Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • chocolatelover93
    • By chocolatelover93 24th Oct 15, 11:16 AM
    • 758Posts
    • 4,078Thanks
    chocolatelover93
    Chocolate Lover Looses Her Debt!
    • 24th Oct 15, 11:16 AM
    Chocolate Lover Looses Her Debt! 24th Oct 15 at 11:16 AM
    Why hello there everyone,

I did have a post on here a while ago but I feel it is out dated as I started writing when I was 18/19 and in a completely different position now (almost 22 - so I know not THAT long ago) but just wanted to start a fresh and make a shiny new thread (will delete the old one)

Who is Chocolatelover?!
    So a little be about me I'm 21 (almost 22) I live with my husband and my two kitty cats (I'm not just a chocolate lover I'm a cat lover too!!). I live on the Norfolk/Cambridgeshire/Lincolnshire borders in the middle of no where and I love it The only bad thing is the internet is rather s....l.....o.....w!! So that's the basics anyway!

My Debt
    Up until recently I was paying my dad off a loan for around 2000 (think with all the extra bits I added on it was more than that). This was in 2012! So lucky I didn't have to pay interest.
    I paid him off in drips and drabs (was on a zero hour contract and then worked on commission only) so when I had a good week I would pay him off, when I didn't I didn't pay.
    Once I got a stable job with a proper wage I decided to pay him off 50 a month and pay for his and my mums phones which was 20+ a month too so a total of 70+ a month.
    A couple of weeks ago I was checking my spread sheet (don't keep track brilliantly I need to change this). I noticed I only had to pay 2.17! So being the loving daughter I am I gave him 2.20 (so he got 7p in interest - probably the same as an ISA with the brilliant rates at the moment ) So paid that debt off which was the largest one I had so proud of myseld

Back in 2013 I needed to get my credit rating up and needed a new laptop (I sat on mine - whoops). I had been the photographer at a colleagues wedding and needed to edit the photos so I got an Argos card and got myself a shiny new laptop. This when was I still had the debt to my dad and it was another 300. I paid the debt off and only paid a little bit of interest so was quite pleased with that.

Now flash forward to today and I've only got a small amount of debt but it's still debt so needs to be cleared! I owe 278 for NPower (long story) and 60 to Halifax (in my OD)
    So all together 300. Now to most people this is so minuscule that they probably would just laugh it off but to me it is debt I don't like owing money so I am going to pay it off!
    Now I've stopped paying my dad back I can start paying it off
    However I also want to save so going to try and put 50 into savings a month and 20 to clear off debt.
    Debts:
    520/3326.55 Credit Card 0%
    47.44/260.92 Sofa 0%
    OCT NSD 3/15
Page 1
    • chocolatelover93
    • By chocolatelover93 7th Sep 18, 3:44 PM
    • 758 Posts
    • 4,078 Thanks
    chocolatelover93
    • 7th Sep 18, 3:44 PM
    It's been a while...
    • 7th Sep 18, 3:44 PM
    Hello everyone!!

So it's been almost 3 years since I wrote my last post, didn't see the point of me making a new thread so I thought I would post on this one. My current situation is a lot different from where I was a few years ago.

I am now almost 25, have a 21 month old son and am a single parent. (son does see his dad so think it is referred to as a residential parents but not sure - just wanted to clarify that).

My Debt
    So a few years ago I was 300 in debt...I did pay that off however I am now....2333.94 in debt on a credit card. I got the card to begin with as a "just in case" my benefits and money from work go in different times to my bills so I wanted a safety net. At first I was being good and paying it off before the end of the month. I did this for a year. Until I become depressed (not an excuse I know) and was buying more and more and thought it made me feel better and thought "I'll just stick it on the CC!!" and I wouldn't check my bank accounts because I was scared what it would be. I also got a tumble dryer and washing machine on credit and was paying back 13 a month but only 8 of that was actually for the machines the rest was interest!!
    I did give myself a kick up the back side and went and got a 0% balance transfer for 29 months. I did start paying it off and then it crept back up again. So kick up the backside number 2!!
    I am also paying off a sofa for 25 a month but only have a year left on that and it is 0% interest but that's another thing on the debt list!

So what have I done to cut down my spending and help pay off the debts?:
    - saved 38 a month by stopping AA and spent 69.53 for a YEAR with Start Rescue
    - Cut my broadband bill down by 8 by taking off unlimited calls (I have the same on my mobile so not worth paying twice)
    - Only buy from shopping list and try and use up cupboard and freezer stock.
    - Paid off the washing machine on CC to save myself some money
    - Sorted out benefits so I get the correct amounts.
    - Set a budget so I know what I can spend and try and put any money left on CC
    - Try and pay 20 a week off CC (min is around 25 a month so am paying way more than min)
    - Canceled spot to save 9.99 a month.

Do I do this every week/month? No, but I am getting better and I am trying.

I have had a good look at my outgoings and got them down to the bone I now spend:

Weekly
    4.95 Slimming World

Monthly
    675 Rent - this can't be changed
    5.88 Home ins - Only got this year so can't change yet.
    23.00 Water - asked about lower tariff but I'm better off on meter.
    63.36 Mobile phone - yes I know it's stupidly high it was a moment of weakness that I will now be paying for, for another 16 months!!
    45.16 Car ins - cheapest I could get, I'm a young driver so pay more.
    23.72 Sofa - year left so not too much longer to pay and on 0%
    30 home phone and BB lowest I can get because I want fibre
    54 Gas/Electric - this is the cheapest deal for me I could save 12 a year on another one but would cost me 10 to leave this so not worth it for 2
    12.37 TV License - again something that can't be changed.
    7.99 NF - mum pays me 2 a month so she can have the password
    6.99 PS+ - need this to play certain games I own and deserve a little treat, got free games each month too
    2.00 Account fee - have a rewards account so do make use of it.
    312 Avg. nursery cost - do get 70% paid back by WTC
    137 Avg. childmider cost - only goes in when I work a Saturday
    9.50 Amazon S+S baby wipes - yes I need this so much cheaper than buying packs every week with the shopping.

Yearly
    79 Amazon Prime - next day delivery and TV/Movies I use this a lot so it is worth it.
    70ish - Start rescue breakdown

Other
    So I try and budget 40/50 a week on food shopping but always spend more - thinking of maybe drawing cash out and doing it that way?
    30ish a week on fuel

If anyone can see anything else I could change or cut down please feel free to give me advice I will get this debt down!!

CL xx
    Debts:
    47.44/260.92 Sofa 0%
    OCT NSD 3/15
    • Kitten868
    • By Kitten868 7th Sep 18, 4:16 PM
    • 1,024 Posts
    • 2,397 Thanks
    Kitten868
    • 7th Sep 18, 4:16 PM
    • 7th Sep 18, 4:16 PM
    Hello,

Without seeing your income it's hard to know if you're budgeting well. Plus I've learnt from this site it's best to just be honest with your food budget and make it fit. Trying to cut it too much won't work. What are your goals? It won't take long to pay that off but May be it would help to know what you're going to have after.

Keep going love a fellow chocolate lover xxx
    Loan 1 5400/8000
    Loan 2 3400/5800
    Total 8800/13800 36% PAID

And CC 1475/1900
    • chocolatelover93
    • By chocolatelover93 7th Sep 18, 4:37 PM
    • 758 Posts
    • 4,078 Thanks
    chocolatelover93
    • 7th Sep 18, 4:37 PM
    • 7th Sep 18, 4:37 PM
    Hello,

Without seeing your income it's hard to know if you're budgeting well. Plus I've learnt from this site it's best to just be honest with your food budget and make it fit. Trying to cut it too much won't work. What are your goals? It won't take long to pay that off but May be it would help to know what you're going to have after.

Keep going love a fellow chocolate lover xxx
    Originally posted by Kitten868
    Thank you for your advice I am not 100% sure of the food shopping but for Sept I am keeping receipts and going to try and draw the cash out each week to avoid over spending.

My income is around 1800 a month inc. benefits and child maintenance. Was a little worried about posting that however I know this site is anon so no one will know who I am

CL xx
    Debts:
    47.44/260.92 Sofa 0%
    OCT NSD 3/15
    • Willing2Learn
    • By Willing2Learn 7th Sep 18, 5:02 PM
    • 1,750 Posts
    • 1,335 Thanks
    Willing2Learn
    • 7th Sep 18, 5:02 PM
    • 7th Sep 18, 5:02 PM
    Hi chocolatelover93,

Just wanted to say don't forget to include vets bill, pet insurance, cat-food and litter in your monthly budget.
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

• chocolatelover93
    • By chocolatelover93 7th Sep 18, 5:13 PM
    • 758 Posts
    • 4,078 Thanks
    chocolatelover93
    • 7th Sep 18, 5:13 PM
    • 7th Sep 18, 5:13 PM
    Hi chocolatelover93,

Just wanted to say don't forget to include vets bill, pet insurance, cat-food and litter in your monthly budget.
    Originally posted by Willing2Learn
    Thank you I don't have insurance for my cats as I can't really afford it. I might look into getting it though. I include cat food in with shopping as they only have dry and go outdoors so don't need to by litter

CL xx
    Debts:
    47.44/260.92 Sofa 0%
    OCT NSD 3/15
    • Kitten868
    • By Kitten868 14th Sep 18, 10:58 AM
    • 1,024 Posts
    • 2,397 Thanks
    Kitten868
    • 14th Sep 18, 10:58 AM
    • 14th Sep 18, 10:58 AM
    Don't worry about being judged on your income - you're entitled to it and it's not exactly easy to get what you're entitled to so no one here judges in my experience. Plus there's quite a few mummys on benefits on here. Get an soa on here and people can help you see what's realistic for you to cut down. Groceries you'll get ripped to shreds but not by me - I am never able to get that to the levels others can BUT I am now working on it xxx
    Loan 1 5400/8000
    Loan 2 3400/5800
    Total 8800/13800 36% PAID

And CC 1475/1900
    • chocolatelover93
    • By chocolatelover93 14th Sep 18, 11:40 AM
    • 758 Posts
    • 4,078 Thanks
    chocolatelover93
    • 14th Sep 18, 11:40 AM
    • 14th Sep 18, 11:40 AM
    Don't worry about being judged on your income - you're entitled to it and it's not exactly easy to get what you're entitled to so no one here judges in my experience. Plus there's quite a few mummys on benefits on here. Get an soa on here and people can help you see what's realistic for you to cut down. Groceries you'll get ripped to shreds but not by me - I am never able to get that to the levels others can BUT I am now working on it xxx
    Originally posted by Kitten868
    Thank you so much
    I have made a spreadsheet at home of my earnings etc. I am going to keep receipts so I can see a realistic amount of what I actually spend. I have left my purse at home today while I'm at work so fingers crossed that works!

C xx
    Debts:
    47.44/260.92 Sofa 0%
    OCT NSD 3/15
    • Willing2Learn
    • By Willing2Learn 14th Sep 18, 12:24 PM
    • 1,750 Posts
    • 1,335 Thanks
    Willing2Learn
    • 14th Sep 18, 12:24 PM
    • 14th Sep 18, 12:24 PM
    It can be quite a shock when you start collecting receipts. You suddenly realise where all your money is disappearing to...it's a very useful tool to help with monthly budgeting
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

• chocolatelover93
    • By chocolatelover93 14th Sep 18, 12:39 PM
    • 758 Posts
    • 4,078 Thanks
    chocolatelover93
    It can be quite a shock when you start collecting receipts. You suddenly realise where all your money is disappearing to...it's a very useful tool to help with monthly budgeting
    Originally posted by Willing2Learn
    I just had a look on my bank account and didn't realize how much I've actually been spending!! Over 200 this month on food and 100 on eating out!! It's ridiculous! No wonder I am in debt!!

C x
    Debts:
    47.44/260.92 Sofa 0%
    OCT NSD 3/15
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 14th Sep 18, 3:15 PM
    • 7,280 Posts
    • 15,959 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    On adding up your outgoings it comes to pretty much your income so I am guessing you find yourself short at the end of the month if you are overspending on food and it does not look as if you can afford to eat out. Also you should be saving for car maintenance and emergencies which is probably a struggle. Do you not have to pay council tax?

On the plus side if you budgeted strictly and did not spend on the credit card you can deal with this. Your outgoings look fairly reasonable apart from the mobile phone deal which is ridiculously high so change this as soon as you can. Presumably at some point your son will qualify for the 30 hours free childcare too but not sure how this works with childminding fees on Saturdays. Can his dad not look after him weekends when you are working? Car insurance is cheapest if paid annually so saving for this when you can is a good idea. Can you up your income?

I would suggest a spending diary and maybe using prepaid card for food and fuel so you are not overtempted to spend or draw it out in cash. Same goes for personal/entertainment money. You need to budget for clothing for your child. When does the 0% deal on your credit card expire?
    Debt free and mortgage free and early retiree. Living the dream

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages and Endowments, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • chocolatelover93
    • By chocolatelover93 14th Sep 18, 3:32 PM
    • 758 Posts
    • 4,078 Thanks
    chocolatelover93
    enthusiasticsaver - I get some benefits weekly and some 4 weekly and my wages monthly so I basically live from week to week. I quite often find myself in my OD or using my CC to pay for things. The reason eating out is so high this month is that we had family up so went out for a family meal otherwise that would have been half that and could even be less if I didn't make a quick after work trip to KFC.

It's bad but I usually buy anything for my car on my CC as it is hard to save for that. I have just spent 60 on getting it through an MOT so I used food money and bought my food on my CC.

Yes I do pay council tax must have missed it off my list!! I pay around 30 a month because I get some help from the housing benefit with that as well. I will amend the list thank you.

The mobile phone has another 16 months left but as soon as it is up I will be getting a much cheaper deal!

My son will get the 30hrs free when he is 3 so next Nov but have a feeling it starts the term after so will be Jan 2020 but the nursery will tell me when he will get that.

His dad used to have him 3/4 weekends so I could work most Saturdays but since he has changed job to work nights he can't have him until 3pm on a Saturday.

The car ins. isn't due until March next year but I can't afford to pay 500/600 in one go and can't save while paying unless I pay on CC.

The 0% runs out in just over 2 years.

With the prepaid card we sell some at work but you have to pay commission on them, are there any 0% commission ones available?

I have a note book that I am going to write all my spendings in and hoping that will make me more cautious.

Thank you C xx
    Debts:
    47.44/260.92 Sofa 0%
    OCT NSD 3/15
    • chocolatelover93
    • By chocolatelover93 5th Oct 18, 5:36 PM
    • 758 Posts
    • 4,078 Thanks
    chocolatelover93
    Hello everyone

So I gave myself a massive kick up the bum a couple of weeks ago when I had to buy a new car on my CC (which almost maxed it out), I spent too much money on !!!! and had hardly any money for food so my brother and sis-in-law helped me out.

I sat down and took a good look at everything and have realized there is no need for me to be struggling if I just budget sensibly and STICK TO IT! So I have made a shiny new spread sheet, have told people Xmas is going to be tight this year, been shopping in charity shops, compared food shops and ONLY BUYING WHAT I NEED! I started my new budgets at the beginning of this week so the beginning of a new month too

So yes I am in more debt now than I was but I am feeling more positive about being able to get it down because I have worked out my budgets and WILL stick to them. It'll take me a year or two to clear the debt but I will get there and I can do it

C xx
    Debts:
    47.44/260.92 Sofa 0%
    OCT NSD 3/15
    • chocolatelover93
    • By chocolatelover93 14th Oct 18, 3:09 PM
    • 758 Posts
    • 4,078 Thanks
    chocolatelover93
    Checking In
    Hello everyone!

So as you can see from my signature my CC has gone up (again!!)
    BUUT I have paid 370 off it and found out the other day that when I draw money out it charges interest my own fault for not checking first.

Anyway I have stopped going to SW and saved 5 a week at least until I have got this debt down. I have also worked out my incomings and outgoings properly and if I budget I can pay 50 a week on my CC so that means it will be paid off in about 57 weeks so just over a year. My aim is to be debt free by next xmas. I am going to use any leftover money each week to pay off the CC. I am going to Fleabay and FB marketplace some stuff that I don't need/use to try and get a bit more money.

I still have the odd day where I will impulse buy however they are no where near as much as they were before and I am proud of myself for that. I am hoping over time I will stop the impulse buying.

So that's where I am at the moment. I am going to try and check back here at least once a week so I can see my debt going down!

Also on the bright side I have paid the 520 debt I owed to my parents

C xx
    Debts:
    47.44/260.92 Sofa 0%
    OCT NSD 3/15
    • chocolatelover93
    • By chocolatelover93 11th Nov 18, 3:01 PM
    • 758 Posts
    • 4,078 Thanks
    chocolatelover93
    Need to update more!
    Hello everyone,

So have decided I need a kick up the bum again (hmm...this seems like a common theme). So I have been paying off CC 50 a week and that has been working. However this week I went a bit mad and bought some Xmas presents and have rejoined SW (not like the clothes not fitting) so did a big SW friendly shop. Because of that I have not paid any money off this week and -80 in OD

So what are my aims for this week?!:
    - DON'T SPEND ANY MONEY!!!! I have left my purse at home the last few days at work as I only have a 100 OD and don't want to go further into that. With the exception of SW on Tuesday and hair cut Wednesday (B/Day money - strict orders to do something nice with it and not spend on bills or rubbish) I will be aiming for a spend free week. This means on Thursday I will be able to put 50 into my CC, pay off my 80 OD and have 20 for fuel and food.
    - Use what I have in fridge/cupboards I need to get creative and make use of what I have already.
    Declutter I'm aiming to declutter one cupboard a day and list at least one thing a day on fleabay/FB/Spock/Freecycle to clear clutter and make a bit of money.

So that is my aims for the week, it is going to be hard espcially because when I get paid on Thurs I will have to wait another full week until I have more money BUT hopefully this means I will buck my ideas up and stop buying rubbish and I will get out of the living in my OD cycle.

I now can't rely on my CC for everything which has been hard but it has also made me realize how much rubbish I was actually buying and I wouldn't actually be paying for that until a year or so later. So that takeaway I bought months ago I haven't yet paid for, them clothes I bought last year that I've probably never worn or have sold on I still haven't paid for. When you look at it like that it really does make you wonder.

My son will be 2 at the end of the month and I am having a little family/friends get together for him. So if anyone has any ideas how to do this on a budget please share!

C xx
    Debts:
    47.44/260.92 Sofa 0%
    OCT NSD 3/15
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,267Posts Today

8,585Users online

Martin's Twitter