Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Fraser
    • By MSE Fraser 26th Nov 15, 10:31 AM
    • 30Posts
    • 4Thanks
    MSE Fraser
    Avro Energy reviews: Give your feedback
    • 26th Nov 15, 10:31 AM
    Avro Energy reviews: Give your feedback 26th Nov 15 at 10:31 AM
    This is a feedback thread on energy supplier

Avro Energy

Please share your experience with other MoneySavers. Click reply to take part
    • Did you switch go smoothly?
    • Have you had problems since?
    • Is it easy to contact?
    The feedback comes as part of the

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply.
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 07-09-2017 at 4:18 PM.
Page 15
    • rpb
    • By rpb 19th Apr 18, 1:18 PM
    • 123 Posts
    • 127 Thanks
    rpb
    I'm in a similar boat to many earlier forum members, it seems. I've been trying to leave Avro and they are blocking my switch because, they say, my account is in debit. I pay by d/d so they can collect what they want but they aren't doing that. I tried to call them up today and the phone message sais *all* of their phones are down *all* day due to system maintenance, and suggested trying again tomorrow! Absolutely hopeless, and they are crooks for blocking my switch to a cheaper supplier.
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 19th Apr 18, 2:52 PM
    • 4,887 Posts
    • 2,406 Thanks
    Consumerist
    I'm in a similar boat to many earlier forum members, it seems. I've been trying to leave Avro and they are blocking my switch because, they say, my account is in debit. I pay by d/d so they can collect what they want but they aren't doing that. I tried to call them up today and the phone message sais *all* of their phones are down *all* day due to system maintenance, and suggested trying again tomorrow! Absolutely hopeless, and they are crooks for blocking my switch to a cheaper supplier.
    Originally posted by rpb
    If your switch has been blocked due to alleged debt then Avro must notify you in writing of the amount involved and what you should do to correct the matter. This normally involves paying the debt within 30 days whereupon they must allow the switch.

I would suggest you keep records of any loss that may be incurred if the switch is delayed and seek compensation from Avro through a formal complaint.
    Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
    • kt
    • By kt 26th Apr 18, 3:47 PM
    • 48 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    kt
    My dual fuel Avro Tariff was due to expire on 15/03/18. Early February I approached Tonik to switch to their dual fuel which they duly agreed to do. It was then that the problems started. Firstly Avro would not give permission for the change without an email from me which I gave. This put the switch forwards to 19th March. Thinking this had all gone through we paid the direct debit to Tonik for a dual fuel only for Avro to say that they were still holding the gas supply. Having spoken to Tonik and in fact the person that dealt with the transaction she said she had requested both gas and energy. Tonik have now had to give me a refund for the gas and I then heard from Avro that the supply would transfer over on 25th April. I am absolutely disgusted with their time wasting. Unlike other customers we are in credit of over £250. Whilst a bill was due from Avro on 16th March we have still not received one. I wonder if we will ever get our money back. Appalled - don't use them.
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always recieve lots
    • Paula52
    • By Paula52 29th Apr 18, 3:05 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Paula52
    Have now been with them for 1 year, decided to stay with them for another year, emailed their renewals on 9th April to ask them to switch me to a new tariff (simple and flow), they replied and asked for my up to date meter readings so they could give me an accurate quote on the new tariff, fair enough, they sent me a quote based on estimated readings from 29th March, I emailed back with more up to date readings and asked them to give me an accurate quote as my tariff ends on 28th April, have not heard from them as yet but they have now 're fixed me on a different tariff that is much higher than the one I had requested, am about to email them for the fourth time, tried ringing but can't get below 20 in the queue.
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 1st May 18, 4:34 PM
    • 4,887 Posts
    • 2,406 Thanks
    Consumerist
    . . . but they have now 're fixed me on a different tariff that is much higher than the one I had requested, am about to email them for the fourth time, tried ringing but can't get below 20 in the queue.
    Originally posted by Paula52
    If you have a written record of the tariff you applied for then you could start their complaints procedure to get their attention.
    • Auntie Sceb
    • By Auntie Sceb 8th May 18, 5:50 PM
    • 157 Posts
    • 1,210 Thanks
    Auntie Sceb
    Maybe cheap but that is because they hold your money in credit and dob't process quickly when you leave so gains interest in their account not yours.

Avro don't like you to give monthly readings they prefer 3 monthly so they can hold your money as long as possible if you are in credit. You can request a balance but this takes time and if you are in credit it takes a long time to get money back. Because of this I switched supplier.

I gave final meter readings on 29/1/18. I am still waiting despite numerous emails for nearly £130. I didn't cancel my direct debit as you are advised not to so it is easier to get money owing back so they took an additional payment. I know they have up to 8 weeks to process but this has gone over this.
    • George Wilson
    • By George Wilson 8th May 18, 7:52 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    George Wilson
    I'm not impressed
    I am trying to switch from Avro Energy and was informed by my new supplier that Avro would not let me as I was in debit with them. I sent an email saying that as I pay monthly by direct debit they could take the money from the Bank. No response. A few days later I rang the Support (?) line and was told that there would be a 20 minute wait before someone answered my call.
    My next step was to send an email and ask that someone ring me and to sort out the debit. I had an email saying that I owed £47. I tried ringing them again but was told the Support line was closed. So today I rang them again. I was told that there would be a 20 minute wait - which actually turned out to be 35 minutes - and the to my surprise I was informed that the amount I owed was £125!!!
    Do not touch this company with a barge pole.
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 8th May 18, 8:06 PM
    • 4,887 Posts
    • 2,406 Thanks
    Consumerist
    Maybe cheap but that is because they hold your money in credit and dob't process quickly when you leave so gains interest in their account not yours. . .
    Originally posted by Auntie Sceb
    I have only recently signed up with Avro Energy so I don't know how much of my money they will hold by the end of the contract or for how long but I tend to take a more pragmatic approach to delays in repayment of credit balances.

If Avro Energy can supply my energy at £100 pa cheaper than other suppliers without me being tied in by exit fees then, as far as I am concerned, they can hold on to that £100 for a few months after I have moved on. Had I gone to a more expensive supplier, I would never see that £100 ever again since it would have been spent already on the more expensive fuel supplied.

I know it must be irritating but, in the long run, you will be better off.because they will have to repay the money owed eventually.
    • Greenmarble007
    • By Greenmarble007 9th May 18, 12:19 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Greenmarble007
    Based on the recommendation of the Cheap Energy Club over the past week I made several attempts to sign up with Avro energy but their online system didn't recognise my bank sort code as valid. I sent an email with a screen grab of the error message to which they said

Our system sometimes doesn!!!8217;t agree with the IOS format.

You can sign up over the phone, if you wish to call us our phone number is 0330 088 5754 or we can call you, please state your phone number and a preferable time to call

I'm not impressed with this reply as I don't want to sign up over the phone so will be looking elsewhere. Reading posts regarding issues with leaving this company perhaps I have had a lucky escape!
    • kendizle
    • By kendizle 11th May 18, 8:38 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    kendizle
    Hook you in with a cheap price, then hike the tariff
    I switched the Avro in the past 2 weeks. Gave my energy usage and signed up based on the quote given on their site. A week later I get an email saying they dont believe my gas usage figures and therefore will be putting me onto a higher tariff. My house is one year old I told them and the energy consumption figures I have give you are my actually usage figures and I take a manual reading every month.

They have given me 2 weeks to send them my final bill showing my consumption, despite the fact that they know it can take more than 6-8 weeks to get this information. They even say this on their website.

My argument is they hooked me in with a cheap price based on my actual figures, then want to charge me more. Very misleading and possibly an example of miss-selling.

I guess I will be taking advantage of the no exit fees and moving immediately to one of the other competitors.
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 11th May 18, 9:01 PM
    • 4,887 Posts
    • 2,406 Thanks
    Consumerist
    . . . A week later I get an email saying they dont believe my gas usage figures and therefore will be putting me onto a higher tariff. . ..
    Originally posted by kendizle
    Are you sure they have changed your tariff or have they just increased your Direct Debit ?
    • Dobbibill
    • By Dobbibill 13th May 18, 7:31 AM
    • 3,309 Posts
    • 4,231 Thanks
    Dobbibill
    Just completed my switch to Avro.

So far all has gone well and they requested my opening readings.

What I did like was that once my switch was initiated, I was able to log in online to see how the switch was going as it has a timeline of events that the switch process goes through.

Seamless and smooth - very happy so far.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Energy, Student Money Saving, UK Armed Forces and
    Local Money Saving - Wales boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

It's not about being the best -
    It's about being better than you were yesterday.
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 13th May 18, 12:15 PM
    • 4,887 Posts
    • 2,406 Thanks
    Consumerist
    Just completed my switch to Avro.

So far all has gone well and they requested my opening readings.

What I did like was that once my switch was initiated, I was able to log in online to see how the switch was going as it has a timeline of events that the switch process goes through.

Seamless and smooth - very happy so far.
    Originally posted by Dobbibill
    I would suggest that you send Avro a snapshot(s) of your opening/closing meter readings. This may help head off any problems from the validation company rejecting them.
    • Dobbibill
    • By Dobbibill 13th May 18, 2:34 PM
    • 3,309 Posts
    • 4,231 Thanks
    Dobbibill
    I would suggest that you send Avro a snapshot(s) of your opening/closing meter readings. This may help head off any problems from the validation company rejecting them.
    Originally posted by Consumerist
    They are welcome to have them - I take weekly pics of my meters and submit readings.
    Local Money Saving - Wales boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

• kendizle
    • By kendizle 14th May 18, 5:29 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    kendizle
    Avoid like the plague. Input details and they refused to believe my gas usage figures were so low, yet happily accepted my higher than average electricity usage figures. Gave me 2 weeks to provide a final bill as proof, despite stating themselves that it takes 6-8 weeks to get your final bill. Wanted me to go on a higher than advertised tariff, to which I obviously refused. They cancelled my switch.

On a positive note I have now switched to Outfox The Market, who dont apply a standing charge, so I'm now saving an extra £100!!!
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 14th May 18, 5:49 PM
    • 4,887 Posts
    • 2,406 Thanks
    Consumerist
    . . . On a positive note I have now switched to Outfox The Market, who dont apply a standing charge, so I'm now saving an extra £100!!!
    Originally posted by kendizle
    Although there is no standing charge, as such, they do charge a "membership fee" which varies according to your usage. Since you can't be too sure of what next year's usage might be, it seemed a bit risky to me. I'll need to think that one through before going with them.
    • sccmillhouse
    • By sccmillhouse 16th May 18, 10:47 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    sccmillhouse
    I've just switched plans from Simple and Value to the MSE flagged Simple and Premium. So I had to wait 15 mins (27 in queue) to get through but no hardship - call waiting system is clear and accurate. Switch took two mins on the phone. Compared to IRESA who I also had the misfortune to try a couple of years ago this company is doing a decent job on customer service. So they're very busy - I wonder why. I remain a happy customer along with 93% of voters on MSE Cheap Energy Club so either you're timing your calls wrong or have got massively high expectations of a small energy biller. As for smart meters, I have one but it's no problem looking at the reader box once a month and emailing in. Some peoples expectations are unbelievable. Who do they think will pay for enough CS agents to reduce the waiting time?
    • Dobbibill
    • By Dobbibill 16th May 18, 11:18 AM
    • 3,309 Posts
    • 4,231 Thanks
    Dobbibill
    Although there is no standing charge, as such, they do charge a "membership fee" which varies according to your usage. Since you can't be too sure of what next year's usage might be, it seemed a bit risky to me. I'll need to think that one through before going with them.
    Originally posted by Consumerist
    I agree, the membership fee is just a replacement for a standing charge. This wouldn't work for me as I'm a high user so the membership fee worked out at £13.99 a month

• Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 16th May 18, 11:49 AM
    • 4,887 Posts
    • 2,406 Thanks
    Consumerist
    . . . Who do they think will pay for enough CS agents to reduce the waiting time?
    Originally posted by sccmillhouse
    Hi sccmillhouse and welcome to the forum.

Good point.

I've recently signed up with Avro and I don't expect more than a no-frills service when I'm paying no-frills prices for my energy.

I compare it to the likes of 1899.com for telephone services. It's CS is very basic but efficient for the most part and calls are very cheap compared to BT.
    • Lifes Grand Plan
    • By Lifes Grand Plan 17th May 18, 2:40 PM
    • 1,022 Posts
    • 989 Thanks
    Lifes Grand Plan
    Surprised to see all the positive feedback on here. Just switched to Avro and got the "supply now live" type e-mail asking me for meter readings. Followed the link and got "Sorry an Error Occurred.
    Sorry, something has gone wrong. Our team has been notified and will try to correct the problem. Please try again later."

Have tried contacting them by phone, Facebook and Twitter and getting no response on any options. Have now e-mailed them but not holding my breath.

You only need to look on their Twitter / Facebook to see their last response (Twitter is March) or the constant "Our phone lines are closed today for training messages" which are numerous. Going to switch straight back out.
    A big believer in karma, you get what you give

If you find my posts useful, "pay it forward" and help someone else out, that's how places like MSE can be so successful.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,839Posts Today

7,969Users online

Martin's Twitter