Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Fraser
    • By MSE Fraser 26th Nov 15, 10:31 AM
    • 30Posts
    • 4Thanks
    MSE Fraser
    Avro Energy reviews: Give your feedback
    • 26th Nov 15, 10:31 AM
    Avro Energy reviews: Give your feedback 26th Nov 15 at 10:31 AM
    This is a feedback thread on energy supplier

Avro Energy

Please share your experience with other MoneySavers. Click reply to take part
    • Did you switch go smoothly?
    • Have you had problems since?
    • Is it easy to contact?
    The feedback comes as part of the

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 07-09-2017 at 4:18 PM.
Page 17
    • cranford
    • By cranford 23rd Jul 18, 6:02 PM
    • 341 Posts
    • 160 Thanks
    cranford
    morltepaworl, Yes the "Bar Charts". I have been with Avro for two years and about a year ago contacted Avro to see if they could sort out the Bar Charts. But they did not see anything was wrong, just stated that they ran on a month by month basis whereas by bills are produced on the 14th. I even added up the bar figures for the year which were way out on my consumption but the person answering my query was clueless. But overall apart from not receiving an email when the bills are ready I cant complain.
    • Mervynj
    • By Mervynj 26th Jul 18, 10:36 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Mervynj
    Switch to Avro from Ovo
    Filled in forms on line, got confirmation emails from both companies. One further email about meter readings and the switch has gone seamlessly. Full marks to both companies.
    Only gripe is that the Ovo smart meters are now pointless and this fact has meant I have delayed switching, so the smart meter has cost me money, not saved. My own fault I know but what a stupid system
    • HonourlessWeasel
    • By HonourlessWeasel 27th Jul 18, 10:22 AM
    • 61 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    HonourlessWeasel
    I switched to Avro last month (from Flow) and have paid two direct debits so far, but from my online account have not been issued with a bill, apparently nothing has been taken off my balance which seems a bit odd considering I have submitted meter readings since switching.

They're a lot quicker at answering email than Flow ever were, and they actually give me an answer unlike Flow. They were able to give me a DD amount to sign up to which Flow couldn't and it's at a lower annual rate than Flow, so I was sold. I like just how simple it is online - that said, it actually seems to give some kind of breakdown, even if what is being said here indicates it's not accurate, Flow's online area had nothing like that, it required you looking at every single bill and getting a calculator out.
    • nosliwoj
    • By nosliwoj 30th Jul 18, 1:46 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    nosliwoj
    I switched to Avro Energy in October last year and was amazed that they only estimated £48 monthly for dual fuel for my flat (2 occupants) despite my giving full information on previous usage and bills. I dutifully posted my meter readings monthly believing they would even out payments as it was approaching winter; then in May I received an email putting my DD up to £144 which I paid for 3 months and need to continue to pay. I was bewildered that having given meter readings and expecting a regular reasonable payment I ended up paying a much larger amount over the Summer and would need to continue over this Winter. There is no way currently to make a payment online and phoning I kept getting told there were at least 33 calls ahead of me each time. I'm now moving to Octopus which guarantees this sort of thing will not happen, is much the same annual pricing, but also has a customer loyalty reward system. I still now have to negotiate the 33+ call waiting queue to pay my last bill as they do not send a final bill; you have to phone up and pay. What a pallaver!!!
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 30th Jul 18, 5:48 PM
    • 4,983 Posts
    • 2,473 Thanks
    Consumerist
    In this situation you may need to be a bit canny if you want to switch.

From earlier posts on here you could finish up in an endless loop of switch rejections because you might owe them money for energy used between the date they tell you how much you owe and the date of the switch. My advice would be to increase your additional payment to cover your likely use up until the switch date allowing for DDs paid during the switching process.

Good luck !
    Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
    • boatman
    • By boatman 31st Jul 18, 9:28 PM
    • 4,104 Posts
    • 2,899 Thanks
    boatman
    Just left Avro, had no problems, but they took an extra direct debit 2 week after they received the final readings, over a month later and still trying to get it back.
    • arjar
    • By arjar 7th Aug 18, 12:31 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    arjar
    Very long phone queue trying to contact Avro yesterday - gave up. Tried again today and received a message saying their system is unavailable because of an upgrade. Any one else having problems? Can't believe they've shut down for an upgrade on a Tuesday. Ominous?
    • TickersPlaysPop
    • By TickersPlaysPop 7th Aug 18, 1:19 PM
    • 721 Posts
    • 347 Thanks
    TickersPlaysPop
    I always look into companies house, it shows directors and what other companies they are involved in.

The director of Avro is 24 years old with a law degree.

This time last year I steered clear from Irresa due to details found on companies house. It seems anybody with the money behind them can start an energy company.

There seems to be no criteria, surely there should be a requirements for certain qualified people (I.T., HR), with facilities?
    Peace.
    • Sapphire
    • By Sapphire 7th Aug 18, 6:10 PM
    • 2,393 Posts
    • 4,561 Thanks
    Sapphire
    I've had similar issues with this company. My tariff runs out in September, which they've notified me about by email. They linked me to an apparent way to renew the tariff online according to the quote supplied, but when I tried to do so on Sunday the 'renew button' didn't work.

I then sent them two emails, which they haven't bothered to reply to, so I phoned them today. After a 15-minute wait on the phone (!), I was put through to someone, who then said that I would have to speak to someone else about a renewal (despite the fact that I used the number given for renewals). They said someone would call me back, but that hasn't happened so far.

That certainly isn't much of an incentive to use this company again.
    Last edited by Sapphire; 07-08-2018 at 7:13 PM.
    • Sapphire
    • By Sapphire 9th Aug 18, 1:01 AM
    • 2,393 Posts
    • 4,561 Thanks
    Sapphire
    I've had similar issues with this company. My tariff runs out in September, which they've notified me about by email. They linked me to an apparent way to renew the tariff online according to the quote supplied, but when I tried to do so on Sunday the 'renew button' didn't work.

I then sent them two emails, which they haven't bothered to reply to, so I phoned them today. After a 15-minute wait on the phone (!), I was put through to someone, who then said that I would have to speak to someone else about a renewal (despite the fact that I used the number given for renewals). They said someone would call me back, but that hasn't happened so far.

That certainly isn't much of an incentive to use this company again.
    Originally posted by Sapphire
    Update: I've received no communication from this company, despite the above. I logged on to the suggested 'renew' page again, just in case, and saw that the amount quoted was now £65 p.m. (not £62, as per the quote on Sunday). This time the 'renew' button did work, so I've renewed the fixed tariff with them, despite my reservations about the company due to the poor customer service. I then received an instant (automatic?) confirmation email stating that the tariff had been rolled over for another year.

I've already been with Avro for a year, and had no problems until these last few days. I did phone them a couple of times last year, and did not experience the problems with communication that I've had over the last few days. They clearly need to do something about their customer services system, since it is very off-putting to experience scenarios such as the above.
    Last edited by Sapphire; 09-08-2018 at 1:04 AM.
    • cranford
    • By cranford 9th Aug 18, 2:14 PM
    • 341 Posts
    • 160 Thanks
    cranford
    Just to confirm that the renewals button was not working when I tried on the 31st July. So I reported the fault and made a renewal request by email on that date. The confirmation came back 7 days later from a renewals dept.
    • bri160356
    • By bri160356 11th Aug 18, 8:08 AM
    • 134 Posts
    • 52 Thanks
    bri160356
    I moved to Avro’s Simple&Supreme tariff last year and my current deal ends on 9th Oct’18.

When it comes to renewal do Avro offer existing customers any sort of preferential tariff, or is it just a case of accepting (or rejecting!) their lowest publicly available tariff?,…which at the moment would be ‘Simple&Summertime’.

In essence, are they open to tariff negotiation or do they have a ‘take it or leave it policy’?

Until a few days ago a swop to their cheapest Simple&Glory tariff would have meant a 5.97% annual increase for me,….so not too bad.

However, the Simple&Glory tariff has now been replaced with Simple&Summertime which will be an 11.7% increase for me,…ouch!
    • victor2
    • By victor2 11th Aug 18, 8:44 AM
    • 4,807 Posts
    • 3,208 Thanks
    victor2
    I moved to Avro!!!8217;s Simple&Supreme tariff last year and my current deal ends on 9th Oct!!!8217;18.

When it comes to renewal do Avro offer existing customers any sort of preferential tariff, or is it just a case of accepting (or rejecting!) their lowest publicly available tariff?,!!!8230;which at the moment would be !!!8216;Simple&Summertime!!!8217;.

In essence, are they open to tariff negotiation or do they have a !!!8216;take it or leave it policy!!!8217;?

Until a few days ago a swop to their cheapest Simple&Glory tariff would have meant a 5.97% annual increase for me,!!!8230;.so not too bad.

However, the Simple&Glory tariff has now been replaced with Simple&Summertime which will be an 11.7% increase for me,!!!8230;ouch!
    Originally posted by bri160356
    In my experience, they do not offer "preferential" tariffs to existing customers. But you can switch to another tariff with them before your current one ends, if it makes financial sense to do so, without any sort of penalty and the new rate will run for 12 months from the day you switch. I haven't tried, but I don't believe you can arrange in advance to switch to a new tariff taking effect from when the current one ends for 12 months.
    • Sapphire
    • By Sapphire 11th Aug 18, 4:36 PM
    • 2,393 Posts
    • 4,561 Thanks
    Sapphire
    I haven't tried, but I don't believe you can arrange in advance to switch to a new tariff taking effect from when the current one ends for 12 months.
    Originally posted by victor2
    My new tariff will apparently come into effect from when the current one ends in September, according to the confirmation I've been sent.
    • bri160356
    • By bri160356 12th Aug 18, 8:39 AM
    • 134 Posts
    • 52 Thanks
    bri160356
    My new tariff will apparently come into effect from when the current one ends in September, according to the confirmation I've been sent.
    Originally posted by Sapphire
    If you don’t mind me asking which tariff are you on at the moment and which renewal tariff have Avro offered you?

My present tariff ‘Simple&Supreme’ ends on 9th October and a move to ‘Simple&Summertime’ will mean a hefty 11.7% increase for me;…as it stands there are 2 cheaper alternative companies/tariffs out there at the moment but unfortunately both still mean a substantial price increase.

I’ve no doubt Avro will introduce their new Simple&DaylightRobbery tariff at some point soon so I may need to jump-ship before my present deal ends.
    • bri160356
    • By bri160356 14th Aug 18, 7:08 PM
    • 134 Posts
    • 52 Thanks
    bri160356
    Avro have now just replaced their very short lived Simple&Summertime tariff with the even more expensive Simple&Summerfix;

…the ‘Renew Tariff’ button on their website for existing customers doesn’t appear to be working either.

They're probably already working on an increase to Simple&Summerfix.
    • bri160356
    • By bri160356 15th Aug 18, 9:11 AM
    • 134 Posts
    • 52 Thanks
    bri160356
    AVRO really are taking the p*** out of their existing customers at the moment;…existing customers have no online functionality whatsoever when it comes to switching to a new Avro tariff.

The ‘Renew Tariff’ button has been disabled and they have posted this message “ If you are an existing Avro Energy customer and are looking to renew your contract or change your tariff, please get in touch via Contact Us

Contact us by phone, email, or post they say! (don’t all laugh at once).

New customers can immediately access (and select) the latest tariffs online if they wish;…existing customers can’t.
    • cranford
    • By cranford 15th Aug 18, 9:13 AM
    • 341 Posts
    • 160 Thanks
    cranford
    The next Avro tariff may be a 11.7% increase for you but for me a switch the lowest tariff for one of the big six would be a 17% increase.
    But I have just renewed by email for mid September as the renewal button did not work and Avro was still the best deal for me although some of the other small companies did match my new tariff.
    • admars
    • By admars 16th Aug 18, 10:15 AM
    • 11 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    admars
    i emailed the other day for a renew quote, how long did it take them to get back to you?

when I switched to them from BG there was a problem, but Avro's support team always got back to me quickly, it was a problem at British Gas' end, but Avro were v helpful.
    • DennisTenus
    • By DennisTenus 16th Aug 18, 3:22 PM
    • 323 Posts
    • 40 Thanks
    DennisTenus
    Was thinking of moving to Avro.... would people recommend them ?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,149Posts Today

7,050Users online

Martin's Twitter