Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Moneyfordreams
    • By Moneyfordreams 5th Nov 15, 11:32 AM
    • 1,143Posts
    • 5,677Thanks
    Moneyfordreams
    In the nick of time
    • 5th Nov 15, 11:32 AM
    In the nick of time 5th Nov 15 at 11:32 AM
    Hello,
    I been reading debt free diaries and mortgage free diaries since the summer and I have been hugely inspired and reassured my dreams are achievable.

My husband was significantly in debt until 2 1/2 years ago through a failing business during the recession. Due to having equity in our home I was able (had to) to re-mortgage and pay off the debts. that's the simple version anyway.

During the time when my husbands income was negligible we had a lodger. Unfortunately those basement rooms require about 5K worth of work and are currently unlettable. I hope either to save this money by the spring, or maybe withdraw some capital from my husbands small pensions. He gets about £200 pcm plus £800 wage. He has his own debt to pay until June next year, then I gain £120 to go towards the mortgage.

I have a fairly good job and have always worked extra hours. My husband is working in a job on minimum wage. After many money related traumas and battles our relationship is fantastic.

My aim is to retire at 55 if I can. I am going to go hell for leather to make this happen. We trimmed our expenses years ago. We have the occasional slip up and overspend in fact this year has been an overspend on some big items whist shopping at lld1.

We have recently registered with airbnb to increase our income and may soon break even from initial outlay.

Sold house March 2018

Savings
    Rainy day £2000

Short term goals
    Buy new home, pay down mortgage to < £100k by end of fixed deal June 2019 (looking less likely as spent 10 weeks in temporary accommodation)
    NEW HOME page 32

KEY DATES
    Can access work pension 2025 (55 years)
    Have very small £2k private pension to close 2025
    DH state pension 2025, plus current pension of £200 pcm
    DH shares can be accessed from June 2020 and 2021but aim to cash them 2025
    my state pension 2037
    Official mortgage end 2030

http://www.whatsthecost.com/snowball.aspx

Mortgage OP
    June 2018 OP £278. 68
    June 30th OP £200.00 = £478.68
    July 2nd OP £34.14 = ££512.82

Long term savings shares/ISA (without interest/growth)
    Me
    July 2018 £100 & £143
    August 2018 £100 =£343
    September 2018 +£100 = £443
    October 2018 +£100 = £543
    November 2018 +£100 = £643
    December 2018 +£100 = £743

OH SM shares
    June 2018 £1200 + £200 = £1400
    July 2018 +£200 = £1600
    August +£200 = £1800
    September +£200 =£2000
    October +£200 = £2200
    November +£200= £2400
    December xmas month off
    Last edited by Moneyfordreams; 01-11-2018 at 9:48 AM. Reason: to add link
Page 37
    • Moneyfordreams
    • By Moneyfordreams 25th Oct 18, 11:29 AM
    • 1,143 Posts
    • 5,677 Thanks
    Moneyfordreams
    further £30 spent on food , but more snack type stuff

Joiner has put in loft ladders and put a twist door knob onto DD2s room, hoping she'll use the twist function to close rather than the slam dunk she usually does £120

OH has now cleared his shed of suitable loft storage items .... they've made it to the second shed, otherwise known as the dining room. After us buying him a chainsaw, he wanted a workbench, then somewhere dry to cut wood for our new fire, the dining room .... it goes on and on

Plumber is eventually here. I do feel sorry for him. his wife has been in hospital for a couple of months with a significant injury and recently discharged. she needs lots of care for another 3 months. His mother also give him worries for an older person. So he has more than me to worry about. Yesterday he removed the radiator pipes from the wall we have taken down and replaced the leaky shed tap. Today he's fitting a timer to the boiler that he should have done in the summer and radiator to our bathroom.

We are on a water metre so leaky taps and pipes have been bothering me. £5 on parts yesterday £30 labour. The radiator that I bought in error a couple of years ago is too good to waste on our building site bathroom. He says he can pick up one for £15 and fit it today.

