Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 17th Nov 15, 12:02 PM
    • 9,306Posts
    • 22,165Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    Who's ever won a holiday? Where to?!
    • 17th Nov 15, 12:02 PM
    Who's ever won a holiday? Where to?! 17th Nov 15 at 12:02 PM
    We've just been discussing holiday comps at MSE Towers and saying perhaps we should focus on those so we don't have to buy a holiday next year!

Have you won a holiday?

If you have we'd love to know where to and how much the prize package was worth!

Related MSE Guides:

40+ Comping tricks
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 19-07-2016 at 1:00 PM.
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Page 8
    • Stevev99
    • By Stevev99 10th Jul 18, 1:24 PM
    • 155 Posts
    • 247 Thanks
    Stevev99
    Crikey there are some big holiday winners on here! I actually wonder how much effort everybody puts in on the comping?
    I'm very much a part timer on comping, I only enter free to enter comps online during the evenings when I have time and avoid facebook and never buy goods from supermarkets etc. to enter.

But even with this fairly minimal effort managed to win a 10 day Australia holiday this year (which we extended to 15 days) and just been told I won a week's boating holiday up to the value of 2500 with Tesco.
    I did win a Disneyland Paris holiday many years ago which was amazing with first class travel and all the competition winners had private access to one of the parks for 3 hours in the evening with food and drink which was amazing!
    • lyddyb53
    • By lyddyb53 10th Jul 18, 1:54 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    lyddyb53
    I won a week's holiday for 2 in Costa Rica with Capital FM last year, including flights, B&B at 5* Marriott Hotel, transfers and travel insurance - worth around 4k

The year before, I won 3 nights in Barcelona for 2 (again with Capital FM) including flights, B&B at a 4* hotel, 250 spending money, a tour of Barcelona, a helicopter ride, transfers and travel insurance - worth around 2k
    • dave1961
    • By dave1961 10th Jul 18, 2:35 PM
    • 373 Posts
    • 35,513 Thanks
    dave1961
    Back in February, I won a week in Florida, to see the Daytona 500, next February, can't wait ! Holiday prize fund 5000, so after flights and hotel, should have 2000 to spend.
    Then 3 weeks later I won a Cornish holidays voucher, so off to Cornwall for 3 nights in October, it's been a good year !
    *****Debt Free Since 2008*****
    The Best Feeling in the world
    Best Wins of 2018 Trip to Florida 250 Cornish Holiday cottage voucher 2 nights in Scotland 50 ARROWORD 2 Nights in Torquay
    • I Love comps
    • By I Love comps 10th Jul 18, 4:36 PM
    • 1,259 Posts
    • 5,231 Thanks
    I Love comps
    I have only had one holiday win. Which was a holiday worth 3,000 with Thomas Cook. Won in late 2013 and I booked for Cyprus and went in August 2014, had a posh room with all the extras, All inclusive so lovely food and drinks. Treated like a VIP all week . Even better I was celebrating a special birthday that year.
    I'm a Board Guide on all of the Shopping Boards. "I am a volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly.
    Any views are my own and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board Guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • amsquared
    • By amsquared 19th Jul 18, 10:05 AM
    • 1,890 Posts
    • 34,479 Thanks
    amsquared
    won a few over the years
    My first holiday prize was to Hawaii in 1996, followed by Toronto, Thailand twice, Costa Del Sol, Cyprus and Dubai. A Glamping holiday in the Lake District and some weekend breaks in London, Gleneagles and Glasgow! But nothing for the last couple of years.
    Best Comp wins in last 25 years. Holidays - Hawaii, Toronto, Thailand twice, Dubai twice, Cyprus, Spain, Lake District, Glasgow and London. A couple of 1000 wins as vouchers. Variety of small prizes ranging from Cosmetics to weedkiller!
    • crescent25
    • By crescent25 21st Jul 18, 5:03 PM
    • 325 Posts
    • 8,727 Thanks
    crescent25
    I won a trip (3 nights I think?) to Valencia, Spain (to the Tennis Open) which I tallied up to be worth around 800. It was lovely, but unfortunately the friend I decided to take was an absolutely nightmare!! I would have enjoyed it more if I'd have gone on my own...

