Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Fraser
    • By MSE Fraser 26th Nov 15, 10:31 AM
    • 30Posts
    • 4Thanks
    MSE Fraser
    Avro Energy reviews: Give your feedback
    • 26th Nov 15, 10:31 AM
    Avro Energy reviews: Give your feedback 26th Nov 15 at 10:31 AM
    This is a feedback thread on energy supplier

Avro Energy

Please share your experience with other MoneySavers. Click reply to take part
    • Did you switch go smoothly?
    • Have you had problems since?
    • Is it easy to contact?
    The feedback comes as part of the

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 07-09-2017 at 4:18 PM.
Page 13
    • Laura.L
    • By Laura.L 8th Feb 18, 11:59 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Laura.L
    I’m leaving Avro, they are useless, in credit £70 plus which they are refusing to refund despite my low usage...
    They ask for meter readings to get an actual bill produced then just produce an estimate anyway?!? So frustrating! They don’t offer a dual fuel discount either...
    • abaines
    • By abaines 8th Feb 18, 6:27 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    abaines
    hi can someone help me am with avro was paying a set amount for my supply then received a email saying they were more than doubling my DDbecause they havent received my meter readings can they do this ive tried logging in but cant tried ringing them but its a long wait to talk to someone
    • cranford
    • By cranford 8th Feb 18, 8:16 PM
    • 232 Posts
    • 111 Thanks
    cranford
    abaines, if you cant log on because you have forgotten your password then you can reset it on the logon screen but this assumes that you know your logon id.
    You can always post or email your readings to them if you cant get through on the phone but it sounds like you really need to speak to somebody on the phone.

support@avroenergy.co.uk for readings
    Last edited by cranford; 08-02-2018 at 8:21 PM.
    • Bilbo123
    • By Bilbo123 14th Feb 18, 9:53 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Bilbo123
    My experience with Avro Energy has been terrible and I suspect that more negative publicity is going to come out now that their "sweetheart" deals launched a year ago come to an end.

In my case, they increase their prices by over 30% and then made such trouble when I wanted to switch away. They said I owed them money (totally untrue) and then threatened to "force entry" into my home to "disconnect your electricity supply". I have never been treated like this by any company and regret the day I even heard of Avro Energy.

The company is run by a kid in his 20s and the last accounts posted show a liability, so they are actually trading whilst insolvent. No wonder they are using such tactics to keep customers.

Awful, awful company.
    Last edited by Bilbo123; 14-02-2018 at 9:54 AM. Reason: mistake
    • cranford
    • By cranford 14th Feb 18, 3:28 PM
    • 232 Posts
    • 111 Thanks
    cranford
    Dont know where you get your accounts from but the last filed accounts show a net value of £397k in 2016.
    • PeteDrag
    • By PeteDrag 15th Feb 18, 12:48 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    PeteDrag
    I saw the negative accounts too. They must have just filed new accounts. They are obviously making money after suckering loads of customers like me in. Their customer service is woe so they are clearly not spending any of their profits on that. Switching away from Avro Energy is an ordeal and a half and guess the good experiences of them on here have not yet included switching away. I suspect the negative stories will start coming out when customers realise that the company has sucked them in with low prices, increased them and then make it almost impossible to leave.

I had to get OFGEM involved. Says it all, really.
    • PeteDrag
    • By PeteDrag 15th Feb 18, 12:56 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    PeteDrag
    Just an addendum to this. I look at accounts on a daily basis and whilst the balance sheet of around £400k looks impressive at first glance, you have to see how it was made. They show money (debtors due) in (presumaby from customers) of nearly £6million but they show money owed as nearly £7million. That means a £1milion negative position. Then there is the mysterious £2.5million cash in the bank. Yet there is no link to that in the previous year's accounts which would lead me to believe that there has been a cash injection from somewhere (possibly investors thinking the company could grow and make an un-aided profit) and that money would have to be repaid at some point in the future.

The fact that a utility company would file unaudited accounts (not certified by an account) makes me worry greatly. How much does it cost to audit accounts for a company turning over £millions - very fishy. The fact that their customer service is still so awful (typical wait times of 20+ minutes, then not a nice person at the other end) indicates to me that they have been 'told' not to spend money.
    • Natalie299
    • By Natalie299 17th Feb 18, 4:57 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Natalie299
    Avoid this company at all cost. I switched to Avro after them offering me a much more competitive rare. I entered my meter reading every month as requested and was told I was in credit every month on my statement. However after a year of being with Avro, I decided to ring up to renew my yearly energy. Whilst on this call they informed me that there had been an error with all of my meter readings and instead of contacting me to query this they decided to estimate it instead.( this had been going on for 11 months). This has now lead to me having a 250 pound bill. Avro's complaint team has been horrific with very little help or attempts to help resolve an error. The staff from the compliant department were very rude. In my opinion don't use them, worse company we have ever used.
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 17th Feb 18, 5:28 PM
    • 5,907 Posts
    • 3,640 Thanks
    Hengus
    Just an addendum to this. I look at accounts on a daily basis and whilst the balance sheet of around £400k looks impressive at first glance, you have to see how it was made. They show money (debtors due) in (presumaby from customers) of nearly £6million but they show money owed as nearly £7million. That means a £1milion negative position. Then there is the mysterious £2.5million cash in the bank. Yet there is no link to that in the previous year's accounts which would lead me to believe that there has been a cash injection from somewhere (possibly investors thinking the company could grow and make an un-aided profit) and that money would have to be repaid at some point in the future.

The fact that a utility company would file unaudited accounts (not certified by an account) makes me worry greatly. How much does it cost to audit accounts for a company turning over £millions - very fishy. The fact that their customer service is still so awful (typical wait times of 20+ minutes, then not a nice person at the other end) indicates to me that they have been 'told' not to spend money.
    Originally posted by PeteDrag
    Too many of the new suppliers are little more than a person with a laptop. Ofgem makes it very clear that it does not endorse any Licence Holder as being a ‘fit and person’ nor does it carry out any due diligence/business checks. If I recall, GBEnergy made a sound start then went for rapid growth and failed with over 150k customers; 18 staff and owing £25M. As you know, Coop Energy took over the business but still ended up with a payment from the Consumer Levy (that is, us) of over £10M. Ofgem seems to think that granting a Supply Licence with a correctly filled in application form and £400 makes sense. It would seem, from recent media posts, that the Head of Citizens Advice disagrees. She quite rightly points out that it is consumers who have to deal with the fallout from a supplier that is clearly out of its depth.
    • Summernights
    • By Summernights 24th Feb 18, 2:01 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Summernights
    Avro Energy
    Switched to Avro in August 2017 to their Simple and Value Tariff, from Co-Op energy. Found their website very good, easy to manoeuvre around. Get monthly prompts from them when readings are due, and prompt statements are issued on my account. They were very helpful to me when Co-op would not issue me with my final statement of account.
    • Nuend0
    • By Nuend0 5th Mar 18, 12:18 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Nuend0
    Ignored meter reads
    Moved to Avro September 2017.
    The switch went without trouble but even when entering meter reads each month, every statement had a ludicrously high estimate shown.
    Eventually got 3 months worth of statements manually adjusted by them, but by this time outfixthemarket had a significantly cheaper deal, so as there were no exit fees, I jumped.
    The switch went smoothly again until the final statement was generated.
    I'd submitted a reading to Avro and outfoxthemarket at the same time for the switch, which Avro took absolutely no notice of, and added an additional 1400+ units to their estimated final "reading".
    Outfoxthemarket already had this "reading" in dispute with Avro when I contacted them for further advice, and on contacting Avro I was initially told that this reading had come from the new supplier!
    Personally doubt I'd go with Avro again because of the insanely innacurate billing.

**EDIT TO ADD MORE INFO**
    The insanely high final statement meant they were looking for an additional £70 odd to settle, but by my calculations, I should have been around £90 in credit!
    Reading the rest of the comments not holding much hope of this being an easy process of extracting my credit from them, but did at least cancel my DD as soon as I saw the ridiculous final statement.
    Last edited by Nuend0; 05-03-2018 at 12:27 PM.
    • NickHo
    • By NickHo 5th Mar 18, 5:01 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    NickHo
    Avro Energy safe?
    Joined Avro in late October 2017 via info from the MSE Cheap energy club. All plain sailing and really good website for meter readings and viewing statements, email reminders etc. I'm very happy so far. I was though just a bit concerned after reading an article in the Times money section published on Sat 3/3/18 pp55 & 65 warning about switching to smaller cheap energy suppliers especially those who charge in advance as Avro do in case they are underfunded and not robust enough to withstand wholesale price hikes. The article advises to check them out with Companies House so effectively do a due diligence. Will they go pop like Carillion or Toys are us? I don't want to return to the big six, but is the Times just scaring us or could say Avro go under and leave us migrated somewhere else by the regulator?
    • holiday_pie
    • By holiday_pie 7th Mar 18, 2:14 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    holiday_pie
    Signed up with Anvro Energy in January 2017.

The switchover process from British Gas went smoothly. I found the monthly fixed tariff amounts high but paid regardless, as this was a change of property.

Moved away from Anvro at the end of the January 2018. I am £200+ in credit and still awaiting payment. I have chased a few times and the last email (22nd February) stated it would take up to 10 days to be returned. Suspect, I will be chasing again and raising a complaint this time.

Holding onto monies in this way has left a bad impression of Anvro and would not consider them again in the future. Based on some other the past comments, they may not be around either.
    • samop
    • By samop 11th Mar 18, 4:54 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    samop
    First year and I'm happy..
    I'm coming to the end of my first year with Avro and I have no complaints or concerns at all.

According the the Cheap Energy club comparison site if I change to their "Simple and control" tariff I would save £91 a year on my existing deal so I'm going to call them tomorrow...
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 11th Mar 18, 5:06 PM
    • 5,907 Posts
    • 3,640 Thanks
    Hengus
    I'm coming to the end of my first year with Avro and I have no complaints or concerns at all.

According the the Cheap Energy club comparison site if I change to their "Simple and control" tariff I would save £91 a year on my existing deal so I'm going to call them tomorrow...
    Originally posted by samop
    Hi - if you are on a fixed tariff then ignore any savings as they are based on Ofgem’s inflated 12 month cost methodology. Use MSE CEC’s ‘this is what you have paid for 12 months on this tariff’ compared to ‘this is what you will pay on these tariffs for the next 12 months’.
    • Boeingboy
    • By Boeingboy 12th Mar 18, 7:44 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Boeingboy
    I have had the worst experience with these clowns. They have not responded to any complaints. They threatened my family with cut off for someone elses bill who no longer resided at the address we moved into. Almost no customer service. It's a one man show, small start up by greedy inexperienced 20yr old!! Few staff. Do not expect help or any service and the ENERGY OMBUDSMAN has fined them in our case and the LETTER OF APOLOGY has still to arrive from the failing company. AVOID!!!!
    • Redked
    • By Redked 14th Mar 18, 2:56 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Redked
    Have given up with these
    Had tried to switch to these based on the Cheap Energy Club's comparison. So glad I didn't go ahead after reading this thread.

I applied to switch to Avro. First they emailed after 5 days saying I had an incorrect entry on the electric database and had to contact Ovo (current supplier) to get this changed. This was due to me being on a smart meter and apparently Avro do not recognise these? Did this the same day and let Avro know. Didn't hear anything back. After a week I tried calling them; was on hold for 10 minutes so emailed instead. Got a reply about 2 days later saying the switch could go ahead if Ovo changed the entry by 09/03/18. I assumed they would check this - they didn't. Emailed again on 09/03/18 and they said that Ovo had updated the database but I now had to re apply as they had closed my account and cancelled the switch because of the delay!

Not even bothering. Can't get through by phone, takes ages to answer an email and then they cancelled the switch without letting me know. I did everything they asked, straight away and had no control over being listed incorrectly on the electric database so I shall be looking for somewhere with at least half decent customer service now.
    • paulh2008
    • By paulh2008 24th Mar 18, 9:06 AM
    • 16 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    paulh2008
    Best energy company I've ever dealt with
    Been with them 12 months now and both joining and tariff switching has been trouble-free. The only thing you have to be aware of is that to switch to a cheaper tariff (which I've done three times) you have to email them. If you try and do it online you end up with two accounts and two direct debits. But even when I did that in error correcting it was very quick and easy.
    • paulh2008
    • By paulh2008 24th Mar 18, 9:09 AM
    • 16 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    paulh2008
    Hardly Avro's fault
    You can't blame Avro. Blame the Government for problems with smart meters, they left individual companies to come up with their own systems and surprise surprise most are incompatible with each other. And a company is not allowed to take over an account until the national database has been corrected, you will have to take up with them why changing a few characters on a database takes weeks.
    • Redked
    • By Redked 24th Mar 18, 10:13 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Redked
    Avro blameless?
    I blame both Ovo and Avro for the smart meter delay. However my complaint was about Avro's total lack of communication whilst this was going on and the fact that even after I had emailed them at every point throughout the problems (think I sent 5 emails and actually got 1 reply) they just cancelled the switch without letting me know. If the switch is delayed because of the smart meter issues why not just extend the time it takes to do this? If they can't extend the switch time to allow for errors, at the very least, they should let the customer know. Glad I didn't get to switch because my opinion of them now is based on their customer service, which has nothing to do with the smart meter. I also tried getting through by phone to sort this out but after 15 minutes on hold I went the email route. No replies to emails, can't get through by phone; I think Avro are to blame for that.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

55Posts Today

2,780Users online

Martin's Twitter