Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Hellz85
    • By Hellz85 27th Nov 15, 9:00 PM
    • 42Posts
    • 31Thanks
    Hellz85
    Section 157 housing act help
    • 27th Nov 15, 9:00 PM
    Section 157 housing act help 27th Nov 15 at 9:00 PM
    Hi all

I have found a house which I love, however, this house falls under/has a clause (?) section 157 of the housing act which states that you have to live or work in the area (Devon) for 3 years prior to buying the house. Even though I have very strong ties to the area (born, grew up, relatives) I have lived and worked away for too long. I have checked this with the council too and the only way around it seems to be if you are contributing to the community ie police, nursing, social work. I don't do any of these.

There is no reason, however, why my parents can't buy the house and we transfer the house over to me in 3 years time. The council lady says this is fine and parents would be happy for this too. My question is, how much more will this cost us? They already own a home so I assume this would all need to happen before April to avoid a higher rate of stamp duty. How much are we likely to be charged to transfer back to me in the future? No mortgage required.

Thanks in advance for anyone who can help
Page 2
    • jamesp31
    • By jamesp31 14th Apr 16, 6:59 PM
    • 63 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    jamesp31
    I realise this post is a bit old now but I thought I would add my own experience of section 157. 2 years ago we bought an ex local authority house in west Dorset which had been completely refurbished so seemed a great buy. The problem we encountered was when, just days away from exchange of contracts, we had a phone call from our mortgage provider (Britannia) to say they were withdrawing their mortgage offer as they do not lend on properties with such restrictions. They claimed they had not been told by the solicitor about this. I complained and eventually they decided to lend the money after all, whilst reminding me it was a one off and it was still their policy not to lend on properties with this restriction. So my advice to anyone thinking about buying a property which is subject to section 157, ask your lender right at the start of the application if they are happy to lend. When I started the application process I told them it was ex local authority but I never realised the significance of section 157 and never thought to mention it. Don't be caught out like we were.
    • devon007
    • By devon007 13th Apr 18, 3:48 PM
    • 60 Posts
    • 103 Thanks
    devon007
    I know this is an old post but in case it comes up again - in South Hams they will sometimes apply another part of that Section regulation - the buyer needs to have worked for 7 of the previous 20 years (not consecutive years) within the District.

I recently purchased a property where you needed residence or local connections, after coming back to the area 18 months ago from Wales where I moved in 2010. I had lived in the area from 1995 to 2010. I had still been working in Devon during that period but across various towns/cities as a locum through Somerset/Devon/Cornwall, although I now worked permanently in South Hams. I was allowed to buy :-)
    • jaxb
    • By jaxb 10th May 18, 3:31 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jaxb
    Devon007
    I am currently trying to buy a house in the South Hams District which is subject to the Devon Covenant, and am hitting a wall despite having been born in Cornwall and lived and worked in Devon from 1993 until 2010, when I moved to Hampshire for work.
    I am now returning to Devon; I have a job with a small local business within the Dartmoor National Park, aging/ill parents just across the border in Cornwall, and family and friends living and working in Devon.
    I believe I fit the spirit of the legislation but seem to be getting nowhere fast.
    Who did you present your situation to at South Hams Council?
    Any suggestions and help welcomed.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,999Posts Today

6,039Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin