Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Rainy-Days
    • By Rainy-Days 30th Dec 15, 9:11 AM
    • 1,418Posts
    • 14,454Thanks
    Rainy-Days
    Face Cream!
    • 30th Dec 15, 9:11 AM
    Face Cream! 30th Dec 15 at 9:11 AM
    I have a significant confession to make - I have bought and spent allot of money over the years on expensive face creams. The truth of the matter is that despite spending sums amounting to around £400.00 to £500.00 per year none of it has worked!

Last month I sat down with a years worth of bank statements and 'totted' up what the spending of it would be and I was not only shocked, but disgusted with myself for spending such sums. One pot of cream was £50.00 and it lasted about six weeks.

Years ago I used to sit with my late mum of an evening and we both used to take our make-up off and then cleanse and moisturise our faces. Something we just did together. When my Mum was younger she used to use Pond's cream, but without any question she had really beautiful skin. She always said that I was wasting my money on these expensive products and that her cream was not just basic, but way better than anything else. Did I believe her - no!

I, on the other hand, would have Clinique! Expensive - yes! Then I moved to Estee Lauder and Clarins. Then I found L'Occitane and also Liz Earle. So, you can see over the years how this ritual has cost me allot.

In October - when I was back in Northants for a few weeks - I said to one of my closest friends that my skin, despite all the money spent on it, had not really progressed well. We had a long discussion on this and like me she had spent stupid sums. It was at this juncture that I said I was going back to basic stuff, the products mum used.

For decades Mum had used Boot's own traditional creams. They were more cost effective than the Pond's, they have bigger jars and in her view were effectively the same. I went into Boots and searched for these creams and finally there they were to my joy still being made, but languishing on the bottom shelf. I got the Cold Cream for cleasning (now in a plastic jar but it used to be opaque glass years ago) and a big 200ml tub of the A&E Traditional moisturising cream. I had a new bottle of toner so did not need to get anymore of that for the time being.

So, after cleansing my face with the Cold Cream, toning and then using this moisturiser and being nearly two months in to this 'experiment' I have to say that my skin has never, not ever, looked better. Allot of people have commented even DH!

My grand sum outlay for these two pots £5.55 £2.49 for the Cold Cream and £3.06 for the moisturiser. My friend has done exactly the same and she said that some scaly patches of dry skin on her cheekbones have not only gone, but that the redness has cleared up totally.

So, here it is, I think that buying and sticking with this will save me around about £350.00 to £400.00 per year. I cannot believe I have typed that, but I have. I have to say I am just ashamed of myself for spending vast sums on products that have neither lived up to their hype or even showm little in the way of performance. Yet these two cheapo pots have done such an amazing job.

So, thats it confession over. Allot of money will now be saved.
    Last edited by Rainy-Days; 30-12-2015 at 9:14 AM.
    Cat, Dogs and the Horses are our fag and beer money
Page 4
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 5th Jan 16, 6:35 PM
    • 24,044 Posts
    • 62,646 Thanks
    pollypenny
    Re prices, I checked my Number 7 pots yesterday - 50mls and £24.50 when full price.

Clinique 125 mls and £30 in the UK. I buy in the USA for $26. Good value .
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • the devil made me do it
    • By the devil made me do it 10th Jan 16, 10:33 PM
    • 5,424 Posts
    • 2,257 Thanks
    the devil made me do it
    I am trying a brand called Kaseo. It's incredibly cheap and total value for money. They do a range of skincare products for different types of skin. The products also do not contain any nasties either.

Well worth giving a go.
    • Kim kim
    • By Kim kim 11th Jan 16, 7:26 PM
    • 2,244 Posts
    • 3,358 Thanks
    Kim kim
    I am trying a brand called Kaseo. It's incredibly cheap and total value for money. They do a range of skincare products for different types of skin. The products also do not contain any nasties either.

