Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MrsPorridge
    • By MrsPorridge 2nd Dec 15, 8:04 PM
    • 1,655Posts
    • 2,637Thanks
    MrsPorridge
    Mrs P's Diary - The Final Push
    • 2nd Dec 15, 8:04 PM
    Mrs P's Diary - The Final Push 2nd Dec 15 at 8:04 PM
    Its been quite a few months since I have posted anything on my diary - so I thought I would start a shiny new one.

A bit about myself - I am the wrong side of 50, married with one son who is in his second year at university. DH and I both work.

I am aiming to be almost debt free by December 2017. I want to count my mortgage in with this debt.

I can feel bad habits starting to creep in again and want to nip it in the bud so hopefully this diary will help to keep me on track.

Money owed:

Credit Card 1350 approx
    Overdraft 1500 approx
    Loan 1 10,000 approx
    Loan 2 15,000 approx
    Mortage 15,000 approx

Savings are 6,500

We also need some work done to the guttering and roof of the house which is costing 1,900 - have saved 1,500 towards this - the work will be done mid-January so i do have a bit of time to save up the 400.

At the moment am working to pay off the cc and the overdraft so a bit on each every month.

The loans are of course being paid monthly - I am aiming to also save once the OD and CC are paid off and then try and pay down Loan 1.

I have gone back to meal planning and doing one big shop once a month - did this last month and it worked really well. Have already done my meal plans for December and January and am hoping not to have to do a big shop until we are paid at the end of January.
    Getting back on Track
Page 3
    • MrsPorridge
    • By MrsPorridge 9th Apr 18, 10:41 AM
    • 1,655 Posts
    • 2,637 Thanks
    MrsPorridge
    Quite a lot has happened since the last time I posted - around a year and a quarter ago!

We have paid off our mortgage and the loans. Only debt now is CC running at just under 9k - which I am seriously annoyed about - made up mostly of luxuries and holidays.

DH and I have also dropped one day a week working - so now work 4 days per week.

I want to drop another day towards the end of the year and we are both thinking of our retirement. We aim to sell our house and buy a cheaper and smaller one elsewhere (although haven't decided where yet). However, I want to be debt free and perhaps more importantly, able to live within our means.

One change we can make is to get rid of one of our cars. We live in a remote area and petrol/car usage is extremely high - both travel a round trip of 40 miles a day for work. We do car share sometimes, DH leaves home at 6am - I at around 7am. If we get rid of one car then we would have to car share. I need to compromise as I am quite flexible working whereas DH needs to clock in at 7am and clocks out at 3.30pm.

I am the one pushing this as I we can easily save upwards of 200 per month by getting rid of one car. But, I am dreading getting up one hour earlier 4 days a week - how selfish and weak I sound - seriously its a no brainer isn't it?

I need to woman up and just suck it up and get on with it - think of how much we can save and therefore get rid of this CC debt.

I have started to declutter the house and we are meal planning 95% of the time - so the only other bit we can cut back on is the transport costs.
    Getting back on Track
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 9th Apr 18, 4:42 PM
    • 53,955 Posts
    • 213,778 Thanks
    beanielou
    Good news on the mortgage & the loans.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger.
    • MrsPorridge
    • By MrsPorridge 10th Apr 18, 7:04 AM
    • 1,655 Posts
    • 2,637 Thanks
    MrsPorridge
    Well I survived my first morning of getting up early and car sharing. And it wasn't too bad - it helps that its not really too dark of course.

I was very organized last night and laid my clothes out - put my make up into my handbag - to do my face at work. I also had a pot with some rice krispies in, so that went in with my packed lunch plus two flasks - one of tea and one of coffee plus another flask with milk in for the rice krispies - I was like the flask lady!

We filled up with diesel last night 50 - so let's see how long that lasts just using the one car.
    Getting back on Track
    • MrsPorridge
    • By MrsPorridge 11th Apr 18, 7:25 AM
    • 1,655 Posts
    • 2,637 Thanks
    MrsPorridge
    This morning I've checked my bank balance and it's not looking too bad - still 16 days till pay day. Wonder if I'll ever stop thinking about pay day?

In other news my CC debt is over two cards - Sainsbogs which is zero percent till November 2019 and RBS which I'm paying a fee on. Good news is that DH applied for a zero percent Barclaycard and go it - so if the paperwork arrives tonight I can set up the online payment thingy and then make the transfer - if memory serves the zero percent is for 30 months. Then all debt will be on zero percent and I can start to hammer it down a bit.
    Getting back on Track
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 11th Apr 18, 1:10 PM
    • 53,955 Posts
    • 213,778 Thanks
    beanielou
    Good news on the CC's.

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • MrsPorridge
    • By MrsPorridge 18th Apr 18, 7:38 AM
    • 1,655 Posts
    • 2,637 Thanks
    MrsPorridge
    DH is now on board with selling the other car - so hopefully that will go next week.

Weekend spent taking stuff to dump and charity shop. Still got another two bags of charity stuff ready to go - where does it all come from?
    Getting back on Track
    • MrsPorridge
    • By MrsPorridge 18th Apr 18, 7:40 AM
    • 1,655 Posts
    • 2,637 Thanks
    MrsPorridge
    Barclaycard also arrived so have transferred majority of RBS onto it - so that is zero percent for two years. Payday will see me hopefully pay off the rest of the RBS. Which will just leave two CCs both zero percent.
    Getting back on Track
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 18th Apr 18, 1:45 PM
    • 53,955 Posts
    • 213,778 Thanks
    beanielou
    Good news at just 2 cards at 0%.

***Keep plodding***
    • MrsPorridge
    • By MrsPorridge 20th Apr 18, 1:39 PM
    • 1,655 Posts
    • 2,637 Thanks
    MrsPorridge
    A productive day so far....

Two loads of washing out on the line.

Hoovered and tidied up downstairs and most of upstairs.

3 bags ready for the charity shop - I will drop them off next week on way to work.

2 items I listed on Ebay will sell - so packaging boxes and tape at the ready! I will post them on Monday.

Another item listed on Ebay - I don't think it will sell - if not then it will go to charity shop.

Looked at my budget. I will be able to pay off RBS next pay day (using the money that we got from selling one car). This then leaves two cards on zero percent - one Sainsbogs will a balance of 6,006.34 which is zero percent till November 2019 and the Barclaycard with a balance of 2,680 with zero percent till December 2020. The following payday I will start to pay more than the minimum on the Sainsbogs and just the minimum on the Barclaycard.

I am 110 into my OD which I am not happy about - hopefully the two items I am selling on Ebay will cover that.

Worked out a new budget now we only have one car. Should save at least 120 per month on diesel alone - never mind tyres, servicing, MOT and anything else that might crop up. I am actually going to be able to start saving from pay day
    Getting back on Track
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 20th Apr 18, 8:23 PM
    • 53,955 Posts
    • 213,778 Thanks
    beanielou
    Good news on RBS

***Keep plodding***
    • MrsPorridge
    • By MrsPorridge 27th Apr 18, 8:03 AM
    • 1,655 Posts
    • 2,637 Thanks
    MrsPorridge
    On way to work another two bags dropped off to charity shop. A seriously grim day today weather wise - raining, dull and loads of surface water.

On the plus side it's Friday and as I don't work Mondays I get a lovely 3 day weekend every week

Also on the plus side DH gets paid today - so later I'll be organizing my banking.

For the first time in ages I am going to be able to start saving - now that I have "only" 2 CCs both at 0%.
    Getting back on Track
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 27th Apr 18, 3:26 PM
    • 53,955 Posts
    • 213,778 Thanks
    beanielou
    Great to only have two credit cards

***Keep plodding***
    • MrsPorridge
    • By MrsPorridge 8th May 18, 1:51 PM
    • 1,655 Posts
    • 2,637 Thanks
    MrsPorridge
    Today I found 4 oldish cameras - all listed on Ebay and two have already sold with buy it now - for a total of just over 100.

DH will bring packaging home from work tonight so we'll pack them up and get them off to the post office.

Have set myself a small target of trying to sell a couple of items each month. Next on my list is my old MacBook Air - but first I need to find out how to wipe the hard drive and re-set everything back to the factory settings so will check that out during the week and then get that listed.
    Getting back on Track
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 8th May 18, 5:36 PM
    • 53,955 Posts
    • 213,778 Thanks
    beanielou
    Good news on the money

***Keep plodding***
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,131Posts Today

8,004Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin