having a 2017 thread?
    Must use my stash up!
    • Newyorkdreams
    • By Newyorkdreams 5th May 18, 12:27 AM
    • 565 Posts
    • 1,327 Thanks
    Newyorkdreams
    Is there any appetite to start this again? x
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 5th May 18, 12:39 PM
    • 3,607 Posts
    • 32,919 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    Originally posted by Newyorkdreams
    I would be happy to have the thread back up and running!
    Must use my stash up!
    • a_silver_lining
    • By a_silver_lining 6th May 18, 8:28 AM
    • 337 Posts
    • 945 Thanks
    a_silver_lining
    I've read a few pages and like the feel of the thread. I'm up for doing it
    19/12/14: Spent 10 years of savings!!
    ..... to buy my first home.

2018: 3k personal savings --- Family Loan (6k paid direct + 680.99 saver 2) 6680.99/ 10K paid 66.8%
    Extra cash made 2018: 1021.41
    • RhiBi
    • By RhiBi 6th May 18, 9:31 AM
    • 613 Posts
    • 1,768 Thanks
    RhiBi

I'd love to join in something like this xx
    Virtual Sealed Pot 2018 #7 £352.26/£350

1 debt vs 100 days £673.72/£1000
    • One-step-at-a-time
    • By One-step-at-a-time 8th May 18, 3:40 PM
    • 203 Posts
    • 699 Thanks
    One-step-at-a-time
    I'd love to do this if it starts up again!
    LBM: Jan 2017. Total owed: 46993.21
    Current debt: 29079.65 - 38% paid
    DFD: May 2021
    • onedaysomeday
    • By onedaysomeday 8th May 18, 4:38 PM
    • 560 Posts
    • 819 Thanks
    onedaysomeday
    I'd join in!
    Just trying to make up for past mistakes and work towards the future I want
    • Newyorkdreams
    • By Newyorkdreams 12th May 18, 11:09 PM
    • 565 Posts
    • 1,327 Thanks
    Newyorkdreams
    Hi Everyone, thanks for responding!

Seems there are a few of us who would be interested in following this thread so I'll set it up in the next few days. Watch out for it and share!

Start to have a think about what you want to achieve, financial or otherwise, in the next 7 months!

NYD x
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 13th May 18, 2:05 PM
    • 3,607 Posts
    • 32,919 Thanks
    Knit Witch

Seems there are a few of us who would be interested in following this thread so I'll set it up in the next few days. Watch out for it and share!

Start to have a think about what you want to achieve, financial or otherwise, in the next 7 months!

NYD x
    I still do my annual list after you got me started so I am good to go when the thread is up!
    Must use my stash up!
    • RhiBi
    • By RhiBi 13th May 18, 2:16 PM
    • 613 Posts
    • 1,768 Thanks
    RhiBi

NYD x
    Fantastic, thank you
    Virtual Sealed Pot 2018 #7 £352.26/£350

1 debt vs 100 days £673.72/£1000
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,009Posts Today

7,247Users online

Martin's Twitter