Well worth giving a go.
    Originally posted by the devil made me do it
    I kinda go for those science lead products rather than natural ingredients. I like the science.
    Things full of essential oils smell beautiful, but I do like things chock full of matryxal this that & the other.
    • IronMaidenFan
    • By IronMaidenFan 11th Jan 16, 8:50 PM
    • 299 Posts
    • 189 Thanks
    IronMaidenFan

Well worth giving a go.
    Originally posted by the devil made me do it

I bought the Kaeso calming cleanser just before Christmas and have been using it twice a day - I love it. It's a good quality product and I paid £6.99 for a 500ml bottle - will last ages. Going to try some of their other products as well.
    • anamenottaken
    • By anamenottaken 11th Jan 16, 10:08 PM
    • 4,146 Posts
    • 3,632 Thanks
    anamenottaken
    Great thread RD.

The first oil I used was W****se pure facial oil but I can't get it anymore, not sure if its been discontinued. .
    Originally posted by Gers
    I bought 30ml of Waitrose pure facial oil earlier this month in the half-price sale.

http://www.waitrose.com/shop/DisplayProductFlyout?productId=334249
    • the devil made me do it
    • By the devil made me do it 13th Jan 16, 10:35 PM
    • 5,424 Posts
    • 2,257 Thanks
    the devil made me do it
    I bought the Kaeso calming cleanser just before Christmas and have been using it twice a day - I love it. It's a good quality product and I paid £6.99 for a 500ml bottle - will last ages. Going to try some of their other products as well.
    Originally posted by IronMaidenFan
    I've been using the Rebalancing moisturiser, but it's a little bit drying. So thinking about trying the age utopia face cream.
    • ColinFishwick
    • By ColinFishwick 14th Jan 16, 12:35 PM
    • 700 Posts
    • 877 Thanks
    ColinFishwick
    KFisher123 6 posts all the same reported
    • karom
    • By karom 16th Jan 16, 11:04 PM
    • 462 Posts
    • 2,005 Thanks
    karom
    Interesting thread to read. I have similar misgivings for eye cream. Got into the Dior at £70 a pot (!?!?!?) I have now moved to nuxe then caudalie. Not satisfying results, moving now to Vichy and started yesterday the serum to assess how good it is. Still very much a fraction of the price. Not as low as the prices discussed in this thread but difficult to find something fitting for eye area
    MFW on your mark
    • Kim kim
    • By Kim kim 17th Jan 16, 6:55 AM
    • 2,244 Posts
    • 3,358 Thanks
    Kim kim
    Interesting thread to read. I have similar misgivings for eye cream. Got into the Dior at £70 a pot (!?!?!?) I have now moved to nuxe then caudalie. Not satisfying results, moving now to Vichy and started yesterday the serum to assess how good it is. Still very much a fraction of the price. Not as low as the prices discussed in this thread but difficult to find something fitting for eye area
    Originally posted by karom
    Ive tried loads of eye creams & I always come back to Gatineau defi lift eye cream.
    It doesn't irritate my eyes, I can use it all over, right over & under the whole eye area.
    I wish I could find one where you get more than 15ml for that money, but I can't find an equal, let alone better.
    • morocha
    • By morocha 18th Jan 16, 2:43 PM
    • 1,543 Posts
    • 3,446 Thanks
    morocha
    Can anyone recommend something for combo skin ? I am 31 and have a line in the middle of my eyebrows that is driving me nuts... given the nature of my skin, I produce a lot of oil so no lines or wrinkles anywhere else.
    Mejor morir de pie que vivir toda una vida de rodillas.
    • karom
    • By karom 18th Jan 16, 10:39 PM
    • 462 Posts
    • 2,005 Thanks
    karom
    Kim Kim, persevering with Vichy Actilift, feels better than the eye cream to date used from Caudalie/Nuxe but early days. Love Gatineau for their eye make remover and hawking the 400ml bottle that can get to as low as 22 pounds from time to time thus cheaper than a small l'oreal one
    MFW on your mark
    • Gers
    • By Gers 19th Jan 16, 2:36 PM
    • 6,484 Posts
    • 41,255 Thanks
    Gers
    I bought 30ml of Waitrose pure facial oil earlier this month in the half-price sale.

http://www.waitrose.com/shop/DisplayProductFlyout?productId=334249
    Originally posted by anamenottaken
    Thanks - I saw it in one shop on sale so bought three bottles. All turned out to be off, smelt rancid so I returned them. On an off chance I went to a different branch and got some in the sale and all fresh. Think they may have been removed for Christmas stuff!
    • luhrmann
    • By luhrmann 19th Jan 16, 11:34 PM
    • 33 Posts
    • 52 Thanks
    luhrmann
    any recommendations for a good night cream? i have combination skin, slightly sensitive and suffer from mild breakouts - i cannot seem to shake the lingering whiteheads that are always around i'm 27 so not overly concerned with wrinkles - although perhaps i should be taking preemptive action?
    £2016 in 2016: £30.37
    • Gemzie121
    • By Gemzie121 20th Jan 16, 1:05 AM
    • 660 Posts
    • 4,483 Thanks
    Gemzie121
    I currently use body shop vitamin e night cream but the best I've tried was the green Garnier one, of which the name escapes me. There's ones in the range for different types of skin. Think the green was for combination skin. It makes my skin feel lovely and velvety and not at all greasy.
    No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries 2015/2016/2017/2018

UUs for 2016: 513 In's: 447 UUs for 2017: 207 Ins: 161
    UUs for 2018: In's:
    Self Confessed Lush Addict!
    • cashewnut
    • By cashewnut 20th Jan 16, 8:51 AM
    • 333 Posts
    • 575 Thanks
    cashewnut
    Can anyone recommend something for combo skin ? I am 31 and have a line in the middle of my eyebrows that is driving me nuts... given the nature of my skin, I produce a lot of oil so no lines or wrinkles anywhere else.
    Originally posted by morocha
    No cream is going to shift a prominent line unfortunately
    • robbyfine
    • By robbyfine 3rd Feb 16, 9:08 PM
    • 65 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    robbyfine
    I like Nivea day and night
    • Paulaviki
    • By Paulaviki 3rd Feb 16, 9:23 PM
    • 262 Posts
    • 300 Thanks
    Paulaviki
    I've gone the other way. Was using cheaper supermarket products but had horrendous spots last year (I'm 33). So I went back to using dermalogica face wash and moisturiser and also cut down on dairy. My skin has been so good since I made the change and I'll happily pay to keep the spots at bay. The face wash costs £33 for a huge bottle which has lasted 6 months and a tube of moisturiser is about £30 and lasts about 3 months. I'd rather buy cheaper products but they don't agree with me!
    • Skyler34
    • By Skyler34 6th Jan 18, 11:07 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Skyler34
    I bought Awaderm, I really like that cream, itís for wrinkles, and I cannot say itís inexpensive, but compared to other creams of the same quality, itís economical.
    • Kim kim
    • By Kim kim 6th Jan 18, 12:24 PM
    • 2,244 Posts
    • 3,358 Thanks
    Kim kim
    I've gone the other way. Was using cheaper supermarket products but had horrendous spots last year (I'm 33). So I went back to using dermalogica face wash and moisturiser and also cut down on dairy. My skin has been so good since I made the change and I'll happily pay to keep the spots at bay. The face wash costs £33 for a huge bottle which has lasted 6 months and a tube of moisturiser is about £30 and lasts about 3 months. I'd rather buy cheaper products but they don't agree with me!
    Originally posted by Paulaviki
    What exact products do you use can I ask?
    • Kim kim
    • By Kim kim 16th Feb 18, 6:46 AM
    • 2,244 Posts
    • 3,358 Thanks
    Kim kim
    Kim Kim, persevering with Vichy Actilift, feels better than the eye cream to date used from Caudalie/Nuxe but early days. Love Gatineau for their eye make remover and hawking the 400ml bottle that can get to as low as 22 pounds from time to time thus cheaper than a small l'oreal one
    Originally posted by karom
    I love their new formulation eye makeup remover - wasnít so impressed with the old one.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,632Posts Today

9,199Users online

Martin's Twitter