Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Fraser
    • By MSE Fraser 26th Nov 15, 10:31 AM
    • 30Posts
    • 4Thanks
    MSE Fraser
    Avro Energy reviews: Give your feedback
    • 26th Nov 15, 10:31 AM
    Avro Energy reviews: Give your feedback 26th Nov 15 at 10:31 AM
    This is a feedback thread on energy supplier

Avro Energy

Please share your experience with other MoneySavers. Click reply to take part
    • Did you switch go smoothly?
    • Have you had problems since?
    • Is it easy to contact?
    The feedback comes as part of the

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply.
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 07-09-2017 at 4:18 PM.
Page 12
    • BEJAM2018
    • By BEJAM2018 10th Jan 18, 9:18 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    BEJAM2018
    Recommend Avro - easy switch - easy website to use, prices seem very low on current tariff and hoping they will stay that way (18.9 standing charge per day, 12.385p/kwh electric, 2.888p/kwh gas)
    • Laurent
    • By Laurent 11th Jan 18, 9:14 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    Laurent
    Switched to AVRO end March 2017 via price comparison on ML MSE Energy Club. Overall 9 out of 10 from me. This is what happened:

- Double checked on AVRO website using annual KWh figures; all results matched.
    - Everything happened within a few days of what was promised.
    - Although they take first payment in advance, this was fine, although I can understand why some consumers might feel uncomfortable as this is a change from what we've all been use to. However, it CLEARLY warns you about this before you switch. But remember - they are cheap and YOU chose to change to them.
    - Slight discrepancy in ONE meter reading used to start billing. No big deal, reported and fixed within 1 month.
    - Refunds received from Sainsbury's (BG) in good time.
    - Then the strange event others have reported in here; £10 cheque in compensation from BG in approx. Aug because BG seem to think they have made a mistake. Whatever, banked quickly! Also then had a small extra refund from BG direct into Bank Account even though my maths didn't think anything was amiss.
    - Everything fine into winter 2017.
    - Checked market in Nov 2017 and realized that I could save £2 a month by changing within AVRO. So I did, and switched to cheaper tariff for bulk of winter. Note: new 12 month contract at this point BUT no exit fees regardless.
    - No problems at all.
    - Their phones are occasionally busy, but that's to be expected because they are cheap and popular and NO EXIT FEES! But I've only called them 3 times in 10 months.

That's the story. Mathematically, I think that their month ahead billing has left me about 1 month overpaid in credit, but I'd rather be 1 month ahead than owe them at the end. In any event if I need to change in the future the next lot might be the same so I'll be use to it by then.
    Don't be a fool, stay out of debt.
    Use a cashback CC and screw the industry, I do.
    • slpj
    • By slpj 16th Jan 18, 9:18 AM
    • 51 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    slpj
    Hi everybody.

I'm considering a switch to Avro too.

I have one question regarding SMART METERS.

My current supplier, keeps contacting me in order to get me to have smart meters installed. I don't want smart meters, and as far as I know, it is not yet compulsory to have them.

But I suspect that the big suppliers may start making smart meters a condition of supply.

So my question is to those who have been with AVRO for some time.

Have you or are you, being continually contacted by Avro or their representative, about making an apoitment to install smart meters?

Thanks in advance.
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 16th Jan 18, 9:29 AM
    • 5,937 Posts
    • 3,657 Thanks
    Hengus
    Hi everybody.

My current supplier, keeps contacting me in order to get me to have smart meters installed. I don't want smart meters, and as far as I know, it is not yet compulsory to have them.

But I suspect that the big suppliers may start making smart meters a condition of supply.

Have you or are you, being continually contacted by Avro or their representative, about making an apoitment to install smart meters?

Thanks in advance.
    Originally posted by slpj

Condition of supply - No. Smart meter only tariffs - Yes. As far as smart meters are concerned, we can all expect to be badgered by our suppliers. They face massive fines if they do not meet their smart meter fitting targets.
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 16th Jan 18, 9:56 AM
    • 4,136 Posts
    • 1,671 Thanks
    footyguy
    Hi everybody.

Thanks in advance.
    What brings you to that conclusion?
    Even if correct, why do you think it will only be the big suppliers?

If you want to stop your supplier repeatedly contacting you about something you have no interest in, tell them

Good luck!
    • sandrar
    • By sandrar 16th Jan 18, 5:03 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    sandrar
    hello all . im new to this so bear with me please . i have been with avro since June 2016 and had no problems with them until before xmas then i had a email telling me i was 510 pounds in debt to them i cant believe they left it until it was this amount. so i emailed them for a break down all i got was you owe us 510 pound and that they were going to be taking 198 pound from my bank on the next payment date , i got in touch to tell them it wouldn't be there as im on a low income , no reply so i rang to see if i could sort it they didn't want to try and help me ,they took 20 pound off the 198 pound i said is that it and they said yes i said well im cancelling my dd until this is sorted , anyway in my opinion they were not helpful after i was upfront with them , so not impressed with there customer service at all .
    • slpj
    • By slpj 16th Jan 18, 8:37 PM
    • 51 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    slpj
    Smart meter question
    .Hi all, my question was,

"Have you or are you, being continually contacted by Avro or their representative, about making an apoitment to install smart meters?"

Thanks.
    • Micron
    • By Micron 16th Jan 18, 11:11 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    Micron
    .Hi all, my question was,

"Have you or are you, being continually contacted by Avro or their representative, about making an apoitment to install smart meters?"

Thanks.
    I have been with Avro for about 18 months now and they have never contacted me about having a smart meter installed.

Avro works well for me, every month Avro takes my direct debit, I send them my meter readings, they deduct from my account what I owe them and send me a statement, in some of the summer months I am in credit, in some of the winter months I am in debt, to date I have no complaints about their service.
    Last edited by Micron; 16-01-2018 at 11:14 PM.
    • slpj
    • By slpj 17th Jan 18, 8:08 AM
    • 51 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    slpj
    Thanks Micron.

Just what I wanted to knows.
    • admars
    • By admars 17th Jan 18, 8:48 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    admars
    When I asked Avro about Smart Meters they said they are waiting for the newer ones which will work across any supplier, unlike the current ones which are supllier specific.
    • cranford
    • By cranford 17th Jan 18, 7:01 PM
    • 233 Posts
    • 111 Thanks
    cranford
    Sandra, did you not enter actual readings every month and check the bills? Or have you just left it to estimated bills until actual readings were taken by AVRO. No one can help/ sympathise with you on the details you have provided and equally no one can blame AVRO For all we know a DD payment of £178 may only just be covering your usage and paying off the arrears over a reasonable amount of time.
    • noodle_30
    • By noodle_30 18th Jan 18, 4:27 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    noodle_30
    I have just today switched to Avro Energy. My current supplier is Npower who have said they will start charging me £60 starting from 21st February 2018. Should I call Npower asap to let them know to terminate my account? I don't really want to be charged twice and have to go through the rigmarole of trying to get money back and pay double. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 18th Jan 18, 5:37 PM
    • 5,937 Posts
    • 3,657 Thanks
    Hengus
    I have just today switched to Avro Energy. My current supplier is Npower who have said they will start charging me £60 starting from 21st February 2018. Should I call Npower asap to let them know to terminate my account? I don't really want to be charged twice and have to go through the rigmarole of trying to get money back and pay double. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    Originally posted by noodle_30
    Welcome to the forum. DO NOTHING. Your new supplier is required to manage all aspects of your transfer of supply. It will notify NPower via industry procedures that a transfer is in progress. Once this notification has been received then NPower is required to keep you on your present tariff until the transfer goes through. The gaining supplier will ask you for meter readings. These meter readings are verified by an industry partner and then passed back to both suppliers to open and close your accounts. The losing supplier has 6 weeks from the date of the actual transfer to raise your Final Bill.

You may end up paying both suppliers. This is a fact of life when it comes to energy transfers. You will get all your money back via your Final Bill.
    Last edited by Hengus; 18-01-2018 at 5:40 PM.
    • ic
    • By ic 18th Jan 18, 5:44 PM
    • 2,591 Posts
    • 1,329 Thanks
    ic
    I've been with Avro for about 9 months now. The switch was fine. I spotted a current tariff is slightly cheaper than the one I'm on, so applied for it via their website over the weekend. They emailed me on the Monday to see I'd entered a different email address, so linked the accounts and updated me on to the new tariff - which I think is great.

My only gripe would be that they have short opening hours - they can't be reached at weekends or evenings, not that I've had to call them!
    * my posts are made in good faith and only represent my own opinion, experience or understanding of a situation.
    • admars
    • By admars 19th Jan 18, 12:09 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    admars
    I didn't realise you could change tariff on their site, I thought it was too basic for that!, thanks, I'll give that a go.
    • telonexpert
    • By telonexpert 20th Jan 18, 1:04 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    telonexpert
    You need a financial buffer
    Been with them for a year, then switched to the latest cheapest supplier. Essentially there was nothing negative to report, other than that they were quick to take the first payment (before switch-over), and slow to stop taking payments and to make the final refund. All in all it was still a good deal, the website straightforward to use.
    • fabia
    • By fabia 25th Jan 18, 3:21 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    fabia
    Switching Tariffs
    Switched to Avro 12 months ago without any problems.

If you see a cheaper tariff being offered by Avro to new customers they alow you to swich on to that new tariff.

When you switch on to the new tariff you start a new 12months contract.

I have switched my tariff with Avro twice now within 12 months which has moved my end of tariff date to after the summer of 2018.
    • worcestercat
    • By worcestercat 27th Jan 18, 11:33 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    worcestercat
    No issues at all
    Good company. Although I have switched away simply due to getting a better deal elsewhere, Avro's customer service has been great. Everything has been simple. Would highly recommend.
    • parsimonious-mummy
    • By parsimonious-mummy 5th Feb 18, 1:09 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    parsimonious-mummy
    Avro, not good :(
    Finding it very hard to leave them.....my transfer has been blocked and as usual cannot get hold of them on the phone. Caller number 17, waiting time 23 minutes....and that didn't change for 5 minutes at which time I have up.
    They also don't seem to like answering emails, I have been waiting for a response for 3 days!
    • badger09
    • By badger09 5th Feb 18, 4:39 PM
    • 6,005 Posts
    • 5,363 Thanks
    badger09
    Update from me

Switched both Gas & Electricity from EDF on 30th November. Avro & EDF have taken DDs as expected 20th October & 20th November.

Final bill received from EDF 15th December and refund credited yesterday.

Final bill for gas agrees my reading; bill for electricity is estimated because I entered an extra digit in my reading Entirely my fault, and estimate is within a couple of units of the correct figure.

Next hurdle will be to submit correct readings for 1st bill and make sure Avro start with same figures as EDF ended with.
    Originally posted by badger09
    Update

29/1/18 email from Avro asking me to submit meter readings within 3 days.
    30/1/18 meter readings submitted

Nothing further from them so I've just checked online and for my gas & electricity bill dated 30/1/18 both opening figures agree with EDF's closing, so far so good.

BUT although they've used my reading for gas, they've used an estimated figure, higher than my reading, for electricity.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,233Posts Today

8,766Users online

Martin's Twitter