Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Moneyfordreams
    • By Moneyfordreams 5th Nov 15, 11:32 AM
    • 1,140Posts
    • 5,666Thanks
    Moneyfordreams
    In the nick of time
    • 5th Nov 15, 11:32 AM
    In the nick of time 5th Nov 15 at 11:32 AM
    Hello,
    I been reading debt free diaries and mortgage free diaries since the summer and I have been hugely inspired and reassured my dreams are achievable.

My husband was significantly in debt until 2 1/2 years ago through a failing business during the recession. Due to having equity in our home I was able (had to) to re-mortgage and pay off the debts. that's the simple version anyway.

During the time when my husbands income was negligible we had a lodger. Unfortunately those basement rooms require about 5K worth of work and are currently unlettable. I hope either to save this money by the spring, or maybe withdraw some capital from my husbands small pensions. He gets about 200 pcm plus 800 wage. He has his own debt to pay until June next year, then I gain 120 to go towards the mortgage.

I have a fairly good job and have always worked extra hours. My husband is working in a job on minimum wage. After many money related traumas and battles our relationship is fantastic.

My aim is to retire at 55 if I can. I am going to go hell for leather to make this happen. We trimmed our expenses years ago. We have the occasional slip up and overspend in fact this year has been an overspend on some big items whist shopping at lld1.

We have recently registered with airbnb to increase our income and may soon break even from initial outlay.

Sold house March 2018

Savings
    Rainy day 2000

Short term goals
    Buy new home, pay down mortgage to < 100k by end of fixed deal June 2019 (looking less likely as spent 10 weeks in temporary accommodation)
    NEW HOME page 32

KEY DATES
    Can access work pension 2025 (55 years)
    Have very small 2k private pension to close 2025
    DH state pension 2025, plus current pension of 200 pcm
    DH shares can be accessed from June 2020 and 2021but aim to cash them 2025
    my state pension 2037
    Official mortgage end 2030

http://www.whatsthecost.com/snowball.aspx

Mortgage OP
    June 2018 OP 278. 68
    June 30th OP 200.00 = 478.68
    July 2nd OP 34.14 = 512.82

Long term savings shares/ISA (without interest/growth)
    Me
    July 2018 100 & 143
    August 2018 100 =343
    September 2018 +100 = 443
    October 2018 +100 = 543
    November 2018 +100 = 643
    December 2018 +100 = 743

OH SM shares
    June 2018 1200 + 200 = 1400
    July 2018 +200 = 1600
    August +200 = 1800
    September +200 =2000
    October +200 = 2200
    November +200= 2400
    December xmas month off
    Last edited by Moneyfordreams; 01-11-2018 at 9:48 AM. Reason: to add link
Page 36
    • Moneyfordreams
    • By Moneyfordreams 7th Sep 18, 7:28 PM
    • 1,140 Posts
    • 5,666 Thanks
    Moneyfordreams
    Another night shift tonight. Last nights was ok , I didn't get the 4am-5am dip Bit of a mixed sleep today. I didn't get up properly until 3pm (from 08.45)

This week personal training was seemingly easy on the day, the most uncomfortable part being the post session photos My stomach however has been killing me since... I've had a bit of an annoying cough this last week, not unwell just cough... every time I cough or laugh I am doubled up... The trainer has pointed out (obviously) that although my exercise is fantastic its what I am eating that's the problem.... I know 2 small choc bars and 2 packets of crisps a night is wrong... adding in wine twice a week my weight has been static... still 2 stone to go , but half a stone better than earlier in the year. I've told her before I don't think I'm a failure for making the odd cake, but shock tactics have worked a bit … 2 days calorie counting

Anyhow, I've just returned from the gym all before night shift too. I need the mental positivity shift I had to help me drop a few sizes. I'm 5'2" and 18 top 16 bottom.... matronly (without the stress or salary )
    Mortgage restart June 2018 119950
    zero personal cc
    6x166 for sofas ending November 2018
    2500 on DD1s car cc
    • jodles16
    • By jodles16 7th Sep 18, 9:58 PM
    • 1,369 Posts
    • 4,154 Thanks
    jodles16
    Hey MFD,

Long time no see! I am so impressed with all that has happened since I last checked in! Amazing!

