Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Fraser
    • By MSE Fraser 26th Nov 15, 9:31 AM
    • 30Posts
    • 4Thanks
    MSE Fraser
    Avro Energy reviews: Give your feedback
    • 26th Nov 15, 9:31 AM
    Avro Energy reviews: Give your feedback 26th Nov 15 at 9:31 AM
    This is a feedback thread on energy supplier

Avro Energy

Please share your experience with other MoneySavers. Click reply to take part
    • Did you switch go smoothly?
    • Have you had problems since?
    • Is it easy to contact?
    The feedback comes as part of the

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
    Last edited by Former MSE Andrea; 07-09-2017 at 3:18 PM.
Page 46
    • Biggus Dickus
    • By Biggus Dickus 16th Apr 19, 10:55 AM
    • 166 Posts
    • 78 Thanks
    Biggus Dickus
    I'm going to be in a similar position soon. My transfer out of Avro is underway and I will end up with a small credit balance. I intend to cancel the DD once the new account is underway. My thinking is that Avro take payments up front, so have no right to take a payment after the contract has ended, especially not for an account in credit, but I'd bet they'll try.

We know it's nonsense about them needing the DD in place to refund the balance, they can always send me a cheque if that's their argument. No doubt they'll then say they only process cheques on one day a month, or some other delaying tactic like that.
    Originally posted by victor2
    However painful it may get do not cancel your D/D;...you’ll get all your credit refunded eventually,...but cancelling your D/D before the dust has settled can cause problems with your switch.

I left Avro last year and they were excellent to be fair;...they didn’t take an additional D/D after my official leaving day and once my final gas & leccy readings had been ‘industry verified’ (which took many weeks!) Avro issued my definitive ‘final bill’ in very short order. My credit refund followed on quickly after that;...however, that was then!
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 16th Apr 19, 2:46 PM
    • 5,181 Posts
    • 2,591 Thanks
    Consumerist
    Hi, So energy and Zog energy have confirmed that my switch is now complete.
    Can anyone confirm that it is OK to cancel my direct debit with Avro. . .
    Originally posted by hawkwind
    That's what I've been doing for years. Your contract ends when the switch completes. If you owe them money (ha, ha) then you are still liable for payment but you are no longer subject to their Ts&Cs.

A word to the wise - From 01 May Ofgem requires all energy suppliers to pay £30 automatic compensation if outstanding credit from a switch is not refunded within 10 working days of producing the final bill (unless the bill is disputed). Then £30 for every 10 days' delay thereafter.

If you play your cards right, you could get some small revenge.
    Last edited by Consumerist; 16-04-2019 at 2:57 PM.
    Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
    • hawkwind
    • By hawkwind 17th Apr 19, 9:26 AM
    • 222 Posts
    • 72 Thanks
    hawkwind
    That's what I've been doing for years. Your contract ends when the switch completes. If you owe them money (ha, ha) then you are still liable for payment but you are no longer subject to their Ts&Cs.

A word to the wise - From 01 May Ofgem requires all energy suppliers to pay £30 automatic compensation if outstanding credit from a switch is not refunded within 10 working days of producing the final bill (unless the bill is disputed). Then £30 for every 10 days' delay thereafter.

If you play your cards right, you could get some small revenge.
    Originally posted by Consumerist
    Thank you
    I will go ahead and cancel the DD then, to be fair to Avro they have been fine for me in all of the time I have been with them and always changed my tariff if a cheaper one was available straight away.
    No point in risking an extra payment though if I don't have to.
    • victor2
    • By victor2 17th Apr 19, 3:47 PM
    • 4,916 Posts
    • 3,291 Thanks
    victor2
    Received an email from Avro yesterday asking me to confirm I was leaving, which I did. Then today received a "sorry you're leaving" email which included the following:
    We have received notification that a new provider is due to take over your energy supply, so I have set your Direct Debit payments to zero to ensure that no further payments will be taken. Once we have received your final readings from your new provider, we can produce your final bill and this will be available for you to download via your myAvro account. Please note this process can take up to 6 weeks.