We agreed to SE designs on the wall coming down (dining/kitchen) hopefully the builder can order steel next week when he has weights. We may even get a quote
    Last edited by Moneyfordreams; 25-10-2018 at 11:31 AM.
    Mortgage restart June 2018 £119950
    zero personal cc
    6x166 for sofas ending November 2018
    £2500 on DD1s car cc
    • Moneyfordreams
    • By Moneyfordreams 25th Oct 18, 5:05 PM
    • 1,143 Posts
    • 5,677 Thanks
    Moneyfordreams
    Surprize windfall of a £50 cheque from scottish P for returning to them today... which promptly went on vinyl for bathroom floor. OH will take the old door frames away tomorrow so it can be laid. Plumber only charged us £40 for his time, It was £80 for radiator and timer.

Another lovely little play with DGD. She's back tomorrow whilst mummy is working.
    zero personal cc
    £2500 on DD1s car cc
    • Moneyfordreams
    • By Moneyfordreams 28th Oct 18, 11:25 PM
    • 1,143 Posts
    • 5,677 Thanks
    Moneyfordreams
    2 happy long days in work.. busy but happy. I was working with a junior colleague yesterday (30yo) who is newly married and a breath of fresh air. Today working with a colleague who has a young outlook, has family needs, but is a joy as she is 40 and 6months pregnant .. we (her work friends) have been through 18 months of conception ( ) a much longed for baby... I made a banana cake for today after work yesterday at 9.30pm which went down well today.

My lovely husband (I don't call him that enough) has removed the old door frames yesterday and today has fitted the vinyl bathroom floor.. it wouldn't have been my first choice floor but it was cheap ( £40) and the blue fake wood makes the blue suite less outlandish (hahahaha) but £40 may well buy me time before we need to replace the whole lot. We went to a flooring shop less 5 mins walk away. the roll off cut was the right size an price. my OH was a flooring contractor so it was kind of helping a local independent tradesman.

Payday Tuesday but out pppp poor payroll payslips advance does not work on weekends , therefore working weekends can be a bind when you love planning ... my bank does pending payments so midnight I should know how much I've earned … I'm hoping moderate rather than low

New front door Tuesday.. opaque glass vertical panel. £500 in Wicks and its not hard wood. joiner getting us one from Howdens £240 and £140 to fit and adjust frame. I need to change the glass frame main to opaque, from 1970's bubble glass . (1920's semi)
    Last edited by Moneyfordreams; 28-10-2018 at 11:44 PM.
    zero personal cc
    £2500 on DD1s car cc
    • newgirly
    • By newgirly 29th Oct 18, 8:08 AM
    • 6,511 Posts
    • 45,331 Thanks
    newgirly
    The cruise sounds interesting mfd's, i can imagine the the scenery will be amazing!
    MFW 21

£77,580
    • Moneyfordreams
    • By Moneyfordreams 31st Oct 18, 11:34 AM
    • 1,143 Posts
    • 5,677 Thanks
    Moneyfordreams
    haha I love that... interesting… to me it seems cold, 75% of the people I've told (about a dozen maybe) have gone ...ooo that will be cold. I'll come back a fat bloated boozer but the cruise company do it so it can't be too bad , I'm hopeful. I shouldn't have booked if after wine.

pay day was ok.. slightly more than I'd budgeted, I usually underestimate as to not get into a pickle. Money is going to continue to run away from me for the next few months. Our structural Engineer gave us his plans therefore another £420 gone, then we've agreed on the building regulation people £250 (+vat). Our builder is aiming to start work 12th November, which is great as Its after my night shifts. We are going to meet him next week to discuss finer points. OH didn't ask if he was doing one wall or 2, or costs

New front door looks fab. so then it makes the rest look meh …… I will aim to strip some paint off the frame. I don't want to order glass just yet pending quote and detail from builder We have our Vienna trip to budget for too (although OH said he's paying for this ) I've cancelled my PT today as I slept pitifully last night.

The cheap rubbish paint is coming in useful. OH has painted the building site bathroom with it. the area where the shower hangs has started to develop mould bleach clean and cheap gloss paint to make it wipeable. I was thinking of those tongue and groove panels to cover all evils but reality is next summer Its likely to be ripped out
    Last edited by Moneyfordreams; 31-10-2018 at 11:56 AM.
    zero personal cc
    £2500 on DD1s car cc
    • Moneyfordreams
    • By Moneyfordreams 1st Nov 18, 9:31 AM
    • 1,143 Posts
    • 5,677 Thanks
    Moneyfordreams
    Managed to remove half of the paint off the front door and surrounding window frames, back to it this am.. although husband has gone back to sleep. He's on nights tonight. The heat gun is noisy my excuse to sit for an hour first. We've also said today we will take remaining paper off chimney breast from fire fitting.

I'm not sure what to paint frames and door. old versus new wood so different shades. plus the hall is quite dark. I think I may just paint the frames white again. I they had a hundred years worth of paint on them , hence the need to remove it first. I loved my sage green front door in the last house. I'm dithering. Something pale though, OH seems to think I wanted pale grey....

We ended up having a Chinese meal last night, in a restaurant 10 mins walk away. Getting to know our new area. We rarely eat foods of other cultures as OH is so fussy... he likes sui mai but they weren't on the buffet menu, so more expensive.. but it was ok for a rare treat. I know I must keep a tight reign on things now. ( the Indian and Thai and Italian can wait )

After the building regulations go out ? when, i'll have £7.5. I'm hoping that will be enough to take 2 walls down and put in bi folds, however I think our builder doing it in 2 halves. Hopefully after our meeting next week we can have a firm (ish ) Idea of prices.
    zero personal cc
    £2500 on DD1s car cc
    • Moneyfordreams
    • By Moneyfordreams 2nd Nov 18, 11:26 AM
    • 1,143 Posts
    • 5,677 Thanks
    Moneyfordreams
    I almost finished the paint stripping yesterday... the heat gun decided to go on a go slow will check it out again after OH gets up. I hoping it was just tired It was £14.99 from the range last month and true to form I can't find receipt. It's only the 3rd time I've switched it on.

What I did do was put some elbow grease into cleaning the windows. The bubble design are only small shapes, the previous owner had stuck lead to make fake leaded glass. Taking this off the windows has been fantastic. There still is some adhesive to remove but it looks tons better. The plan is still to change the glass at some point. But at least now it's some point not next week

Back to work the weekend, so today will be cleaning and preparing. OH moved the wood pile from our chopped up tree, to allow for wood delivery next week. He is planning to remove a tree stump with his chain saw which I know the neighbours will be pleased about.

The previous owner planted far to many tress, too close to the house. Onto the previous owner, I'm still baffled how he came across as so well organised and capable, but everything here was falling apart.. this morning I've had a little soak in the bath. which was a trickle from the hot tap. added to all of the other things, blocked drains, no shower, leaking shed tap, poor boiler, sloping porch, old electrics, rotten doors... I could go on
    zero personal cc
    £2500 on DD1s car cc
    • Moneyfordreams
    • By Moneyfordreams 6th Nov 18, 9:40 AM
    • 1,143 Posts
    • 5,677 Thanks
    Moneyfordreams
    Lovely day yesterday... we walked half hour further to lidl to buy cider and wine Monday is our Saturday OH let off some fireworks and our DD1 and DGD , made pasta bake with my bargain Aberdeen Angus mince YS last week and cheap mozzarella. Then we watched Harry Potter and The Addams family... Had to shoo them home at 11pm

So today is slimming world day. I have to rejoin… my eating habits are out of control with evening snacking. I don't know why these groups make me behave... paying a small fortune on a PT hasn't at all. :O

