Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Fraser
    • By MSE Fraser 21st Dec 15, 1:19 PM
    • 30Posts
    • 4Thanks
    MSE Fraser
    Bulb Energy Reviews: Give your feedback on the energy supplier
    • 21st Dec 15, 1:19 PM
    Bulb Energy Reviews: Give your feedback on the energy supplier 21st Dec 15 at 1:19 PM
    This is a feedback thread on energy supplier

Bulb

Please share your experience with other MoneySavers. Click reply to take part
    • Did you switch go smoothly?
    • Have you had problems since?
    • Is it easy to contact?
    The feedback comes as part of the

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply.

Please don't post Bulb referral links here. Referral links can be posted on the dedicated Referrers Board. Thanks!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 26-07-2018 at 11:38 AM.
Page 11
    • danze
    • By danze 13th Apr 18, 11:17 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    danze
    I had an old smart meter that E.ON fitted in 2012, moved providers a few times and suddenly got into a nightmare situation where the meter just kept shutting off and having to be manually restarted, at the time my supplier Co-Op energy wouldn't help me and told me to contact E.ON - they couldn't help me either, so was stuck with a dodgy meter and a freezing cold house several times a month.

I switched to bulb, purely for the price and the fact it was 100% renewable and thought I'd check with them, straight away they arranged to get the meter swapped over (and because they were late arranging the appointment gave me a decent bit of credit on my bill as well) totally unexpected them to be able to help me but they just did what I'd have expected my other suppliers to do without any fuss.

So I'm very satisfied, and I hope it continues like this.
    Debt free journey (Started Feb 2018)
    124,857.98 / 136,325.55
    • James Mass
    • By James Mass 14th Apr 18, 12:55 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    James Mass
    Time for me to switch as they have confirm they're now a WHD supplier.
    https://help.bulb.co.uk/hc/en-us/articles/115001245512-Can-I-get-the-Warm-Home-Discount-
    • fatbelly
    • By fatbelly 14th Apr 18, 1:35 PM
    • 13,103 Posts
    • 10,162 Thanks
    fatbelly
    Thanks, James. Their 'broader group' criteria seem less broad than others. Maybe that's a tightening of the general rules, but I wouldn't qualify under those rules whereas I did last year with Ovo.

So it's possible I might be switching out...
    • emmb
    • By emmb 15th Apr 18, 1:54 PM
    • 70 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    emmb
    Just got a quote from Bulb
    Electricity unit 12.737p per kW and standing charge 24.56p per day
    Gas unit 2.945p per kWh and standing charge 24.56p per day loads more than Eon been with for 2 years
    Originally posted by hgv1driver
    Iíve been with eon a while too and looking to see if switching is worth it.
    Are you on eonís Energy plan which is the standard after a deal?
    I am and pay 15..41p with standing charge 15.64p day for Electricity
    and Gas is 3.907p Kwh with st chg 20.81p day

So, yes standing charge is more but usage price is less so personally, Iíd save £220 +vat overall. Not sure why comparison site including MSE Energy Club quoting Iíd save £300+. As much as £377!

Going just by comparison sites and even eOnís own version of ĎAre you on our cheaper tariff?í ..it makes me a bit suspect of going by their figures.
    • PaschalFun
    • By PaschalFun 15th Apr 18, 2:46 PM
    • 178 Posts
    • 53 Thanks
    PaschalFun
    So, yes standing charge is more but usage price is less so personally, I!!!8217;d save £220 +vat overall. Not sure why comparison site including MSE Energy Club quoting I!!!8217;d save £300+. As much as £377!
    Originally posted by emmb
    Are you looking at the same method of calculation?

Mosts sites conform to the Ofgem directed method of forward calculation.
    The CEC does not, and rather uses an historical cost calculation.. but there is the option to use the Ofgem method of calculation too
    • The Governor
    • By The Governor 17th Apr 18, 12:53 PM
    • 449 Posts
    • 61 Thanks
    The Governor
    I'm currently with Scottish power on a Smart meter, am i likely to have problems switching?

One thing I have noticed is that on the actual gas meter outside there is no display of units used, it can on;y be seen via the smart meter?
    • donglefan
    • By donglefan 18th Apr 18, 4:48 PM
    • 305 Posts
    • 97 Thanks
    donglefan
    what is best way to switch to bulb at the moment? eg cashback site, referral etc?
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 18th Apr 18, 5:11 PM
    • 6,830 Posts
    • 4,387 Thanks
    Hengus
    what is best way to switch to bulb at the moment? eg cashback site, referral etc?
    Originally posted by donglefan
    Via a personal referral link on the supplierís website. This will earn you £50 for switching.
  • E.ON Company Representative: Malc
    E.ON Tariffs
    Iíve been with eon a while too and looking to see if switching is worth it.
    Are you on eonís Energy plan which is the standard after a deal?
    I am and pay 15..41p with standing charge 15.64p day for Electricity
    and Gas is 3.907p Kwh with st chg 20.81p day

So, yes standing charge is more but usage price is less so personally, Iíd save £220 +vat overall. Not sure why comparison site including MSE Energy Club quoting Iíd save £300+. As much as £377!

Going just by comparison sites and even eOnís own version of ĎAre you on our cheaper tariff?í ..it makes me a bit suspect of going by their figures.
    Originally posted by emmb
    Just a quick heads up emmb. We've tariffs cheaper than Energy Plan and without exit fees leaving you free to switch supplier without penalty. Might save you a bit whilst waiting to switch. Although, if you've started the switch, you won't be able to change tariff. If not, you can switch online through our website. The change will have immediate effect.

When doing comparisons, it's always best to use kWh rather than a money value. Pop your annual usage into the price comparison sites to see what's available throughout the market.

Our Could You Pay Less messages are an estimate of how much energy we think you'll use over the next 12 months. They're based on what we know at the time. This will be past usage plus how long was left on your old tariff at the time of the message. The remaining time will on Energy Plan prices. This is an estimate. As I say, for a more accurate picture, it's best to use the annual kWhs as above. You can find this information on your bills, annual summary and, if registered, on our website.

Sorry to lose you emmb and hope this helps.

Malc
    ďOfficial Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    • realaledrinker
    • By realaledrinker 24th Apr 18, 1:19 PM
    • 1,603 Posts
    • 553 Thanks
    realaledrinker
    There seems to be almost universal praise for Bulb on the forum but in my experience they are a bunch of incompetents with clueless CSAs and rubbish systems. See:

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5834074

Ethical moneysaver
    • Delilah766
    • By Delilah766 28th Apr 18, 11:27 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Delilah766
    Early exit charge
    I have just started the switching process to Bulb hrough the Big Switch but will have to pay early exit charges to my old supplier. One of the emails said that Bulb would pay this for me but I canít find any info about how to do it. Can anyone help?
    Thanks.
    • FullForce
    • By FullForce 28th Apr 18, 11:51 AM
    • 146 Posts
    • 63 Thanks
    FullForce
    I have just started the switching process to Bulb hrough the Big Switch but will have to pay early exit charges to my old supplier. One of the emails said that Bulb would pay this for me but I canít find any info about how to do it. Can anyone help?
    Thanks.
    Originally posted by Delilah766
    You should be emailed instructions by the supplier.

As I understand it, you apply via your online account. You will need to apply and provide a copy of your final bill(s) showing the exit charges applied.

Refunds are limited to a maximum of £60 per fuel (I'm not aware of anyone that charges more than that).
    The refund will be applied as a credit to your Bulb energy account.
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 28th Apr 18, 11:54 AM
    • 6,830 Posts
    • 4,387 Thanks
    Hengus
    Thanks.
    I would strongly advise consumers to read the terms and conditions relating to the contract before initiating a switch. Not all supplier's terms and conditions are the same and often there are references to additional charges for missed payments etc.

From Bulb's terms and conditions:

2.4. If your previous supplier charges you an exit fee to terminate your contract, we will refund this as a credit to your Bulb account when your switch to Bulb completes, up to a maximum of £120 per switch (including VAT). To claim the refund, you must email a copy of the final bill from your previous supplier for the property switching to Bulb, with the exit fee amount itemised.
    • FullForce
    • By FullForce 28th Apr 18, 12:02 PM
    • 146 Posts
    • 63 Thanks
    FullForce
    I would strongly advise consumers to read the terms and conditions relating to the contract before initiating a switch. Not all supplier's terms and conditions are the same and often there are references to additional charges for missed payments etc.

From Bulb's terms and conditions:

2.4. If your previous supplier charges you an exit fee to terminate your contract, we will refund this as a credit to your Bulb account when your switch to Bulb completes, up to a maximum of £120 per switch (including VAT). To claim the refund, you must email a copy of the final bill from your previous supplier for the property switching to Bulb, with the exit fee amount itemised.
    Originally posted by Hengus
    Thanks

That's not what they indicate elsewhere on their website
    https://help.bulb.co.uk/hc/en-us/articles/115001227591-What-about-exit-fees-from-my-current-supplier-

... but I agree that their terms and conditions which the customer will have agreed to will over-ride anything elsewhere on the website.

I wonder what other contradictions exist between what Bulb advertise and what their terms actually say?
  • Will at Bulb
    Thanks.
    Hi Delilah, we'll email you a couple of days before your switch completes with instructions on how to claim back your exit fees. Here's the link to where you can do it online in your Bulb Account - https://account.bulb.co.uk/dashboard/exit-fees-refund

Thanks

That's not what they indicate elsewhere on their website
    https://help.bulb.co.uk/hc/en-us/articles/115001227591-What-about-exit-fees-from-my-current-supplier-

... but I agree that their terms and conditions which the customer will have agreed to will over-ride anything elsewhere on the website.

I wonder what other contradictions exist between what Bulb advertise and what their terms actually say?
    Originally posted by FullForce
    Hi Full force, I'm unsure what you mean by contradiction here. Our T&Cs and the help article you linked say the same thing. Is there anything I'm missing here? We absolutely want to be consistent here.
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of Bulb. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE
    • MalMonroe
    • By MalMonroe 30th Apr 18, 5:15 PM
    • 79 Posts
    • 66 Thanks
    MalMonroe
    I'm so very disappointed. Martin was full of praise for bulb. Like an absolute fool and because I trusted his judgement (he'd praised them more than once), I switched towards the end of January this year on a very reasonable and acceptable tariff, which I was really pleased about. Comes April, I receive an email to let me know they've almost doubled my direct debit payment - which makes their energy the most expensive I've ever had. They say that I'm using a lot of energy - after only three months (the coldest three we've had for decades) - how can they possibly gauge my annual usage? I forfeited the chance to get a WHD too this year (they didn't offer it this winter), simply because I thought on balance, bulb was great and I was going to be quids in. Not so. The good thing is that I can switch with no penalty and I shall be doing so but I am so disappointed. I can't possibly recommend them, or receive £50 for doing so. What if the same happened to my family and friends? I'd feel awful, and they'd not be too pleased with me either. I've been in touch with bulb and they've reinstated the original monthly payment until I switch but I feel like I've been scammed. I'm not looking for sympathy, criticism, or any clever sarcastic comments, just want to let people know that what Martin says, "if it looks too good to be true it probably is", is absolutely true. (Oh, and they didn't believe my own reading of the electricity meter and asked me to send a photo!) (I declined.) I feel so let down and cannot, in all conscience, recommend bulb. I don't know how Martin can, and feel that he should let people choose their own energy companies.
    • fatbelly
    • By fatbelly 30th Apr 18, 7:22 PM
    • 13,103 Posts
    • 10,162 Thanks
    fatbelly
    I'm so very disappointed. Martin was full of praise for bulb. Like an absolute fool and because I trusted his judgement (he'd praised them more than once), I switched towards the end of January this year on a very reasonable and acceptable tariff, which I was really pleased about. Comes April, I receive an email to let me know they've almost doubled my direct debit payment - which makes their energy the most expensive I've ever had. They say that I'm using a lot of energy - after only three months (the coldest three we've had for decades) - how can they possibly gauge my annual usage? I forfeited the chance to get a WHD too this year (they didn't offer it this winter), simply because I thought on balance, bulb was great and I was going to be quids in. Not so. The good thing is that I can switch with no penalty and I shall be doing so but I am so disappointed. I can't possibly recommend them, or receive £50 for doing so. What if the same happened to my family and friends? I'd feel awful, and they'd not be too pleased with me either. I've been in touch with bulb and they've reinstated the original monthly payment until I switch but I feel like I've been scammed. I'm not looking for sympathy, criticism, or any clever sarcastic comments, just want to let people know that what Martin says, "if it looks too good to be true it probably is", is absolutely true. (Oh, and they didn't believe my own reading of the electricity meter and asked me to send a photo!) (I declined.) I feel so let down and cannot, in all conscience, recommend bulb. I don't know how Martin can, and feel that he should let people choose their own energy companies.
    Originally posted by MalMonroe
    You haven't forfeited your WHD. The qualifying date is July I think, so you are fine for this year (Bulb have joined now) but starting in Jan 2018 you would have had to get it from your previous supplier.

Go on to your account and look at 'payments and statements'. Mine says I pay £53 (gas & elec) but they would like £54. However, clicking on payment settings I can change it to anything I want. I have just had 4 months of not paying anything as I wanted to use up all the referral bonuses I got. You could halve your payment and see how you go - I got no problems from them at all.

The business of 'photo your meter' is odd though - I do agree there.
    • Dandytf
    • By Dandytf 7th May 18, 6:44 PM
    • 1,671 Posts
    • 453 Thanks
    Dandytf
    Confused, re visiting bulb.
    Some price comparison sites are advertising Bulb as offering Winter Home Discount
    (This is worth 140 per year as I have m.s./pip. Successful SP payment 2017 -I could actually use the electric fire when the ice cold weather hit)
    When I read about Bulb during 2017 they weren't taking part in WHD
    Has this changed?
    If so are there any intro codes I could use.
    I'm in a better position since I could afford any crossover DD payments for the duration of switching, which I chose to advoid late2017.
    Thanks in advance mser's
    Last edited by Dandytf; 07-05-2018 at 6:59 PM.
    sc dmp 2012 13k Jan 2018 8840 paid. 60% approx.
    Mid 2018 Help2save 50 uk pounds per month
    Mid 2018-Virgin Money E-saver V11 -n/a-t.b.c.
    • Dandytf
    • By Dandytf 8th May 18, 8:08 AM
    • 1,671 Posts
    • 453 Thanks
    Dandytf
    Since reading Bulbs version of 2018-2019 Warm Home Discount.
    I'm very confused.
    I received 140 late 2017n fron SP for one of the following reasons which I included with my application.
    1. I receive PIP -was lower rate daily living+lower rate mobility
    2. I changed to part time employement 10.5-11k p.a. (Lower than the whd 16900 earnings rate
    Can't remember which of the two qualified me for whd.
    According to Bulbs whd statement I'd need to be getting income support and kids
    Or Pension credit and kids
    Or JSA job seekers allowance
    With my M.S. disability thrown in.
    I don't get any of the above.
    Question mser's-Has WHD 2018-2019 Qualifying criterea changed since last years
    • Dandytf
    • By Dandytf 8th May 18, 8:35 AM
    • 1,671 Posts
    • 453 Thanks
    Dandytf
    Answered this SP WHD 2017-2018 myself.
    This years is still under consultation.
    2017-2018 SP were offering WHD to anyone earning <16190 + lots more qualifying benefits such as WTC which I claim
    Hope SP continue with that qualifier.
    Currently Bulb have the earnings bracket tied up with some benefits, which I don't receive.
    This idea of switching from. SP to Bulb is not as straightforward as it may have seemed
    Last edited by Dandytf; 08-05-2018 at 10:12 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,631Posts Today

7,388Users online

Martin's Twitter