Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Moneyfordreams
    • By Moneyfordreams 5th Nov 15, 11:32 AM
    • 945Posts
    • 4,663Thanks
    Moneyfordreams
    In the nick of time
    • 5th Nov 15, 11:32 AM
    In the nick of time 5th Nov 15 at 11:32 AM
    Hello,
    I been reading debt free diaries and mortgage free diaries since the summer and I have been hugely inspired and reassured my dreams are achievable.

My husband was significantly in debt until 2 1/2 years ago through a failing business during the recession. Due to having equity in our home I was able (had to) to re-mortgage and pay off the debts. that's the simple version anyway.

During the time when my husbands income was negligible we had a lodger. Unfortunately those basement rooms require about 5K worth of work and are currently unlettable. I hope either to save this money by the spring, or maybe withdraw some capital from my husbands small pensions. He gets about £200 pcm plus £800 wage. He has his own debt to pay until June next year, then I gain £120 to go towards the mortgage.

I have a fairly good job and have always worked extra hours. My husband is working in a job on minimum wage. After many money related traumas and battles our relationship is fantastic.

My aim is to retire at 55 if I can. I am going to go hell for leather to make this happen. We trimmed our expenses years ago. We have the occasional slip up and overspend in fact this year has been an overspend on some big items whist shopping at lld1.

We have recently registered with airbnb to increase our income and may soon break even from initial outlay.

Sold house March 2018

Savings
    Rainy day £2000

Short term goals
    Buy new home, pay down mortgage to < £100k by end of fixed deal June 2019

KEY DATES
    Can access work pension 2025 (55 years)
    Have very small £2k private pension to close 2025
    DH state pension 2026, plus current pension of £200 pcm
    DH shares can be accessed from June 2020 and 2021but aim to cash them 2025
    my state pension 2037
    Official mortgage end 2030

http://www.whatsthecost.com/snowball.aspx
    Last edited by Moneyfordreams; 29-03-2018 at 12:10 PM. Reason: to add link
Page 31
    • Moneyfordreams
    • By Moneyfordreams 17th Apr 18, 1:35 PM
    • 945 Posts
    • 4,663 Thanks
    Moneyfordreams
    Urgh not a great start to the week. was feeling a bit ropey yesterday, did manage to play 3 games of crown green bowls with other half and won 2 of them.

But I'm still pleading with DD2 to get passport sorted. her friend got one in 2 weeks why shouldn't she.. GRRR I've been so worried about her not sorting it... according to holiday website we have 24 days before departure... So I've just lost my temper... it's like some childish power trip she holds over us... see who will break first.. Well I did She now says she doesn't want to go.. I said I wished she bl00dy well told us that in November , She should pay us back the money I have wasted plus the phone bill from the last 2 months that she hasn't been bothered to pay (I was letting her off to pay for her passport)

I just wish I hadn't booked the flipping thing, this am in haste to book seats on the flight, there where none together left (even for a 4 year old). So I booked aisle seats as close together as possible and felt awful (plus another £112)

Anyhow a bit more thought I realised there are more than 16 rows to an aircraft and scrolled down the page to find seats we could book costing an extra £50. the company passed me from A to B then I was cut off.... I was so worried I just paid the money to get the seats and I will try later to get the £50 refunded. I will definitely not be booking holiday insurance for us through the company. £97 when moneysu9ermarket is £21... Was going to try for a merecat one if they still have them although gocom@re is slightly dearer.

Did wait for DD2 for 3 hours this am to go the gym. I wonder why at being 6months off 21 years of age she hasn't grown up.
    MORTGAGE FREE (but homeless) hopefully not homelessfor long
    • Moneyfordreams
    • By Moneyfordreams 17th Apr 18, 4:34 PM
    • 945 Posts
    • 4,663 Thanks
    Moneyfordreams
    It's got worse. I checked Vodafone app. Her phone bill on my contract is £211 . I couldn't pick my jaw up. She says she will pay it but this is all data she has 15gb . She blaming me for moving house
    • Moneyfordreams
    • By Moneyfordreams 17th Apr 18, 7:49 PM
    • 945 Posts
    • 4,663 Thanks
    Moneyfordreams
    To put a positive spin on things exercise has been great and binge watching Grace and Frankie on netflix. Steps for month so far 160127 (Samsung health)
    • shangaijimmy
    • By shangaijimmy 17th Apr 18, 8:12 PM
    • 2,704 Posts
    • 13,340 Thanks
    shangaijimmy
    Ouch to your tough weeks, but well done for resilience and perseverance!
    MFW: Turning June 2036 into March 2025... 38//120 Payments Challenge, Diary Reduction £40,984.38
    Aug 2009: £163,051 // Current: £95,015.63 // Avg Daily Interest £4.27
    MFiT-T4 #8 - 74.24% of £41,000
    • Moneyfordreams
    • By Moneyfordreams 19th Apr 18, 8:09 AM
    • 945 Posts
    • 4,663 Thanks
    Moneyfordreams
    Thanks SJ. Resilience broke a little bit yesterday when I recieved an email from solicitors to say they will get back to me when they have info. That was at 12 ish. So 4pm I phoned and left a message asking what was going on. Sellers solicitor not replying haven't exchanged. My solicitors building is closed today for training day. Therefore nothing can be done until Friday which means if exchange happens then, we will be unlikely to complete Monday. This was 5 to 5pm. Sobbed to estate agents ,who did ring back after speaking to Mr who says, delay was exMrs wanting more money from sale which he has now agreed to. However, this will be in email to his solicitors prior to reaching mine on Friday.

Clear head and thinking positively now is I'm keeping fingers crossed for Monday. But if not Tuesday if that was the cause . Thankfully no One is booked into rooms here next week. I'm back working days from next Thursday so no time to move if it doesn't happen early in the week
    • Moneyfordreams
    • By Moneyfordreams 20th Apr 18, 6:15 PM
    • 945 Posts
    • 4,663 Thanks
    Moneyfordreams
    I'm positive we are not moving early next week

We are caught in a 7 year war. (Dramatic) however the upshot is an ultimatum.

I wonder if I've not only shot us in the feet but the knee caps too. Anyhow working nights so have to just get on with it.

My boss wants to give me more responsibility. Recent work niggles mustn't have been as worrisome as I thought. No extra pay just the hassle .
    • CathT
    • By CathT 21st Apr 18, 10:08 PM
    • 5,542 Posts
    • 38,646 Thanks
    CathT
    Wow youve got a lot going on. Hope you complete on the house very soon and will feel more settled once youre in.
    May 2018 -
    part 1 - £77,906
    part 2 - £45,391
    Total - £123,297
    • shangaijimmy
    • By shangaijimmy 22nd Apr 18, 7:50 AM
    • 2,704 Posts
    • 13,340 Thanks
    shangaijimmy
    The move will sort itself out. Unfortunately house buying tends to be a dreadful experience for the majority of people. Hopefully it will be a distant memory when you're surrounded by boxes wondering which one to unpack next and is it in the right room!

As for work, more responsibility, same pay...say no!
    MFW: Turning June 2036 into March 2025... 38//120 Payments Challenge, Diary Reduction £40,984.38
    Aug 2009: £163,051 // Current: £95,015.63 // Avg Daily Interest £4.27
    MFiT-T4 #8 - 74.24% of £41,000
    • greent
    • By greent 22nd Apr 18, 9:57 AM
    • 7,008 Posts
    • 71,546 Thanks
    greent
    Fingers crossed it all resolves itself soon. I get so annoyed with someone in the chain when they start messing around last minute - it's so unfair. xx
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2018 OPs (#18) £877.49/£4000
    Net sales 2018 £491.03/£1000 PAYDOX18 (#15) £13869.38/£18694.38
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 22nd Apr 18, 7:04 PM
    • 2,771 Posts
    • 22,925 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Hi Moneyfordreams. Your posts are taking me right back to this time last year when we were in exactly your position. Waiting to exchange, encountering delays, worrying about our buyers, worrying about our seller. It was all worth it in the end ... although I wouldn't want to go through it again anytime soon.

Fingers crossed for you

Fortune x
    Mortgage: 5% paid Overpayments: 592.38 Emergency Fund: 61%

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us - J R R Tolkein
    • Moneyfordreams
    • By Moneyfordreams 25th Apr 18, 8:16 AM
    • 945 Posts
    • 4,663 Thanks
    Moneyfordreams
    Thanks All,

One of my worries is we go on holiday on 11th May, so not much time, although loads if you think I work 3 long days a week... however they will be squashed together with alternate days off. and no further wiggle room for A/L those weeks. We booked the holiday in November before the house went on the market... we didn't expect the house to sell so quickly We do want a home to come back to (midnight a week later) and I actually need my summer clothes from heaven knows where

Still waiting to hear a date. All paperwork for our purchase present and correct.. no we need to consider the Mr's purchase as he is the one leaving the property. He was moving to any empty residence so hopefully it will be close , he however, works nights too and is quite rigid ... Oh yeah... DD2s passport will be delivered there today (facepalm) .

Babysitting day today she is tiresome (sorry) but 10 hours of bouncing around in a tiny space and bad weather !!!!py.. OH has a eye test this am, free with his work and cheap supermarket glasses too... that is if he doesn't lose then like the last lot. Just had a thought , will he expect me to pay or will it come out of the £500 i gave him weeks ago

I'm still going great with exercise, but diet not so great at home.. its fab in work wine Monday , extra choc bar slice of toast and crisps yesterday. no wonder I've only lost 0.5kg... but I do feel I have shrunk and toned, and my face slimmed , and feel amazing mostly

Now if we could just sort out the house
    • Moneyfordreams
    • By Moneyfordreams 28th Apr 18, 7:56 AM
    • 945 Posts
    • 4,663 Thanks
    Moneyfordreams
    No exciting news to report. I can't really see the wood for the trees. My days off next week are Monday Wednesday and Thursday. I feel I've been left in the dark a bit as I managed to speak to my solicitor on Thursday who said the sellers solicitors were not returning calls, "All week, hourly. "
    So I was hoping for happy news yesterday and trying (badly) not to be emotional, left message at my solicitor at 3pm. And at 4pm phoned estate agents. The estate agent was worried she'd be breaking confidence but she did there had been a flurry of calls all day without resolution. The sellers at the top , the Mr's new place were told by there solicitors they can book a holiday and leave their furniture behind until end of May. They dont live there. Half the stuff is going to charity shop and other half to be picked up after their hol. I said are you bleeping kidding me??? Furniture is more important to humans?? The I apologised for swearing as I appreciate all the staff are currently trying to do. I said they could use our storage we have to pay for it from the 1st and then get refund if we don't use it all month. I will pay for man and van to bring it there. So £150 for reduced stress. Anyhow I left this with the agent. My seller has been left skint by his ex. He has said he will keep there furniture for them too. He is delivering passport slip to estate agents.

About 15 mins later I got a call from my solicitors work experience girl I'd never spoken to before , (sorry) who told me they would get back to me on Monday when they had some information. So I repeated the conversation I had had with estate agent and reminded them that a person is much better kept informed than left in the dark.

This is the first time I am disappointed with my solicitor

I am waiting for gym to open at 9 so I can work up some endorphins. I went to bed early after work yesterday but had a poor sleep. I'm blinking exhausted by it all.

Oh and my car needs repair , engine light on for last few days . Booked in for Monday
    • Moneyfordreams
    • By Moneyfordreams 2nd May 18, 10:03 PM
    • 945 Posts
    • 4,663 Thanks
    Moneyfordreams
    minor house news of potential completion date of 21st May... although not confirmed. I did say no to this last week and on Monday, but today I've given in. 21st is better than no date...
    • brizzlegirl
    • By brizzlegirl 3rd May 18, 7:58 AM
    • 208 Posts
    • 1,248 Thanks
    brizzlegirl
    Oh god MfD..this sounds terrible. You must feel exhausted and drained and will probably spend your holiday worrying and trying too communicate with advisers and agents who dont know anything either.

Do try and keep up the exercise if you can. Seems like a ray of light for you anyway and at least youre keeping healthy

Thinking of you

Brizzle x
    MFW..aiming to pay it off in 2022.. 2018 Savings Rate - Goal 25% [25.2% March 13% April ] Income Goal £56/£750 May Goals: AFDs xx/15; Declutter 60 items xx/60; LSDs xx/10; NSDs xx/10 Exercise xx/30 Aiming to be a true Frugalista!
    • Moneyfordreams
    • By Moneyfordreams 3rd May 18, 6:08 PM
    • 945 Posts
    • 4,663 Thanks
    Moneyfordreams
    ah thank you brizzlegirl, it has been exhausting (i'm sure no more than others) however to us its humungous , we need to find somewhere to stay when we return from holiday 4 4 nights. .I'm hoping my sister will agree. we have a function the 2nd night , so would love a bit of stability. I have spent £500 on holiday clothes shopping.. for 3 of us..... for the last time I swear........

I'm adding the above costs to the house move costs.
    • Busy Mee1
    • By Busy Mee1 4th May 18, 2:44 AM
    • 597 Posts
    • 2,698 Thanks
    Busy Mee1
    Hi Moneyford - just hang on to the knowledge that in a month this will all be over and you will be settled in your new home. Moving house is by far one of the most stressful things you can do......it is the lack of control that causes it, for things that you think would be easily controlled.

Go away on holiday and enjoy yourself - it will be all systems go when you get back.
    • Moneyfordreams
    • By Moneyfordreams 20th May 18, 7:44 PM
    • 945 Posts
    • 4,663 Thanks
    Moneyfordreams
    Yes Busy Mee1, nearly over... move date currently 22nd May, so Tuesday... It turns out the local business man we beat to the house was someone we know fairly well, friendly but not super close , he sold his business last year for squillions and bought the lottery house with a pool . He was buying it for his step daughter.. to rent to her

Holiday was hit and miss as our daughters fell out and we spent 50-50 time with each of them. younger daughter moved into our room. (24 and 20) they should have known better... but at least our DGD had a blast and we will never do it again..

Glad to be back to almost normal. New mortgage Tuesday, then it will be mortgage busting. I will have to get utilities, Sky , BBand all reset... I can't wait

I have been so happy today at my sisters to do 4 loads of machine washing and line dry. hand washing in the hotel was a pain towards the end. The downside to staying in her place since our return is her bed is so uncomfortable. Nealy bought a mattress topper but OH did talk me out of it. Did buy a couple of pillows though. She has duck down and the pillow crunches under me as I try to sleep. have put the bedspread under the duvet to stop the feel of that too. The good thing about staying in my sisters is its free, and she is in the middle east
    • greent
    • By greent 21st May 18, 2:22 PM
    • 7,008 Posts
    • 71,546 Thanks
    greent
    Hope all goes well tomorrow x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2018 OPs (#18) £877.49/£4000
    Net sales 2018 £491.03/£1000 PAYDOX18 (#15) £13869.38/£18694.38
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,604Posts Today

8,349Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin