Avro Energy reviews: Give your feedback

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    Tom_Scott wrote: »
    I had no problems when I switched and did indeed get cheap electricity. My fixed term ended and I switched away from Avro in September. The switch date was 21st September.

Avro took the direct debit on 1st October and have advised me the final bill can take up to 8 weeks (WEEKS!).

I have not encountered this time delay before. Is this normal?

Based on the final reading they owe me £125.

Dare I say if my account was not in credit the final bill would come much faster...
    :mad:

Under the terms of their Licence, and EU Law, suppliers have up to 6 weeks to prepare your final bill from the date of the actual transfer of supply. Credit repayment can take up to a month depending on internal authorisation procedures. In truth, it takes about 5 to 10 days after transfer for the two suppliers to get verified transfer meter readings. Once received, the losing supplier will generate a final bill. It is better to say 8 weeks and deliver earlier. It stops consumers phoning in asking for progress reports. All CS calls cost suppliers time/money.
  • For me too early to say as I only started the switch about a month ago and the supply was switched 2 days after the collective ended.
    Still waiting for the promised Welcome Pack so don't know if this is important or not.
    Bobblehat wrote: »
    My "Welcome pack" came within minutes of finishing the phone call to AVRO to request the switch to them. It arrived by email as a PDF attachment.
    I think the term ‘Welcome Pack’ is a something of a misnomer;…it’s just a 4-page personalized document that arrives as an attachment in an email titled ‘Welcome To Avro Energy’. I got mine very quickly after I applied to Avro, as per ‘bobblehat’.

Not sure if they send a paper copy in the post as well;…I haven’t received a paper copy,…don’t really need one tbh.
  • Ooops, sorry Avro and thanks all. I missed the attachment.
    Named after my cat, picture coming shortly
  • poppellerant
    poppellerant Posts: 1,932
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Is anybody else experiencing problems when trying to access Avro's webpage using Firefox? When I try and visit https://www.avroenergy.co.uk/ I get the following message:
    Secure Connection Failed

An error occurred during a connection to https://www.avroenergy.co.uk. Invalid OCSP signing certificate in OCSP response. Error code: SEC_ERROR_OCSP_INVALID_SIGNING_CERT

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.
    Please contact the web site owners to inform them of this problem.
  • alanwsg
    alanwsg Posts: 763
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Is anybody else experiencing problems when trying to access Avro's webpage using Firefox? When I try and visit https://www.avroenergy.co.uk/ I get the following message:

Yes, I get the same thing with Firefox.
    Chrome works fine.
  • joe134
    joe134 Posts: 3,336 Forumite
    Reading these reviews, awaiting a callback from my current supplier, Scottish Power, now, 1.5 hours waiting, they seem pretty good.
    Avro reckon I could save £165, from Sp, for similar tariff, one year fixed, and no penalty.
    Been so long with Sp,and no problems, might just take the plunge?
    Two things are not clear.
    A lot on here seem to be a lot in credit, as I am always owing Sp, just broke even from summer, nearly £300 in debit?
    Obviously, Avro need monthly readings via e mail, do they accept them via phone if pc brakes down?
    Long time since switching, just don,t want another load of hassle !
    My current tariff ends end of November.
    If I decide to change, how long does it usually take to switch, I am under 50 days to fruition with sp?:beer::beer:
  • Bobblehat
    Bobblehat Posts: 467
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Best Buy Bear
    Forumite
    Hi Joe

I had a conversation with AVRO about them needing monthly readings as I am in the process of going from BG to AVRO. Basically, it's not mandatory, but they recommend it to stop you going too far in credit or debit. I am used to BG estimating my yearly usage and setting a fixed(?) DD for the year. I pointed out to AVRO that they will be setting the DD based on a yearly usage figure which can be confirmed by BG so I stated I was happy the credit/debit situation varied throughout the year, if it didn't mean I had to religiously take meter readings every month. I'm happy to do it every quarter.

I decided to take the plunge as a long suffering (I was going to say long standing) customer of BG and initiated the switch to AVRO on 27/09/17, The account set-up email came while I was still on the phone to AVRO and the "Welcome pack" email came minutes after the call ended. I was given two dates in the email, the first DD would come out on 18/10/17 and the switch would occur on 27/10/17.

A few things to note (sorry if other forum members have read this from me before) ....

AVRO do take the first DD in advance of the switch .... it's unusual, but it's just what they do!

AVRO are not part of the Warm Home Discount Scheme so factor this in if you are/were eligible for it under SP.

AVRO take just one DD for Duel Fuel .... BG took one for each fuel (for me, others may differ) which was handy for bonuses on some current accounts.

I have been impressed by AVRO so far in terms of their website, communications and phone line.
  • joe134
    edited 17 October 2017 at 7:08AM
    Hi Joe

I had a conversation with AVRO about them needing monthly readings as I am in the process of going from BG to AVRO. Basically, it's not mandatory, but they recommend it to stop you going too far in credit or debit. I am used to BG estimating my yearly usage and setting a fixed(?) DD for the year. I pointed out to AVRO that they will be setting the DD based on a yearly usage figure which can be confirmed by BG so I stated I was happy the credit/debit situation varied throughout the year, if it didn't mean I had to religiously take meter readings every month. I'm happy to do it every quarter.

I decided to take the plunge as a long suffering (I was going to say long standing) customer of BG and initiated the switch to AVRO on 27/09/17, The account set-up email came while I was still on the phone to AVRO and the "Welcome pack" email came minutes after the call ended. I was given two dates in the email, the first DD would come out on 18/10/17 and the switch would occur on 27/10/17.

A few things to note (sorry if other forum members have read this from me before) ....

AVRO do take the first DD in advance of the switch .... it's unusual, but it's just what they do!

AVRO are not part of the Warm Home Discount Scheme so factor this in if you are/were eligible for it under SP.

AVRO take just one DD for Duel Fuel .... BG took one for each fuel (for me, others may differ) which was handy for bonuses on some current accounts.

I have been impressed by AVRO so far in terms of their website, communications and phone line.
    hi B, thanks for reply.
    As I don,t like changing, except bank a/cs:):) after waiting 2 hours for a callback and then another 15 mins on hold from Scottish Power yesterday, I was told, take it or move!
    I am glad your switch went well, some on here haven,t, but that happens everywhere?
    I
    With me, if it can go wrong, it will:)
    If the reading you give is accurate, as mine is, I read every month and send toSp anyway, how does one accrue so much credit, I am always in debt?
    Can the dd not be changed intermittently?
    I have just one dd for dual fuel from my san123 a/c, so ok there.
    No penalty for switching.
    As my tariff ends 30th nov, might just take the plunge.
    £165 is not to be. Sniffed at.
    it,s monthly reading I was concerned about, wife’s not pc minded, and if anything happened to me, she wouldn’t, be able to do it, unless it was via phone, then she,s expert:)
    I suppose Avro tarrifs change as often as others, so will have to act soon, or it may be pulled.
    Do they use existing dd? And bank

Ps, did you instigate switch via phone, or comparison site, or, msi
    Which is best?
  • Bobblehat
    Bobblehat Posts: 467
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Best Buy Bear
    Forumite
    Joe, my switch is ongoing ... as the dates above show, but everything seems fine so far.

I have made 3 calls to AVRO, 1 before I switched to clear up a couple of queries about the switch, 1 to switch and 1 to inquire about lowering my DD. The calls were answered in a reasonable time with a rolling down announcement on how long you have to wait ... none of the 3 were more than 5 minutes wait. I'm on a phone tariff that is "free" for 03(30) calls.

The "lowering the DD" call was because I had slightly overestimated my usage figures when doing the comparisons using CEC and once I had dragged out of BG what my actual usage was for last year, I called AVRO to see if it was possible to recalculate my future DD's based on the more accurate (lower) figure. They were very accommodating and lowered the DD by £5pm ... obviously I was happy as it represented a bigger saving over the one I had seen on CEC.

What I would say about your concerns over meter readings is phone them up and ask about when/how you can submit readings, they seem to speak plainly with no hint of being evasive, a refreshing change from some other businesses I could name!

As far as I can tell, the DD is initially set from what usage figures you tell them (and will be confirmed by AVRO during the switch process from info given by the losing supplier), and in my case the DD was adjusted when a more accurate usage figure became available .... this all happened before the first DD is due. You should expect that your DD with AVRO is lower than your DD with SP, otherwise why would you switch :huh: .... and you can use any of your current bank accounts you want when AVRO set up the DD.

I've obviously not yet had experience of how frequently AVRO would want to change the DD, but my philosophy on this is that I like a fixed DD for a year, to help budgeting, and realise that my credit/debit situation in any month/quarter will vary throughout the year. As long as the credit/debit figures don't go mad at any point (and why should they if your usage figures were estimated reasonably), and if at the end of the year I have a small debit/credit, then no problem to me. I would put this point of view to AVRO if they requested a change to my DD which only tinkered with the ongoing credit/debit situation.

The tariff I chose was a 1 year fixed tariff with no exit fee ... fixed for a year AND fixed prices per kWh, so that will help stop wild swings in the DD. If AVRO bring in a new cheaper tariff during the 12 months, I asked if you can switch to it and they said "of course you can" ........ the only downside is that you may have to keep an eye on their tariff changes as I don't think they go out of their way to broadcast new tariffs! If any new tariff is higher than the one I am on, I'd just stay on the one I am on! Win, win!

Hope that helps answer your questions.
  • joe134
    Joe, my switch is ongoing ... as the dates above show, but everything seems fine so far.

I have made 3 calls to AVRO, 1 before I switched to clear up a couple of queries about the switch, 1 to switch and 1 to inquire about lowering my DD. The calls were answered in a reasonable time with a rolling down announcement on how long you have to wait ... none of the 3 were more than 5 minutes wait. I'm on a phone tariff that is "free" for 03(30) calls.

The "lowering the DD" call was because I had slightly overestimated my usage figures when doing the comparisons using CEC and once I had dragged out of BG what my actual usage was for last year, I called AVRO to see if it was possible to recalculate my future DD's based on the more accurate (lower) figure. They were very accommodating and lowered the DD by £5pm ... obviously I was happy as it represented a bigger saving over the one I had seen on CEC.

What I would say about your concerns over meter readings is phone them up and ask about when/how you can submit readings, they seem to speak plainly with no hint of being evasive, a refreshing change from some other businesses I could name!

As far as I can tell, the DD is initially set from what usage figures you tell them (and will be confirmed by AVRO during the switch process from info given by the losing supplier), and in my case the DD was adjusted when a more accurate usage figure became available .... this all happened before the first DD is due. You should expect that your DD with AVRO is lower than your DD with SP, otherwise why would you switch :huh: .... and you can use any of your current bank accounts you want when AVRO set up the DD.

I've obviously not yet had experience of how frequently AVRO would want to change the DD, but my philosophy on this is that I like a fixed DD for a year, to help budgeting, and realise that my credit/debit situation in any month/quarter will vary throughout the year. As long as the credit/debit figures don't go mad at any point (and why should they if your usage figures were estimated reasonably), and if at the end of the year I have a small debit/credit, then no problem to me. I would put this point of view to AVRO if they requested a change to my DD which only tinkered with the ongoing credit/debit situation.

The tariff I chose was a 1 year fixed tariff with no exit fee ... fixed for a year AND fixed prices per kWh, so that will help stop wild swings in the DD. If AVRO bring in a new cheaper tariff during the 12 months, I asked if you can switch to it and they said "of course you can" ........ the only downside is that you may have to keep an eye on their tariff changes as I don't think they go out of their way to broadcast new tariffs! If any new tariff is higher than the one I am on, I'd just stay on the one I am on! Win, win!

Hope that helps answer your questions.
    Thanks B, very good reply.
    Really appreciate it.
    Will start the ball rolling now.:beer:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills