Time to grow up.

Comments

• Kitten868
    Kitten868 Posts: 1,785 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Credit card is closed?! Wow! Well for you. I think it's too hard paying off an overdraft. I would open a shiny new account and treat it like a credit card. New account can be for spending, old account for direct debits and whatever you can manage to stick in there on top. It can be with the same bank so it's easy peasy to send money across.
    Don't reduce your overdraft in bits - it affects your credit rating. Xxx
    Loan 1 £5200/£8000
    Loan 2 £300/£5800
    Total £5500/£13800
  • Megano
    Megano Posts: 324 Forumite
    Kitten868 wrote: »
    Credit card is closed?! Wow! Well for you.
    Don't reduce your overdraft in bits - it affects your credit rating. Xxx

The CC balance is at 0 but I read somewhere you should still keep it open and use it to be like something and then pay it off at the end of the month and that improves your credit score.
    Im working out I should be able to pay £250 per month towards the overdraft. Do you think its best to make one reduction a month or should I just save up and clear off the whole lot?
    Virgin Money £0/£1445
    TSB £0/£659.53
    BOM £0/£1480
    Tesco £8.36/£4647.26
    Total £8.36/£8231.79 0.101%
  • Kitten868
    I know it's best to buy something on the credit card each month and pay it off. For example bus passes, just make it one thing that you know how much it'll come to. But I'm not there yet and I don't think you are either. So by all means leave it open but I wouldn't touch it until you are totally happy with how much everything costs and how to budget.
    I wouldn't reduce your limit at all. I would just close it when it's done. I never realised when I was reducing my credit card limits it was affecting my credit rating as it looks on there like the creditor has done it to punish you rather than that you have done it. Iyswim.
    Would my idea before work for you?? X
    Loan 1 £5200/£8000
    Loan 2 £300/£5800
    Total £5500/£13800
  • Megano
    Kitten868 wrote: »
    I know it's best to buy something on the credit card each month and pay it off. For example bus passes, just make it one thing that you know how much it'll come to. But I'm not there yet and I don't think you are either. So by all means leave it open but I wouldn't touch it until you are totally happy with how much everything costs and how to budget.
    I wouldn't reduce your limit at all. I would just close it when it's done. I never realised when I was reducing my credit card limits it was affecting my credit rating as it looks on there like the creditor has done it to punish you rather than that you have done it. Iyswim.
    Would my idea before work for you?? X

In terms of the CC Im just going to leave it well alone and carry cash on me otherwise I know I'll be back with a brand new figure chasing to clear that off so CC its been fun but prepare to see the darkness of a drawer (apart from once a month and even then under £50 is the goal. I said to OH we might as well use it for grocery shopping and then clear it off once a month.

In terms of the OD Its so confusing as Ive read a million different things - some folk say save up and pay it all off at once *in which case I'll still be paying the interest *
    -Snowball says pay it off in installments but doesn't tell me if that will affect my credit card rating
    -Others are telling me regular and often repayments while others are saying save up and pay a lump sum off each month.
    Debt busting use to be so easy when it was a case of you owe this, pay this by this date.
    This idea might work! -So Im going to use my "odds and ends" (O+E) savings accounts to round my accounts down and then once a month (most likely on payday) use that money to make a payment to the overdraft instead of doing £10 here or £20 there. Once a month be like BANG there you go TSB there is £250 or £300.
    Is so weird how so many people can have different suggestions on which is the best way forward its like that maths question where the question was 3x5 = the little boy said 5+5+5= 15 and the teacher marked him wrong saying he should have worked it out like 3+3+3+3+3=15 but they both gave the exact same answer!

I have having a look at my bank statement and last month alone I spent £37 odd in taxis :eek::eek::eek: - god knows how much I spent "picking up something from the canteen!" - Im too afraid to count/ look/think about it so Ive decided every time I use the debit card Im going to write down the amount. I have a funny feeling alot of impulse spends are going to stop.
    FINALLY the plusnet payment on TCB has been confirmed so I now have £50 waiting to be cashed into my O+E account. S.W. OH and he agreed I should keep everything since Im the TCB queen

Today at work we are doing pizza (through TCB of course :P) for my dad as today would have been his 64th birthday. Its really nice they are willing to mark the day with me but Im kinda not wanting a big fuss made, Ive done all my grieving and now I just want to celebrate well him.

In other news I find out in 5 weeks if Ive been made permanent at W2 - so excited since OH has been giving a TL job at SQA (the scottish exam board) he's kindof given me the heads up that he'll need the computer ALOT more so he's kindly asked me to take a holiday from W2 to save us going to have to buy a laptop which means we can both work.

(When he first asked me, my inner Emily Davidson screamed "I dont need NO MAN to ME when I should go on holiday from MY work, but then my MSE voice appeared and said do you really want to go buy a laptop so you can do work for two weeks of the year? while OH is on the computer? W2 pay package wont even pay for the laptop!) :rotfl::A:rotfl::A:rotfl::A:rotfl:
    Virgin Money £0/£1445
    TSB £0/£659.53
    BOM £0/£1480
    Tesco £8.36/£4647.26
  • Kitten868
    Don't know if you care you put your name in that post?

