Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Archna
    • By MSE Archna 23rd Aug 07, 1:25 PM
    • 1,874Posts
    • 6,140Thanks
    MSE Archna
    Mobile Roaming: Cheapest Calls When You're Abroad
    • 23rd Aug 07, 1:25 PM
    Mobile Roaming: Cheapest Calls When You're Abroad 23rd Aug 07 at 1:25 PM

This thread is specifically to discuss the content of the

To discuss or ask a question about the article: click reply

Read the old Roaming discussion for more info.

Thanks for your help,
    MSE Becca
    Last edited by Former MSE Becca; 20-03-2012 at 11:50 AM.
    Report inappropriate posts: forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Page 64
    • skychick
    • By skychick 19th Nov 17, 3:10 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    skychick
    Going abroad for 6 months - can I take 2 sims and port number across?
    Hi all,
    My husband and I are going to France for nearly 6 months. We are both currently on Giffgaff pay as you go which suits us really well. I know that we will only be able to use our monthly allowance for so long before giffgaff deems it as unreasonable (60 days) and starts charging us.

Could we buy sim cards for another pay as you go provider - e.g. Tesco, port our numbers across to the new sims and then pay as you go with the new provider? Or would we have to be using the sim cards with the new provider in the UK first?

Just trying to be creative...
    Thank you
    • Jon 01
    • By Jon 01 19th Nov 17, 3:36 PM
    • 5,089 Posts
    • 1,649 Thanks
    Jon 01
    Hi all,
    My husband and I are going to France for nearly 6 months. We are both currently on Giffgaff pay as you go which suits us really well. I know that we will only be able to use our monthly allowance for so long before giffgaff deems it as unreasonable (60 days) and starts charging us.

Could we buy sim cards for another pay as you go provider - e.g. Tesco, port our numbers across to the new sims and then pay as you go with the new provider? Or would we have to be using the sim cards with the new provider in the UK first?

Just trying to be creative...
    Thank you
    Originally posted by skychick
    I think your sims have to on the UK network for the port to go through?
    Also, you have to enable roaming before you travel on a lot of payg sims, so the new one's wouldn't work over there.
    And, (and could be wrong), I don't think you can start a UK sim by having it roaming...

(Apart from that, good idea )
    • skychick
    • By skychick 19th Nov 17, 4:55 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    skychick
    So perhaps we could get the sims now, enable roaming, use them for a day or so here in the UK then switch back to the first set of SIMs...?! Then when they run out we switch.

I know we can get local sims abroad but I need to keep my UK number available. Could I port my UK number to a sim card that I buy in France?
    • Jon 01
    • By Jon 01 19th Nov 17, 5:31 PM
    • 5,089 Posts
    • 1,649 Thanks
    Jon 01
    So perhaps we could get the sims now, enable roaming, use them for a day or so here in the UK then switch back to the first set of SIMs...?! Then when they run out we switch.

I know we can get local sims abroad but I need to keep my UK number available. Could I port my UK number to a sim card that I buy in France?
    Originally posted by skychick
    You could start a new set of sims here, add roaming and then take them with you to use. What I don't think you can do (and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong), is port a number if the receiving sim isn't on it's home network? So the second set of sims would be stuck with the numbers they came supplied with.

No, you can't port a UK number to any other network but a UK one. There are no systems in place for international porting. Sorry.
    • Roger1
    • By Roger1 4th Mar 18, 5:45 PM
    • 1,366 Posts
    • 607 Thanks
    Roger1
    TOGGLEMOBILE prices - where to check?
    I'd like to check current Toggle tariffs but the link http://www.togglemobile.co.uk/tariffs/en is missing destinations!

Is all OK with Toggle? I still have 17+ credit. I have found the local numbers useful, giving me permanent Swiss and US numbers.
    • mrcamp
    • By mrcamp 4th Mar 18, 6:58 PM
    • 292 Posts
    • 73 Thanks
    mrcamp
    The website has been like that for a while. My guess is that, with the lower roaming rates within the EU, and carriers in countries such as the US, offering roaming packages, it's just a matter of time before Toggle and similar offerings go under.

I'd like to check current Toggle tariffs but the link http://www.togglemobile.co.uk/tariffs/en is missing destinations!

Is all OK with Toggle? I still have 17+ credit. I have found the local numbers useful, giving me permanent Swiss and US numbers.
    Originally posted by Roger1
    • Roger1
    • By Roger1 5th Mar 18, 10:08 AM
    • 1,366 Posts
    • 607 Thanks
    Roger1
    My guess is that, with the lower roaming rates within the EU, and carriers in countries such as the US, offering roaming packages, it's just a matter of time before Toggle and similar offerings go under.
    Originally posted by mrcamp
    Yes, I was coming to the same conclusion. I've used Three to call Swiss mobiles from the UK for example, cheaper than the last announced rates with Toggle, I think. BTW and OT, Three easily beats 18185 for calling Switzerland from UK landlines.

I suppose my 17+ Toggle credit means I'm locked in but cannot know for sure what my calls will cost. I wonder how I could get my credit refunded.
    • lean&mean
    • By lean&mean 5th Mar 18, 1:11 PM
    • 65 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    lean&mean
    Toggle Mobile?
    Looks like they might be running on a skeleton crew. Their Facebook and Twitter accounts haven't updated for years! However, as they're part of LycaMobile hopefully they might keep going. The cost of maintaining their systems might not be as great, and they must still be getting income from non EU destinations. I've got an 18 balance and I think it's worth keeping it.
    • Roger1
    • By Roger1 6th Mar 18, 10:54 AM
    • 1,366 Posts
    • 607 Thanks
    Roger1
    I've used Three to call Swiss mobiles from the UK for example, cheaper than the last announced rates with Toggle, I think. BTW and OT, Three easily beats 18185 for calling Switzerland from UK landlines.
    FWIW I e-mailed them, asking about rates to/from Switzerland/South Africa/USA, whether they were still in operation, and asking why their Chat Online wasn't working. They responded about the rates, ignoring the other questions.
    Switzerland :
    Landline : 3 p/min
    Mobile : 9 p/min
    SMS : 5 p/sms
    DATA : 15 p/mb

South Africa :
    Making calls : 2.35 /min
    Local calls : 2.35 /min
    Receiving calls : 0.96 /min
    Send SMS : 0.48 /SMS
    Data : 1.34 /MB

USA :
    Landline : 3 p/min
    Mobile : 3 p/min
    SMS : 9 p/sms
    DATA : 15 p/mb
    So yes, Three is generally more competitive in my limited comparison.
    • mrcamp
    • By mrcamp 6th Mar 18, 11:35 AM
    • 292 Posts
    • 73 Thanks
    mrcamp
    The fact that they ignored the other questions should be cause for concern. Definitely do not want to have too high a balance on these cards. Because once they go under, getting any kind of refund will be close to impossible.

FWIW I e-mailed them, asking about rates to/from Switzerland/South Africa/USA, whether they were still in operation, and asking why their Chat Online wasn't working. They responded about the rates, ignoring the other questions.

So yes, Three is generally more competitive in my limited comparison.
    • redux
    • By redux 7th Mar 18, 10:59 AM
    • 18,239 Posts
    • 24,131 Thanks
    redux

I phoned Toggle and asked about this - all I get on 3 of the drop down boxes is Select Country, is this a browser issue. He said it might be, but he had the same issue and will report it internally.

Tariffs in and to EU countries still 3p/min. I didn't ask for other examples.
    • Roger1
    • By Roger1 9th Mar 18, 10:39 AM
    • 1,366 Posts
    • 607 Thanks
    Roger1
    Toggle UK roaming PDF
    Tariffs in and to EU countries still 3p/min.
    Originally posted by redux
    Yes, I found this PDF on the Toggle website.

http://www.togglemobile.co.uk/PDFs/uk/Roaming-UK.pdf

Switzerland's not there - it's in neither the EU nor EFTA - but I know that calls to Swiss landlines cost 3p/min and to Swiss mobiles 9p/minute, which makes Three 3-2-1 better value, 3p and 3p.
    • ajd279
    • By ajd279 3rd May 18, 8:38 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ajd279
    I am going to (not northern) Cyprus on holiday. I have a mobile contract with Vodafone so I'll be able to roam free for calls/texts. However the wifi at the hotel is only available in the public areas, but I would like good wifi access in the bedroom (and round the pool) and not pay the extortionate hotel prices for their data. I have bought a Huawei e5573 (locked to Three) from eBay. I understand that Three have got a very generous all you can eat plan - but are there any pitfalls in doing it this way? I'm happy to buy a very large GB allowance - I just don't want to be saddled with a year's contract!!
    • redux
    • By redux 9th May 18, 10:31 PM
    • 18,239 Posts
    • 24,131 Thanks
    redux
    I am going to (not northern) Cyprus on holiday. I have a mobile contract with Vodafone so I'll be able to roam free for calls/texts. However the wifi at the hotel is only available in the public areas, but I would like good wifi access in the bedroom (and round the pool) and not pay the extortionate hotel prices for their data. I have bought a Huawei e5573 (locked to Three) from eBay. I understand that Three have got a very generous all you can eat plan - but are there any pitfalls in doing it this way? I'm happy to buy a very large GB allowance - I just don't want to be saddled with a year's contract!!
    Originally posted by ajd279
    Look at either payg with data bundles or a SIM only contract with one month term and notice.

Check data bundles are for use in that device, not only for a phone with tethering not allowed

You aren't limited to using Three. You can find vendors on eBay who can sell a Huawei unlock code for about a quid. Check feedback when choosing.
    • Goldust
    • By Goldust 22nd May 18, 3:47 PM
    • 416 Posts
    • 102 Thanks
    Goldust
    Hi everyone,

Off to the US for 3 weeks and I want to have data available on at least one of our mobile phones during the trip. Fully aware using a phone abroad isn't everyone's cup of tea but I would like it for various reasons including money saving.

I used Three feel at home last year and the fact it is maximum 3G made it quite difficult to use at times and the coverage was spotty even in busy areas.

Are there any other viable alternatives? Happy to buy something now or when I get there. The T-Mobile tourist SIM looked good until I saw that it drops down to 2G after your first 2GB of usage!
    • Alyboy
    • By Alyboy 18th Jun 18, 5:53 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Alyboy
    USA Holiday - Making calls in USA to USA Numbers
    Hi, I am shortly going on holiday to the USA (Monday, July 2nd) My Mobile is with EE, my wife with Three

While we are in USA we will want to phone USA numbers (Uber, Campsites, attractions etc) I can see that Three is the best deal for USA to UK but it looks like it charges Uk International call rates for USA numbers) I particularly want to be able to phone UBER when I land and get a UBER to my hotel. Does anyone have any tips to help?

Thanks
    • mrcamp
    • By mrcamp 18th Jun 18, 5:57 PM
    • 292 Posts
    • 73 Thanks
    mrcamp
    You can get the tmobile tourist plan/sim.

https://prepaid.t-mobile.com/marketing-module/prepaid_international_tourist_plan.html

Hi, I am shortly going on holiday to the USA (Monday, July 2nd) My Mobile is with EE, my wife with Three

While we are in USA we will want to phone USA numbers (Uber, Campsites, attractions etc) I can see that Three is the best deal for USA to UK but it looks like it charges Uk International call rates for USA numbers) I particularly want to be able to phone UBER when I land and get a UBER to my hotel. Does anyone have any tips to help?

Thanks
    Originally posted by Alyboy
    • darren72
    • By darren72 18th Jun 18, 6:11 PM
    • 1,187 Posts
    • 258 Thanks
    darren72
    If your 3 mobile doesn't include roaming in the US you could get a 3 PAYG sim and top it up ?
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 18th Jun 18, 8:31 PM
    • 3,520 Posts
    • 1,702 Thanks
    eDicky
    I particularly want to be able to phone UBER when I land and get a UBER to my hotel.
    Phone Uber..? Use the app, on airport Wi-Fi or the Three 'Feel at Home' data.
  • Samantha_EE

Thanks

Hi Alyboy.

EE max plans allow you to call while in the US to US numbers at no extra cost.

Have a quick chat with our customer service team to see what plan you're currently on and if we can move you to a max plan

You can speak with our team by calling 150 from your EE mobile or use our live web chat team. You can find the contact information and live chat links here:

https://ee.co.uk/help/get-in-touch

Just expand the EE section on that page. Hope you enjoy your holidays

Thanks Sam
    Official Company Representative
    I'm an official company representative of EE. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,216Posts Today

6,204Users online

Martin's Twitter