I am trying to learn moderation in order to lose weight, an odd choccy bar or glass of wine is part of living IMHO Well done on the weight loss so far!

Looking forward to keeping up this time!

Jodles
    MFW2017 #29 1200.24/4524
    MFiT #66
    Overall aim 10,124.20/21,743 (156,000)
    2016- Jan-177,472, Apr-173,195.04, July- 171,417.47 Oct- 169,366
    2017- Jan- 167,347.80 Apr- July- Oct-

• Moneyfordreams
    • By Moneyfordreams 12th Sep 18, 5:05 PM
    • 1,140 Posts
    • 5,666 Thanks
    Moneyfordreams
    Hi Jodles, welcome back

The things is I'm a bit all or nothing,,, binge fast... with everything

More happy quotes today.... the fireplace company have quoted us 3200 to supply and fit both gas fire and log burner ..... they can't fit until october though We did change to the cheaper hole in the wall gas jobby, and the log burner we chose and ex display for sale price..... they said the gave us 500 reduction due to getting both fires from the same company Really pleased but I hope my 0% offer card will still be available. (WOOOP 31st OCT)

Bought a gorgeous little chair from fleabay for the dining room today... fairly impulsive today , although i did save the item a couple of weeks ago. N3xt brand I offered 80

I think the flood gates have opened on the money front DD2 wanted a LEo D'caprio life size cut out 35. we promised her 360... her driving lessons today 220... so what to do with 140. OH wants to buy her a football top (urgh) ... I have got a weeny bit cross that he was off to buy her an extra present from himself.. which would then impact my budget by me topping him up , or him not taking me anywhere and me paying for everything... I think I may ask DD2 what does she want ? I want her to be prepared for not really anything to open ... she has invited our friends, 2 of her friends her BF and my sister for a birthday meal in a local indian restaurant ... 11 of us. now our friends footed the bill for thier DD last week (350including deposit) I know we will be expected to do the same.... so I'm not being mean for her birthday . just practical.
    zero personal cc
    2500 on DD1s car cc
    • CathT
    • By CathT 13th Sep 18, 6:46 AM
    • 5,777 Posts
    • 40,498 Thanks
    CathT
    Lots going on here mfd. That seems like a good quote for the fires. We considered a log
    Burner but without an existing chimney it was too expensive and we don't have access to cheap/free wood. We got a dimplex optimist fire though which looks fab.

Great efforts with the weight training too. I've been doing weights at home but wondering whether to join the gym now so I can lift heavier. There's always an excuse/reason for me not to though (usually time and money). I completing my MSc this year so if I get a student card I may use that to my advantage. Good luck with your masters applications, my trust are funding mine.
    Nov 2018 -
    part 1 - 74,947
    part 2 - 44,678
    Total - 119,625
    • Moneyfordreams
    • By Moneyfordreams 15th Sep 18, 7:53 AM
    • 1,140 Posts
    • 5,666 Thanks
    Moneyfordreams
    its funny how you can make time I made gym time in my 20s and most of my 30s, just the last 10 yeas or so I hadn't made any until this year I suppose it's whatever is the priority... for me it was excuse not to when finances went awry, and injuries crept in. I did exercise in fits and starts, just not consistently. My problem is binge fast mentality with everything.

I'm still waiting to hear if I can complete module. There is an October intake, so I gave manager a nudge yesterday. I do begrudge paying for it when they will benefit greatly. I'm quite autonomous in my role. The boundaries often get a bit blurred and quite often my notes say "discussed with" if it crosses over to the other specialties. It would back my decision making up as often the presenting problem expands upon assessment.

Food shopping has been exceptionally good this month. I went to @ldi 28th August, then again 11th September. 29 and 22 (rounded up) . We've eaten healthily and well, proper meals (and snacks ) . My only YS items were seabass and 8 chick drumstick for 1 . We've only a standard fridge freezer in this house. I'm not quite sure how we've managed it freezer still got a good weeks worth of food in. OH has brought home the odd 10p loaf from his work. this morning I've got up to a ripped bag of 24 toilet rolls. I'm dying to find out how much they were(3.60 =15p roll ). We have DD2 here part time and take our own lunches to work , Tuna pasta anyone?

Mind you my house and birthday spends are making me weep. We are of out this afternoon to see old uncle. He's having another chemo next week and is quite down. The oncologist said they aren't hopeful this time and it may just slow things for him He's my OHs father figure I suppose. DD2 wants to come. Gym later whilst football on then I'm hopefully shopping tomorrow before making DD2's birthday cake.

DD1 has been published in hair magazine for local stars. She of to work with international company again on Monday and little GD started school last week.... yup it's all go
    Last edited by Moneyfordreams; 15-09-2018 at 1:06 PM.
    zero personal cc
    2500 on DD1s car cc
    • Moneyfordreams
    • By Moneyfordreams 16th Sep 18, 1:29 PM
    • 1,140 Posts
    • 5,666 Thanks
    Moneyfordreams
    My weekend off has been a washout... nearly all plans dropped... I've been sleeping. After yesterdays post I curled up on sofa and slept for 2 hours We did get to see uncle yesterday with OH and DD2. I was wide awake and energetic late into yesterday evening went to bed 2am... until midday trying to get myself together to go and buy birthday cake making ingredients. So reading diaries instead

OH gone out to play bowls.. DGD coming around 4pm.. I'm working a long day tomorrow and DD2 is 21 on Tuesday, aiming to make the sponge today and decorate Tuesday. do not feel as if I can fit a gym session in before 6pm oh well … cake it is
    zero personal cc
    2500 on DD1s car cc
    • jodles16
    • By jodles16 16th Sep 18, 1:59 PM
    • 1,369 Posts
    • 4,154 Thanks
    jodles16
    Hi MFD,

You are always such a busy bee, no wonder you are tired out today! Shame you have to do anything and cant just relax!

at the thought of having to pay for food for 11people, surely not?!

Well done on the continued good eating, it is so easy to binge, I am not a faster though, just the binge eater. Have been working hard on this!

Jodles
    MFW2017 #29 1200.24/4524
    MFiT #66
    Overall aim 10,124.20/21,743 (156,000)
    2016- Jan-177,472, Apr-173,195.04, July- 171,417.47 Oct- 169,366
    2017- Jan- 167,347.80 Apr- July- Oct-

• Moneyfordreams
    • By Moneyfordreams 19th Sep 18, 6:19 PM
    • 1,140 Posts
    • 5,666 Thanks
    Moneyfordreams
    Phew, got away with 233 on meal... but then adding gifts, cash and cake its a dear do... but at least they are both adult now and we've survived. Drawing a line under it.

Had a good quote for loft ladders and moving bathroom door and frame. Hopefully the plumber will be able to move the radiator so OH can knock down the toilet bathroom wall.

OH has finally finished hanging the wall paper in the bedroom. Today I have hung my beautiful bargain ebay curtains in the bedroom . Only the carpet to replace now and we will have a completed room

Thinking I'll re-join slimming world on Saturday... I'm not sure why physically going to these groups drags me along rather than me just eating less and moving more
    zero personal cc
    2500 on DD1s car cc
    • Moneyfordreams
    • By Moneyfordreams 22nd Sep 18, 11:22 AM
    • 1,140 Posts
    • 5,666 Thanks
    Moneyfordreams
    Well I didn't make it to slimming world. I woke a 09.30 well I woke many times through the night, and at 06.30 when my husband came to bed, I so needed a sleep. I was desperately tired in work yesterday.. I went for the coffee and sugar fix of a large cost@ and cake to get me through. I have an OT shift this afternoon and then I'm off for a week I can't cancel the shift but can tell myself off dozens of times for booking it. It may pay for the plumber (when he eventually comes ). His jobs are leaking shed tap, timer for CH, remove broken radiator and plumb new one on toilet wall so we can knock down adjoining wall, and replace radiator in DD2s bedroom. We have one radiator, I just need bathroom towel rail or something.

The Structural Engineer never replied to my email 3 weeks ago. After several unanswered calls my OH spoke to him yesterday and he said , he didn't think he needed to reply and was waiting for the builder to call. anyhow, 300 will be needed for his final figures. Then we will be able to get a proper quote from our builder, rather than "I can do it for less than that and you know I won't rip you off" After seeing him on Tuesday, he said late October early November and one week to get wall down. I suppose that's 2 more paydays
    zero personal cc
    2500 on DD1s car cc
    • Moneyfordreams
    • By Moneyfordreams 27th Sep 18, 10:02 AM
    • 1,140 Posts
    • 5,666 Thanks
    Moneyfordreams
    Gorgeous weather so far on my week off. We have treated it like a proper holiday rather too much IYSWIM Financial damage noted and deep breath taken. No more silliness I hope.

I have bought my winter ankle boots. kept with the big brand, as I will wear them to death no doubt and I'm fussy on comfort for my feet. Make up bought, I only wear it for work really. We went to a show in the local theatre for our wedding anniversary. Not a usual choice but a nice evening and OH did it all by himself

OH did knock 1/4 way through the bathroom wall. Joiner coming Tuesday. so building site until then. OH will continue to knock down wall today. we are nipping to bnq to buy a chainsaw to reduce size of logs in garden, in prep for new fire fitted 11th and 12th oct. My twin sister is coming for 1 night this weekend. I need to fix curtains and strip walls. Its only a single room, but at last we can pretty it up a bit. I would in future change to a small double or queen size if possible.

Pay day today bills account sorted for the month (topping up after OH wages) Apart from chain saw, we have everything we need... clothes wise, toiletries, cleaning. Our food bills was really low last month, but we ate our maybe 5 times. My sisters 60th birthday next week and she's home from Dubai. We are going to see A star is born and that's my only plans for the month.... besides work.
    zero personal cc
    2500 on DD1s car cc
    • Moneyfordreams
    • By Moneyfordreams 30th Sep 18, 11:12 AM
    • 1,140 Posts
    • 5,666 Thanks
    Moneyfordreams
    I lied.... my front garden needed to be done and with beautiful weather we got cracking Who knew peddles and stones would cost so much? We had 3 bags... we used 11 .

We have an ok looking front bedroom. We didn't get time to decorate as did front instead. but all paper , steamer and paint ready to go New curtains look great so only a few days effort for another complete room.

Shopping in Aldi , 21 , no alcohol , hopefully we will have another low month.

Babysat last night for GD. she is a nightmare sleeper... has never slept alone.. clung to me all night meaning I had very little sleep awake bright and breezy this morning though. Hopefully her mum will be here shortly so I can go to the gym.

Want to nip to supermarket... probably lild for cheapness and buy a chicken. I have a 14 hour shift tomorrow and want to meal plan a bit.

Joiner coming Tuesday to put up new door. Our toilet side by side to the bathroom is 1metre sq smaller. knocking the wall through and changing door position will make us gain seemingly a huge amount of space
    zero personal cc
    2500 on DD1s car cc
    • Moneyfordreams
    • By Moneyfordreams 6th Oct 18, 9:43 AM
    • 1,140 Posts
    • 5,666 Thanks
    Moneyfordreams
    I'm trying to keep a food total payday to payday. 80 so far but not planning to big shop this week. We have eaten our freezer bare the last 2 months. I want to make a cake for a diabetic friend so will buy butter, cream and S/F jam today. She's had a op this week and is home from hospital.

OP 3.21 to round me down to 116,100.00. I would love to pay off that 100 but still many jobs to do and uncertain of funds for them to be completed.

DD1 has paid back some money this month. I had to juggle things for her CC (her car OP last month ) therefore I'm gaining 100 pay back

Last week was busy. I took my sister to cinema for her big birthday. She's home from middle east for one more week. We enjoyed A Star is Born whatever the critics say . And had lovely tapas following.

Back to work means no spending on unnecessary items. Joiner came though and we are the proud owners of a big bathroom . New door and frame in place with a turning handle rather than a clunk shut thing that wakes the whole house Unfortunately the loft ladders couldn't be attached as they came without all the fittings. OH phoned BNQ who found a bag of fittings on the floor and they our ours another next week fix.

( OH still needs to knock down 2 door frames in bathroom ((chainsaw a godsend )) Plumer/electrician needs to take radiator pipes away from where wall was and replace somewhere else , and move the pull cord light switch and the toilet switch, one to block off the other to move. He's coming tomorrow. may not to do but at least plan

Then it's NEW FIRES WEEK fires to be fitted Thursday and Friday … YAY and with the wall being pulled down we have tons of wood for winter fuel

Funny though, we are having issues with structural engineer. All my positivity for him has dwindled. He never responded to my 31/08 email. I believe he didn't read it. Now I'm in contact with him by email as I had to re forward it and he just seems rude.. or cross that I didn't want his same as everyone else plans.... and he has a stupid name that I can't say in print I wish I had had 1k more cash and I could have gone to local firm rather than builder/SE/friend to let down. By the time this has all been done I have earned the extra cash needed. I only want a blinking wall knocking down and bifold doors. Maybe that's it... I've declined the idea of an extension .
    Last edited by Moneyfordreams; 06-10-2018 at 11:49 AM.
    zero personal cc
    2500 on DD1s car cc
    • chumpy45
    • By chumpy45 6th Oct 18, 12:45 PM
    • 361 Posts
    • 1,603 Thanks
    chumpy45
    Wow, busy busy busy in your household. Making such good progress. Am in awe of all your plans. Good luck with the fires, sound fab x
    Starting Mortgage 01.08.08 171,209.24. Mortgage as at 01.09.15 - 54,780.04; 01.11.15 49,577.04;01.03.16 45,799.32; 01.08.16 42,418.93; 01.10.16 40,119.5 01.02.17 36,584.00; 01.04.17 34,694.71 09.06.17 32,828.89 MFW Target date Sept 2017; :) 06.08.18 24,769.47 01.11.18 23,825.00 New Target Date Sept 2020
    • newgirly
    • By newgirly 7th Oct 18, 7:59 AM
    • 6,508 Posts
    • 45,298 Thanks
    newgirly
    You have been busy! I don't know where you get the energy from mfd's

Glad you Dd's birthday went well and the meal was a bit less than expected, it's an expensive time, but like you I think it's worth splashing out on them for a special birthday.

Good luck with the dieting, I'm also back (again!) at WW and finding it hard work keep at it we will get there in the end
    MFW 21

• Moneyfordreams
    • By Moneyfordreams 7th Oct 18, 10:59 AM
    • 1,140 Posts
    • 5,666 Thanks
    Moneyfordreams
    Cheers, dieting sucks ….. A lifetime of arguing with myself..... Except when I'm thin as my confidence lifts massively. I did make it to the gym yesterday. It wasn't a great workout. But I'm trying to be kind to myself and only do want I want to keep me active. Then on days when I'm feeling strong do more

Chumpy, I'm in awe of your mortgage

Cake is in the oven for a friend. Will call later to deliver. I've never used sweetener in a cake so I'm hoping its ok.

Took myself to bed early last night. I've had 12hours sleep.... That never happens car is full of rubble from wall so I will call at the tip too , OH kindly put the smaller bags in for me
    zero personal cc
    2500 on DD1s car cc
    • Moneyfordreams
    • By Moneyfordreams 7th Oct 18, 11:13 AM
    • 1,140 Posts
    • 5,666 Thanks
    Moneyfordreams
    urgh….. diabetic cake vile.... not at all sweet... poorly risen... i'll take that as a fail
    zero personal cc
    2500 on DD1s car cc
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 7th Oct 18, 1:02 PM
    • 4,317 Posts
    • 8,939 Thanks
    TallGirl
    It's the thought that counts. I know but at least tell them you tried lol
    • Moneyfordreams
    • By Moneyfordreams 20th Oct 18, 11:21 AM
    • 1,140 Posts
    • 5,666 Thanks
    Moneyfordreams
    I had a couple of weeks away from MSE, I can't say I was any busier than normal or in a fug... but I was just living (or avoiding ) I suppose

I'm a touch scared I have over extended ourselves in the short term. My salary the last few months has been great, which has probably boosted my confidence in spending. My concerns are I've not worked many weekends over the last 2 months, therefore not only this month will be low but next months too. Overtime has been cancelled this month unless staffing numbers are really low, and on my days off they are not I have done one OT per month for some time so dropping it on low months is a pain... Its not all bad as I am working 8 out of 10 weekends (and nights) from next weekend to new year, so I will gain any loss back in December and January. I like to average 2 weekends a month as not to be greedy

On a positive note, DD2s 21st spending ceased, front garden nice ( apart from continuous sycamore leaves onto my snow white stones), our bedroom is complete and spare bedroom complete apart from new carpets. Our new fires have been fitted and are working beautifully. I'm sure our log pile is facing rapid decline I have balanced transferred the cost of the fires and extra bits as once I started to spend I thought I might as well put it on CC … kind of a I wish I had put less of a deposit on the house type spend.

The household bills account is fine until payday with OH wages in. It will need to be topped up on my payday by 150 to see us through to his next payday. I have just more than 8k.
    Loft ladders 80 next week
    Electrician ?150
    Plumber ?150
    Structural Engineer 420
    Builder ???????? He's planning November , beginning or end I have no Idea. I have no Idea if he will do half a job or all of it … friends hey … He has told OH he will concentrate on us before Christmas, however if he only does half a job as suggested I will be ok with that too as I am scared of spending too much and not going into further debt.

I also need to find 1200 …. I have booked a cruise for my OH's 60th next year. It's an around Britain one (in March Brrrr) of all the blinking places in the world.. he chose around Britain. We'll be sitting on deck in our thermals
    Last edited by Moneyfordreams; 20-10-2018 at 11:29 AM.
    zero personal cc
    2500 on DD1s car cc
    • chumpy45
    • By chumpy45 20th Oct 18, 11:47 AM
    • 361 Posts
    • 1,603 Thanks
    chumpy45
    You still have lots going on MFD, but you always sound so in control of all monies in and out. Diabetic cake sounded interesting. I am battling with all things vegan atm as DS2 and DS3's girlfriend are both vegan. Cruise sounds fab, but you're right, it might be a little chilly! Enjoy the weekend.
    Starting Mortgage 01.08.08 171,209.24. Mortgage as at 01.09.15 - 54,780.04; 01.11.15 49,577.04;01.03.16 45,799.32; 01.08.16 42,418.93; 01.10.16 40,119.5 01.02.17 36,584.00; 01.04.17 34,694.71 09.06.17 32,828.89 MFW Target date Sept 2017; :) 06.08.18 24,769.47 01.11.18 23,825.00 New Target Date Sept 2020
    • Moneyfordreams
    • By Moneyfordreams 21st Oct 18, 11:51 AM
    • 1,140 Posts
    • 5,666 Thanks
    Moneyfordreams
    I'm hoping the cruise will be ok 12 days of it... our 1st cruise. Dunkirk 1st, then the east coast of UK stopping in the highlands and onto Shetland, Orkney, Dublin, Cork and Isles of Scilly. Lots of places we probably would not get to. The price was kind of right for what we wanted to spend at that time and of course the dates were suitable for our AL. Maybe we will be lucky and see Northern lights.. but that could be a wish too far

Food shopping this month is another good one. to add to the 80 already spent is 36. This has been food alone. I suppose I'm lucky OH doesn't like steak much . We've a YS lamb shoulder joint for lunch today which was reduced to 4. I used OH 10% off shopping to get it for 3.60. Last nights tea was sausage and mash our DD1 was here with DGD and we even fed DD2 later … 3 to feed 5 . I did push the boat out this week and bought cod loin for 2.99. I added prawns and thai green curry paste to make a fish soup with green beans and wobbly spring onions

FB selling pages finally had a cheval mirror. It's getting delivered shortly. We don't have a full length mirror in this house, thankfully at times. I've been loathe to pay full price for one so rather pleased.
    zero personal cc
    2500 on DD1s car cc
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,757Posts Today

9,633Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Major new guide... Brexit, what it means for you and your finances: M mortgages, savings, flights, consumer rights? https://t.co/SXCMG2qXwX

• Have you haggled on the high street in the last year? If so who with and did you succeed? Please vote in this week? https://t.co/fdzmmFfA4u

• Warning: Energy price comparisons are now WRONG due to the price cap - it needs fixing - my letter to Ofgem alerti? https://t.co/vE9IHyM58X

• Follow Martin