Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • glass_half_full
    • By glass_half_full 3rd Nov 15, 10:23 AM
    • 256Posts
    • 652Thanks
    glass_half_full
    Help to keep me honest
    • 3rd Nov 15, 10:23 AM
    Help to keep me honest 3rd Nov 15 at 10:23 AM

Hi everyone,

I have been reading many of the diaries and posts on this forum and there are so many inspirational people and individual struggles going on out there. I have had my own light bulb moment a couple of months ago when I realised that we have been living beyond our means for a while now, and I have been kind of in denial about this. Our unsecured debt had reached £17,420 . I am married and have a 17 year old son who is about to go to University in September 2016 and we will need money to support him also. About four years ago I changed career and took a significant drop in income, this was to try to find a better work life balance. My wife has a long term condition which means that occasionally she can get quite ill and exhausted and me being away all the time wasnít really sustainable. Anyway, we did try to adapt to the lower income but in the end our spending exceeded our income. We had a special holiday a couple of years ago, to be honest because I wasnít sure what the future held at that point. Some of the debt originated then. In the last couple of months, I have followed some of the advice and developed a detailed budget using YNAB, and I have cut back in many areas to the point where I can see the way forward to paying off this debt. But I realise that this is a change for life, and I need to keep honest. Occasionally, recently I still found myself kidding myself buying the odd thing on the credit card and ignoring the spend. So my aim with this diary is to post as regularly as I possibly can and record as honestly as I can what I am doing. I feel I need this community to keep going on this journey, since I know the pressure I will come under to spend, even if that pressure is coming from me!

Total unsecured debt - £1,445 - Debt free Target June 2018
Page 10
    • glass_half_full
    • By glass_half_full 24th Feb 18, 8:04 AM
    • 256 Posts
    • 652 Thanks
    glass_half_full
    Good morning diary and all,
    I havenít mentioned it before, but I teach in a University. This week, starting on Thursday I have been on strike for the first time in my working life. The strike is over pension changes being imposed, not negotiated by Universities. The impact will be a reduction of approx.. £10,000 per annum. It has been a really difficult decision, I care very much about my students and I have a son at Uni and I understand that this is disrupting their education. I wont go into it too much as this isnít the place and besides there will be many different views. Anyway, it could last 14 days and the impact will be approx. £1000 on my income in March if it does. Thus. the debt repayment date has gone back a month or two! I sincerely hope it is called off, there are talks on Tuesday next week so fingers crossed.
    Talking of DS, he is home for the weekend and its really nice to see him. We spent some time together yesterday, he taught me a card game.
    Have a great day all!
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 24th Feb 18, 8:57 AM
    • 1,787 Posts
    • 10,711 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Ah when I went to the museum yesterday with my DGS it is next to the local university, we saw people with placards , wondered what it was about , now I know.

Sorry to hear this , especially when you are so near the finish line . However your pension is worth fighting for. Will you not get help from your union for salary lost . I know my union has a hardship fund.
    CC1 £3655 April 2018.
    • glass_half_full
    • By glass_half_full 25th Feb 18, 8:45 PM
    • 256 Posts
    • 652 Thanks
    glass_half_full
    Hi Cumbria,
    There is a strike fund, the priority being for those on low pay or insecure contracts. I wouldnt claim against this, at this stage I am prepared for this if is the price of supporting the action. I hope it gets resolved before the 14 days are up though.
    Last edited by glass_half_full; 25-02-2018 at 8:46 PM. Reason: typo
    • glass_half_full
    • By glass_half_full 28th Feb 18, 7:46 AM
    • 256 Posts
    • 652 Thanks
    glass_half_full
    Need to get my thoughts down here. Today is day 5 of the strike. Back to work tomorrow. Yesterday the Union and the employers met in London and agreed to talks mediated by ACAS. The employers have agreed to negotiate the changes to the pension scheme, this is a move on their part. At the moment the action continues, I hope it is called off soon. The weather is perishing. We are a bit concerned about the forecast since we are hoping to attend a concert that my son is playing tomorrow evening, it may not be practical to get there, we will see.
    Money matters have been thrown a bit into disarray. Iím not quite sure the impact of the strike, it will be between £400 - £1000 on take home pay at the end of March depending on how long it goes on. Also, I have a repair on the car, some work recommended at the MOT last July, I have been holding off aiming for when we were out of debt, which should be now. Should be getting a quote today. We are also planning to spend some money redecorating in the early summer, starting in June. We could delay this, but we are thinking about getting someone in to do the hallway, landing and stairs. I donít think I can do this myself or at least not at a good standard or safely with the stair well. The person we want is hard to get and we have him booked for first week in June. Heís not cheap but the results are really good and last.
    So as a result the planned repayments are as follows. These will all go out in the first week of the month.
    March - £515
    April - £415
    May - £690
    June - £900
    July £430
    So new DFD is now first week July.
    Have a great day all.
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 11th Mar 18, 6:11 PM
    • 1,787 Posts
    • 10,711 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    How are things going for you ? Do you think your plan above will work?
    CC1 £3655 April 2018.
    • glass_half_full
    • By glass_half_full 23rd Mar 18, 7:20 AM
    • 256 Posts
    • 652 Thanks
    glass_half_full
    Hi Cumbria,
    Havenít posted in a while. I was more than a bit disappointed to miss the debt free date of February or March. I lost £400 in March salary due to the strike. Now the poor old car has needed some treatment. New brake pads for the front brakes (£90). Then the job that was identified at the last MOT has been estimated at £260. Nonetheless, it should be possible to clear the debt by June/July.
    Today I am travelling with DS to a gig on the south coast where he is drumming. Good experience for him. I need to go an collect him later and then we need to pack the car and set off late afternoon.
    Debt clearance plan
    March - £515 (actual £415)
    April - £415 (actual £415)
    May - £690
    June - £900
    July £430
    A group of us at work have entered a 10K. Its good to be doing something a bit different together.
    I have some time off over Easter, looking forward to it.
    Have a great day all!
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 23rd Mar 18, 7:33 AM
    • 1,787 Posts
    • 10,711 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Great to hear from you , have a good weekend with your DS .

The plan sounds like it will happen, I think the first thing you may be saving for is a car .

Enjoy the Easter Break.
    CC1 £3655 April 2018.
    • glass_half_full
    • By glass_half_full 7th Apr 18, 10:36 AM
    • 256 Posts
    • 652 Thanks
    glass_half_full
    Need to take stock of where I am this morning. We have had quite a busy Easter as this week we have had DS and his GF staying with us. Then my brother and his family visited us for a couple of days from abroad. They stayed in a nearby b&b since they have 3 children so we canít accommodate them all. It was really nice to see them since DS and GF spent time with them last summer. They have now returned home, DS is now staying with his GF and so the house is very quiet again!
    We have spent some money this week although I had budgeted for it so it was ok. There have been a few unplanned expenses, the cat got sick and needed some injections at the vet so that cost £65. So far this year I have only made the loan repayment of £415 in January, February and March despite plans for overpayment. So now focused on paying off the remaining £2,120 hopefully in three remaining monthly repayments.
    • glass_half_full
    • By glass_half_full 14th Apr 18, 10:07 AM
    • 256 Posts
    • 652 Thanks
    glass_half_full
    its actually stopped raining and I can see the sun shining! Taking stock a bit this morning. The car cost £100 instead of £260 as estimated because the problem was simpler than they thought it would be to fix, nice for it to go in the right direction for once! I can feel that we have relaxed the purse strings recently as the debt free date approaches. Need to stay focused. Once debt free we should be able to save each month, need to make sure that we dont end up spending that money instead. I think the way to do that will be to budget that money and treat it as spent.
    Going for a run later this morning, the 10K is only 3 weeks away.
    Have a great day all!
    Last edited by glass_half_full; 14-04-2018 at 10:07 AM. Reason: typo
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 15th Apr 18, 9:07 AM
    • 1,787 Posts
    • 10,711 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Good news on the car front. I think it would be easy to start spending your money that you have used for debt repayment once you are debt free.

However you did have some plans for the money I seem to remember so some spending may be inevitable.

Hope the training is going well .
    CC1 £3655 April 2018.
    • glass_half_full
    • By glass_half_full 25th Apr 18, 7:08 AM
    • 256 Posts
    • 652 Thanks
    glass_half_full
    Finally made it to pay day! Making a payment of £673 so reduces debt to £1445. Should be just two more payments to go so finishing in two months time.
    Looks like a lovely sunny day today!
    • glass_half_full
    • By glass_half_full 3rd May 18, 10:30 AM
    • 256 Posts
    • 652 Thanks
    glass_half_full
    Dear diary and all,
    I suspected that spending had been creeping up a bit and indeed looking at my budget I can see that this has been the case. Looking at YNAB our discretionary spend categories averaged around £1600 per month for the 10 months up to March this year. In April we spent £2,000 so up by 25%. Also debt overpayments stopped in February and March. We have managed to pull things back a bit and this month made a payment of £673.
    We have been talking about how we will spend the extra money that will be available once the debt is gone and I need to reign this in a bit otherwise there will be pressure to spend money we donít have. I need to maintain the mindset I have developed over the last couple of years.
    Still hopeful about the promotion and pay rise coming through, should find out in the next couple of months. I am aiming to put 50% of it into the pension and use 50% to allow us to so some of the things we have put off for so long.
    Going to see DS perform in a concert this evening, should be fun!
    Have a great day all.
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 3rd May 18, 7:35 PM
    • 1,787 Posts
    • 10,711 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    All still looking good on all fronts. Am sure you will be wise with your spending after an initial splurge .
    CC1 £3655 April 2018.
    • glass_half_full
    • By glass_half_full 12th May 18, 8:35 AM
    • 256 Posts
    • 652 Thanks
    glass_half_full
    All still looking good on all fronts. Am sure you will be wise with your spending after an initial splurge .
    Originally posted by Cumbria lass
    Thanks Cumbria, I hope you are right!
    • glass_half_full
    • By glass_half_full 12th May 18, 8:38 AM
    • 256 Posts
    • 652 Thanks
    glass_half_full
    Dear diary and all,
    I got some great news this week, I found out that my promotion has gone through! One of the senior managers came to see me in person which was a really nice touch. It was a long process which started last November, and to be honest I couldnít quite believe it had happened, its still sinking in. It is effective 1st August so should see the difference from the end of August onwards. I have spoken to OH and we are going to split it 50% extra pension contributions and 50% as income.
    Have a great day all!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

436Posts Today

5,104Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin