Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bearcat16
    • By bearcat16 26th Oct 15, 11:45 AM
    • 328Posts
    • 391Thanks
    bearcat16
    No Council Tax Bill for a Year!
    • 26th Oct 15, 11:45 AM
    No Council Tax Bill for a Year! 26th Oct 15 at 11:45 AM
    Hello everyone,

I moved into a new-build house in October 2014 (a year ago exactly) and still have not had a council tax bill. We're on the electoral register, and everything else is normal. I mentioned it to a few of my neighbors and they have all had their bills.

I called the council tax office a week after we first moved in and they said the property had not yet been assessed and a bill would come soon.

After another 2 months I called them again to tell them they still hadn't sent me a bill, and they said it was not yet assessed, but that "I could still pay money towards my council tax account if I wanted to"

No thanks - I'd rather have the money in my account earning me interest than the council's!

Anyway, as this is a new-build estate there are a few houses that are identical to ours so I know what council tax band we should be in, and I have been putting the money aside into a savings account every month (£140) as of course they could ask for the whole amount at any time.

Now after a year it's up to £1,400, and I'm not complaining, but I've never heard of this happening before. Usually in this area, if you are 2 seconds late paying it they are threatening your life!

I also wonder what would happen if we were to sell this house and move away out of the area completely. (not that I'm planning that). Would they lose track of me or would they somehow chase me up and down the country?

I should also add I have no objection to paying council tax at all, I know it pays for services we all use etc. I'm just surprised that the council, despite being told twice, don't seem all that bothered about collecting it!

Anyone had a similar experience?
Page 1
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 26th Oct 15, 12:31 PM
    • 27,354 Posts
    • 16,362 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 26th Oct 15, 12:31 PM
    • 26th Oct 15, 12:31 PM
    Why not write to the Council (post "signed for") and explain the situation?

You should then get a written reply setting out a timetable for setting up your CT account?
    • booksurr
    • By booksurr 26th Oct 15, 1:07 PM
    • 3,613 Posts
    • 3,997 Thanks
    booksurr
    • 26th Oct 15, 1:07 PM
    • 26th Oct 15, 1:07 PM
    the council cannot collect it until the Valuation Office Agency notifies them what band it belongs in.

You are therefore caught between 2 public sector bodies unable to agree a timescale between themselves. However, as you realise, once the band is set the whole liability will become immediately due and will be back dated to when you became owner so don't spend it!
    • amy26
    • By amy26 26th Oct 15, 2:26 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 44 Thanks
    amy26
    • 26th Oct 15, 2:26 PM
    • 26th Oct 15, 2:26 PM
    It's taken us three months to get a council tax bill in our new home (not new build). I agree you think they would be in more of a hurry! Hope you get it sorted.
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 26th Oct 15, 3:06 PM
    • 11,183 Posts
    • 9,542 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    • 26th Oct 15, 3:06 PM
    • 26th Oct 15, 3:06 PM
    Perhaps the council have forgotten to tell the VOA the house needs banding. I knew of one case where a house was not banded for 7 years - the occupier still got a 7 year backdated bill.
    • bouicca21
    • By bouicca21 26th Oct 15, 4:35 PM
    • 4,037 Posts
    • 6,443 Thanks
    bouicca21
    • 26th Oct 15, 4:35 PM
    • 26th Oct 15, 4:35 PM
    My flat is banded, I notified the council as soon as I moved in. No council tax bill arrived. I notified them again. Still no bill. The only way I managed to get one was by complaining to my local councillor.
    • bearcat16
    • By bearcat16 27th Oct 15, 1:56 AM
    • 328 Posts
    • 391 Thanks
    bearcat16
    • 27th Oct 15, 1:56 AM
    • 27th Oct 15, 1:56 AM
    Thanks, That is interesting.

I won't write to them or do anything else to gee them up because I am actually quite pleased they're being slow about it as I'm earning interest on the money.

I'm not avoiding the tax, after all I've told them twice and done exactly what they told me to do- just wait for the bill.

I was just curios if this were a common thing.

That 7 year bill story is funny! Imagine having to fork all that out if you'd not been putting it aside!
    • Majestic12
    • By Majestic12 22nd Nov 15, 12:22 AM
    • 139 Posts
    • 56 Thanks
    Majestic12
    • 22nd Nov 15, 12:22 AM
    • 22nd Nov 15, 12:22 AM
    All you can do is keep safe around £1400 (estimate based on a year) until that bill comes.

• Poppy9
    • By Poppy9 22nd Nov 15, 12:37 AM
    • 17,986 Posts
    • 22,277 Thanks
    Poppy9
    • 22nd Nov 15, 12:37 AM
    • 22nd Nov 15, 12:37 AM
    When you eventually get a bill check if you can pay online via CC as then you could get cashback on your CC and pay the CC off with the savings you have put away!
    ~Laugh and the world laughs with you, weep and you weep alone.~
    • sweetilemon
    • By sweetilemon 22nd Nov 15, 9:40 AM
    • 2,131 Posts
    • 2,724 Thanks
    sweetilemon
    I would definately keep putting it aside. I know someone who got a bill years later from a previous address so it will eventually catch up with you.
    • bearcat16
    • By bearcat16 24th Oct 16, 12:25 PM
    • 328 Posts
    • 391 Thanks
    bearcat16
    Well, another year has passed, and still no council tax bill.
    As before, I've been putting the correct amount aside every month into an ISA.

Not complaining at all, I won't care if they don't send me a bill for 10 years! But I'm pretty amazed by it still.
    • bearcat16
    • By bearcat16 1st Nov 17, 12:28 AM
    • 328 Posts
    • 391 Thanks
    bearcat16
    YEAR 3
    ======
    Yet another has passed, still no council tax bill.

Iím still putting the money aside, itís up to about £5k now.

Iím thinking of getting premium bonds with it this year instead of leaving it in the isa.
    Last edited by bearcat16; 01-11-2017 at 12:31 AM.
    • anselld
    • By anselld 1st Nov 17, 7:49 AM
    • 5,964 Posts
    • 5,700 Thanks
    anselld
    YEAR 3
    ======

Iím thinking of getting premium bonds with it this year instead of leaving it in the isa.
    Originally posted by bearcat16
    Have you checked if it has been banded on the VOA site?
    http://cti.voa.gov.uk/cti/inits.asp
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 1st Nov 17, 9:50 AM
    • 27,354 Posts
    • 16,362 Thanks
    xylophone
    I won't write to them or do anything else to gee them up because I am actually quite pleased they're being slow about it as I'm earning interest on the money.
    You know that the money is due.

You are benefiting from the services for which CT pays.

The honest action is as described in post 2.
    • 00ec25
    • By 00ec25 1st Nov 17, 10:42 AM
    • 7,229 Posts
    • 6,925 Thanks
    00ec25
    YEAR 3
    ======

people make mistakes or things get forgotten about

you also seem to have stopped being pro-active yourself in getting this resolved.

what purpose is served by you apparently "rejoicing" in the fact another year has gone by when this seems to have been forgotten about?
    • bearcat16
    • By bearcat16 2nd Nov 17, 12:57 AM
    • 328 Posts
    • 391 Thanks
    bearcat16
    You know that the money is due.

You are benefiting from the services for which CT pays.

The honest action is as described in post 2.
    Originally posted by xylophone
    As I already stated, I am more than happy to pay it. I have already done the "honest" thing, and notified the council not once, but twice. I am now doing exactly what they told me to do - 'wait for the bill'. In what way is the not 'honest'?
    • CIS
    • By CIS 2nd Nov 17, 9:08 AM
    • 10,809 Posts
    • 6,270 Thanks
    CIS
    As I already stated, I am more than happy to pay it. I have already done the "honest" thing, and notified the council not once, but twice. I am now doing exactly what they told me to do - 'wait for the bill'. In what way is the not 'honest'?
    You need to notify the valuation office / Scottish assessors rather than the council. The council can pass the info but contacting the valuation office / Scottish assessors cuts out the middle man.
    I no longer work in Council Tax Recovery but instead work as a self employed Council Tax paralegal assisting Council Tax payers. My views are my own reading of the law and you should always check with the local authority in question.
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 2nd Nov 17, 11:44 AM
    • 27,354 Posts
    • 16,362 Thanks
    xylophone
    I am now doing exactly what they told me to do - 'wait for the bill'. In what way is the not 'honest'?
    You do not dispute that you owe the money. You do not dispute that you are benefiting from services for which you are not paying.

It may have been reasonable to wait for another few months after your second contact in 2015.

In my opinion, waiting two years from that point and not checking again with the Council or VOA is not reasonable.

It may be the case that your property has not been banded - in which case you will no doubt be told so when you enquire and have no option but to wait.

However, it seems more probable that an error has occurred - is not the honest way forward to make enquiries rather than take advantage of a mistake?
    • til601
    • By til601 10th Nov 18, 9:51 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    til601
    same
    I also brought a new build and still waiting for a bill.
    I rang my council 5 times just to be told wait ill get a bill in due course.
    Its now been 18mths and still no bill.
    How did your situation work out ???
    • 00ec25
    • By 00ec25 10th Nov 18, 10:30 PM
    • 7,229 Posts
    • 6,925 Thanks
    00ec25
    I also brought a new build and still waiting for a bill
    Originally posted by til601
    perhaps the council is waiting for you to bring the house with you next time you visit their offices to tell them about your amazing ability to transport houses
    Last edited by 00ec25; 10-11-2018 at 10:33 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,211Posts Today

8,738Users online

Martin's Twitter