Just remembered I also won a cottage break too. But I was flying out to Australia to study for a year so couldn't take it. Luckily, the lovely company let my parents go instead!
    Last edited by crescent25; 21-07-2018 at 5:05 PM. Reason: Adding additional holiday
    Back comping again after a long break and too much studying!

Best Win - Two Night City Break to Valencia and a Hisense TV
    • tolly16
    • By tolly16 21st Jul 18, 5:33 PM
    • 104 Posts
    • 1,045 Thanks
    tolly16
    Hawaii for 5 nights worth around 4000, long long way to go se we paid for an additional 5 nights.
    • grannybiker
    • By grannybiker 22nd Jul 18, 1:58 PM
    • 10,927 Posts
    • 1,035,503 Thanks
    grannybiker
    My first ever holiday was a Spa break at Cliveden in their poshest suite. Later followed a Centreparcs break which they allowed us to take at half term with the adored ones.
    Have also won a couple of UK short breaks (2 nights.)

I guess the biggest would be the 5 day trip to LA with ITV back when they still did free online entry. We stayed in the Loews hotel right behind the Walk of Fame in Hollywood and fondly imagined we could stroll to the beach before we researched, LOL!

The week long trip to Flanders run by Visit Flanders certainly did the trick as far as raising brand awareness goes. We enjoyed it so much we returned the next summer, albeit a much cheaper hotel and using Tesco Clubcard points for the ferry!

When we won a trip to Paris, (Eurostar, then met travel guide who took us around during the stay,) we were worried we may find it overhyped and be disappointed. Definitely not the case and we need to return as we didn't visit Notre Dame. (We opted instead to wander round the photographic exhibition commemorating WW1 at the Luxembourg Palace as it was temporary, outdoors and glorious May sunshine

Finally, the trip to the Azores came at just the right time as I'd been having some medical treatment that left me feeling pretty low. Was a truly beautiful place that's still relatively inspoilt.

Sounds a lot, but have been comping for about 10 years now.
    Last edited by grannybiker; 22-07-2018 at 2:39 PM.
    Worse things will have happened in the world today...
    "The only thing that really matters, it to love and to be loved."
    • Carriecakes
    • By Carriecakes 22nd Jul 18, 3:26 PM
    • 205 Posts
    • 815 Thanks
    Carriecakes
    In september going to Hollywood with my husband on a trip I won with West Ho! and some hairdressing salon lol. I keep forgetting the name! But the prize is flights, staying at The London in Los Angeles, spending money and all our grub sorted. The only thing we've paid out for tis hiring a cheap runaround for the few days because the trip from LAX to the hotel alone is a biggun!

And I also just won an all expenses trip to Berlin with the Times, worth over 2000, again with flights, transport to n from the airport, staying at 5 star Zoo hotel, 250 spending money, & dinner and drinks at the Television Tower that revolves!

And lastly just won a 500 Holiday voucher that my daughter won with a drawing of her dream tree-house, that has paid for our holiday for next year. Without comping, my family wouldn't be able to go to half the places we go to, as I am a full time unpaid carer for my Mum. My husband works full time but money is tight as a gnats chuff, so comping makes life so much more exciting! Loads of luck to everyone. xxx
    Ipad 3, Holiday to Barcelona, Holiday to St. Ives, Holiday for 6 to Newquay, Lumix Camera, 1000, 42" LG T.V...I love to Comp! Wishing Everyone Here Massively Good Luck!
    • alexanelenia
    • By alexanelenia 26th Jul 18, 8:07 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    alexanelenia
    Amazing holiday
    one week stay in Miami with the charter catamaran the Caribbean. It was an amazing and a wonderful trip of my life with Yachtoo yacht rentals. The biggest data base of yachts, largest online yacht booking platform!
    • By 1972 26th Jul 18, 10:48 AM
    • 881 Posts
    • 1,536 Thanks
    Lovely to see so many wins on here.

In 2007 I won a family holiday to Sydney Australia which included flights, apartment in Sydney, hotel in the win region, car hire, bike hire, surfing, wildlife park entrance and climbing the Sydney Harbour Bridge.

We went at Christmas and it was worth around 9000.

This holiday was so appreciated as we had to cancel a family holiday as my 6 year old daughter came down with Chickenpox on the day we were due to fly to Majorca. I remember sitting comping and entering the Australian holiday and said to myself "If I can't go on holiday today, I will win one!". I forgot about it and about a month later, I got the winning call!

In 2009, on the day I showed a friend my photo book of our Australia holiday and said I would never win anything like that again, I got home to receive a phonecall from ITV.

I had won a family holiday to Florida! It included flights, 7 nights in the Hard Rock Hotel and entrance to Universal Studios.

We had been looking at going to Florida, but kept putting it off. We were able to extend the holiday and paid to stay at Disney and bought Disney tickets.

I have won a couple of weekends away, but nothing as big as the holidays.

I guess I have had all my luck on that!

All of you who have won, have they all been from competitions you have found on here?

I have not one any prize at all since January - I better get comping!
    2018 Prize Total - 100/1 Prize
    2017 Prize Total - 250/2 Prizes
    2016 Prize Total - 650/3 Prizes
    2015 Prize Total - 250/5 Prizes
    2014 Prize Total - 625/10 Prizes
    2013 Prize Total - 430/5 Prizes
    • MSE Nick R
    • By MSE Nick R 26th Jul 18, 11:46 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    MSE Nick R
    Would you like to speak to MSE about your 'comping' successes?
    Hi everyone,

Here at MoneySavingExpert we're preparing to place a note in our next weekly 'Money Tips' email dedicated to big 'comping' winners.

Would anyone on the forum who has won big on holidays, gadgets etc be happy to speak to us about their experiences? Any tips and tricks you've discovered?

We would be especially keen to speak to folks who've won large numbers of holidays.

If you'd be happy to have a quick chat over the phone, could you could drop me an email with your phone number and brief details of your winnings to:

nick.renaudkomiya@moneysavingexpert.com

Many thanks!

MSE Nick R
    • badskindollheart
    • By badskindollheart 28th Jul 18, 8:26 PM
    • 217 Posts
    • 305 Thanks
    badskindollheart
    I won a four day trip to San Diego, with Comic Con tickets from this site. We were able to extend our stay to 7 days by just adding on our own hotel for the extra days (the flight cost didn't change so the prize company were happy to arrange a different flight back).

It was amazing! A place we would never have gone but we loved it there.

Thanks MSE!
    I am Doll Parts
    Bad Skin, Doll Heart
    • elizaco
    • By elizaco 29th Jul 18, 10:55 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    elizaco
    A couple of years ago I won two lovely holidays. I won a 2 night stay at Brompton Lakes in North Yorkshire with Welcome to Yorkshire. And a 3 night stay in Dublin including hotel, ferry crossing and 500 spending money with Classic FM.
    • Lala36
    • By Lala36 5th Aug 18, 9:00 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 132 Thanks
    Lala36
    Russiaaaa!
    My most recent win was a week to Russia, all flights and hotels paid for (we stayed in two cities), tickets to watch ENG v BEL at the World Cup with VIP hospitality. Spending money & loads of merchandise included. What an experience!
    • AspieGirl101
    • By AspieGirl101 6th Aug 18, 9:45 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 79 Thanks
    AspieGirl101
    Just got back from 2 night stay to an Unknown Location with Wizzair - Ended up going to Bari, Italy! Such an amazing experience
    • raspberryfluff
    • By raspberryfluff 8th Aug 18, 1:58 PM
    • 279 Posts
    • 8,836 Thanks
    raspberryfluff
    I've just had a letter to say I've won a family self catering holiday to Spain, including flights, car hire and 200 for insurance and other costs. We've been online and totted it up, and all in all it's about 2500!
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
    • lindens
    • By lindens 8th Aug 18, 2:06 PM
    • 2,233 Posts
    • 7,098 Thanks
    lindens
    Not as exciting as some, when Alton Towers opened their new hotel (Splash landings or something like that it is called) I won a 2 day park ticket and an overnight stay in this hotel
    You're not your * could have not of * Debt not dept *
    • bondieboy
    • By bondieboy 9th Aug 18, 4:33 PM
    • 51 Posts
    • 1,191 Thanks
    bondieboy
    3 nights in Austria back in 2014. Included flights and amazing accommodation with a very special fondue meal that we needed some off road tank to get us to! Worth 2500. Thanks MSE and all you posters.
    • sarah20161
    • By sarah20161 11th Aug 18, 6:06 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    sarah20161
    Nice to hear that it's actually possible. I always assumed nobody won the big prizes in competitions (which is probably overly cynical!).
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

32Posts Today

4,249Users online

Martin's Twitter