Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Moneyfordreams
    • By Moneyfordreams 5th Nov 15, 11:32 AM
    • 1,068Posts
    • 5,217Thanks
    Moneyfordreams
    In the nick of time
    • 5th Nov 15, 11:32 AM
    In the nick of time 5th Nov 15 at 11:32 AM
    Hello,
    I been reading debt free diaries and mortgage free diaries since the summer and I have been hugely inspired and reassured my dreams are achievable.

My husband was significantly in debt until 2 1/2 years ago through a failing business during the recession. Due to having equity in our home I was able (had to) to re-mortgage and pay off the debts. that's the simple version anyway.

During the time when my husbands income was negligible we had a lodger. Unfortunately those basement rooms require about 5K worth of work and are currently unlettable. I hope either to save this money by the spring, or maybe withdraw some capital from my husbands small pensions. He gets about 200 pcm plus 800 wage. He has his own debt to pay until June next year, then I gain 120 to go towards the mortgage.

I have a fairly good job and have always worked extra hours. My husband is working in a job on minimum wage. After many money related traumas and battles our relationship is fantastic.

My aim is to retire at 55 if I can. I am going to go hell for leather to make this happen. We trimmed our expenses years ago. We have the occasional slip up and overspend in fact this year has been an overspend on some big items whist shopping at lld1.

We have recently registered with airbnb to increase our income and may soon break even from initial outlay.

Sold house March 2018

Savings
    Rainy day 2000

Short term goals
    Buy new home, pay down mortgage to < 100k by end of fixed deal June 2019 (looking less likely as spent 10 weeks in temporary accommodation)
    NEW HOME page 32

KEY DATES
    Can access work pension 2025 (55 years)
    Have very small 2k private pension to close 2025
    DH state pension 2025, plus current pension of 200 pcm
    DH shares can be accessed from June 2020 and 2021but aim to cash them 2025
    my state pension 2037
    Official mortgage end 2030

http://www.whatsthecost.com/snowball.aspx

Mortgage OP
    June 2018 OP 278. 68
    June 30th OP 200.00 = 478.68
    July 2nd OP 34.14 = 512.82

Long term savings shares/ISA (without interest/growth)
    Me July 2018 100 & 143
    OH July 2018 1300
    Last edited by Moneyfordreams; 17-07-2018 at 1:58 PM. Reason: to add link
Page 35
    • Busy Mee1
    • By Busy Mee1 25th Jul 18, 5:59 AM
    • 672 Posts
    • 3,013 Thanks
    Busy Mee1
    It sounds that this will be money well spent. At least it is 0% borrowing and will be spent on something tangible, i.e improving your home.
    • Moneyfordreams
    • By Moneyfordreams 25th Jul 18, 6:05 PM
    • 1,068 Posts
    • 5,217 Thanks
    Moneyfordreams
    Thank you Brizzle , Pinky pig and Busy mee1, I was expecting a few gasps maybe... but I am good at paying things back... I am good at earning... I'm just not good with patience There was very little property I liked when we opted for this one... I'm sure it will be fine in the long run, What we can do for 10k- 15k, the mark up would be double locally. Least I can't book a cruise now

The bathroom being functional is getting ignored for now as my estimate price is 3k its quite reachable. Tree surgeon today has done a fantastic job. well 4 off them for 4 hours. They have left us a huge pile of logs for our proposed log burner... they even delivered some of the neighbours waste wood as they were chopping down next door but ones trees too .

OH put off builder until tomorrow as OH was playing bowls and wanted to be here (I don't know why as he never gets what he wants We ( I ) have decided to lose a bit of the hall and bring out the right angle were the doors meet , to a diagonal to gain more kitchen / diner space... those couple of feet will make a big difference on the other side. Then glass doors to allow the light back...

I have almost finished painting our fitted wardrobes. they were dark wood and to good to rip out. But they look loads better with a pale paint job. I've used rustoleum brand before and it gives an amazing finishing. So 40 to brighten the bedroom... That's just the start though
    Mortgage restart June 2018 119950
    zero personal cc
    6x166 for sofas ending November 2018
    2500 on DD1s car cc
    • Moneyfordreams
    • By Moneyfordreams 27th Jul 18, 12:03 PM
    • 1,068 Posts
    • 5,217 Thanks
    Moneyfordreams
    It's not payday until Monday, however I can see the pending payment online... Its 420 more than last month.. I don't know whether it includes back pay from due pay rise (I hope not ) but it should include an overtime shift and more weekends and nights than the previous month.

A relief really what with planned spending I have answered a WhatsApp to do more ovies tomorrow. so that will be 2 for next months pay too

This months extra costs as well as renovations are MOT/service and Surrey trip to sisters party. Seen as my DD1seems to be single again (weekly/monthly occurrence) she will be travelling down with us and I've stumped up for hotel

The 1st builder who we thought could do a side job has said it will be better to get the boss out as we may need planning ( ARRGHH ) , he seems to think my diagonal door idea is not workable with the layout and need for steel , So the company fella is coming on Monday to assess for a wall knock down and bifold doors.

Also on Monday we've booked a fire company to assess for a hole in the wall gas fire. I've paid 100 deposit for the fancy fire, however if we fail a smoke test and need to add stuff (cant remember what but it cost 395) I will drop to cheaper fire...They have said they will do a deal on the front room log burner too.

Joiner in here today building trellis for the left of the garden. He did such a good job on the driveway fence and gates, I've shown him a picture and leaving him too it.

I only had 4 hours sleep last night as I was worrying over spending a lot more on fire than planned... so up early, gym session and class done, sofa cushions scrubbed as have seemed grubby since storage .. I expect to crash later
    zero personal cc
    2500 on DD1s car cc
    • Moneyfordreams
    • By Moneyfordreams 29th Jul 18, 9:26 AM
    • 1,068 Posts
    • 5,217 Thanks
    Moneyfordreams
    Trellis looks amazing to us, I hope it does to next door too seen as it was their suggestion At least that's one job finished !!!8230; the back garden

On hold really to see what tomorrow brings from the builders/glazers company, I really want to spend this money wisely , but I also know I get impatient. Last night sitting alone after OH went to work I was feeling unsettled and exposed in our sitting room. I put up the curtains I bought a month ago for a tenner from the charity shop. they are OK, only just fit but OK for now that will stop me splurging on a LauraAshley sale or a trip to Ikea !!!8230; After painting earlier in the week we have ground to a halt again A parcel arrived yesterday I need to pick up from the post office, I'm hoping its the bedroom wallpaper. Once the wallpaper is up we would only need new curtains and carpet to make the room look amazing. OH can still get carpets for cost. I may try to source new curtains from charity shop again

All dressed for exercise but don't feel like leaving the house. I think I will do some weights and core at home then pick up a paint brush in the living room...
    zero personal cc
    2500 on DD1s car cc
    • Moneyfordreams
    • By Moneyfordreams 31st Jul 18, 9:49 AM
    • 1,068 Posts
    • 5,217 Thanks
    Moneyfordreams
    Sunday ended up being a day of the bay.... but buying not selling... I won an auction for bedroom curtains originally from nxt!!!8230; 24.00 they look amazing in in the pictures so hopefully they will be great on arrival. I ordered a hand held upholstery/carpet cleaner for 19.99.... I've since received an email to say this was from a rogue account and need to raise a claim for non-received goods

Glazing company and fireplace company both came yesterday.. So before I move ahead with anything I need the glazing quote, I'm keeping fingers crossed for under 7k because thats how much we have. Although they have a 4 week wait so I could include next months salary if it's just out of reach The last doors fitted through this company were 3200, then reduced by 400 as we didn't need the lintel. At that time there was a qote to brick up a doorway for 400 that we didn't go for in the end. The glass would be 1 metre wider , plus knocking down a wall... Can you see I'm talking myself into it being affordable
    zero personal cc
    2500 on DD1s car cc
    • Moneyfordreams
    • By Moneyfordreams 5th Aug 18, 11:59 AM
    • 1,068 Posts
    • 5,217 Thanks
    Moneyfordreams
    The excitement of the beginning of the week has stalled as glazing company not yet sorted out quote. My DH phoned them and apparently they are waiting from a 3rd party quote.

Lauraashley wallpaper has arrived but it is still packaged. we will finish stripping bedroom this week hope

I'm still pending the refund for rogue trader, but at least it says pending.

We've done 3 small shops totalling <60 this week whic is pretty much our standard weekly amount.

Gym at least 3 times a week since April... still not sorted out my diet as I'm not losing weight, just the mental shift of feeling great... must be because I dont have a full length mirror
    zero personal cc
    2500 on DD1s car cc
    • Moneyfordreams
    • By Moneyfordreams 7th Aug 18, 2:21 PM
    • 1,068 Posts
    • 5,217 Thanks
    Moneyfordreams
    Window/door/wall quote was 2k over what I have/wanted to pay I'm in a quandary... save up for a couple of months, or DH's friend. now DH friend came today and put the fear of god into me talking about structural needs and surveyor and never being able to sell the house if a bad job was done... he said with the right drawings and weights from structural engineer he would be able to do the work we want at a couple grand less... he is a good builder and has built his own home....

So Dh almost runs to the blinking S.E. before I've even got my kn!ckers out of the twist. By then I am thinking of the cheaper and easier option of just taking the internal wall down.... so he is cross with me that I questioned the need to book someone to come and do drawings and spend an extra 500 plus when builder friend said he had the info for the internal stuff....

He's quite good at spending money

Yesterday we took my diamond ring to the jewellers to sell. It cost $3000 in NYC 7 years ago. never wear it as each time I have a diamond falls out. I've always been lucky enough to find them however it was just wasted. So we got 370. Dh says 330 towards our trip south for my sisters party. The other 40 got swallowed up by city spending, I'd already given DH 50 ( 10 fares) This am we had 20 left in coins.... after buying breakfast stuff earlier there was 13 which I spent in HB for white spirit , paint brushes, drain covers... OH had a bit of a face on I asked for it back
    zero personal cc
    2500 on DD1s car cc
    • Moneyfordreams
    • By Moneyfordreams 7th Aug 18, 8:12 PM
    • 1,068 Posts
    • 5,217 Thanks
    Moneyfordreams
    MOT and service 176 !!!8230; phew
    It reassures us we can drive 600 miles next weekend for sisters party. We are taking DD1 and GD .

OH looked really happy this teatime to finish steaming off the bedroom wallpaper working of his frustrations

DD2 is away for a few days with the care home she works with... yay to less showers and food.

Food for July was 220 for the 3 of us that includes toiletries and cleaning products , and alcohol if I buy it.

I do sometimes wonder how my OH did manual work for so long. last week he put up a coat hook rack on a door ( 1920's panelling) he managed to put it half and half onto the door shape rather than the obvious across the central panel. Today he was putting on drain covers upside down
    zero personal cc
    2500 on DD1s car cc
    • Moneyfordreams
    • By Moneyfordreams 8th Aug 18, 10:04 PM
    • 1,068 Posts
    • 5,217 Thanks
    Moneyfordreams
    Structural Engineer came today, he was amazing (so was his name but must not say in case it outs me ) ... Lovely chat if nothing else , he was here 2 hours !!!8230;.. my OH and his mates are more likely to leg it if I start talking about my wants or ideas that I have no building knowledge about

Anyhow, he informed us of all the potential structural ramifications and worries.... but he allowed me to ask all kinds of questions, and told us to get the drains fixed within a few years ( no need to remove old ones just divert , better and cheaper) .

He is going to do a few drawings then once I decide which design he will move forward with 3D designs.

Did go to gym 1st thing for weights class... and GD day for childcare... she is full on, not naughty.. just constant.. My ebay party dress is a little snug so I ordered another one which I won but is totally inappropriate .. at least it was only a fiver
    zero personal cc
    2500 on DD1s car cc
    • gallygirl
    • By gallygirl 9th Aug 18, 10:50 AM
    • 16,617 Posts
    • 109,748 Thanks
    gallygirl
    Structural Engineer came today, he was amazing (so was his name but must not say in case it outs me ) ... Lovely chat if nothing else , he was here 2 hours !!!8230;.. my OH and his mates are more likely to leg it if I start talking about my wants or ideas that I have no building knowledge about

Anyhow, he informed us of all the potential structural ramifications and worries.... but he allowed me to ask all kinds of questions, and told us to get the drains fixed within a few years ( no need to remove old ones just divert , better and cheaper) .
    Originally posted by Moneyfordreams
    Sounds positive . I always tell builders what I want doing and when they say it can't be done I shrug my shoulders and say I want it doing anyway. Amazingly they always find a way, I now equate 'can't be done' with 'a bit hard, I'd have to use my brain and can't be *rsed'!
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    Mortgage Balance = 0
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
    • Moneyfordreams
    • By Moneyfordreams 11th Aug 18, 6:58 PM
    • 1,068 Posts
    • 5,217 Thanks
    Moneyfordreams
    That's true GG, the engineer said everything can be done for a price

I'm back on night shifts and after poor sleep yesterday I "treated" myself to some nightnurse today and feel completely dopey... 9 hours sleep today... I think I've been carb loading since I got up which hasn't given me any energy at all.... My planned trip to the gym has fallen off, and I can barely pick up weights here. I'm sure I'll be grateful at 4am...

I've ordered a couple of cheaper dresses for party next weekend which have been failures and a waste of money so I've bitten the bullet and ordered 2 dresses from JLewis on line , both on sale, onw 50% off and the other 66% reduced. I waiting for them to arrived. I am hoping to send one back but i'm never very good at that

Eating from the freezer , lasst nights food was vegetable and lentil spicey mush... think tonight OH has bought me a reduced price ready meal
    zero personal cc
    2500 on DD1s car cc
    • greent
    • By greent 12th Aug 18, 9:07 PM
    • 7,232 Posts
    • 73,501 Thanks
    greent
    Hopefully (in the nicest way) - one dress will look much better on than the other - so then you won't mind sending the other one back to JL
    x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 124616 01/10 104927 01/11 89873 01/12 76317 01/13 52546 01/14 35356 01/15 12133 07/15 NIL
    BTL Mtge 12/16 69786. 2018 OPs (#18) 3290.25/4000
    Net sales 2018 613.49/1000 PAYDOX18 (#15) Done 18918.90
    • Moneyfordreams
    • By Moneyfordreams 16th Aug 18, 3:42 PM
    • 1,068 Posts
    • 5,217 Thanks
    Moneyfordreams
    Oh no greent!!!8230; they both look great OH want me to were the long slinky one !!!8230; I like the knee length one... I'm still a dress size or 2 (or 3) over what I should be , but exercising so much has changed my body shape a bit and made me feel fabulous , so I don't care as much for being larger than I want IYSWIM
    zero personal cc
    2500 on DD1s car cc
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

144Posts Today

1,192Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin