Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Fraser
    • By MSE Fraser 21st Dec 15, 1:19 PM
    • 30Posts
    • 4Thanks
    MSE Fraser
    Bulb Reviews: Give your feedback on the energy supplier
    • 21st Dec 15, 1:19 PM
    Bulb Reviews: Give your feedback on the energy supplier 21st Dec 15 at 1:19 PM
    This is a feedback thread on energy supplier

Bulb

Please share your experience with other MoneySavers. Click reply to take part
    • Did you switch go smoothly?
    • Have you had problems since?
    • Is it easy to contact?
    The feedback comes as part of the

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply.

Please don't post Bulb referral links here. Referral links can be posted on the dedicated Referrers Board. Thanks!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 07-09-2017 at 5:01 PM.
Page 9
    • fatbelly
    • By fatbelly 9th Jan 18, 5:20 PM
    • 12,362 Posts
    • 9,403 Thanks
    fatbelly
    All the indications are that they will be joining the WHD scheme for the 18/19 winter even though their customer numbers were not quite high enough by 31 December 2017 to make it compulsory for them to do so.
    • Capyboppy
    • By Capyboppy 9th Jan 18, 9:44 PM
    • 382 Posts
    • 88 Thanks
    Capyboppy
    Sounds good. I shall be watching attentively ready to switch. My only hesitancy to do so now is because the lad on the live chat didn't even have a clue about this, nor did he know what was stated on the Bulb website. I will certainly be jumping ship from SP when they do.
    • philthunder
    • By philthunder 17th Jan 18, 11:23 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    philthunder
    Terrible Billing

I have been with Bulb for 8 months now and have yet to get a correct bill. So 10 bills, two corrected, (and they were still wrong), I have just about given up. Gas calorific calculation wrong, usage calculations a few pence dearer, meter readings taken to the wrong reading. I need a hot line to the "NO" Help Desk. Yes they answer promptly, but what is the use of that if they are useless at what they do. Their usual answer is "yes we bill at 4 decimal places but only show pricing at 2". But even calculating to the 4 decimal places they are still wrong!
    To be fair they did offer £10 compensation, not much considering I have to check their every calculation.
    NOW they are asking for the 1/10Kw reading off the meter, another excuse to round the figures up? No other utility company has asked for this reading!

The charges shown for Bulb on the comparison site are different to what I am charged!
    My bill Vari-Fair
    Electricity Bulb 11.9729p S/charge 23.39p
    Gas Bulb 2.5008p S/charge 23.39p
    Dual fuel Discount £14.29 each
    Bulbs Vari-Fair Web figures
    Electricity 12.572p S/charge 24.56p
    Gas 26.26p S/charge 24.56p
    Dual Fuel Discount £15 each

Altogether I would not recommend this company, unless you like maths and a good argument every month.
    Last edited by philthunder; 17-01-2018 at 11:26 AM.
    • trickytree1963
    • By trickytree1963 17th Jan 18, 12:06 PM
    • 248 Posts
    • 149 Thanks
    trickytree1963

I have been with Bulb for 8 months now and have yet to get a correct bill. So 10 bills, two corrected, (and they were still wrong), I have just about given up. Gas calorific calculation wrong, usage calculations a few pence dearer, meter readings taken to the wrong reading. I need a hot line to the "NO" Help Desk. Yes they answer promptly, but what is the use of that if they are useless at what they do. Their usual answer is "yes we bill at 4 decimal places but only show pricing at 2". But even calculating to the 4 decimal places they are still wrong!
    To be fair they did offer £10 compensation, not much considering I have to check their every calculation.
    NOW they are asking for the 1/10Kw reading off the meter, another excuse to round the figures up? No other utility company has asked for this reading!