Hopefully we will catch up with the builder today or tomorrow. I'm on nights this coming weekend so would like to get organised. I'm not sure if I can't bear the indecision or whether I'm rocking it
    zero personal cc
    £2500 on DD1s car cc
    • CathT
    • By CathT 7th Nov 18, 7:12 AM
    • 5,786 Posts
    • 40,532 Thanks
    CathT
    Very productive over here. Years ago pre -children when we both worked unsociable hours our Wednesday was always our weekend.
    Nov 2018 -
    part 1 - £74,947
    part 2 - £44,678
    Total - £119,625
    • Moneyfordreams
    • By Moneyfordreams 7th Nov 18, 9:56 AM
    • 1,143 Posts
    • 5,677 Thanks
    Moneyfordreams
    I suppose we are productive... I feel we lurch from one thing to another at times. With half done jobs left in our wake

Our front door handle has just arrived. Because we wanted a long handle it was made by a company in Wales ( a 5 minute internet search for long handles) , ebay guardsman wasn't quite right, it has taken a 10 days longer than expected, so the company have promised a £25 reduction in cost, very generous I feel It's already included in fitting costs, hopefully joiner can come this week.

During a mooch around our local shops I found my hair dye a pound cheaper in £oundland than home bargains £2 DD1 gave me a 30 second trim last week , the bonus of short ish fine hair. I'm trying to grow it to shoulder length but my hair won't take it well ... it patchy lengths due to alocpecia when DD2 born .. with my 2 stone over weight, 5'2" I sound a right catch

Still waiting on builder... vaguely annoying... I'm saying , i can't do glazing because i don't know cost, I can't buy a car because of builder , etc...

I did order 30 bags of logs and kindle for £94 pound with delivery, bulk orders cheaper ... they arrived yesterday. I guessed it would be 3 months supply , OH guessed 2 months. last night we used 3 logs with a couple of joiners left overs there are 22 left in 1st the bag... exellent start .

Slimming world yesterday was Ok,,, I keot to the plan (hurrah) first time in 9 months... I suppose I did have a couple of healthy days when I started the PT... But food shopping was £50 in Asddom, i did use 10% off card too.
    zero personal cc
    £2500 on DD1s car cc
    • Moneyfordreams
    • By Moneyfordreams 8th Nov 18, 12:01 PM
    • 1,143 Posts
    • 5,677 Thanks
    Moneyfordreams
    Working tonight and the rest of the weekend night shifts so resting today. OH has decided to work 2 overtimes this week starting last night. I couldn't sleep last night which often happens.. DD2 text 6am from work to ask if I was working today. OH came home 6.30, I settled back to sleep from 7.30 until 10.30... set for the night now

Day 3 with slimming world I keep cooking … lots of extra portions for the freezer. yesterdays soup was delicious. not cheap though, fix pie mix (£3.60), spring onions, Chinese leaves , dash soy, tiny bit chilli flakes, stock, broccoli, and spaghetti pasta broken into small stands. … I ended up having it for lunch and dinner.

I do have braised YS beef and YS mushrooms ready for more of a balance cost wise. My usual benchmark cost per main meal is less than £2.50 per meat for 4 portions. then a bonus if buy cheaper or YS.

A slimming world quiche in the oven too for light meals, and I'm planning a marinated chicken something, either Burmese chicken, Gremolata chicken or plain old curry . This will all be for me as OH half has steak pie

My thighs and bum are aching from a leg day with my PT yesterday. I have paid for this until Christmas.. I'm hoping to stop then.

So today may sand off the wood work a bit. Hopefully we are all set for next week. I'm also assuming we are only having the first half of the job completed as I've not picked any doors or windows...
    zero personal cc
    £2500 on DD1s car cc
    • brizzlegirl
    • By brizzlegirl 8th Nov 18, 9:35 PM
    • 406 Posts
    • 2,696 Thanks
    brizzlegirl
    Just catching up. All sounding great..when’s the cruise? Sounds lovely but didn’t catch when you’re going.

Have a good Friday and weekend x
    MFW..aiming to pay it off in 2022.. 2018 Savings Rate - Goal 40% [29%May 25%June 15%July 32% Sept & Oct] 2018 Income Goal £100/£750 November Goals: AFDs 13/25; Decluttering 07/60; LSDs 05/10; NSDs 01/10 Exercise 02/15 12k steps per day pls Aiming to be a true Frugalista!
    • Moneyfordreams
    • By Moneyfordreams 9th Nov 18, 4:35 PM
    • 1,143 Posts
    • 5,677 Thanks
    Moneyfordreams
    Hi Brizzle, it's a Cruise around UK. 1st call Dunkirk, then around east coast to Shetland around Hebrides, down to Ireland and Isles of Scilly …… in March , 12 days

I feel silly..... now feeling frightened on money the front builder friend came to say he's starting next week. no firm day or cost but some bricks and sand have arrived. He's taken measurements and is ordering steel. . I have asked him to provide costs ASAP. Initially he said he may do the job in 2 parts... now saying it is to be completed … Then he mentioned a glazer coming Monday to measure.. which I'm fine with, but again poor communication... I'm just freaking out over costs... not skills, although removing 2 supporting walls in the house in a minor (MAJOR) concern, his junior said laughing "have we buildings insurance?" I responded " I'm expecting you to have that . I will phone my insurers to ensure adequate cover. I told builder him I didn't have the money to meet the other quotes we had at the time, but now I'm having flutters that the structural engineer cost and building regulations , £1200, (paid £900 so far) then bifolds at £1k per metre ours is 3.7m, plus a window, plus his costs surpass what I have left....

therefore I'm now regretting booking cruise in haste and blowing a further £500 on a front door in case we need it … I wish I had gone with the first company

It will be fine I've a few cash avenues I can take... it will take as long to complete as payday to arrive... I can always ask for an overdraft in the short term I suppose , I haven't had one on those in years.
    zero personal cc
    £2500 on DD1s car cc
    • Moneyfordreams
    • By Moneyfordreams 10th Nov 18, 2:27 PM
    • 1,143 Posts
    • 5,677 Thanks
    Moneyfordreams
    Better news on the building front today... Glazer came with builder, Quote for one window and 3.6m bifolds in aluminium and grey colour is £2950, thrilled , going with it. I'm sure our builder friend wouldn't use a dud, he built his own house and has many BTLs. Deposit paid fitting date 4th December though. But this seems to be Ok. Builders coming in next week to remove internal wall and block off dining room doorway. Then they will have a week off. When we go to Vienna they will come back to remove rear wall and board up. We get back Thursday 29th and window/doors fitted Tuesday 4th. Only the weekend to live in an indoor campsite. But money wise I should have enough. Builder looking at around £5k. Payday being on 29th Nov, I'll scrape through... with about £300 spare.

I liked the glazer, I like our builder... but the first company would have been cheaper to go with after all

Good job I've told our girls there is a £50 limit on Christmas... DD1 still owes me £250... I'm not thinking I'll be seeing that anytime soon. Decembers salary will have 3 full weekends and a set of nights in so there is something to look forward to.
    zero personal cc
    £2500 on DD1s car cc
    • newgirly
    • By newgirly 10th Nov 18, 10:59 PM
    • 6,511 Posts
    • 45,331 Thanks
    newgirly
    Glad it's all sorted now mfd's
    MFW 21

£77,580
    • Moneyfordreams
    • By Moneyfordreams 11th Nov 18, 2:01 PM
    • 1,143 Posts
    • 5,677 Thanks
    Moneyfordreams
    Cheers NG
    I'm working hard these nights as my colleague is off sick. last night busy with little things. the night before it was horrible. I felt I was circling the drain... maybe that is an exaggeration, But after my break people needed more from me aa they had bigger needs, but then my queue built leaving me not able to see as many as I normally would. We have had our hours changed to start earlier to cover the evening more and leave earlier. I was cursing management

Only a short night tonight. Other team members get to work through their breaks at weekends if all allows. I'm hoping for that if I can to leave early hours ready for the big build start. I'm keeping fingers crossed colleague is returning.
    zero personal cc
    £2500 on DD1s car cc
    • Moneyfordreams
    • By Moneyfordreams 14th Nov 18, 9:56 AM
    • 1,143 Posts
    • 5,677 Thanks
    Moneyfordreams
    Planned early work finish Monday didn't happen , neither did my break … I suppose it was my own fault. I shouldn't have picked up that next job Anyhow may have improved relations with one of the seniors there who is quite prickly because of it. Maybe a good outcome after all.

Builder has delivered acro's and bricks... steel and wall coming down tomorrow. I've decided on a the d!cor for the room and I am quite excited to put it all together roll on 4th Dec when the glazing is fitted

Work meeting today for our teams... I'm a bit apprehensive as there are lots of local changes mooted... and we've been told to attend on our day off...
    zero personal cc
    £2500 on DD1s car cc
    • CathT
    • By CathT 14th Nov 18, 6:45 PM
    • 5,786 Posts
    • 40,532 Thanks
    CathT
    Hopefully the worst of the work will be done whilst you're away. Will everything be done by Christmas?

Hope work meeting went as well as can be.
    Nov 2018 -
    part 1 - £74,947
    part 2 - £44,678
    Total - £119,625
    • Moneyfordreams
    • By Moneyfordreams 16th Nov 18, 9:33 AM
    • 1,143 Posts
    • 5,677 Thanks
    Moneyfordreams
    Well Cath , service redesign, jobs safe (so they say) … better care... less disjointed services across the city... but we will probably work under a different umbrella … and not attached to where we are... less medical support.. I suppose then we may lose skills, divert the more complicated needs away.. less acute/severe... possibly up to 2 years to implement … I'm not convinced. I'm quite independent in my role bit do need a further course or 2 to improve autonomy. I'm qualified for somethings and not others.. so if a patient says I have such a complaint... then adds on but another thing happened and it doesn't fit my criteria, I can nip to a senior and say does this sound about right?? and the senior will say yay or nay.. So it may be we get limited exposure to more severe or interesting needs. Anyhow my line manager trying to talk me out of paying for the course myself in January saying if they want us to work in a different way they should fund it.

Builders here and both walls plaster free and still standing... OMG the mess... I am not a clean freak by any means.. I can tolerate a bit of dust and a few dirty dishes left over... But how we are going to cope over the next 2 1/2 weeks I don't know. Leaving the house unattended while we go on a trip is scary... DD2 was so rude the other night. She has been quite pleasant lately so took me by surprise. She's only been here part time really. Staying at her boyfriends a lot.

And I ordered a new sofa for dining room .. gold plush velvet, 2 seater DFS one was £1349, cheaper chesterfield types were still £600 or £700.. ordered from Made.com...for £849, so somewhere it the middle. I have taken a bit of a risk as I would usually sit on sofas to ensure comfort. They said delivery nest Tuesday. I've and email to say it's been dispatched where the heck I'm going to put it I dont know... and it's going on a cc , but I have a plan not a great plan.. but a plan .. it's joining the cruise.. to be paid from Decembers and January's salaries. I've nabbed a few nights OT for when we get back from Vienna. It will mean I will have 7 days off, the 2 night in and 4 off. then a further 4 weeks of nights until new year. I'll be loaded as no time to go out
    Last edited by Moneyfordreams; 16-11-2018 at 9:35 AM.
    zero personal cc
    £2500 on DD1s car cc
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,509Posts Today

8,894Users online

Martin's Twitter