Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ilovepeoplesoverymuch
    • By ilovepeoplesoverymuch 16th Nov 15, 10:50 AM
    • 16Posts
    • 1Thanks
    ilovepeoplesoverymuch
    DHL Charges Forced
    • 16th Nov 15, 10:50 AM
    DHL Charges Forced 16th Nov 15 at 10:50 AM
    Hi,

Basically I ordered three packages from overseas and VAT was charged on them. The person hasn't always put the value on their packages, but for some reason they did this time. Anyway, DHL have placed £30 charge on top of the VAT. DHL told me that since they've already paid the VAT, that I have to pay the full amount.

When I have had orders delivered by DHL before, they sent me a letter before they charged me. I can't afford these extra charges, and I didn't ask for it. I thought perhaps VAT would be charged, and I was ready to pay for that, but not these extra charges.

Anyway, my point is they're saying I have to pay up anyway, and I am finding this very unfair as I have been forced into it this time by DHL.

What are my rights? I said I didn't want the parcels and the delivery man said I can contact them to have them delivered another day.
Page 3
    • custardy
    • By custardy 16th Aug 18, 7:06 PM
    • 34,142 Posts
    • 29,020 Thanks
    custardy
    I realise even the last reply is a few months old, but since people keep randomly adding to it every year, is there a way to get this thread locked?
    Originally posted by ilovepeoplesoverymuch
    Perhaps reporting or asking on site feedback,rather than bumping the thread!
    • Richiemain
    • By Richiemain 13th Oct 18, 6:16 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Richiemain
    I think DHL are at it, I sent a silicone mask back to California for repair twice and got billed for VAT, the latest being £15.20 vat and some £10.80 advance payment, surely when something is sent for repair you shouldn’t be charged vat
    • custardy
    • By custardy 13th Oct 18, 11:38 AM
    • 34,142 Posts
    • 29,020 Thanks
    custardy
    I think DHL are at it, I sent a silicone mask back to California for repair twice and got billed for VAT, the latest being £15.20 vat and some £10.80 advance payment, surely when something is sent for repair you shouldn’t be charged vat
    Originally posted by Richiemain
    repaired or replaced?
    • Keep pedalling
    • By Keep pedalling 13th Oct 18, 1:16 PM
    • 5,686 Posts
    • 6,481 Thanks
    Keep pedalling
    If it was a free repair then there should be no charge, but if you paid for the repair then you will be charged VAT on the repair costs.

This however depends on the right declaration being declared by the sender. If they get that wrong you are stuffed.
    • bris
    • By bris 13th Oct 18, 4:53 PM
    • 8,201 Posts
    • 7,152 Thanks
    bris
    Well if you don't like it do your own customs clearance.

Nobody makes you use DHL but when you do they do the clearance for you, should they do that for free?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,487Posts Today

7,228Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Many asking "what does leaving EU actually mean for me?" both with or without a no-deal. The MSE guide to Brexit t? https://t.co/ULimpQPlHp

• I'm very glad my poll today has caused such unity and consensus. It feels like a real moment of rapprochement in th? https://t.co/QVCzqsiVOi

• RT @CourtBasedPSU: This week we hit a major milestone. PSU volunteers have now provided support to Litigants in Person on 300,000 occasion?

• Follow Martin