The charges shown for Bulb on the comparison site are different to what I am charged!
    My bill Vari-Fair
    Electricity Bulb 11.9729p S/charge 23.39p
    Gas Bulb 2.5008p S/charge 23.39p
    Dual fuel Discount £14.29 each
    Bulbs Vari-Fair Web figures
    Electricity 12.572p S/charge 24.56p
    Gas 26.26p S/charge 24.56p
    Dual Fuel Discount £15 each

Altogether I would not recommend this company, unless you like maths and a good argument every month.
    Originally posted by philthunder
    Have you not factored 5% VAT in the figures you quote?
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 17th Jan 18, 12:32 PM
    • 4,136 Posts
    • 1,671 Thanks
    footyguy
    Philthunder's thread and lots of replies here:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5752997

He adsmits in post#13 from last month he has failed to take account of VAT, yet still seems to be banging on about it in this thread now

Another one I will wish Good Luck to...
    • Filo25
    • By Filo25 18th Jan 18, 5:04 PM
    • 1,510 Posts
    • 2,214 Thanks
    Filo25
    Been with Bulb for just over a year now, and still very happy with them, from the point of the switch onwards they have been extremely helpful and easy to deal with.
    Last edited by Filo25; 18-01-2018 at 5:09 PM.
    • Lungboy
    • By Lungboy 20th Jan 18, 3:54 PM
    • 1,409 Posts
    • 1,352 Thanks
    Lungboy
    I switched to Bulb on the 5th of Jan, but i've just had a bill from my old supplier (Gnergy) up to including the 15th, and I'm yet to have a final statement from Gnergy. Do i speak to Bulb or Gnergy to sort this? Helpfully, neither are available on a weekend.
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 20th Jan 18, 4:24 PM
    • 5,936 Posts
    • 3,656 Thanks
    Hengus
    I switched to Bulb on the 5th of Jan, but i've just had a bill from my old supplier (Gnergy) up to including the 15th, and I'm yet to have a final statement from Gnergy. Do i speak to Bulb or Gnergy to sort this? Helpfully, neither are available on a weekend.
    Originally posted by Lungboy
    The gaining supplier is responsible for managing all aspects of a switch. On switch all meter readings go to a third party for verification. This process can take up to 10 days. The losing supplier has 6 weeks from the date of the actual transfer to raise a Final Bill. I suspect that the bill of the 15th is just your old supplier!!!8217;s normal billing cycle: it will not close your account until it is notified that their has been a successful transfer of supply. This billing error will be rectified when your final bill is raised. You will know when your meter readings have been verified once your online account with Bulb goes live and an opening meter reading is showing on the account.
    Last edited by Hengus; 20-01-2018 at 4:31 PM.
    • Lungboy
    • By Lungboy 20th Jan 18, 5:38 PM
    • 1,409 Posts
    • 1,352 Thanks
    Lungboy
    The gaining supplier is responsible for managing all aspects of a switch. On switch all meter readings go to a third party for verification. This process can take up to 10 days. The losing supplier has 6 weeks from the date of the actual transfer to raise a Final Bill. I suspect that the bill of the 15th is just your old supplierís normal billing cycle: it will not close your account until it is notified that their has been a successful transfer of supply. This billing error will be rectified when your final bill is raised. You will know when your meter readings have been verified once your online account with Bulb goes live and an opening meter reading is showing on the account.
    Originally posted by Hengus
    My Bulb account is live and I have opening readings showing.
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 20th Jan 18, 6:08 PM
    • 5,936 Posts
    • 3,656 Thanks
    Hengus
    My Bulb account is live and I have opening readings showing.
    Originally posted by Lungboy
    Then by all means have a conversation with your old supplier but my guess is that you will be fobbed off as a lot of small suppliers are playing the 6 week regulation to the day to maximise their cash flow. If I recall, Bulb mentions old supplier final billing in its Welcome Pack.
    • Moppy01
    • By Moppy01 21st Jan 18, 3:07 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Moppy01
    Have just switched to Bulb and its the quickest and easiest switch i've done. They kept in contact through the whole process and so far really happy with them.
    • Bill_Young
    • By Bill_Young 22nd Jan 18, 3:43 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Bill_Young
    I apparently switched to Bulb on 4th December, through the Cheap Energy Club but not peep from them. Not even an acknowledgement!

Now the Cheap Energy Club is showing Bulb as dearer than my current supplier even on standard tariff - how do I cancel and start again!!
    • Rm1505
    • By Rm1505 8th Feb 18, 11:10 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Rm1505
    Are bulb still doing the hotel chocolat gift when joining as I just joined a couple of weeks ago and didnít receive any !!!128519;
    • astrok
    • By astrok 15th Feb 18, 3:00 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    astrok
    Moved to Bulb through the Energy Club. Process went smoothly. Not impressed with casual assumed use of my firstname, I want to be a customer not suddenly become their 'mate'. After a few months one of my meters started to make a loud noise. Used their chat option on the website but the person seemed reluctant to chat and wanted to call me (not possible at that time for me). Then after I told her about the noise from the meter she said all meters make some noise, not impressed as this could be heard throughout the house and had been fine for 15+ years. Eventually managed to persuade her to book an engineer to come and replace the meter. The date arrived, no show, no comms, no nothing. Brilliant. Second date arrived and this time sorted. A couple of weeks later I get an email from them containing the first name and address of one of their other customers including their monthly payment amount. I think I'll be moving on from Bulb.
    • ASavvyBuyer
    • By ASavvyBuyer 15th Feb 18, 8:36 AM
    • 780 Posts
    • 2,113 Thanks
    ASavvyBuyer
    Moved to Bulb through the Energy Club.
    Originally posted by astrok
    Why?
    You could have used a referral code and got £50 credited to your account
    • Walaboobah
    • By Walaboobah 15th Feb 18, 6:27 PM
    • 288 Posts
    • 220 Thanks
    Walaboobah
    Just signed up to Bulb using a Friend's Referral Code earning them £50 and us £50! Also Bulb will pay the £70 exit fee with EDF and the bill works out at £5 a month less than it did with EDF who have been far and away the cheapest suppliers for a while in our area. Have switched tariff's a number of times with them but not been able to leave until now.

I'm well happy, and so's my friend!
    • CaptGraybags
    • By CaptGraybags 27th Feb 18, 4:44 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    CaptGraybags
    Only one problem so far...
    My switch to Bulb went through a month ago - and I am very happy with price I am now paying for energy, however....
    When I had to enter my initial meter readings a couple of days before transfer, the website wouldn't accept them, so I emailed the problem to your support team. No response by transfer day so I telephoned through the readings, which the agent assured me had been entered. Yesterday I logged on to upload this months meter readings only to find that the previous electricity meter reading was incorrect and not what I had reported.
    It seems you had entered a reading as reported by my previous supplier - a reading you advised me you were suspicious about. No doubt they (Spark) are trying to scam you as well as me!
    • fatbelly
    • By fatbelly 27th Feb 18, 4:58 PM
    • 12,362 Posts
    • 9,403 Thanks
    fatbelly
    Price increase from April
    In December, we said we might need to increase our prices. Sadly, wholesale energy costs have stayed high, which means we will need to increase prices by 2.8% for a typical home.

These new prices will take effect from 28 April. No one likes a price increase, so we're giving you 60 days' notice to mull things over.
    Just had the email
    • gz989
    • By gz989 27th Feb 18, 5:09 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    gz989
    Switched recently to Bulb, going live on the 6th March. I'm currently with Iresa and thinking of cancelling my direct debit with them via my bank, just in case they mess up the final bill and I can query it before payment. Is that a good or bad idea - would it affect my credit rating? TIA
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 1st Mar 18, 4:28 PM
    • 3,678 Posts
    • 951 Thanks
    Anthorn
    Switched recently to Bulb, going live on the 6th March. I'm currently with Iresa and thinking of cancelling my direct debit with them via my bank, just in case they mess up the final bill and I can query it before payment. Is that a good or bad idea - would it affect my credit rating? TIA
    Originally posted by gz989
    Cancelling the direct debit prior to the final bill is overall a bad idea depending on how Bulb issue refunds and how the bill is paid: If they pay credits to the same account as the DD you could lose out or have to pay a fee for a payment for example by cheque. Or it could be you will be charge extra for the DD bouncing and/or to pay by a different means. You will need to check on Bulb's conditions.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,069Posts Today

5,215Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ah these care free days of watching #ENG score 5 goals in the first half of a World Cup match. It reminds me of... Never.

• Then it should be. It's not some accident. It's deliberate grappling https://t.co/UxVTuUSNio

• Penalty yes but time someone was sent off for these wrestling moves #WorldCup

• Follow Martin