Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • whattochoose
    • By whattochoose 1st Dec 15, 4:18 PM
    • 327Posts
    • 86Thanks
    whattochoose
    Avro Energy UK.
    • 1st Dec 15, 4:18 PM
    Avro Energy UK. 1st Dec 15 at 4:18 PM
    MoneySavingExpert.com Insert:

Lots more people are posting their reviews on our dedicated Avro Energy Reviews discussion. Feel free to add yours there.

Back to whattochoose' original post...

----

I'm presently with Ebico for gas and Eon for electricity. My tariff with Eon ends on 16th January 2016, so I thought I would do a price comparison and used the Cheaper Energy Club and Which price comparison websites. Both came up with Avro Energy as the cheapest alternative..
    http://www.avroenergy.co.uk/
    Second was Extra energy and GB energy was third.
    I wonder if members have any experience of Avro and would they recommend it?
    From what I've read on here Extra energy looks like one to avoid but GB energy sounds like it might be one to consider.
    Any advice appreciated.
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 16-01-2018 at 12:59 PM.
Page 3
    • laroc
    • By laroc 9th Apr 16, 9:41 AM
    • 69 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    laroc
    RE: Avro Security Deposit in their T&C
    On speaking to them I was informed this deposit would be initiated if a customer failed the Credit Check.
    This would be to prevent bills being run up without a means to pay.
    To date (6th April 2016) they have not used this option on any of their customers
    Personally I dont see this as a problem
    • laroc
    • By laroc 11th Apr 16, 6:31 PM
    • 69 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    laroc
    I have just registered with avro energy... Quickly got my welcome pack by email and then the surprise they want the first direct payment (15th Feb) before connection on the 25th.. Will Ring them tomorrow to sort this out never had to pay for gas and electric in advance before...
    The other thing the phone lines close at 17.30 Monday - Friday

Peter.collins443

Glad I have 14 days to cancel this if this correct
    Originally posted by peter.collins443
    =====================================
    Yes, I have stumbled across this
    I also read in their T&C your first DD payment will be due at the end of the cancellation period
    ie, 14 days
    A bit much when you probably will have to wait 30 days for the supply
    I dont think much to giving my hard earned cash in advance
    Last edited by laroc; 11-04-2016 at 6:33 PM. Reason: addition from Laroc
    • By 2010 12th Apr 16, 7:44 AM
    • 4,187 Posts
    • 3,339 Thanks
    =====================================
    Yes, I have stumbled across this
    I also read in their T&C your first DD payment will be due at the end of the cancellation period
    ie, 14 days
    A bit much when you probably will have to wait 30 days for the supply
    I dont think much to giving my hard earned cash in advance
    Originally posted by laroc
    My first DD was taken on the 4th March and actual switch date was the 12th March.
    Applied to switch to Avro on 12th Feb.

You might like to ask them any questions via their Facebook page.
    • Keith Spamer
    • By Keith Spamer 26th Apr 16, 11:50 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Keith Spamer
    I had a fixed rate 2 year agreement with Ovo paid by direct debit which ended on 31 March 2016. When it finished Ovo put me on a different higher rate and so I used a couple of comparison sites and decided to change supplier. Ovo have blocked the transfer because they claim there is an unpaid balance, there is an unpaid balance but its only for April's usage so is not yet even 28 days old. Despite numerous complaints they won't lift the block and every time I e-mail to complain I get an automated reply. I have a threatening letter saying they will forcible enter my property and cut off the supply or forcible fit a pre-payment meter. I have no debt and an impeccable credit record. The new prospective supplier won't make the change without Ovo's consent.
    • alexei2k
    • By alexei2k 13th Jun 16, 9:13 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    alexei2k
    Note I have just placed a very negative feedback on another Avro thread. But it appears I cannot put links to that post in here so I am copying my message below - I think it's important people are aware of this:
    Having a very bad experience with Avro so far. Switched to them 3 months ago. Now, suddenly, it appears the final gas reading they sent to my previous supplier (and which they did VERY LATE after the switch date) has nothing to do with my actual reading I sent them on the day of the switch as requested. The former is much higher. So they are overcharging me by a substantial amount. No explanation given, I have already contacted them twice, on the phone and by email. Still waiting for a response. I really do not have time for sorting out this kind of administration problems, so I am transferring out of Avro ASAP. Do not want to deal with all these unprofessional unexperienced start-ups. And I am still waiting for my first bill from Avro - unbelievable! In the meantime, they are charging me by monthly DD - in advance! BEWARE!
    • UsOrThem
    • By UsOrThem 23rd Nov 16, 9:00 AM
    • 15 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    UsOrThem
    Left unsure
    As as believer in early adoption to facilitate change I came here to work out if Avro are worth the switch after seeing them at the top of the Energy club. I see a real mix bag but what has put me off are the dubious glowing reviews from brand new 'single post' members. I would suggest if these people are actually 'Avro' they are upfront about it. The MSE forum is too full of savvy people to try a dupe us with those kind of posts, if anything you come across as duplicitous which doesn't reflect well on the company.
    They can't be unaware of this forum so as a new company they should be on the here building relations as themselves to quell peoples concerns about joining a new energy supplier.
    I don't want to support the big 6 but my feelings are I'll stay away from Avro for the time being and see how they fair post winter.
    The tipping point is only reached by more people jumping up and down!
    • By 2010 23rd Nov 16, 9:14 AM
    • 4,187 Posts
    • 3,339 Thanks
    I don't want to support the big 6 but my feelings are I'll stay away from Avro for the time being and see how they fair post winter.
    Originally posted by UsOrThem
    Well I`m hardly a new poster and I switched to Avro last Feb only a couple of months after Avro started up.

Switch went through on time and with no probs.
    They email you to put in readings at the end of every month and their bills are accurate.

Would I recommend them to relatives and friends?
    If they are the cheapest provider then YES.
    • Lulu58
    • By Lulu58 10th Jan 17, 11:20 AM
    • 145 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    Lulu58
    Avro Energy have come out well on our Cheap Energy Club results. I've just tried to call their help line with a few queries and was kept waiting for 23 minutes as 'due to our competitive pricing we are receiving a high volume of calls'.

There are a few consumer reviews at the bottom of this page: http://energy-advise.com/2015/12/28/avro-energy-reviews/. Bit mixed so not entirely sure whether to switch to them.
    Last edited by Lulu58; 10-01-2017 at 1:20 PM.
    • tusker
    • By tusker 3rd Feb 17, 12:45 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    tusker
    My first month with Avro
    I switched from Ovo exactly one month ago, because their rates for dual fuel became unattractive when a 12 month fixed rate ended.

So far I can report the following:
    • 1 month is 8.3% of a year. Already Avro have helped themselves to 17.9% of what they estimate my annual expenditure to be.
    • The reason they appear to have taken more than 2 months worth of debits is the first 2 debits have been for one twelfth of the annual estimate, plus 10 (x2)!
    • I submitted the meter readings on 31 Jan. It is now 3rd Feb and so far no statement is showing online in my account.

When I asked by email why 2 monthly debits had been taken before any bill was submitted, I received the following reply:
    This (the first debit) will then be kept and not used until your account goes live with us when it will then be used as your first months payment. After the payment is taken you are then able to change your payment date if you wish? If not, it will remain on the same date each month. We have taken a payment on the 24th December and the 24th January.
    As sentence 2 contradicts what what they say they will do in sentence 4, I requested clarification. I also asked why they are taking 10 per month more than one twelfth of the annual estimate. Avro replied thus:
    Your monthly payments were quoted o you based on the figures you used when signing up. This estimation we have is based on figures provided to us by National Grid on your property and may not be true to your actual usage. We will review your account tin 3-6 months to make sure we are charging you correctly.

If we are not we can look at adjusting our payments.

If you are unhappy with our services we have no exit fees so you are free to switch away.
    I conclude from the above Avro do not answer clearly their customers' questions, and if I don't like it, "I am free to switch away". Hmmm!

At the end of the day (or perhaps year!), if they get the bills right, haven't charged me more than I have used, and are the cheapest reliable supplier, then I will be happy. So it's been a far from encouraging start, but I will bide my time to see how their service pans out in a couple of months time
    • PhilAtkinson2001
    • By PhilAtkinson2001 20th Apr 17, 10:04 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    PhilAtkinson2001
    Have been with Avro Energy for almost 14 months now
    Now I have been with Avro Energy for over 1 year. Having solar panels & a Nest Thermostat I take great pride in keeping a tight control on my household energy usage. My estimated monthly invoice was 39 each month, based upon my previous years usage, which for a 3 bedroom house is ok, which I have paid each month. This last few months my consumption has gone down as I have installed a Nest Thermostat which allows me to turn off the heating when I am not at home.

Unfortunately, Avro Energy are terrible at utilizing my meter readings, which I really don't understand, so their 'Statements' are always wrong. When ever I am asked to provide a meter reading I do within the timeline provided but these are not always used by Avro. Anyway, after finally calling them & sending photos of my meter readings my account was corrected & it showed a credit of 60 but they so far they have failed to deal with my refund or my reduction in Direct Debit payments.

This means that I am over-paying Avro Energy for my energy as well as requiring a refund for the overpayment. Well, what a nightmare trying to get this refund from Avro & a reduction in my energy usage; even though they now have 14 months worth of meter readings, it was as though they didn't believe them. It ended with me asking to speak to a more Senior Staff Member & I was told that no-one was available & if I wasn't happy I could leave; what a fine attitude to customer management. In a word disgraceful.

So I said that I was happy to wait & was chatting to the agent trying to get an understanding as to why they refused to lower my Direct Debit; after 65 minutes Avro just hung up on me. There was no arrangement to call me back or to do anything, they just outright hung up the phone; disgusting behaviour.

So yes, Avro may well be cheap but they don't do what they say they do on their website & any promise to make sure that our invoices are net zero after 1 year is rubbish. In theory they should have reviewed my account between 2 & 4 times according to their web-site but they have failed to notice that they are over billing me let alone offering my a refund & reduction in my Direct Debit payment.

Nevertheless, they are still projecting that next year my Energy Usage will increase by 50%; it's a company staffed by people who refuse to listen. Being an ex-Power Trader with 25+ years experience I find it disheartening when a 20 year old Customer Service agent advises me that I don't know what I am taking about & then refuses to pass me onto someone who can help.

So deal with this company at your own peril; I have written to the Managing Director & will lodge a complaint with the Ombudsman but what a pain in the !!!. All because I wanted to adjust my Direct Debit down to 34 each month which is inline with my previous billing as well as obtain a refund for my overpayment.

Avro Energy is great in theory but their promise falls flat when you try to get a refund of an overpayment or a reduction in your Direct Debit. Due to the treatment that I have received, I can only assumed that this is standard for them, it would not surprise me if Avro Energy became Insolvent in the near future.

So beware of dealing with Avro Energy or under estimate your energy usage so that you are not in the position I am in trying to get a refund & a reduction in Direct Debit payments.
    • petejay
    • By petejay 23rd May 17, 4:04 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    petejay
    I subscribe to energypricewatch.com
    They inform me that my account at Avro has now ended and my account has been transferred to isupply.
    Any one else experienced this?
    • applicationcen
    • By applicationcen 5th Jan 18, 5:32 PM
    • 93 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    applicationcen
    Starting to get warning signals that all is not as it seems with Avro.

On my December bill I submitted the Customer readings for both Gas and Electricity on 1 / 12.

Under Electricity the December bills says C - which i take to mean a customer reading.
    Under Gas the December bill says N - then the reading I input on on 1 / 12

What is 'N' ? There is no description on the bill at all to explain.

I am approximately 3 months in advance regarding credit at the highest usage point. That means Ill have accumulate about 50% of the toal year bill in credit if I dont stop them before the 12 month point passes.(There is no tie in period, I am on Simple and Savvy).

I've been very careful to put the meter readings in at the required times. By reading the bills they disregard my readings and estimate the bills for the 2nd of each month.

So I input the reading for the 2nd of Jan - lets see if they substitute an estimate for the day they run the bill on!
    • applicationcen
    • By applicationcen 8th Jan 18, 4:46 PM
    • 93 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    applicationcen
    I am caller 22 with an expected time of 17 minutes
    • SHELLYCsC79
    • By SHELLYCsC79 5th Mar 18, 6:22 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    SHELLYCsC79
    Would stay well away!!!!
    Do not go with this company...... you give readings and they use higher estimates to produce your bill instead. They demand payments on day bill is issued and harass you continuously even though they have used a higher estimate to produce your bill when only days before had the actual readings which also shows on your bill. Trying to get away from them and switch is like trying to get a lock jaw dog off your leg. It's insane. They are not helpful and they offer no help or solutions to people dealing with bereavements or problems. Your alright if you keep quiet and don't read your bills. This people go all out to rip people off!!!
    • 48york
    • By 48york 20th Mar 18, 12:15 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    48york
    Avro Energy
    I was with Avro Energy and applied to switch to a new supplier in February but as I was in debit Avro did not allow the switch, put me on a higher costing rate BUT they did not contact me about the situation and according to them they say they are NOT obliged to contact someone if they have blocked the switch and this is stated in their terms and conditions.
    I think this a complete disgrace and Avro and any company doing this are taking advantage of the rules and people should not switch to these companies as they would sooner we pay more than we use so when we change we will be in credit and wait for the refund than owe them a small amount of money.
    I have now settled my account and hopefully my switch will take place but once again it is the public like me that have been taken advantage of and lost money!
    • Stoke
    • By Stoke 20th Mar 18, 4:09 PM
    • 2,113 Posts
    • 1,177 Thanks
    Stoke
    I've had perfectly reasonable service up until today. They're now acting ridiculously over a new account at the same address, insisting I pay a higher direct debit, even though my usage has gone down and my previous account was in credit.

Maybe it's time to switch? Nothing good lasts forever.
    • Stoke
    • By Stoke 20th Mar 18, 4:11 PM
    • 2,113 Posts
    • 1,177 Thanks
    Stoke
    I am caller 22 with an expected time of 17 minutes
    Originally posted by applicationcen
    I was caller 9, and waited for half an hour before getting spoken to. That dreadful rave music doesn't help.
    • Angie68
    • By Angie68 26th Mar 18, 11:42 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Angie68
    Avro supply good but beware when you try to move - do not follow energy rules. Been held to ransom for last 3 months with Avro rejecting switch due to 49 debit, despite paying in full they produce new bill each month and refuse to honour final bill rule if amount due is less than 28 days old - stuck in a switch/reject loop due to timings and won't let me be in credit - nightmare!!
    • applicationcen
    • By applicationcen 26th Mar 18, 5:27 PM
    • 93 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    applicationcen
    I initiated a move from Avro to Octopus which took place on 12th Feb this year.

Having been contacted by their Customer Service Rep on 23rd Jan 2018 - I instructed them by email and in conversation with a very nice reassuring woman, not to take any more money from my account. It was in Credit and I was due to be reimbursed by circa 60.

I just checked today that they had made the credit payment back to my account.

Horrified to see they have not credited the account -
    Even more horrified that they have taken 2 more payments out on the 23r Feb and 23 march of 123.00 each!

I was stupid not to have shut the DD down!! Avro receive good reviews - but why do these companies ALWAYS take liberties?
    • applicationcen
    • By applicationcen 27th Mar 18, 11:02 AM
    • 93 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    applicationcen
    Reversing Direct Debits -

Simply call your bank and explain that your energy company has continued to take direct debits after their supply contract has terminated.
    The banks are compelled to pay it back to you and seek the money from the energy company.
    All charges associated with the DD transactions will either be waived or the charges reimbursed to your account.

DON'T put up with bully boy energy companies stealing your hard earned money. They do it as a matter of course with out a care in the world for their customers.

I have just had 246 immediately returned with no questions asked.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,081Posts Today

8,614Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Giesabrek: @MartinSLewis Just switched combined energy supply thanks to the Cheap Energy Club and saved £487pa almost 30% thanks for th?

• This week's MSE emails out inc Why I'm suing Facebook, TSB help, Big energy switch ends, free eye test, cheap Easy? https://t.co/cHaLs25dUD

• It's an ad. I don't do ads. Its not legit. No ads with me in are legit. That is another scam. https://t.co/uEgbuhJzxy

• Follow Martin