Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Fraser
    • By MSE Fraser 21st Dec 15, 1:19 PM
    • 30Posts
    • 4Thanks
    MSE Fraser
    Bulb Energy Reviews: Give your feedback on the energy supplier
    • 21st Dec 15, 1:19 PM
    Bulb Energy Reviews: Give your feedback on the energy supplier 21st Dec 15 at 1:19 PM
    This is a feedback thread on energy supplier

Bulb

Please share your experience with other MoneySavers. Click reply to take part
    • Did you switch go smoothly?
    • Have you had problems since?
    • Is it easy to contact?
    The feedback comes as part of the

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply.

Please don't post Bulb referral links here. Referral links can be posted on the dedicated Referrers Board. Thanks!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 26-07-2018 at 11:38 AM.
Page 12
    • dinah46
    • By dinah46 13th May 18, 12:47 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    dinah46
    new user
    I'm just switching to Bulb and they are asking for my meter readings but only allowing 1 electricity reading when I need to enter off-peak reading as well.
    Anyone know how I can enter the second reading? There doesn't seem to be a phone number anywhere.
    • gsmlnx
    • By gsmlnx 13th May 18, 12:56 PM
    • 1,037 Posts
    • 796 Thanks
    gsmlnx
    @dinah46
    From https://help.bulb.co.uk/hc/en-us at the bottom of the page
    Our helpdesk is open 9am to 6pm Monday to Friday.
    Call us on
    0300 30 30 635
    • dinah46
    • By dinah46 13th May 18, 2:55 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    dinah46
    Thank you, I'll try that
    • PennineAcute
    • By PennineAcute 15th May 18, 6:25 PM
    • 202 Posts
    • 96 Thanks
    PennineAcute
    If they are that good, why the need to give referrals. Surely, just recommend them.
    • Tescodealqueen
    • By Tescodealqueen 16th May 18, 5:24 PM
    • 688 Posts
    • 3,936 Thanks
    Tescodealqueen
    Switched via the energy club, really pleased so far. Received final bill from old supplier today, sent details of exit fees via the Bulb email link and they were credited to my new account within minutes. Like the website.it is clear and simple to use and like the humour in their email correspondence. So far so good.
    • billp42
    • By billp42 28th May 18, 9:43 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    billp42
    Switched to Bulb last December after the debacle that is Eversmart. What a pleasant change to find a company that does what it says on the tin, so to speak. The only problem that I have had so far is Bulb producing my bills and then collecting the DD the day afterwards. It made my account look as though it was well in debit when the situation was not that bad at all. An email resulted in bulb immediately aligning the DD collection date with the date of bill production. Sorted easily, and with no hassle at all. I cannot recommend this company too highly - 11 out of 10 for customer service.
    • tonycottee
    • By tonycottee 28th May 18, 11:34 AM
    • 1,132 Posts
    • 2,134 Thanks
    tonycottee
    I've been with Bulb for a month now and all has run smoothly, so thumbs up from me.
    Last edited by tonycottee; 08-06-2018 at 1:58 PM.
    • ade2j
    • By ade2j 2nd Jun 18, 10:35 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ade2j
    Switched
    Started the switch this week from SP, will be complete in 3 weeks they say, looking forward to a none big 6!
    • imho
    • By imho 3rd Jun 18, 3:03 PM
    • 2,471 Posts
    • 1,602 Thanks
    imho
    Started the switch this week from SP, will be complete in 3 weeks they say, looking forward to a none big 6!
    Originally posted by ade2j
    And me I switched from SP to bulb today.
    • Shakin Steve
    • By Shakin Steve 5th Jun 18, 6:06 AM
    • 1,645 Posts
    • 1,416 Thanks
    Shakin Steve
    This is a copy of a separate thread I posted before seeing this one :

I decided to switch from EDF to bulb a couple of weeks ago. I did it through uswitch (sorry) and they had good customer reviews. Uswitch could do it directly for me. I got a copy of my tariff and all seemed fine, until the next morning when I received an email telling me that wholesale prices had gone up and the price may have to increase. I realised that it was a late-night decision on my part and decided to cancel the switch. I pressed the 'cancel switch' link and immediately got an email telling me it was done.
    About five days later my bank texted me to say that a direct debit had been set up by bulb, I cancelled it and rang them. They were very sorry but they had set up the direct debit on the day I applied and it takes five days to set up. Fair enough.
    About three days later a text from bulb saying, as I had cancelled my dd, they would not be able to bill me. Rang them again. They were sorry.
    I changed my tariff with EDF last night, to a year long plan with a not too bad price. Looked online this morning and only the electricity had gone over, not the gas. Rang EDF and was told I couldn't change the gas over as I was switching my gas away. AAARRGGHH.
    Told THEM to cancel the switch and they said it would be done by Monday and they would then change both gas and electric to the new plan.
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
    • Shakin Steve
    • By Shakin Steve 5th Jun 18, 6:10 AM
    • 1,645 Posts
    • 1,416 Thanks
    Shakin Steve
    EDF are still in the process of trying to switch me to my new tariff. This on my bulb account page this morning:
    Please contact your old supplier
    Uh oh, your old supplier has stopped us switching you to Bulb. They probably think you have an outstanding balance to pay. Please could you get in touch with them? Let us know when it!!!8217;s sorted and we can restart your switch.

Bulb don't seem to understand that some people might actually want to cancel the switch. Phone calls illicit a 'sorry, we'll sort it out' reply, but nothing gets sorted out. I'll be patient......for now.
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
    • Layne
    • By Layne 9th Jun 18, 12:27 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Layne
    I want to switch to bulb but slight concern/query on FIT payments. I am currently with npower. Can I get my FIT payments from bulb or not? If not, do I just leave it with npower. Just read an article from uswitch that suggests I can only switch to a supplier that does FIT. The bulb FAQ isn't clear if they do or not. Anyone recent experience of this?
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 9th Jun 18, 8:45 AM
    • 6,366 Posts
    • 4,087 Thanks
    Hengus
    I want to switch to bulb but slight concern/query on FIT payments. I am currently with npower. Can I get my FIT payments from bulb or not? If not, do I just leave it with npower. Just read an article from uswitch that suggests I can only switch to a supplier that does FIT. The bulb FAQ isn't clear if they do or not. Anyone recent experience of this?
    Originally posted by Layne
    Your supply and generation contracts are separate from each other. You can switch your supply contract as many times as you like, and NPower will continue to pay your FIT/Export payment. It is possible to change your FIT payer but there is no financial advantage in doing so.

FWiW, my FIT payer is EDF. I have had my electricity supply from EDF, OVO, Iresa, Powershop, Bulb, and now Octopus.
    • tomthegreek
    • By tomthegreek 13th Jun 18, 2:35 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    tomthegreek
    thomas leyland
    not impressed with the way they bill me,, they sent me an estimated bill within 2 days i sent them my readings which were less than the estimated readings... yet they will not refund me the difference back into my bulb account... they say it will be reflected in next months bill!!! why should i be giving them money for energy not used........ any other energy supplier (big 6) i have been with have refunded me straight away into account.... is anyone else having this problem with bulb?
    • Allanr
    • By Allanr 24th Jun 18, 9:46 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Allanr
    Please see the message right at the top of the page, which says:

Please don't post Bulb referral links here.

(Text removed by MSE Forum Team)
    Last edited by MSE ForumTeam3; 25-06-2018 at 8:40 AM.
    • vintagebrighton
    • By vintagebrighton 2nd Jul 18, 7:49 PM
    • 558 Posts
    • 1,703 Thanks
    vintagebrighton
    Everything's gone well with my switch to Bulb. TBF, after the debacle of being stuck with SP any energy company would've been an improvement! I've entered readings online and received my £30 credit for switching, DD's being taken at the correct rate. Hopefully all will stay well

VB x
    Australia (1% Challenge #6) ~ 0/100
    Weight Loss Challenge ~ 0/42
    Save 12k in 2018 #32 ~ 4250/6000
    • ade2j
    • By ade2j 3rd Jul 18, 5:55 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ade2j
    Unless you're part of the big 6, most companies will do this. You pay a month in advance each time and if you're due a refund they will reduce the future payment/s to suit. @tomthegreek
    • jhiker
    • By jhiker 12th Jul 18, 9:04 AM
    • 36 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    jhiker
    I am happy to say I've switched using the Finch7 referral and she's forwarded the £35 as promised.
    • ed1178
    • By ed1178 13th Jul 18, 4:16 AM
    • 19 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    ed1178
    Have been with bulb for around a year now, and hands down they are the best provider I have ever been with. Switching to them was faultless and the service since has been the same.

They have an excellent forum on their own website and a good prescience elsewhere- I have seen some people asking some very silly questions but they always respond promptly and go to great lengths to sort out any problems people seem to be having.

The prices are reasonable. When I switched, they were the cheapest for me. This is no longer the case, but the difference is insignificant. I have no objection anyway, for me the fact that their electricity is 100% renewable is the main attraction but of course price is also a consideration.

They very graciously refund any early exit fees from other suppliers and although I did not require this the general consensus online is that this happens very promptly. The fact that the same few bulb employee names pop up time and again posting on forums leads me to think these are well trained and passionate individuals with a good deal more common sense than some energy company customer service staff! They clearly know their stuff as it is not uncommon to see them posting on topics such as the wholesale energy market - their knowledge seems to go far beyond what might be required to manage a basic account!

They seem to pride themselves on their ethical practices. A recent price rise notification was very clearly explained and came with a personalised estimate of what it would cost me, not just a typical average user. It also promised to lower prices if wholesale costs fall- I have no reason to doubt this as they have lowered prices previously.

It is wonderful to deal with a company that only have one tariff, don't charge exit fees, are clear and transparent.

The app is good too- easy to send reading and I can see my balance at a glance. They always email a few days before my direct debit is taken, and I can easily adjust it up or down if I think I am accumulating too much credit. If your credit balance exceeds one months typical usage you can request an almost immediate refund.

On top of all this, you can earn £50 every time you successfully refer a friend, who will also get £50 credit on their bill. If you were proactive you could quite easily pay for a year's worth of energy in this way. Of course, this means nothing if the product is overpriced and the service lacking, but fortunately bulb seem to have nailed everything. A great product, a fair price and excellent service.

Oh- and they don't constantly try to see you unnecessary extras like boiler cover, home insurance and the like. Or pass details to anyone else who might like to try.

I love bulb and it would take a lot to make me switch away from them. I genuinely wish more companies were run like this.
    • SpanishBlue
    • By SpanishBlue 10th Aug 18, 5:56 PM
    • 228 Posts
    • 122 Thanks
    SpanishBlue
    Just a heads up for anyone thinking of switching to Bulb who has a two rate (eg economy 7) electricity meter but is currently charged at a single rate.

Bulb have recently changed their policy and you can only switch to them if you agree to be billed for day/night electricity at 2 separate rates, which will be more expensive for many people, unless you use a lot of your electricity at night.

One way round this might be to get your meter upgraded to a smart meter. It will probably become a dumb meter after you switch but at least you won't have to pay to upgrade your meter. Bulb charge £120 if you ask them according to their own forum...."We are no longer able to bill you on a single rate tariff if you have a 2 rate meter. If you want to move to a 1 rate tariff then you would have to ask for us to replace the meter and this would be a cost of £120."
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

60Posts Today

3,221Users online

Martin's Twitter