Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • blackcloud
    • By blackcloud 4th Nov 15, 12:42 AM
    • 377Posts
    • 10Thanks
    blackcloud
    How to make carvery beef at home?
    • 4th Nov 15, 12:42 AM
    How to make carvery beef at home? 4th Nov 15 at 12:42 AM
    Hello all,

Does anyone know how I would make carvery beef like the type of beef you get a Toby Carvery or the carvery beef you get with Sunday Pub Lunches? ie what type of beef, how to cook etc?

Hope someone can help!
Page 1
    • redfox
    • By redfox 4th Nov 15, 6:27 AM
    • 14,118 Posts
    • 37,931 Thanks
    redfox
    • 4th Nov 15, 6:27 AM
    • 4th Nov 15, 6:27 AM
    we move threads if we think they’ll get more help elsewhere (please read the forum rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board. If you have any questions about this policy please email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Quick Grabbit, Food Shopping & Groceries, Shop but don't drop, Loans and Cutting Tax boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• HappyMJ
    • By HappyMJ 4th Nov 15, 6:38 AM
    • 20,595 Posts
    • 17,201 Thanks
    HappyMJ
    • 4th Nov 15, 6:38 AM
    • 4th Nov 15, 6:38 AM
    Hello all,

Does anyone know how I would make carvery beef like the type of beef you get a Toby Carvery or the carvery beef you get with Sunday Pub Lunches? ie what type of beef, how to cook etc?

Hope someone can help!
    Originally posted by blackcloud
    The joint TC uses is big. You can get a big joint too but you'll be eating beef sandwiches for weeks. Go to your local butcher and ask for a beef joint for a Sunday dinner for 20 people (it's around 5kg of meat and should cost around £50) and you'll get a joint similar to TC's beef joint.

Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money.
    • catwoman73
    • By catwoman73 4th Nov 15, 8:55 AM
    • 440 Posts
    • 523 Thanks
    catwoman73
    • 4th Nov 15, 8:55 AM
    • 4th Nov 15, 8:55 AM
    The meat in Toby is slow cooked - topside and silverside are normally sold as roasting joints but they can be quite tough if not cooked correctly and I don't know if that's what Toby uses.

Maybe if you cook a big butcher's joint, like Happy suggests and cook it long and slow (several hours over stock and veg) at a lowish temperature, it will be similar. Not the same, but I often get brisket and slow cook it - it is lovely.

I slice and freeze leftover roast meat in meal sized portions and then heat it up in gravy while the roast potatoes are cooking - a significant time saving shortcut to a roast dinner.
    • force ten
    • By force ten 4th Nov 15, 11:02 PM
    • 1,761 Posts
    • 1,181 Thanks
    force ten
    • 4th Nov 15, 11:02 PM
    • 4th Nov 15, 11:02 PM
    the best cut of beef for a roast dinner is Rib of beef

buy it from your butcher on the bone and sit the beef on a trivet of halved unpeeled onions in a very hot oven 220 deg for first 20 minutes then drop to 180 deg and roast at 15-20 min per pound for rare 20-25 for medium take out cover and rest for 20-30 minutes before serving

unpeeled onions give nice flavour to the meat juice to make a great gravy
    • blackcloud
    • By blackcloud 12th Dec 15, 5:59 PM
    • 377 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    blackcloud
    • 12th Dec 15, 5:59 PM
    • 12th Dec 15, 5:59 PM
    thanks all, I bought some beef but it had so much fat, which beef can I buy that has the least amount of fat
    • meritaten
    • By meritaten 12th Dec 15, 6:10 PM
    • 23,092 Posts
    • 60,819 Thanks
    meritaten
    • 12th Dec 15, 6:10 PM
    • 12th Dec 15, 6:10 PM
    you do NOT want very lean beef for roasting. The fat is what gives the joint its flavour and stops it going tough. you can minimise the fat content of the finished roast by placing the joint on a wire rack inside the roasting pan. That way the fat will drip through and you can use as much or as little as you like for gravy.
    • blackcloud
    • By blackcloud 12th Dec 15, 6:15 PM
    • 377 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    blackcloud
    • 12th Dec 15, 6:15 PM
    • 12th Dec 15, 6:15 PM
    Thanks, just the last beef we had I cooked for an hour in the oven and it had so much fat it was impossible to even eat. I dont care about the flavour just want beef with no or very little fat, how do you think it would be best to cook it and how long to get rid of the fat.

how about Topside, is that the leanest beef
    • missbiggles1
    • By missbiggles1 12th Dec 15, 6:16 PM
    • 16,254 Posts
    • 30,257 Thanks
    missbiggles1
    • 12th Dec 15, 6:16 PM
    • 12th Dec 15, 6:16 PM
    thanks all, I bought some beef but it had so much fat, which beef can I buy that has the least amount of fat
    You need fat on a roasting joint if you want it to be succulent and moist, particularly the marbled internal fat. You can always cut external fat off when on the plate but don't buy very lean beef.

You also need to buy rib of beef and, if there are enough people or you enjoy left overs, buy a double rib.
    • missbiggles1
    • By missbiggles1 12th Dec 15, 6:19 PM
    • 16,254 Posts
    • 30,257 Thanks
    missbiggles1
    Thanks, just the last beef we had I cooked for an hour in the oven and it had so much fat it was impossible to even eat. I dont care about the flavour just want beef with no or very little fat, how do you think it would be best to cook it and how long to get rid of the fat.

how about Topside, is that the leanest beef
    In that case, I really wouldn't bother!

Neither topside not silverside are really roasting joints, they're better pot roasted.
    • blackcloud
    • By blackcloud 12th Dec 15, 6:21 PM
    • 377 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    blackcloud
    THAnks all, is topside leaner than silverside
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 12th Dec 15, 6:25 PM
    • 55,509 Posts
    • 642,666 Thanks
    bubbs
    and personally i would say an hour wasnt long enough unless it was a tiny joint, i cook chopped up beef for casserole longer
    When you buy it look and see if there is alot of fat on it, you can see through the package
    Last edited by bubbs; 12-12-2015 at 6:28 PM.
    Sealed pot challenge number 242 £350 for 2015, 2016 £400 Actual£345, £400 for 2017 Actual £500 £770 for 2018
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15
    :- 5 st 1 1/2lb
    • custardy
    • By custardy 12th Dec 15, 6:25 PM
    • 34,520 Posts
    • 29,252 Thanks
    custardy
    What a strange thread.
    • meritaten
    • By meritaten 12th Dec 15, 6:27 PM
    • 23,092 Posts
    • 60,819 Thanks
    meritaten
    I really don't get why someone wouldn't worry about flavour? is this a wind-up? isn't flavour the reason one has a 'roast dinner'?
    • blackcloud
    • By blackcloud 12th Dec 15, 6:32 PM
    • 377 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    blackcloud
    thanks bubbs, all I want is to get at home the type of carvery beef you get a Sunday diner carverys, but my first attempt had way too much fat to even eat but I'm going to try again.
    • Marktheshark
    • By Marktheshark 12th Dec 15, 6:32 PM
    • 5,692 Posts
    • 7,184 Thanks
    Marktheshark
    Salmon cut joint and soaked in very very slightly salted boiled water which has been cooled first, put the joint in the container pour the boiled cooled water over the joint.
    Cover the container with cling film and in the fridge for 2 days, then remove when required and place on a roasting pot, fast roasted in some of the water and real beef dripping lard is what many a carvery do.
    It drops from the fork.
    • blackcloud
    • By blackcloud 12th Dec 15, 7:14 PM
    • 377 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    blackcloud
    Thanks, I was thinking of getting a slow cooker, as if you cook beef in a pot or pan the water evaporates and you keep having to check on the beef, but someone told me if you get a slow cooker you never have to keep checking on the water evaporating? is that right?
    • missbiggles1
    • By missbiggles1 12th Dec 15, 7:50 PM
    • 16,254 Posts
    • 30,257 Thanks
    missbiggles1
    Thanks, I was thinking of getting a slow cooker, as if you cook beef in a pot or pan the water evaporates and you keep having to check on the beef, but someone told me if you get a slow cooker you never have to keep checking on the water evaporating? is that right?
    If you cook it in a slow cooker, it won't be roast beef.
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 12th Dec 15, 11:51 PM
    • 12,031 Posts
    • 32,202 Thanks
    suki1964
    Blackcloud

Two things give meat flavour - BONES AND FAT

if you have neither you have to add the flavour

Now Im assuming you want a nice soft bit of meat that doesnt need chewing, and carves easily without any gristle or white fatty bits?

Now if I was looking that id be looking a good bit of rump. Then id be coating it in a rub of english mustard powder and ground pepper

For us three at home Id only be buying a joint small enough for the three - with a bit of sandwich meat left over - perhaps a kilo

Now that small joint I wouldnt even give an hour in a very hot oven, but then we like our beef rare to mid

I give 30/40 mins, then take it out, wrap in foil and leave to rest whilst the rest of the dinner is cooking

When you say carvery beef, to me thats a good four or 5 rib roast - a different kettle of fish altogether ( the king of roasts)

Perhaps if you come back to us, explain how many you are cooking for, and what it is you are trying to achieve, you may get more help

But to say you dont care what it tastes like????!!!!!!!!!

If thats the case I have some old shoes here that may do you
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • force ten
    • By force ten 13th Dec 15, 12:13 AM
    • 1,761 Posts
    • 1,181 Thanks
    force ten
    What joint of beef was it that you bought?

topside is normally a lean joint of meat with very little marbling and no fat on the outside of the joint a lot of the supermarkets will add fat to topside by tying it on to help the joint when you roast it

for me topside or silverside are not the best roasting joints and will be a tough and possibly dry roast, but it is what many prefer as roast beef, nice red meat running with blood and no fat

for me the best beef is a properly dry age joint where the fat is yellowing and the meat is dry and going towards black, it may look gross but will make the best roast beef ever

sadly we eat with our eyes rather than our mouths, if we think it looks wrong we wont even try it
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

46Posts Today

3,417Users online

Martin's Twitter