Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Fraser
    • By MSE Fraser 21st Dec 15, 1:19 PM
    • 30Posts
    • 4Thanks
    MSE Fraser
    Bulb Energy Reviews: Give your feedback on the energy supplier
    • 21st Dec 15, 1:19 PM
    Bulb Energy Reviews: Give your feedback on the energy supplier 21st Dec 15 at 1:19 PM
    This is a feedback thread on energy supplier

Bulb

Please share your experience with other MoneySavers. Click reply to take part
    • Did you switch go smoothly?
    • Have you had problems since?
    • Is it easy to contact?
    The feedback comes as part of the

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply.

Please don't post Bulb referral links here. Referral links can be posted on the dedicated Referrers Board. Thanks!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 26-07-2018 at 11:38 AM.
Page 17
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 7th Nov 18, 2:49 PM
    • 11,255 Posts
    • 4,914 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    Have done the same to me but whopped it up from £80 to £113 am looking for a better fixed deal.
    Originally posted by Xxxxxxxxxx

What do you actually mean by fixed ??
    Unit costs fixed or fixed cost any usage /
    Plenty of fied unit price deals on comparison sites .
    • Chinatree
    • By Chinatree 8th Nov 18, 2:41 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Chinatree
    Bulb Switch
    All set for switch to Bulb on 22nd November. . . email telling me my gas supplier objects. Spoken to British Gas who resolved the matter for both gas & electricity and everything good.
    Another email from Bulb telling me my electricity supplier objects. Spoke to British Gas again, to be told there are no objections on the account and they are aware Bulb will take over on 22nd.
    Another email from Bulb telling me that my electricity switch has been cancelled by my supplier. Phoned British Gas again to be told there are no objections on my account.
    I phoned Bulb. After a 10 minute wait I am told my gas switch has been objected and my electricity is ok???. . . complete opposite to what it shows in my Bulb account.
    I'm beginning to wonder whether the switch will be worth the effort, as so far, the customer service from British Gas has been excellent. Wish I could say the same for Bulb
    • wavelets
    • By wavelets 8th Nov 18, 2:46 PM
    • 576 Posts
    • 245 Thanks
    wavelets
    On a positive note, welcome to MSE

We've been waiting patiently for 6 years since you joined us for you to make your inaugural post.

Now you've broken your duck, lets hope it's the first of many.
    • ybeltrikov
    • By ybeltrikov 9th Nov 18, 5:48 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ybeltrikov
    I am also having some uneasy experience with switching to Bulb. I seems that they are trying to bite more than they can chew.

Requested the switch about a month ago and Bulb took over the electricity on 27 October but having issues with switching gas.
    Apparently, the gas meter is registered incorrectly on the National Database. Having spoken to a Bulb customer service in early October they suggested switching with the incorrect address and then amending the address which was fine to me. Now they are showing in my Bulb account that they are my gas provider and took the full direct debit (for both electricity and gas) and I found out that Bulb failed to do the switch.
    They were unaware of this till I called them today. Contrary to what I was told previously, they sent me to my previous supplier to amend the address and get back to them.
    I feel that it takes more time and efforts than it should. I am seriously re-considering my decision to switch to Bulb
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 9th Nov 18, 6:34 PM
    • 6,646 Posts
    • 4,270 Thanks
    Hengus
    I am also having some uneasy experience with switching to Bulb. I seems that they are trying to bite more than they can chew.

Requested the switch about a month ago and Bulb took over the electricity on 27 October but having issues with switching gas.
    Apparently, the gas meter is registered incorrectly on the National Database. Having spoken to a Bulb customer service in early October they suggested switching with the incorrect address and then amending the address which was fine to me. Now they are showing in my Bulb account that they are my gas provider and took the full direct debit (for both electricity and gas) and I found out that Bulb failed to do the switch.
    They were unaware of this till I called them today. Contrary to what I was told previously, they sent me to my previous supplier to amend the address and get back to them.
    I feel that it takes more time and efforts than it should. I am seriously re-considering my decision to switch to Bulb
    Originally posted by ybeltrikov
    Bulb obviously got cold feet. I had a similar database problem with my old supplier and Octopus successfully took over the supplies using the incorrect address information. This has since been corrected. Having said that it is possible, it is worth checking that meter serial numbers first.
    • ybeltrikov
    • By ybeltrikov 10th Nov 18, 5:25 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ybeltrikov
    The gas meter serial number and MRPN were checked several times and are correct. It is the postcode on the National Database what is wrong.
    Moreover, when I called it took about 10 minutes to get them on the phone. Even EDF Energy were faster
    • margaretx9
    • By margaretx9 12th Nov 18, 7:59 PM
    • 41 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    margaretx9
    If you have a simple set-up as I imagine most people do, it looks to be quite a smooth process.

However any kind of Economy 7 / multi-meter setup, i'd be wary if i'm honest.
    Originally posted by Richie7
    I have an economy 7 meter set up so perhaps best avoided then. Has anyone else had a successful/smooth economy 7 switch with bulb?
    • fatbelly
    • By fatbelly 12th Nov 18, 8:18 PM
    • 13,010 Posts
    • 10,086 Thanks
    fatbelly
    I have an economy 7 meter set up so perhaps best avoided then. Has anyone else had a successful/smooth economy 7 switch with bulb?
    Originally posted by margaretx9
    Yes - absolutely no problems.

Unlike Scottish Power who refused to accept I had E7 for about 9 months!
    • margaretx9
    • By margaretx9 12th Nov 18, 8:39 PM
    • 41 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    margaretx9
    Yes - absolutely no problems.

Unlike Scottish Power who refused to accept I had E7 for about 9 months!
    Originally posted by fatbelly
    I saw earlier in the thread you had to send them details of your two meter numbers and there were issues in supplying meter readings for the two meters (day and night rates)? Presumably that wasn't an issue for you?

I suppose I have nothing to lose by trying - and there is a £100 referral switch offer on at present which is nearly double my current monthly bill for my flat!

Thanks again for the reassurance.
    Last edited by margaretx9; 12-11-2018 at 8:45 PM.
    • Chinatree
    • By Chinatree 13th Nov 18, 7:33 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Chinatree
    Bulb Switch
    All set for switch to Bulb on 22nd November. . . email telling me my gas supplier objects. Spoken to British Gas who resolved the matter for both gas & electricity and everything good.
    Another email from Bulb telling me my electricity supplier objects. Spoke to British Gas again, to be told there are no objections on the account and they are aware Bulb will take over on 22nd.
    Another email from Bulb telling me that my electricity switch has been cancelled by my supplier. Phoned British Gas again to be told there are no objections on my account.
    I phoned Bulb. After a 10 minute wait I am told my gas switch has been objected and my electricity is ok???. . . complete opposite to what it shows in my Bulb account.
    I'm beginning to wonder whether the switch will be worth the effort, as so far, the customer service from British Gas has been excellent. Wish I could say the same for Bulb
    Originally posted by Chinatree
    I would like to retract my comments re Bulb and British Gas.
    After 5 phone calls to British Gas it turns out that the problems are down to them, NOT Bulb. Sorry Bulb
    • Pieman63
    • By Pieman63 14th Nov 18, 11:48 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Pieman63
    Left Feeling Ripped Off
    I have switched from EDF to bulb energy in September this year. My payments have suddenly jumped from £117 permonth to £190 per month. Our energy uage has not changed. How can I get out of this deal. The Cheap Energy club site says a switch is still going through.
    Thanks
    • fatbelly
    • By fatbelly 14th Nov 18, 1:09 PM
    • 13,010 Posts
    • 10,086 Thanks
    fatbelly
    They are increasing a lot of d/ds because of the unit price increase.

Mine is going up from £55 to £79

The good thing about bulb is that they still allow you control. I've just gone onto my control panel and I can reduce it back to £55 if I want to.

The £55 wasn't covering usage so I'll just keep an eye on it. For me they are still the cheapest supplier with any real track record of customer service.
    • fatbelly
    • By fatbelly 14th Nov 18, 1:20 PM
    • 13,010 Posts
    • 10,086 Thanks
    fatbelly
    I saw earlier in the thread you had to send them details of your two meter numbers and there were issues in supplying meter readings for the two meters (day and night rates)? Presumably that wasn't an issue for you?

I suppose I have nothing to lose by trying - and there is a £100 referral switch offer on at present which is nearly double my current monthly bill for my flat!

Thanks again for the reassurance.
    Originally posted by margaretx9
    Just noticed your post.

No - they asked for the 2 readings and I gave them. Be aware that Bulb describe them as Day and Night. Your meter might say Normal and Low. Just don't get the two mixed up.

Somewhere else I posted about the shambles that was Scottish Power but the worst I've experienced with Bulb was when I noticed a payment had gone out of my bank but hadn't arrived at Bulb.

I queried it but I think it was showing within a couple of days.
    • wavelets
    • By wavelets 14th Nov 18, 1:46 PM
    • 576 Posts
    • 245 Thanks
    wavelets
    I have switched from EDF to bulb energy in September this year. My payments have suddenly jumped from £117 permonth to £190 per month. Our energy uage has not changed. How can I get out of this deal. The Cheap Energy club site says a switch is still going through.
    Thanks
    Originally posted by Pieman63
    Contact the supplier whose tariff you wish to move to, and they will switch you

(or use one of the comparison sites for possible cashback )

You will probably need to contact the MSE CEC to get your account freed up. You can find their email address on the FAQ page.
    • SpanishBlue
    • By SpanishBlue 14th Nov 18, 5:02 PM
    • 238 Posts
    • 127 Thanks
    SpanishBlue
    Thanks
    Originally posted by Pieman63

It can take around a couple of months for CEC to recognize the switch has completed, and then another month or so to receive your £25 from them.

Don't worry too much what your monthly DD is, you are much better of off checking what comparison sites say you will pay in a year, based on your annual consumption.
    • The Governor
    • By The Governor 15th Nov 18, 8:15 AM
    • 449 Posts
    • 61 Thanks
    The Governor
    I had a bit of a WTF moment last night, got home to an email from Bulb saying that they want to increase my DD by £50 a month, from £168 to £215.

For YEARS my electricity usage has been consistent, and on average no more than £150 a month for almost a decade (we're conscious of wastage in our house). Tragically I have a spreadsheet that tracks my usage for over a decade )

Since getting the Smart meter with Scottish power which lead to wild monthly fluctuations on DD's making it hard to budget, which then prompted me to move to Bulb, leading to more fluctuations, I wish I'd never got a smart meter. Up to that point my energy usage costs were steady and predicable over many years...
    Last edited by The Governor; 15-11-2018 at 8:20 AM.
    • beardiedog
    • By beardiedog 15th Nov 18, 11:45 AM
    • 621 Posts
    • 239 Thanks
    beardiedog
    They want to put mine up by £23 a month but I'm already two months in credit.

I've left it as it is for now.
    • fatbelly
    • By fatbelly 15th Nov 18, 6:37 PM
    • 13,010 Posts
    • 10,086 Thanks
    fatbelly

Since getting the Smart meter with Scottish power which lead to wild monthly fluctuations on DD's making it hard to budget, which then prompted me to move to Bulb, leading to more fluctuations, I wish I'd never got a smart meter. Up to that point my energy usage costs were steady and predicable over many years...
    Originally posted by The Governor
    Still can't see the point of a smart meter...
    • jackywacky
    • By jackywacky 15th Nov 18, 7:10 PM
    • 71 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    jackywacky
    They want to put mine up by £23 a month but I'm already two months in credit.

I've left it as it is for now.
    Originally posted by beardiedog

Virtually the same for me as well.
    I'm also leaving as it is for now, my reasoning is that they can muck about with my payments (within reason) so as long as the cost of their energy is still competitive, there's been a number of increases recently yet they are still remain competitive where I live.
    If they continue to muck around then I will just leave.
    I do not have a smart meter, I give regular online readings

My previous supplier was Toto, now they awful, think of a word that rhymes with muck!
    Last edited by jackywacky; 15-11-2018 at 7:13 PM.
    • 58 steve
    • By 58 steve 21st Nov 18, 12:52 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    58 steve
    I'm out of here.
    No sooner than I sign up, based on what they *think* my usage will be, they email to hike the prices up. Almost 30%. They're taking the P!**
    I predict this company won't be here in 18 months.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,076Posts Today

6,702Users online

Martin's Twitter