Seems pretty clear that they won't take any more payments, even if I don't cancel my DD. Might wait until the final bill is produced before contacting my bank to cancel the DD, just to see if they're as good as their word.
    • polymaff
    • By polymaff 17th Apr 19, 4:26 PM
    • 2,702 Posts
    • 1,235 Thanks
    polymaff
    Received an email from Avro yesterday asking me to confirm I was leaving, which I did. Then today received a "sorry you're leaving" email which included the following:

Seems pretty clear that they won't take any more payments, even if I don't cancel my DD. Might wait until the final bill is produced before contacting my bank to cancel the DD, just to see if they're as good as their word.
    Originally posted by victor2

That's what I received and that's what I'm waiting out - apprehensively.
    • coldinstaffordshire
    • By coldinstaffordshire 18th Apr 19, 10:15 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    coldinstaffordshire
    The wording in my "sorry you're leaving" email was more threatening than anything else, and certainly did not include the reduction to 0 on my Direct Debit. They demanded payment of my previously unknown amount before allowing me to switch. I paid in full and they've taken a DD since then.

Now I asked for a final bill and was told

We are currently awaiting your final meter readings from your new supplier.

Once we have received these via the National Database, we will then be able to produce your final bill and refund any credit back to yourself.
    So goodness knows how long I have to wait
    • victor2
    • By victor2 18th Apr 19, 10:43 AM
    • 4,916 Posts
    • 3,291 Thanks
    victor2
    The wording in my "sorry you're leaving" email was more threatening than anything else, and certainly did not include the reduction to 0 on my Direct Debit. They demanded payment of my previously unknown amount before allowing me to switch. I paid in full and they've taken a DD since then.

Originally posted by coldinstaffordshire
    Maybe it depends on whether or not you have a credit balance that will probably cover your usage until the switch goes through.
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 19th Apr 19, 1:46 PM
    • 5,181 Posts
    • 2,591 Thanks
    Consumerist
    Originally posted by coldinstaffordshire
    I've said it before and I'll say it again.

A debit balance is not a justification for blocking a switch. The debt provision is supposed to be for those on debt-repayment plans. It is the very nature of paying by DD that the account might fluctuate between credit and debit during the life-time of a contract.

If I had been in your situation I would have made a formal complaint, claiming compensation for any extra costs if I miss the chance to make the switch I had intended. You might want to go down that route after the switch has finally completed.
    Last edited by Consumerist; 19-04-2019 at 1:48 PM.
    • ymmit
    • By ymmit 20th Apr 19, 11:25 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ymmit
    Strange company this one.
    Six months in I am making the direct debits and sending readings via the web site. My payments show as an ever increasing balance as do my last meter readings but the rest of the website is an estimated algorithm. As it happens I know my usage is as I forecast as I have always keep a detailed spreadsheet.
    The transfer went anonymously well but is there anyone there?
    Originally posted by aylesby
    #metoo - they are taking money every month, I'm getting notifications and sending meter readings but no bills.
    • cranford
    • By cranford 20th Apr 19, 4:12 PM
    • 411 Posts
    • 203 Thanks
    cranford
    ymmit, have you phoned/emailed them to ask when they are going to produce your billls?
    As a mater of course Avro ask me by email every month for reading which I enter through my account but they don't email to say when the bills have been produced.
    Others have said that until they produce bills they can show the cash they have collected in their bank balance.
    • Madison58
    • By Madison58 20th Apr 19, 5:19 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Madison58
    Madison
    Switched to Avro 1 year ago on MSE's recomendation - just renewed. I have found them very easy to deal with, their rates are very competitive and their site is easy to navigate. What more do you want ?
    • cranford
    • By cranford 21st Apr 19, 8:05 AM
    • 411 Posts
    • 203 Thanks
    cranford
    Madison58, I too have a good service from Avro but what more do customers of Avro want? They want Avro to get to grips and provide timely ways of contacting them whether by telephone or email, they often don't seen to have a telephone system that's up and running and emails take a week. Many also complain that they hang on to large credit balances as long as possible whether its built up over the year or due as the result of a switch. It not acceptable that customers wait for more than two week let alone the six weeks or more that seems to be their norm. its not acceptable that they take another DD after a switch whether a customer is in credit or not. They like customers to keep the DD open after a switch but on their part they must stop taking these payments.
    Last edited by cranford; 22-04-2019 at 6:43 PM. Reason: typo
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 22nd Apr 19, 3:07 PM
    • 5,181 Posts
    • 2,591 Thanks
    Consumerist
    . . . its not acceptable that they take another DD after a switch whether a customer is in credit or not. They like customers to keep the DD open after a switch but on their part they must stop taking these payments.
    Originally posted by cranford
    From some recent posts, Avro have started to reduce DDs to zero during a switch. I am currently on a promise but not sure yet whether they are good to their word.

I get the impression that someone (Ofgem?) might have had a word in their ear recently.
    • Maddiemoo
    • By Maddiemoo 23rd Apr 19, 4:41 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Maddiemoo
    Very disappointed!
    I transferred to Avro in April 2017 as they appeared to be cheaper than my existing supplier but I now know I was wrong!
    At the end of the first year with them I ended up owing £333, which I had to pay in one go & which is a lot of money to find, they didn't suggest upping my direct debit during the year. Now at the end of this, the 2nd year with them, I owe £236! Again extra money I have to find.
    I have contacted Avro via email several times over the 2 years & they always take over a week to reply. I have changed supplier with effect from 14-3-19 & it has taken Avro until today to calculate my final bill!
    I am hoping I will have a better experience this time around with the new supplier- if not I think maybe sticking with the big suppliers is a better option?!
    I would seriously recommend avoiding Avro!
    • polymaff
    • By polymaff 23rd Apr 19, 6:37 PM
    • 2,702 Posts
    • 1,235 Thanks
    polymaff
    I am hoping I will have a better experience this time around with the new supplier- if not I think maybe sticking with the big suppliers is a better option?!
    Originally posted by Maddiemoo

Now that big suppliers are starting to actively compete on price, I'm sure that many will agree with you.
    • Naivasha
    • By Naivasha 24th Apr 19, 8:18 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Naivasha
    Have been with Avro this past year and have had no problems at all. Having to read my meters each month is probably the only downside but my initial quote has been met.
    • colinblue
    • By colinblue 24th Apr 19, 7:40 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    colinblue
    still waiting for money owed to me from January
    I switched suppliers in Jan, Avro took another DD in Feb after the account was closed. They have stopped responding to my emails and the phone number leaves you on hold for over 20mins so I have had to go to the Ombudsman
    • Catriona_P
    • By Catriona_P 25th Apr 19, 8:05 AM
    • 800 Posts
    • 4,707 Thanks
    Catriona_P
    I've just had my first bill from Avro since November last year - for some reason using estimated readings (this is despite me providing accurate ones via their website every month including two weeks ago). The estimated figures are only slightly less than my real ones so I don't see the point at this stage in trying to contact them (which is nigh on impossible anyway). But it does make you wonder if your meter readings are going straight into a black hole somewhere!
    "Why, this is hell, nor am I out of it."
    • Alpha 5
    • By Alpha 5 25th Apr 19, 12:25 PM
    • 36 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    Alpha 5
    I've just had my first bill from Avro since November last year - for some reason using estimated readings (this is despite me providing accurate ones via their website every month including two weeks ago). The estimated figures are only slightly less than my real ones so I don't see the point at this stage in trying to contact them (which is nigh on impossible anyway). But it does make you wonder if your meter readings are going straight into a black hole somewhere!
    Originally posted by Catriona_P
    I phoned them at 2pm a few days back and got through in just under 10 mins.
    • Bean_counter
    • By Bean_counter 25th Apr 19, 7:53 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Bean_counter
    Good until you want any of your money back from the balance on your account. They refuse to give what you ask for in full and it then takes a month of wrangling to actually get it. Lots of procrastination from their side to keep hold of your money for as long as possible.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

543Posts Today

5,775Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin