Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Fraser
    • By MSE Fraser 21st Dec 15, 12:19 PM
    • 30Posts
    • 4Thanks
    MSE Fraser
    Bulb Energy Reviews: Give your feedback on the energy supplier
    • 21st Dec 15, 12:19 PM
    Bulb Energy Reviews: Give your feedback on the energy supplier 21st Dec 15 at 12:19 PM
    This is a feedback thread on energy supplier

Bulb

Please share your experience with other MoneySavers. Click reply to take part
    • Did you switch go smoothly?
    • Have you had problems since?
    • Is it easy to contact?
    The feedback comes as part of the

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Please don't post Bulb referral links here. Referral links can be posted on the dedicated Referrers Board. Thanks!
    Last edited by Former MSE Andrea; 26-07-2018 at 10:38 AM.
Page 26
    • jamese
    • By jamese 10th Apr 19, 1:45 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jamese
    I have recently signed up to Bulb Energy through the Energy Club, I only have Economy 7 and not Gas. Do I qualify for Bulb £40 bill credit.

Thanks
    James
    • bristolleedsfan
    • By bristolleedsfan 10th Apr 19, 3:01 AM
    • 7,644 Posts
    • 9,702 Thanks
    bristolleedsfan
    I have recently signed up to Bulb Energy through the Energy Club, I only have Economy 7 and not Gas. Do I qualify for Bulb £40 bill credit.

Thanks
    James
    Originally posted by jamese

Feedback I have had from those who have used my link is that Bulb have been adding 50.00 Bill credit for Electricity only as well as Dual Fuel switches
    • roddydogs
    • By roddydogs 10th Apr 19, 7:20 AM
    • 6,189 Posts
    • 2,631 Thanks
    roddydogs
    With all thes people circulating between bulb, pure planet, and octopus just for the bonus/amazon vouchers, its surprising any of them makes a profit! Re the above post I dont think you get the £50 if you use CEC,
    Last edited by roddydogs; 10-04-2019 at 7:22 AM.
    • gsmlnx
    • By gsmlnx 10th Apr 19, 9:51 AM
    • 1,507 Posts
    • 1,097 Thanks
    gsmlnx

Thanks
    James
    Originally posted by jamese
    Are you referring to this weeks newsletter offer for Bulb?
    You would get whatever the Energy Club offer was at the time you signed up to Bulb via the club and the cashback offers would have been mentioned at that time.
    Just checking the offer, I did notice that the mention of £40 extra vanished when I went from dual fuel to electricity only in the Cheap Energy Club so that offer looked like a duel fuel only offer anyway.
    • donovanh
    • By donovanh 11th Apr 19, 11:25 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    donovanh
    Bulb: saving the world – with our wallets
    Although Bulb claims to deliver renewably sourced energy to our homes at reasonable or even better prices than the big 6 energy suppliers, from my experience, the reality is a different story. It felt good to switch from one of the “big, bad suppliers” to a cozier, friendlier and greener one, based mostly on energy from renewable energy sources. And apparently the energy costs for our home would remain the same or even lower. And guess what? It did, for a while. For over a year, we were happily cruising along with energy bills under 100 GBP – incl. both electricity and gas. Note this is for a semi-detached 3BR house in the Manchester area, with little to no energy use during the weekdays (we’re all at work).

Then, after an updated “smart” meter reading, Bulb claimed our gas usage was higher than estimated and began sending us bills of over 200 GBP per month – for gas alone! They claimed we had not submitted meter readings for some time, and that our gas usage was underestimated over this period. But we had submitted an initial reading, of course, when we switched to them in the first place. So it should not be that far off. Although subsequent gas bills have tempered a bit, they are still very high – 100 GBP pcm or more in some cases. They seem to have “settled” over 100 pcm - recent one at 133 (remember – considering gas bill only here).

Why the bait and switch? Even if the initial gas bills of approx. 40 pcm were a bit low, doubling and tripling that amount makes no sense. I’m confident that increase does not reflect our actual usage, which has not changed in any significant way. If one looks at average UK national gas bills for a 3BR house, those seem to be in 50 pcm range. So even if our usage was on the high side, maybe could be 70 or 80 pcm?

So why don’t we simply switch suppliers? Oh yes, they have that covered as well. Apparently, due to their new, faulty estimates, our account is in debit and must be paid off before we can do so. We tried switching and they blocked it. We of course wrote to Bulb directly several times, but with no result. They continue to claim we have this high gas usage, which is 3-4 times higher than we started (what we were billed for over a year). We also wrote to the consumer advice centre, but they did not continue following up with Bulb and nothing has been resolved.

Guess we’re now stuck with significantly overpaying for our energy with Bulb - trapped - and cannot escape. But hey, at least we’re saving the world, right?

Donovan H
    Energy Drained in Manchester
    • wclifford
    • By wclifford 11th Apr 19, 12:15 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    wclifford
    No support for Economy 7 and single tariff.
    Just my 2 cents on trying to sign up to Bulb today -

Called to ask if they supported single rate tariff with economy 7 meter and was told that they do not support this - i said that's odd as every supplier i have ever had has but they told me it was not supported due to the way they buy energy wholesale... ???

A quick search of this thread shows a reply from Bulb in 2017 saying they do , but other people talking of issues with more complex meters.

Life is too short - I don't want to sign up and then spend hours fixing my account so no go here. As an aside , telling people its an average wait time of 4 minutes and then being put on hold for 15 is rather annoying!!

Lets see who is next on the list of cheapest energy..!
    • nigelbb
    • By nigelbb 11th Apr 19, 3:44 PM
    • 2,288 Posts
    • 3,060 Thanks
    nigelbb
    Although Bulb claims to deliver renewably sourced energy to our homes at reasonable or even better prices than the big 6 energy suppliers, from my experience, the reality is a different story. It felt good to switch from one of the “big, bad suppliers” to a cozier, friendlier and greener one, based mostly on energy from renewable energy sources. And apparently the energy costs for our home would remain the same or even lower. And guess what? It did, for a while. For over a year, we were happily cruising along with energy bills under 100 GBP – incl. both electricity and gas. Note this is for a semi-detached 3BR house in the Manchester area, with little to no energy use during the weekdays (we’re all at work).

Then, after an updated “smart” meter reading, Bulb claimed our gas usage was higher than estimated and began sending us bills of over 200 GBP per month – for gas alone! They claimed we had not submitted meter readings for some time, and that our gas usage was underestimated over this period. But we had submitted an initial reading, of course, when we switched to them in the first place. So it should not be that far off. Although subsequent gas bills have tempered a bit, they are still very high – 100 GBP pcm or more in some cases. They seem to have “settled” over 100 pcm - recent one at 133 (remember – considering gas bill only here).

Why the bait and switch? Even if the initial gas bills of approx. 40 pcm were a bit low, doubling and tripling that amount makes no sense. I’m confident that increase does not reflect our actual usage, which has not changed in any significant way. If one looks at average UK national gas bills for a 3BR house, those seem to be in 50 pcm range. So even if our usage was on the high side, maybe could be 70 or 80 pcm?

So why don’t we simply switch suppliers? Oh yes, they have that covered as well. Apparently, due to their new, faulty estimates, our account is in debit and must be paid off before we can do so. We tried switching and they blocked it. We of course wrote to Bulb directly several times, but with no result. They continue to claim we have this high gas usage, which is 3-4 times higher than we started (what we were billed for over a year). We also wrote to the consumer advice centre, but they did not continue following up with Bulb and nothing has been resolved.

Guess we’re now stuck with significantly overpaying for our energy with Bulb - trapped - and cannot escape. But hey, at least we’re saving the world, right?

Donovan H
    Energy Drained in Manchester
    Originally posted by donovanh
    It seems that you have not taken or submitted any meter readings other than initially so you have no idea whether your estimated bills are accurate or not. You could even still be underpaying & getting deeper into debt. Why on earth aren't you taking meter readings? It is the only way of checking what your true energy consumption is.
    • Al Ross
    • By Al Ross 11th Apr 19, 7:40 PM
    • 503 Posts
    • 125 Thanks
    Al Ross
    What can't people not grasp that it is the tarrif price i.e the cost of a unit of gas or electric that determines who much they will be paying,and of course how much actually use and not the amount your direct debit is set at.

Bulb are about the cheapest there is for gas at the moment.
    • rich_shot2003
    • By rich_shot2003 12th Apr 19, 1:46 AM
    • 1,983 Posts
    • 593 Thanks
    rich_shot2003
    Are they fitting the new smart meters yet as i signed up to the waiting list for one months ago and still no word on when they are installing them.
    • fatbelly
    • By fatbelly 12th Apr 19, 4:25 AM
    • 13,631 Posts
    • 10,710 Thanks
    fatbelly
    Are they fitting the new smart meters yet as i signed up to the waiting list for one months ago and still no word on when they are installing them.
    Originally posted by rich_shot2003
    I've had the email and decided to ignore it:

We're installing smart meters in your area

We got in touch recently to let you know we’re installing the new generation of smart meters (often called ‘SMETS2’) in your area.

If you didn’t have time to book there are appointments available in the next few weeks, so don't miss out.

Our smart meters:
    •Can be read by any supplier, even if you decide to switch in the future
    •Take meter readings automatically, which means no more estimated bills
    •Give you the information you need to help cut your bills and reduce carbon emissions

Appointments are first come, first served, so book today to reserve your slot.

What to expect on the day

We’ve written this quick guide on how to prepare for your installation and what to expect on the day.

Smart meter installation is free

Because you're a Bulb member, there's no charge to have smart meters installed.

The engineer will do everything they can to make the installation a success

If they can’t complete the installation they’ll explain why, and we’ll be in touch as soon as we’ve found a solution.

All the best,
    Team Bulb
    • PaschalFun
    • By PaschalFun 12th Apr 19, 8:25 AM
    • 241 Posts
    • 81 Thanks
    PaschalFun
    What can't people not grasp that it is the tarrif price i.e the cost of a unit of gas or electric that determines who much they will be paying,and of course how much actually use and not the amount your direct debit is set at.

Bulb are about the cheapest there is for gas at the moment.
    Originally posted by Al Ross
    I'm not sure Bulb will supply gas only, will they?

So I took a look at the East Midlands region, based on a dual fuel tariff.

For gas, they charge:
    3.345p per kWh
    20.44p per day (£74.62 per year) Standing charge.

I would urge you to check any comparison site. There are several cheaper suppliers/tariffs than that for gas, either as part of dual fuel, or as gas alone.

For an average user, ideally look for a tariff that is <3p/kWh and about 15-16ppd maximum - several to choose from
    • bristolleedsfan
    • By bristolleedsfan 12th Apr 19, 9:53 AM
    • 7,644 Posts
    • 9,702 Thanks
    bristolleedsfan
    I'm not sure Bulb will supply gas only, will they?

So I took a look at the East Midlands region, based on a dual fuel tariff.

For gas, they charge:
    3.345p per kWh
    20.44p per day (£74.62 per year) Standing charge.

I would urge you to check any comparison site. There are several cheaper suppliers/tariffs than that for gas, either as part of dual fuel, or as gas alone.

For an average user, ideally look for a tariff that is <3p/kWh and about 15-16ppd maximum - several to choose from
    Originally posted by PaschalFun

I dont think Bulb will supply Gas only, as you say other suppliers are cheaper, take a look at Utility Point both fixed and variable tariffs, I have a Gas switch in progress from Bulb to U.P with standing charge and unit rate cheaper than Bulb
    • Allanr
    • By Allanr 16th Apr 19, 3:39 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Allanr
    How does that work then?...do you get it immediately or do you need to be with Bulb for a few weeks/months before it’s paid?
    Originally posted by The Big Bamboo

You get the £50 referral added to your Bulb account on the day of your switch. You will only get the £50 if the person whose referral code you used is still a customer of Bulb when you switched.
    • Badger51
    • By Badger51 16th Apr 19, 3:45 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Badger51
    They started fitting them in February. When you get invited to have one appears to be based on where you live. They are having problems with their In Home Displays not working properly and the smart meter reads not getting as far as the billing system so bills are still based on estimated reads. All a bit disappointing for early adopters. It's probably no bad thing to wait a bit until they havre sorted out the issues.
    • colb15
    • By colb15 19th Apr 19, 12:56 PM
    • 41 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    colb15
    Uswithc currently have an offer of £40 credit for dual fula switch. Can you avail of this as well as £50 referral does anyone know?
    • notbritishgas
    • By notbritishgas 19th Apr 19, 1:13 PM
    • 2,160 Posts
    • 1,002 Thanks
    notbritishgas
    Uswithc currently have an offer of £40 credit for dual fula switch. Can you avail of this as well as £50 referral does anyone know?
    Originally posted by colb15
    I doubt it. You must access the bulb website via the uswitch site so you would not have access to a referral link.
    • Thomas Edison
    • By Thomas Edison 20th Apr 19, 8:30 AM
    • 136 Posts
    • 58 Thanks
    Thomas Edison
    No they are separate offers. The referral link takes you to their own website which means they don't have to pay the commission to uswitch.

So you can only get one or the other. But MSE had a £65 offer recently would check if that's still going
    • Dandytf
    • By Dandytf 20th Apr 19, 8:33 AM
    • 2,023 Posts
    • 494 Thanks
    Dandytf
    What happened to Bulb referral offers.
    Whilst considering switching yesterday evening though can't remember which search I used, the Bulb sign up form didn'thave any referral or offer box to enter.
    Though the quoted thought to be 73 pounds per month sounds correct if they adhere to that online estimate give or take a pound or two.
    sc dmp 2012 13k Jan 2019 9880paid. 75%approx.
    Mid 2018 Help2save 50 uk pounds per month
    Mid 2018-Virgin Money E-saver V11 -t.b.c.
    • Thomas Edison
    • By Thomas Edison 20th Apr 19, 8:40 AM
    • 136 Posts
    • 58 Thanks
    Thomas Edison
    Bulb use referral links which are different to codes. If you use a link it takes you to that person's unique sign up page. It will say their name and mention £50. This is how they track the referral.

If you go directly to their website and sign up you won't see mention of referrals or be able to add one
    • Dandytf
    • By Dandytf 20th Apr 19, 8:43 AM
    • 2,023 Posts
    • 494 Thanks
    Dandytf
    Bulb use referral links which are different to codes. If you use a link it takes you to that person's unique sign up page. It will say their name and mention £50. This is how they track the referral.

If you go directly to their website and sign up you won't see mention of referrals or be able to add one
    Originally posted by Thomas Edison
    Thanks it was a 3rd party energy type search that I used.
    T.b.h. It was a very good search as they allowed me to search including home fuel discount which is essential over winter.
    The referral isn't essential though have new Bulb Customers actually benefited from the credits or has it been in effect used up with bills from Bulb soon after switching.
    sc dmp 2012 13k Jan 2019 9880paid. 75%approx.
    Mid 2018 Help2save 50 uk pounds per month
    Mid 2018-Virgin Money E-saver V11 -t.b.c.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,398Posts Today

7,037Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin