Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Fraser
    • By MSE Fraser 26th Nov 15, 9:31 AM
    • 30Posts
    • 4Thanks
    MSE Fraser
    Avro Energy reviews: Give your feedback
    • 26th Nov 15, 9:31 AM
    Avro Energy reviews: Give your feedback 26th Nov 15 at 9:31 AM
    This is a feedback thread on energy supplier

Avro Energy

Please share your experience with other MoneySavers. Click reply to take part
    • Did you switch go smoothly?
    • Have you had problems since?
    • Is it easy to contact?
    The feedback comes as part of the

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply.
    Last edited by Former MSE Andrea; 07-09-2017 at 3:18 PM.
Page 45
    • philng
    • By philng 5th Apr 19, 7:47 AM
    • 657 Posts
    • 85 Thanks
    philng
    Renewed with AVRO about a month ago but see they are frequently releasing revised deals at a slightly lower rate.

Is there anyway to switch to a lower deal as an existing customer without phoning up?
    • victor2
    • By victor2 5th Apr 19, 7:56 AM
    • 4,916 Posts
    • 3,291 Thanks
    victor2
    Renewed with AVRO about a month ago but see they are frequently releasing revised deals at a slightly lower rate.

Is there anyway to switch to a lower deal as an existing customer without phoning up?
    Originally posted by philng
    You could try doing it by email. They say they take up to 5 working days to respond to emails, and in my experience that is exactly how long it takes. Of course, the deal you want could have gone by then, so maybe it is worth the gamble of hanging on the phone for 20 minutes and hoping you eventually get a human at the other end.

It took me a month to get the DD reduced by email, having failed to get through by phone. By then they'd had another of the monthly DDs at a rate that was too high for my usage/existing credit balance.
    I did once change tariff over the phone, and it took immediate effect once I got through.
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 5th Apr 19, 11:09 AM
    • 5,181 Posts
    • 2,591 Thanks
    Consumerist
    . . . Is there anyway to switch to a lower deal as an existing customer without phoning up?
    Originally posted by philng
    In the current downward trend, it might be worth your while to let it sweat until they get round to it. You might get a slightly cheaper deal than you bargained for.
    Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
    • Leear
    • By Leear 5th Apr 19, 2:31 PM
    • 52 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    Leear
    AVRO are OK
    Been with Avro for two years now, almost. I checked prices again today and am still on the best deal. I had high hopes of saving some money after reading about British Gas reducing their prices, but Avro still beat them in the comparison ranks. Ive no need to switch away at the moment while they still offer tariffs which beat all the big players. I don't know how I add a rating, but no issues so I'll go 4 stars.
    Originally posted by danlightbulb
    My second year too with Avro and just did a comparision. Avro could save me an extra £20, by switching to a better Avro deal.

That said, the best British Gas fix is £300 more, so I'm happy to keep reading my metres once a month and save £25 each month
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 5th Apr 19, 2:50 PM
    • 5,181 Posts
    • 2,591 Thanks
    Consumerist
    . . . I don't know how I add a rating, but no issues so I'll go 4 stars.
    Originally posted by danlightbulb
    MSE does a survey of energy supplers every 6 months; that would be the time to rate them (Poor, Ok or Great).
    • wrongplanet
    • By wrongplanet 5th Apr 19, 2:55 PM
    • 61 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    wrongplanet
    MSE does a survey of energy supplers every 6 months; that would be the time to rate them (Poor, Ok or Great).
    Originally posted by Consumerist
    Oh goody - where does one do this?
    • Shenstone
    • By Shenstone 5th Apr 19, 7:34 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Shenstone
    I'm still working on getting away from this shady (IMO) company

I have performed a switch, told them and they said they had stopped their Direct debits and then they then took another DD. I spoke to them again and was told that was an error and would not happen again, and they had information from the new supplier and would be closing the account

Then today I got an email stating they would be taking another, I called and was told that there had been errors made, but they could not stop it and the only way I could stop making another payment would be to stop the DD at my bank (that was their advice)

I've checked back and my final statement was dated March 3rd and they tell me because of the errors I won't be getting the £370 that has built up for at least another 17 working days (7 days for their internal processes and 10 days to allow for banking runs

Given their phone lines are only open during times I am at work they are not an easy company to work with

regards
    Andy
    • Easily confused
    • By Easily confused 6th Apr 19, 9:24 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Easily confused
    Avro Energy
    I've been with Avro for 2 years now and just renewed, effortless logging on, never a problem but found it's cheaper to renew via MSE as the quote comes in cheaper than Avro's own. Never a problem with AVRO upto now and cheaper than most others.
    • wrongplanet
    • By wrongplanet 8th Apr 19, 5:05 PM
    • 61 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    wrongplanet
    Avro new customer ban possible
    Avro have failed to comply with Ofgem's smart meter warning and will be banned from signing up new customers from 26 May unless they do.

Avro argued that the final order was not warranted as it had not sought to avoid compliance and there were “mitigating circumstances”.

Source: https://utilityweek.co.uk/avro-energy-receives-smart-meter-final-order-ofgem/
    Last edited by wrongplanet; 08-04-2019 at 5:42 PM.
    • Chrishazle
    • By Chrishazle 8th Apr 19, 8:34 PM
    • 536 Posts
    • 335 Thanks
    Chrishazle
    Well, as my switch started before the cut-off date, it will be interesting to see if they want to fit a smart meter to me - 3 phase domestic customer! BG tried to install about 2 1/2 years ago, fitter said "i can't touch that, it's 3 phase and I'm not 3 phase qualified - hang on a mo, there's no 3 phase domestic units and even when SMETS2 rolls out there's no word of them then!!".
    • Hawkeye68
    • By Hawkeye68 8th Apr 19, 9:41 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Hawkeye68
    Moved from Avro to Bulb on 25th Jan. Avro took £78 from my account on 2nd Feb even though I was £120 in credit. It received my final meter readings on 10th Feb. I sent an email on 22nd March asking for my money back. It was ignored. Phoned Avro on 5th April it agreed to send me a final statement. It added that it only made payments on a Friday so I would have to wait yet another week for my credit to be returned and it may take up to 10 working days. Needless to say I won't be returning to them or recommending them to anyone.
    • lookahead
    • By lookahead 9th Apr 19, 2:55 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    lookahead
    Switch away problems
    I had no problem switching to Avro Energy but when I tried to switch away they seem to have made up their own rules. They required a confirmation email to confirm the transfer away. They required me to pay up front the small amount in debit on my last bill, despite having an active Direct Debit. They said they hadn't objected to the transfer away on the phone, but their email sent only minutes later from the same person said they had and that I'd have to re-apply to switch away. Shocking, and surely not compliant with the statutory switching process?
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 12th Apr 19, 12:03 PM
    • 5,181 Posts
    • 2,591 Thanks
    Consumerist
    Refunds from Avro - dirty trick
    Watch out for Avro Energy's latest trick to hang on to your refund.

I am currently switching from Avro and have received an email containing the following:-
    If your account is in credit once your final bill is available, then please contact us to confirm that you are happy with the final statement, and we can then process your refund
    If you are not "happy" with the final statement then Avro can delay payment of the refund until the problem is resolved and then they don't have to make automatic compensation payments (due from 01 May) until the problem is resolved.

We know how long Avro can take to do that.

Be warned.
    Last edited by Consumerist; 12-04-2019 at 12:12 PM.
    • DennisTenus
    • By DennisTenus 12th Apr 19, 2:26 PM
    • 391 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    DennisTenus
    Watch out for Avro Energy's latest trick to hang on to your refund.

I am currently switching from Avro and have received an email containing the following:-
    If you are not "happy" with the final statement then Avro can delay payment of the refund until the problem is resolved and then they don't have to make automatic compensation payments (due from 01 May) until the problem is resolved.

We know how long Avro can take to do that.

Be warned.
    Originally posted by Consumerist
    So you have to say you are happy even if you are not?!
    • mr-b
    • By mr-b 12th Apr 19, 4:30 PM
    • 40 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    mr-b
    AE's head of complaints contacted me about the Ombudsman decision, asking whether I wanted to accept that or continue with my previous payment holiday arrangement. Of course the ombudsman remedy was a better option since it gave me a full credit refund immediately. So we'll see how long it takes for their credit BACS "run" ...

Also they said that the £50 was in my account (this was part of the ombudsman's ruling for an apology in writing + £50 as a goodwill gesture). I'm still waiting for the actual apology!
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 12th Apr 19, 4:40 PM
    • 5,181 Posts
    • 2,591 Thanks
    Consumerist
    AE's head of complaints contacted me about the Ombudsman decision, asking whether I wanted to accept that or continue with my previous payment holiday arrangement. Of course the ombudsman remedy was a better option since it gave me a full credit refund immediately. So we'll see how long it takes for their credit BACS "run" ...
    Also they said that the £50 was in my account (this was part of the ombudsman's ruling for an apology in writing + £50 as a goodwill gesture). I'm still waiting for the actual apology!
    Originally posted by mr-b
    Thanks for sharing.

Now would be a good time to work out what your likely consumption will be until the end of your contract so you're armed with the facts when the horse-trading over the direct-debit begins.

Edit
    I think I would accept the additional £50 goodwill payment as an (unwritten) apology.
    Last edited by Consumerist; 12-04-2019 at 4:44 PM.
    • aylesby
    • By aylesby 13th Apr 19, 10:17 AM
    • 432 Posts
    • 177 Thanks
    aylesby
    Strange company this one.
    Six months in I am making the direct debits and sending readings via the web site. My payments show as an ever increasing balance as do my last meter readings but the rest of the website is an estimated algorithm. As it happens I know my usage is as I forecast as I have always keep a detailed spreadsheet.
    The transfer went anonymously well but is there anyone there?
    • coldinstaffordshire
    • By coldinstaffordshire 13th Apr 19, 12:52 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    coldinstaffordshire
    What an unpleasant surprise. I am now a Scottish Power customer since the 8th, and Avro still took my full direct debit on the 10th.

Can't believe they get away with this.

I suppose I am now one of the many waiting to get a refund from a company that doesn't communicate.
    • hawkwind
    • By hawkwind 16th Apr 19, 10:28 AM
    • 222 Posts
    • 72 Thanks
    hawkwind
    Hi, So energy and Zog energy have confirmed that my switch is now complete.
    Can anyone confirm that it is OK to cancel my direct debit with Avro.
    I am £114 in credit and I have used 32.9 units of electricity and 20.4 units of gas since Avros last statement and the first meter readings provided to SOenergy and Zog
    therefore I should have more than enough credit to cover the final statement.
    I don't want another £98 being taken by direct debit again from Avro at the end of the month if I don't have to.
    Thanks.
    • victor2
    • By victor2 16th Apr 19, 10:34 AM
    • 4,916 Posts
    • 3,291 Thanks
    victor2
    I'm going to be in a similar position soon. My transfer out of Avro is underway and I will end up with a small credit balance. I intend to cancel the DD once the new account is underway. My thinking is that Avro take payments up front, so have no right to take a payment after the contract has ended, especially not for an account in credit, but I'd bet they'll try.

We know it's nonsense about them needing the DD in place to refund the balance, they can always send me a cheque if that's their argument. No doubt they'll then say they only process cheques on one day a month, or some other delaying tactic like that.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,528Posts Today

7,208Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin