Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Upsidedown Bear
    • By Upsidedown Bear 29th Oct 15, 2:22 PM
    • 16,031Posts
    • 77,876Thanks
    Upsidedown Bear
    The Alphabetty Happy Chatty thread
    • 29th Oct 15, 2:22 PM
    The Alphabetty Happy Chatty thread 29th Oct 15 at 2:22 PM
    Hello lovely alphabettys old and new and welcome to the new Alphabetty thread

Everyone is welcome whether or not you have previously posted
    We are very friendly so please say hello

Page 576
    • Sleazy
    • By Sleazy 12th Jul 18, 7:55 AM
    • 11,641 Posts
    • 21,375 Thanks
    Sleazy
    (Very small nag)

Youve been pretty ok in my opinion Pyxis, unlike the author of this post!
    My real diet starts now - on the wagon for the rest of this month at least. When Mme. goes away on the 30th, we'll see. But not before.

Scrambled eggs this morning. Tonight will have more of the mushroom mince I cooked yesterday with a naan bread. Potatoes? Perhaps ....

Feel a lot better today after my fall yesterday, although head now hurting. But don't think they're connected ... fingers moving better today.

Think you were probably correct about the Ulnar nerve, Pyxis. I'd never heard of it but looked it up and what I was feeling came up as symptoms. As it's settled down, I will avoid going for medical advice ....

Don't forget my own required nags please! I have no excuse now and 6 - 7 weeks until the end of August.

I need reminding ......

I'd rather be eccentric than egocentric

Earl Of The Alphabetty
    Pearls Of Wisdom Dispensed Freely
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 12th Jul 18, 8:06 AM
    • 38,730 Posts
    • 143,240 Thanks
    Pyxis
    (Very small nag)

Youve been pretty ok in my opinion Pyxis, unlike the author of this post!
    My real diet starts now - on the wagon for the rest of this month at least. When Mme. goes away on the 30th, we'll see. But not before.

Scrambled eggs this morning. Tonight will have more of the mushroom mince I cooked yesterday with a naan bread. Potatoes? Perhaps ....

Feel a lot better today after my fall yesterday, although head now hurting. But don't think they're connected ... fingers moving better today.

Think you were probably correct about the Ulnar nerve, Pyxis. I'd never heard of it but looked it up and what I was feeling came up as symptoms. As it's settled down, I will avoid going for medical advice ....

Don't forget my own required nags please! I have no excuse now and 6 - 7 weeks until the end of August.

I need reminding ......
    Originally posted by Sleazy
    Re. The ulnar nerve....yes, it should all settle down, but if there's any sensation changes (paraesthesiae) remaining after two or three weeks, it would be a good idea to get it checked out, in case there's something pressing on the nerve.

Re. my nags, I'm just annoyed that I've lost my mojo, iyswim, my mindset. Plus I need to get back into the 5:2 properly, as that makes such a difference for me.

I shall avoid supermarkets for a while, I think, and just rely on my veg delivery people and the local food cooperative group thingy.

So Sleazy! It's time to be good to yourself! And that means not eating crap! Nag nag nag nag nag nag
    What's your weight been doing lately?

And if Mrs. Sleazy is trying to get fitter and not bringing home the 'treats' that will help a lot, too!
    Will you be going with her to Croaslovegrobia?
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    • Sleazy
    • By Sleazy 12th Jul 18, 8:28 AM
    • 11,641 Posts
    • 21,375 Thanks
    Sleazy
    Weight loss has been lost, if you see what I mean. So starting again more seriously I think for me.

I'm staying at home with Bobby. My dad was an ethnic Serb, but born and living in Croatia, forced to leave when they had their civil war around the time of WW2. He never returned, even to visit. I've probably mentioned before that Mme. is a mixture of ethnicities from the Romanian part of The Balkans. It's too hot for me there in summer, and Bobby gets stressed in the cattery. Last year, I visited the outlaws in September when it was cooler - might think about October if I find reasonable flights, although half term is at the end of October as well .... it's so hard, juggling time and money and other things around.

Also, I wouldn't mind finding a local part time job. Not for the money, but to help me not feel 'useless'. I think I did post that earlier this year I obtained a job with the local council, but their OH department rejected me after consultation with my doctor.

Apologies if this post sounds 'moany' - it's not meant to be. I just feel chatty ..

Earl Of The Alphabetty
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 12th Jul 18, 8:31 AM
    • 38,730 Posts
    • 143,240 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Weight loss has been lost, if you see what I mean. So starting again more seriously I think for me.

I'm staying at home with Bobby. My dad was an ethnic Serb, but born and living in Croatia, forced to leave when they had their civil war around the time of WW2. He never returned, even to visit. I've probably mentioned before that Mme. is a mixture of ethnicities from the Romanian part of The Balkans. It's too hot for me there in summer, and Bobby gets stressed in the cattery. Last year, I visited the outlaws in September when it was cooler - might think about October if I find reasonable flights, although half term is at the end of October as well .... it's so hard, juggling time and money and other things around.

Also, I wouldn't mind finding a local part time job. Not for the money, but to help me not feel 'useless'. I think I did post that earlier this year I obtained a job with the local council, but their OH department rejected me after consultation with my doctor.

Apologies if this post sounds 'moany' - it's not meant to be. I just feel chatty ..
    Not moany, all valid reasons.
    Until you find a part-time job, would you consider something voluntary, like hospital visiting? Or whatever?
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    • Sleazy
    • By Sleazy 12th Jul 18, 8:36 AM
    • 11,641 Posts
    • 21,375 Thanks
    Sleazy
    Yes, have thought about voluntary work. Haven't done anything proactive yet though!

Earl Of The Alphabetty
    • Sleazy
    • By Sleazy 12th Jul 18, 11:21 AM
    • 11,641 Posts
    • 21,375 Thanks
    Sleazy
    My nnnnnnext pppppppost wil be my nnnnnnine thhhhhousand nnnnnnine hhhhhundred and nnnnninety nnnnninth.

I am fffffffrit, bbbbbbecause I dddddddon't wwwwwwant tttttto rrrreach ttttten thhhhhhousand.

Maybe I'll resign.
    Answers on a postcard please ....

Sorry, should have said ppppppostcard.

Earl Of The Alphabetty
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 12th Jul 18, 11:34 AM
    • 38,730 Posts
    • 143,240 Thanks
    Pyxis
    My nnnnnnext pppppppost wil be my nnnnnnine thhhhhousand nnnnnnine hhhhhundred and nnnnninety nnnnninth.

I am fffffffrit, bbbbbbecause I dddddddon't wwwwwwant tttttto rrrreach ttttten thhhhhhousand.

Maybe I'll resign.
    Answers on a postcard please ....

Sorry, should have said ppppppostcard.
    Why don't you want to reach 10,000?

Did a wicked fairy put a curse on you to disappear in a puff of smoke when you made your 10,000th post?

Oh dear, you won't be able to answer that, will you?

You could always go back and delete some past posts, and keep deleting some as you make new ones!

The posting equivalent of Groundhog Day!
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• Sleazy
    • By Sleazy 12th Jul 18, 12:06 PM
    • 11,641 Posts
    • 21,375 Thanks
    Sleazy
    Nine Thousand, Nine Hundred and Ninety Nine .....

Yes to the Wicked Fairy who was really a Goblin ...

Maybe I should get an AE?

Earl Of The Alphabetty
    • AlfieBlue
    • By AlfieBlue 12th Jul 18, 12:14 PM
    • 14,137 Posts
    • 60,765 Thanks
    AlfieBlue
    Good afternoon all!

It's another warm & dry day here but apparently that may
    change tomorrow in some parts of Hampshire! Heavy
    thundery downpours are due in some parts. Got fingers
    n' paws crossed! Would love a decent bit of rain!

The downside is that the weekend will be yet another
    scorcher! Sigh.

Had a fairly productive day yesterday, despite the heat. Went
    out food shopping early, washed car (which was absolutely
    filthy), managed a bit of housework & ended the day giving
    my poorly parched garden a bit of tender loving care.

Then I settled down to watch the match .....

Good Morning Alphabetty's.

Hope that all are ok after yesterday's excitement!

Haven't seen many butterflies this year, but did see a centipede yesterday. Black & Yellow .... incredible how they walk!

Such a shame England lost the match yesterday but so very
    proud of all the team. They'll be coming home as heroes. It's
    wonderful how they lifted the spirits of our nation.

Not keen on the fact that they'll be playing in the 'losers
    game' against Belgium on Saturday though! Why on
    earth does there have to be a 'best of the losers' game?
    What is the point?!

Very sad that England 'fans' have been trolling Marcus the
    psychic pig big time since the team lost to Croatia. However,
    his owner has said how proud she is of Marcus and that no
    way would he end up in a 'bacon sarnie' (or words to that
    effect). Happy days - the gorgeous piggy survives!

Talking of butterflies, I saw a lovely peacock butterfly yesterday.

They seem to like landing on my back wall, for some reason. This one landed on the back door!
    Originally posted by Pyxis

https://www.bigbutterflycount.org/

Maybe it's a psychic butterfly and had some winning news for
    you ..... or maybe not!

I'm going to do the survey, only takes 15 minutes. You could
    do it Sleazy, even if you don't see any butterflies or moths, any
    info you can give would be gratefully received by them.

Th roads yesterday evening weren't as empty, again, as I thought they'd be, on the way to the supermarket, although Waitrose was like a ghost town. Tumbleweed rolling down the cheese aisle!
    Never seen it so empty! Mind you, I don't think I've ever been there at 7.30pm on a Wednesday evening!

I'd wanted to stock up with my favourite loo rolls as they were on special offer, only to find the offer had ended.

I spoke to one young chap stacking shelves about him missing the match, but he said he didn't mind because he had a new baby, so the chance of overtime and extra hours was more important.

I was quite impressed.

Going home, though, there was hardly any traffic at all. At one big roundabout, where there are usually a lot of cars, I just sailed round with nothing coming in any direction!

Very impressive - bless him.

Anyway, got home, and now I need to be nagged. I was a bit naughty.
    Only bought 2 bottles of beer, though, but I drank them both. Then when I woke up this morning, I wondered why I felt strange, and it was a while before I realised I was a bit hungover!
    The beer I like is a very strong one! Serves me right! Plus I'd had crisps, , so I was a bit dehydrated, even though they were the salt 'n' shake ones, and I don't put the salt on them.

So I drank loads of water and green tea, and feel better now. That'll learn me! (Sorry Inde!) It's months since I last felt like that!

That gooseberry and banana ice cream I made was so nice that I , erm , bought some more gooseberries and more clotted cream, and have bananas arriving today, so the plan is to makes some more.

Bad Pyxis.

I actually like the sound of your beer Pyxis, even though I'm a
    lover of wine. Do Waitrose stock it? If so, I may treat myself to
    some!

Also love the sound of gooseberry & banana clotted cream ice
    cream. Sounds delish.

I think you can be forgiven for over-indulging, just this
    once!

(Very small nag)

I need reminding ......

So pleased you're feeling a bit better today Sleazy - but I'm
    very concerned with your hurty head. If in doubt - pls get it
    checked out.

So sorry to hear about your job application being turned
    down. I agree with Pyxis re. volunteering. It would do
    you the world of good and volunteers are always needed, an
    absolute godsend.

I'm starving now, so off to make myself an early lunch. Will
    catch up later. Bye bye for now .......

Alfie xxx
    MILITARY WIVES CHOIRS
    HELP for HEROES
    WASPI

Princess Alpha & Chief Faffer of the Alpha-betty thread
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 12th Jul 18, 12:17 PM
    • 38,730 Posts
    • 143,240 Thanks
    Pyxis
    I've been very MSE!

Some time ago, I found a soft case in a charity-shop for 4.50. It was just the right size for a lot of AmDram files and stuff, had a laptop/tablet compartment, lots of other compartments, an external bottle pocket and a shoulder strap as well as a handle.

Was a good buy!

Then a couple of weeks ago, I went and broke the main zip. It had got a bit stuck, I was in a hurry, etc. etc.

You know the scenario.....one side of the zip had come out of the tab thing.

Now, if it had been a dress or something, it would have been easy to unpick the bottom of the zip and slot it back in, then sew it up again, but because it was made of that thick bag canvas stuff, I knew it wouldn't be that simple.

Anyway, passing a cobblers/key cutters place, I popped in and asked if he would be able to fix it. Cue loud sucking of teeth and shaking of head, builder style, couldn't say for certain, couldn't give me even a ball-park, rough, stab in the dark idea of price, but said it would be expensive.

Really annoyed, as it was such a useful case.

Anyway, I've just attacked it with a small pair of nail scissors, and managed to unpick a few stitches, it was easier than I thought, and also managed to slide the tab back onto the teeth. All I have to do now is put a few stitches into it at a suitable spot, to act as a stop, so that I don't pull the tab off the end in the future.

And I've found where it got stuck... a couple of teeth are a bit bent, so it might well happen again in the future, but at least I haven't spent a lot either buying the case, or getting the teeth-sucker to mend it for a king's ransom!

Am patting myself on the head!

And with the money I've saved, I can justify going for that Spitfire flight!
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• Flick216
    • By Flick216 12th Jul 18, 12:21 PM
    • 8,435 Posts
    • 34,110 Thanks
    Flick216
    Can you all send redrabbit a bit of love please......The Turned down a great job post.....
    ENFP - Assertive
    Officially in a clique of idiots

Smoke me a kipper; I'll be back for breakfast
    • Sleazy
    • By Sleazy 12th Jul 18, 12:31 PM
    • 11,641 Posts
    • 21,375 Thanks
    Sleazy

Earl Of The Alphabetty
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 12th Jul 18, 12:42 PM
    • 38,730 Posts
    • 143,240 Thanks
    Pyxis
    10,000 posts....and Sleazy disappears in a ..........

(I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 12th Jul 18, 12:45 PM
    • 38,730 Posts
    • 143,240 Thanks
    Pyxis
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• Flick216
    • By Flick216 12th Jul 18, 12:46 PM
    • 8,435 Posts
    • 34,110 Thanks
    Flick216
    Nice one Sleazy!!
    ENFP - Assertive
    Officially in a clique of idiots

Smoke me a kipper; I'll be back for breakfast
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 12th Jul 18, 1:28 PM
    • 38,730 Posts
    • 143,240 Thanks
    Pyxis
    I still want to know why you are scared of 10k posts, Sleazy?

Is it a 10k post superstition?

If so............I'm still here!

Or am I? Whoooooooooooooooooo!
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• AlfieBlue
    • By AlfieBlue 12th Jul 18, 3:15 PM
    • 14,137 Posts
    • 60,765 Thanks
    AlfieBlue
    10,000+ posts!

Well done Sleazy!

Alfie xxx
    MILITARY WIVES CHOIRS
    HELP for HEROES
    WASPI

• colinw
    • By colinw 12th Jul 18, 3:23 PM
    • 53,064 Posts
    • 146,966 Thanks
    colinw
    Well done Sleazy....for goodness sake someone do a thread!

So about these bacon sandwiches

Afternoon btw
    • AlfieBlue
    • By AlfieBlue 12th Jul 18, 4:01 PM
    • 14,137 Posts
    • 60,765 Thanks
    AlfieBlue
    Well done Sleazy....for goodness sake someone do a thread!

So about these bacon sandwiches

Afternoon btw
    Originally posted by colinw

Afternoon Colin!

Alfie xxx
    MILITARY WIVES CHOIRS
    HELP for HEROES
    WASPI

• Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 12th Jul 18, 4:19 PM
    • 38,730 Posts
    • 143,240 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Alfie, I think you and I should have a Colin sandwich, don't you?
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,408Posts Today

6,809Users online

Martin's Twitter