Anyway. I just treat it as another credit card. Any payment I can make 6p, £20 whatever goes in. I don't know if you pay a flat rate of a £ a day or interest but it'll be charged daily so stick it straight in - no hanging about :)
    Great news on all the cashback. All mine is going to pay out over the next couple of weeks... Ones just 15p but I'm excited! I am that sad.
    One gone, one to go :) xxx
    Loan 1 £5200/£8000
    Loan 2 £300/£5800
    Total £5500/£13800
  • Kitten868 wrote: »
    Don't know if you care you put your name in that post?

If you mean Emily Davison, I suspect its not the OP's name (unless I'm taking it out of context):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emily_Davison

Keep going - you're doing well.
  • Kitten868
    And I was a history student. How embarrassing!
    Loan 1 £5200/£8000
    Loan 2 £300/£5800
    Total £5500/£13800
  • Megano
    1st of March already and like clock work on the 1st of the month the HMRC direct debit has been taken, its might only be £15 but its chipping away the balance nicely.
    I had my W2 scorecard through and its just slightly off target meaning again Im on the 2nd picking rota which means I get the left over shifts because Im off target I EXPECT my probation will be extended come April but that's honestly a guess.
    Anyhoo Im still on track to get bonus from W1 come April I just need to be REALLY nice to my customers and promote the NPS text message. The higher my score the higher my bonus will be. Right now Im on track for getting £250 before tax which will Im sure Mr Overdraft will love.
    BB is talking about the London trip and I want to go, but in my heart of hearts I dont know how I can justify travelling all the way to London, do touristy things when Im still clearing off my overdraft (trust me pre LBM this would not have been an issue) and I dont want to ask the BOM so Im thinking of "selling" my ticket (air quotes needed as Ive not accutally paid for them yet BB did)
    Virgin Money £0/£1445
    TSB £0/£659.53
    BOM £0/£1480
    Tesco £8.36/£4647.26
  • Megano
    So Ive been riding the moral dilemma train all day in terms of the MUSE concert in April.
    My adulting MSE side is like "You know Megano its not just the cost of getting down there that's the problem. Your wanting do touristy things, the cost of food, the hotel all for a band you don't REALLY know there stuff that well (like everyone knows the absolution album but that was made 10 years ago!, Ive not even heard there latest album) plus you set this target of getting debt free, your wanting to save up for your forever home so if the "A" does happen or FLP goes in your care your giving him a stablish up-bring also it will mean time off both jobs and you might be in a probation extension at W2 AND your taking FLP away from Easter"
    and Im like your right MSE voice your right but then I get the devil on my shoulder who's like
    "Well OH still goes to football matches and boxing training so clearly he's not letting his debts stop him from having fun, plus FLP future isnt your responsibility. F**k it let your hair down, live a little ! All you do is work, work work work!" and Im like well Ive never been to London and I would really like to go and that's been my day so far going backwards and forwards over something that shouldn't matter.
    Its just OH job he gets to go on school trips every year so he's been going to London for the past couple of years going to West End shows, doing the London eye (infact he's going tonight for a few days) and its not as if Im asking to get a private island with my own butler I just want to go to the UK capital. There is trains leaving daily at Glasgow Central! OH was like "if you want to go then we'll need to tighten our belts and Im like........seriously? Any tighter and I'll be making my own candles to keep electric bill down" :mad::rotfl::mad::rotfl::mad:
    TCB payout came through today and I had a few pound in the O+E jar meaning I was able to pay £70 towards the overdraft :j:j:j
    I asked the adviser if I should only make 1 payment a month and she said they only send the report once a month so to pay as little or as often as I would like.
    I also took the chance to remove the "control" *saving £10 per month* on my account which stopped me incurring any charges for returned direct debits, standing orders. A little bit nervous because it was like a safety blanket but the guy said I hadnt went overdrawn since November and Im like MATE its only day 2 of March :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    Next stop phone Santander to get my account to a basic everyday account, since I don't have any savings (yet) its kinda pointless having the 123 account as I only get something like £5 cashback and the account fee is £5
    Kinda had another LBM moment there is no point with me training with the beast if Im going to drink my body weight in fizzy juice and eat sweets all day at work so Im going to start riding my bike *which has been at works car park since October last year :p:o:rotfl::p:o:rotfl:* and taking either spring water or diluting juice with me. I need to get my own "hobbies" other than watching crap TV in my underwear. I might take up running its something Ive been saying for aggges and the best thing is its free.
    Just found out there is a Peppa Pig live :shocked::shocked: and FLP is Peppa Pig daft so I might look into getting him tickets. Can't I'm potentially passing up the opportunity to see MUSE but I'll happily take a 2 year old to see someone in a pig costume - joys of being an aunt.
    Virgin Money £0/£1445
    TSB £0/£659.53
    BOM £0/£1480
    Tesco £8.36/£4647.26
  • Kitten868
    Don't go to peppa pig live - he's too young :) he'll get over excited and over tired. Like you can't take them to the pictures yet.

I think you should go to muse. Just get the absolute most out of the whole experience. Don't spend the day in the hotel oversleeping :) plan out the full day.
    The credit card is gone. We are into overdraft territory! Aim to get under £1800?
    Yay to bike riding and squash! Going to be a sexy mama! X
    Loan 1 £5200/£8000
    Loan 2 £300/£5800
    Total £5500/£13800
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business