Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Fraser
    • By MSE Fraser 21st Dec 15, 1:19 PM
    • 30Posts
    • 4Thanks
    MSE Fraser
    Bulb Energy Reviews: Give your feedback on the energy supplier
    • 21st Dec 15, 1:19 PM
    Bulb Energy Reviews: Give your feedback on the energy supplier 21st Dec 15 at 1:19 PM
    This is a feedback thread on energy supplier

Bulb

Please share your experience with other MoneySavers. Click reply to take part
    • Did you switch go smoothly?
    • Have you had problems since?
    • Is it easy to contact?
    The feedback comes as part of the

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply.

Please don't post Bulb referral links here. Referral links can be posted on the dedicated Referrers Board. Thanks!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 26-07-2018 at 11:38 AM.
Page 15
    • rich_shot2003
    • By rich_shot2003 12th Sep 18, 9:27 PM
    • 1,953 Posts
    • 583 Thanks
    rich_shot2003
    My switch to them takes place tomorrow so will see if it all goes to plan.

Not so happy about email saying prices are going up in Nov but they still work out cheaper then BG.

In email it says new customers will start paying new prices from when they sign up so does that mean as i switch tomorrow will i pay new prices from now or in Nov?
    • beardiedog
    • By beardiedog 13th Sep 18, 9:03 AM
    • 565 Posts
    • 216 Thanks
    beardiedog
    My switch to them takes place tomorrow so will see if it all goes to plan.

Not so happy about email saying prices are going up in Nov but they still work out cheaper then BG.

In email it says new customers will start paying new prices from when they sign up so does that mean as i switch tomorrow will i pay new prices from now or in Nov?
    Originally posted by rich_shot2003
    I was in mid-switch when the price rise was officially announced.

I received an email a few days ago telling me the price rise would be effective from November so I imagine you are deemed to be a customer if you were already switching.
    • alleycat`
    • By alleycat` 13th Sep 18, 10:56 AM
    • 1,773 Posts
    • 1,534 Thanks
    alleycat`
    Totally agree with you, back in May my e-on fix was about to end and their new offerings were quite a bit higher than what i was paying so i started the search of what other companies offerings were.
    Originally posted by steven cardwell

Basically you are me down to the timings and moving from Eon. OutFox were even cheaper than bulb but an "unknown" quantity. There wasn't a Fix i'd have trusted at the price point you mention (Avro have good reviews up to when people want to leave).

I predicted Bulb would put their prices up but 30%+ on Gas has caught me by surprise.

Ironically EON are now the same price as Bulb for me (Give or take).

It seems an odd game as Bulb will lose customers but, in their t's and c's they'll pay exit fees, you can take a fix now that's cheaper and still move back if they drop their prices (at least once).
    • RayH
    • By RayH 13th Sep 18, 11:07 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    RayH
    Switched to Bulb from First Utility on 3rd July. Everything smooth on their side, but still waiting for refund from First Utility, who took their normal direct debit on 5th July, I awaiting feedback from Bulb. Anyone else had this kind of trouble?
    • satchef1
    • By satchef1 13th Sep 18, 12:45 PM
    • 108 Posts
    • 67 Thanks
    satchef1

If I'm reading this right, Bulb are suggesting overall wholesale costs for the average consumer have increased around £130 in the last 12 months. Meanwhile, their retail pricing has increased by ~£190 for the average consumer. An average increase in profitability of £60 per customer, multiplied by 750,000 customers. So an extra £45m in gross profit?

I wonder if they're maybe taking their rising fortunes for granted? They've gone from 70,000 customers to over 750,000 in just over a year, and are now nipping at the heels of First Utility and OVO. But they've done most of that through referral marketing. The problem with referral marketing is those customers can be encouraged to move again. I've already started working on the people I referred, with some success in the 14 hours since I started sending emails.

I suppose I should be thanking Bulb really. They've given people a reason to switch, which has given me the opportunity to make another £50 from every person I referred to them.
    Last edited by satchef1; 13-09-2018 at 12:48 PM.
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 13th Sep 18, 1:01 PM
    • 6,134 Posts
    • 3,923 Thanks
    Hengus

If I'm reading this right, Bulb are suggesting overall wholesale costs for the average consumer have increased around £130 in the last 12 months. Meanwhile, their retail pricing has increased by ~£190 for the average consumer. An average increase in profitability of £60 per customer, multiplied by 750,000 customers. So an extra £45m in gross profit?

I wonder if they're maybe taking their rising fortunes for granted? They've gone from 70,000 customers to over 750,000 in just over a year, and are now nipping at the heels of First Utility and OVO. But they've done most of that through referral marketing. The problem with referral marketing is those customers can be encouraged to move again. I've already started working on the people I referred, with some success in the 14 hours since I started sending emails.

I suppose I should be thanking Bulb really. They've given people a reason to switch, which has given me the opportunity to make another £50 from every person I referred to them.
    Originally posted by satchef1
    It is not quite that simple. Wholesale costs now equate for less than 38p in every £ that we pay:

Bill breakdown

Breakdown of a typical dual fuel bill Source: Ofgem
    Wholesale costs 38%
    Network costs 26%
    Environmental and social obligation costs 8%
    Other direct costs 1%
    Operating costs 17%
    Supplier pre-tax margin 5%
    VAT 5%

It follows that there must be increases in the other 62p in every £ that we pay. So what might these increases include:

Smart meter roll out costs

Ofgem's Consumer Levy covering failed suppliers (paid for by a levy on all consumers)

Warm Home Discounts; feed in tariffs (paid for by a levy on all consumers)

Home insulation (paid for by a levy on all customers)

It is these costs that are arguably out of control. It is too simplistic, in my view, to say that the increases are all down to increases in wholesale costs. That said, the hardest hit in this regard will be the smaller suppliers who had not had the foresight or cash to forward buy. Spot prices run well ahead of average increases in wholesale costs.
    • question
    • By question 14th Sep 18, 5:51 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    question
    Are Bulb playing the system on MSE Energy Club?
    I was in the process of making a switch to Bulb and then they advised me that they will be increasing their prices, so I cancelled the switch. On 10/09/18 I received an email advising me that they were confirming that I had cancelled the switch and that I should wait 3 days if I wished to do another comparison.
    Subsequently I received an email from my old energy supplier saying that they were sorry I was leaving. I said I wasnít and so they said they would advise Bulb that I wasnít.
    Today I went on MSEís Energy Club to do a new comparison. Low and behold, according to MSE Iím switching to Bulb. Until Bulb advise them otherwise, I canít do another switch.
    This got me thinking 🤔. I helped my father to do a switch through MSEís Energy Club to Bulb at least 6 months ago. So, I checked his Energy Club page and according to that, heís still in the process of switching to Bulb 😳, despite having been supplied by Bulb for months! Of course this means that my dad cannot change supplier through MSEís Energy Club as everything is put on hold whilst a switch is taking place.
    I canít help thinking that this works in Bulbís favour.
    (I have asked Bulb to update their records and advise MSE)
    • wavelets
    • By wavelets 14th Sep 18, 6:11 PM
    • 257 Posts
    • 105 Thanks
    wavelets
    I was in the process of making a switch to Bulb and then they advised me that they will be increasing their prices, so I cancelled the switch. On 10/09/18 I received an email advising me that they were confirming that I had cancelled the switch and that I should wait 3 days if I wished to do another comparison.
    Subsequently I received an email from my old energy supplier saying that they were sorry I was leaving. I said I wasn’t and so they said they would advise Bulb that I wasn’t.
    Today I went on MSE’s Energy Club to do a new comparison. Low and behold, according to MSE I’m switching to Bulb. Until Bulb advise them otherwise, I can’t do another switch.
    This got me thinking ��. I helped my father to do a switch through MSE’s Energy Club to Bulb at least 6 months ago. So, I checked his Energy Club page and according to that, he’s still in the process of switching to Bulb ��, despite having been supplied by Bulb for months! Of course this means that my dad cannot change supplier through MSE’s Energy Club as everything is put on hold whilst a switch is taking place.
    I can’t help thinking that this works in Bulb’s favour.
    (I have asked Bulb to update their records and advise MSE)
    Originally posted by question
    Simply contact MSE Energy Club, advise them of the situations and request they release the accounts accordingly.
    Contact deatils can be found on the MSE CEC FAQ page.

(Presumably your father hasn't received his cashback yet either?)

This situation is not unique to Bulb Energy; it can equally apply to any supplier.
    MSE only updates (automatically) once a switch has been confirmed.
    So a cancelled switch will always cauuse issues, as will late confirmation by a supplier that a switch has completed. When the supplier does get around to advising MSE of the completion, then MSE will pay the cashback due

Switching again before cashback is paid, may mean cashback will not get paid for that first switch.
    Last edited by wavelets; 14-09-2018 at 6:15 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

86Posts Today

2,018Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Dora_Haf: @MartinSLewis So many people on here saying they're great until you get your PROPER job. What if Your proper job Is ON zero?

• RT @hslt88: @MartinSLewis I?m a trustee for a youth charity. We only have a limited pool of funds for flexible youth workers for holiday sc?

• RT @Dan_i_elle_88: @MartinSLewis Loved working zero hour agency care work. Never out of work and I loved having the flexibility! Only left?

• Follow Martin