Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Fraser
    • By MSE Fraser 21st Dec 15, 1:19 PM
    • 30Posts
    • 4Thanks
    MSE Fraser
    Bulb Energy Reviews: Give your feedback on the energy supplier
    • 21st Dec 15, 1:19 PM
    Bulb Energy Reviews: Give your feedback on the energy supplier 21st Dec 15 at 1:19 PM
    This is a feedback thread on energy supplier

Bulb

Please share your experience with other MoneySavers. Click reply to take part
    • Did you switch go smoothly?
    • Have you had problems since?
    • Is it easy to contact?
    The feedback comes as part of the

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply.

Please don't post Bulb referral links here. Referral links can be posted on the dedicated Referrers Board. Thanks!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 26-07-2018 at 11:38 AM.
Page 10
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 1st Mar 18, 4:41 PM
    • 4,086 Posts
    • 1,113 Thanks
    Anthorn
    Be careful with Bulb's promises re. Warm Home Discount Scheme. As far as I know they have kept their users hanging with a "perhaps soon" type of response. Their latest response is that Warm Home Discount should be available for winter 2018.

BUT in consideration of the qualifying date being in or around the month of June if they start WHD after June the first qualifying period will be 2019/2020.
    The latest update is that it will be available for winter this year (2018)
    https://community.bulb.co.uk/discussion/593/warm-home-discount-scheme
    • N1ckS
    • By N1ckS 3rd Mar 18, 10:33 PM
    • 50 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    N1ckS
    I've been with Bulb for 6 months now and overall I'm happy with their service. Not quite up to Ovo's standards but near enough that their competitive tariff keeps me on their books.
    • roddydogs
    • By roddydogs 4th Mar 18, 8:13 AM
    • 6,109 Posts
    • 2,578 Thanks
    roddydogs
    But they are now being undercut by "outfox"!
    • editor1
    • By editor1 4th Mar 18, 8:38 AM
    • 259 Posts
    • 74 Thanks
    editor1
    But they are now being undercut by "outfox"!
    Originally posted by roddydogs
    OutFox the Market are undercutting everyone and only allowing 400 people to Switch to them per day, which, would mean maybe 200K plus customers by the year end. Of course, OFGEM issues licences to one man and his dog, which does raise concerns. I hope OFTM proves me wrong as OVO and FU need to get competitive again.
    • N1ckS
    • By N1ckS 4th Mar 18, 11:15 AM
    • 50 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    N1ckS
    Personally speaking, Bulb aren't undercut by anyone given the credit I've received from referring friends and family. Customer service is also really important and as I mentioned Ovo have also been good for me recently and surprisingly EDF were actually quite good last year.
    • moxter
    • By moxter 21st Mar 18, 4:12 PM
    • 101 Posts
    • 97 Thanks
    moxter
    I switched to Bulb from Good Energy a few weeks ago.....
    Originally posted by moxter
    Almost a year with Bulb now. My needs are simple so I've actually never needed to have any direct communication with them whatsoever - not a bad sign. Their T&Cs say they review your monthly payments a couple of times a year. I've had no review, and was bracing myself for a phone call to argue about how much I would pay each month, but it's a lot simpler than that: log on to the website and you can set your own monthly payments (!) They have suggested that they think I should be paying (£44, which is down on the £65 they set me up with to start with). Given that my account is in credit by a couple of hundred quid I felt I could safely pay less than their suggested amount as it'll take a while for the credit to drop down, and I was able to do this with no hassle at all. Impressed.

Meter readings are easy and they've added an app to the website - interface is very simple and although both app and website are pretty sparse, that's because they just have the information you need (tariff, usage, etc) rater than clogging it up with rubbish.

They have recently upped their tariff but it had come down over the course of the year, a quick check of uswitch reveals they are still one of the very cheapest green suppliers out there (the only one who is a good bit cheaper for a modest user like me is Solarplicity, who seem to be having some issues at the moment).

As an aside, if you are trying to work out tariffs you are far better plugging in your actual usage in kWh into price comparison websites (or a spreadsheet) than you are messing around with the "I live in a 2 bedroom flat" nonsense - far more accurate. Get hold of some bills, work out what you've actually used in the last 12 months, job done. (Credit to uswitch for allowing this, and credit to them for including suppliers they can't switch for you, at the touch of a button...fair play).

Not impressed with casual assumed use of my firstname, I want to be a customer not suddenly become their 'mate'.
    Originally posted by astrok
    Hey dude, could you send us a postcard from the 19th century?
    • crashingout
    • By crashingout 26th Mar 18, 8:32 AM
    • 17 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    crashingout
    I have just changed over to Bulb and it was a very smooth process. I was kept up to date by email during the changeover, very smooth.
    And I received my £50 referral on the day of my changeover which only took 17 days.
    Impressed so far.
    • islasgranny
    • By islasgranny 26th Mar 18, 9:17 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    islasgranny
    A hip little company with efficient customer service BUT I'm now really angry about their 'non participation' in the Warm Home Discount scheme. Like most people in my position I rely on this payment and when I receive a letter from the DWP saying that the money will be paid via my energy supplier I look no further.
    Bulb do not state in their promotional material that they do not take part and if they had done so I would have gone elsewhere. I did not get the relevant information until I asked why it hadn't shown up on my statement.
    I'm older and wiser now and looking for another supplier.
    Last edited by islasgranny; 26-03-2018 at 9:23 PM.
    • ailz95
    • By ailz95 30th Mar 18, 10:16 AM
    • 196 Posts
    • 1,290 Thanks
    ailz95
    Been with them a year now
    I've been with Bulb energy for a year now. I joined them because they promised not to give any money towards fracking. Everything has been good - though I've not needed to contact their customer service at all. I give a reading once a month and they send an invoice saying how much we've used.

They put their prices up and down when there's any change in cost. I'm happy with them.
    'Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts' DFW Nerd club member No. 1028.
    DMP Mutual Support member No. 429

DFD 10.9.14.

Live Simply not Simply Live
    • fatbelly
    • By fatbelly 30th Mar 18, 10:35 AM
    • 13,103 Posts
    • 10,162 Thanks
    fatbelly
    A hip little company with efficient customer service BUT I'm now really angry about their 'non participation' in the Warm Home Discount scheme. Like most people in my position I rely on this payment and when I receive a letter from the DWP saying that the money will be paid via my energy supplier I look no further.
    Bulb do not state in their promotional material that they do not take part and if they had done so I would have gone elsewhere. I did not get the relevant information until I asked why it hadn't shown up on my statement.
    I'm older and wiser now and looking for another supplier.
    Originally posted by islasgranny
    Hold on. Have they made an announcement to say they won't get involved?

They have to join the scheme when they get a certain size (is it 250000 customers?) and AFAIK they are not there yet, but are saying they will join the scheme voluntarily for the next round in 18/19.

I checked - the last announcement was on 15 March:

Currently we do not offer the Warm Home Discount so you can not apply for it yet. Once we offer it for the winter of 2018/19 you will be able to apply for it through us. We will make this process as simple and as clear as possible.
    That seems pretty clear to me.
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 30th Mar 18, 12:12 PM
    • 6,829 Posts
    • 4,386 Thanks
    Hengus
    One of the reasons why smaller suppliers can undercut larger suppliers on price is because they do not offer WHD. In my view, this should be added to the list of things that Ofgem needs to address.

FWiW, I was with Bulb for 3 months. I would not hesitate to return to them if their price remains competitive. I only switched to a fixed deal with another supplier as I could see that prices are once again rising. Bulb's takeover of my supply; its account management and final billing were without fault.
    • jackywacky
    • By jackywacky 30th Mar 18, 12:49 PM
    • 71 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    jackywacky
    I had an email from Bulb yesterday saying that they'd like to increase my monthly payments to avoid me going too far into debt. I've got no problem with that it's what all responsible companies should do.
    They did say they'd re-evaluate if I gave them up to date meter readings simply by replying to the email which I done.
    Today (Good Friday) 24 hours later I got a reply saying that as summer is coming they would hold fire with any increases.
    Perhaps some would see that as a hassle but to me that is a sign of a quick responding and good company

In future I shall be giving more regular meter readings but so far an easy company to deal with
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 30th Mar 18, 2:08 PM
    • 4,086 Posts
    • 1,113 Thanks
    Anthorn
    Hold on. Have they made an announcement to say they won't get involved?

They have to join the scheme when they get a certain size (is it 250000 customers?) and AFAIK they are not there yet, but are saying they will join the scheme voluntarily for the next round in 18/19.

I checked - the last announcement was on 15 March:

That seems pretty clear to me.
    Originally posted by fatbelly
    c.f. my previous post in this thread.

FYI the qualification cut-off date for the core group for the 2017/18 scheme was in July 2017. If that's a similar cut-off date for the 2018/19 scheme Bulb are cutting it fine. It is in fact likely that the first scheme Bulb will be involved in will be the 2019/20 scheme because they will miss the qualification date for 2018.19 and that's likely to be for both the core group and the broader group.

Personally I view Bulb's assertion that they will be providing WHD for the 2018/19 scheme as likely to be false information in order to keep or attract customers who are eligible for WHD. We'll see in July!
    • E17saver
    • By E17saver 12th Apr 18, 1:25 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 100 Thanks
    E17saver
    I'm currently trying to get a quote from Bulb using a referral from the referral thread, but their site doesn't seem to work? I'm on the 'About my current supplier' page and have put in my current supplier and tariff, and how much we use each year, but when I press 'Update my quote', the screen goes dark blue with a spinning green circle whilst it processes but then it simply dumps me back out on the 'About my current supplier' page as if I've done something wrong, but with no notification of what needs changing.

Any ideas what's happening?? Not impressed so far but willing to accept that it *could* be me somehow.
    • roddydogs
    • By roddydogs 12th Apr 18, 1:59 PM
    • 6,109 Posts
    • 2,578 Thanks
    roddydogs
    Try a differnet browser.
    • hgv1driver
    • By hgv1driver 12th Apr 18, 7:33 PM
    • 177 Posts
    • 72 Thanks
    hgv1driver
    Just got a quote from Bulb
    Electricity unit 12.737p per kW and standing charge 24.56p per day
    Gas unit 2.945p per kWh and standing charge 24.56p per day loads more than Eon been with for 2 years
    • Psyduck1980
    • By Psyduck1980 13th Apr 18, 12:26 PM
    • 57 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Psyduck1980
    Has anyone successfully reclaimed early exit fees (from another provider) from Bulb? My existing First Utility tariff expires at the end of June but I can save money by switching to them now. However, I'm not sure it's worth it really as I can switch for free in mid-May...
    • E17saver
    • By E17saver 13th Apr 18, 12:51 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 100 Thanks
    E17saver
    Try a differnet browser.
    Originally posted by roddydogs

Nope, still no joy. Most frustrating
    • Psyduck1980
    • By Psyduck1980 13th Apr 18, 4:19 PM
    • 57 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Psyduck1980
    Another query on Bulb (just in case anybody wants to help me out) - the CEC offer is £25 cashback plus an additional £30 credited to your account. Is the latter only relevant to people who switch through the CEC or is it a dual fuel discount to all who take up their standard variable tariff? TIA.
    • redfox
    • By redfox 13th Apr 18, 10:15 PM
    • 13,829 Posts
    • 37,588 Thanks
    redfox
    referral links and suggestions are only permitted on the Referrers Board (please read the forum rule). Your post has been reported.

If you have any questions about this policy please email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    Last edited by MSE ForumTeam3; 14-04-2018 at 10:04 AM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Quick Grabbit, Food Shopping & Groceries, Shop but don't drop, Loans and Cutting Tax boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,389Posts Today

7,076Users online

Martin's Twitter