Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • NathalieNeal
    • By NathalieNeal 4th Oct 15, 11:56 AM
    • 71Posts
    • 93Thanks
    NathalieNeal
    Blogging
    • 4th Oct 15, 11:56 AM
    Blogging 4th Oct 15 at 11:56 AM
    Has anyone had any luck with running a blog - say, arts and culture journalism - and earning advertising revenue, Amazon referral money, commissions from those who want to be featured, etc.?
    ESA (Support Group), PIP (Care Segment), eBay
    If I get my hands on some money, I'll kiss its green skin, and I'll ask its dirty face, "where the Hell have you been?".
Page 3
    • Bmth100
    • By Bmth100 17th Feb 16, 12:50 PM
    • 1,021 Posts
    • 2,607 Thanks
    Bmth100
    Oh dear, whenever I have accessed the forum from - for example - a work PC, and so not signed in, it's the new style, and I still have mine set to old style, so I always just assumed it was an inferior or less detailed forum for those who didn't want to register..

I guess that's not the best feedback for their new design.. ! :|
    • Million$baby
    • By Million$baby 17th Feb 16, 4:15 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Million$baby
    Nope. I would like to start a blog, but i don't know how to get going with it. Can you earn money from blogging? I was under the impression blogs are for nothing more than a hobby.
    • Ilona
    • By Ilona 17th Feb 16, 6:38 PM
    • 2,081 Posts
    • 7,144 Thanks
    Ilona
    Oh yes, you're quite right - none of that extra information appears if you're using the new style forum. What a strange thing.
    Originally posted by droopsnoot
    I've tried that new style forum layout, it's awful, so I quickly changed back again. I hope they don't scrap the old one, please MSE leave it as it is.
    Ilona
    I love skip diving
    • Bmth100
    • By Bmth100 26th Feb 16, 9:19 AM
    • 1,021 Posts
    • 2,607 Thanks
    Bmth100
    I've just plugged Yoast SEO and social media share buttons into my managed Wordpress and I'm loving it..

Didn't realise how easy it was to use plugins; it's like Lego.
    • Tinka21
    • By Tinka21 27th Feb 16, 2:17 PM
    • 374 Posts
    • 414 Thanks
    Tinka21
    I've just started blogging this week actually about one of my hobbies and I have found it very addictive!
    Good luck everyone with their own blogs
    Total Debt £36323 Dec 2012 £19000 January 2016
    • Smithp24
    • By Smithp24 27th Feb 16, 4:09 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Smithp24
    Where are the best free blogging sites?
    • Elisa72
    • By Elisa72 27th Feb 16, 7:25 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Elisa72
    I was also thinking of starting a blog but not really a commercial one where I test products etc. but rather a more personal one. I've been through a divorce, breakups, dating, falling in love at 40, marrying again and so on, and I would like to write about it and share it with others. Is it still possible to earn some money by having a blog about that? Can I still use Google Adsense?
    Thanks!
    • Bmth100
    • By Bmth100 27th Feb 16, 9:16 PM
    • 1,021 Posts
    • 2,607 Thanks
    Bmth100
    I was also thinking of starting a blog but not really a commercial one where I test products etc. but rather a more personal one. I've been through a divorce, breakups, dating, falling in love at 40, marrying again and so on, and I would like to write about it and share it with others. Is it still possible to earn some money by having a blog about that? Can I still use Google Adsense?
    Thanks!
    Originally posted by Elisa72
    I think that any blog can succeed if the content is original and worth reading I've just connected to Adsense as a test to see how it works though I'm nowhere near being ready to actually maintain ads yet; I want to generate a readership first.

Just started a Twitter in my websites name and connected to some other accounts in the same field of subject.. A user with 2K followers has retweeted my first post!
    • clickerty-click
    • By clickerty-click 28th Feb 16, 2:47 PM
    • 93 Posts
    • 346 Thanks
    clickerty-click
    I have been blogging for almost a year and still have loads to learn. So far I have made a massive £1.44 from Google ads so I don't think I will be giving up the day job just yet! My viewer numbers are growing slowly, I think it does take some time to build up a readership and in fairness you need to have a reasonable amount of content for folk to look around. I do try and blog on a regular basis but want to have something to say rather than just putting something out there to hit a self imposed target. Personally I enjoy the creative process and it is a nice record of some of the things I have made and done
    • Fridge03
    • By Fridge03 7th Mar 16, 8:50 PM
    • 101 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    Fridge03
    Looking at starting my own blog about rugby. Something which I could talk about everyday so hopefully content wise will be fine.

I guess Wordpress is a good hosting site?

One day would like to get noticed perhaps and write professionally.
    • katykicker
    • By katykicker 8th Mar 16, 2:38 PM
    • 6,126 Posts
    • 22,615 Thanks
    katykicker
    I blog, my website is hosted by Go Daddy and is run via Wordpress, which is super easy.

I make money from my blog for hosting an advertising banner, hosting competitions, hosting sponsored posts and more.

I have been blogging for 18 months and I blog about how I make and save money online. I also then make money from people signing up, via referral links, to the websites that I write about.

I have found that blogging is something that has just progressed naturally for me. I wanted to help people make and save money and I wanted to also talk about the good and bad aspects of websites/paid apps etc. This has allowed me to share my knowledge, make some money and help people all at the same time. I really enjoy having a blog and I would say that you're best to look at it as a hobby then if things progress you'll be even more pleased/proud and if they don't you should be doing it because you enjoy it.
    Jealousy is when you count someone else's blessings instead of your own.
    • nortong
    • By nortong 11th Mar 16, 10:48 AM
    • 93 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    nortong
    ... helping me with my editing skills.! I bet it's littered with 'basic punctuation mistakes'!
    Originally posted by jjhr

Hmmm...possibly.
    • kiss_me_now9
    • By kiss_me_now9 11th Mar 16, 11:28 PM
    • 1,051 Posts
    • 2,675 Thanks
    kiss_me_now9
    I have been blogging for almost a year and still have loads to learn. So far I have made a massive £1.44 from Google ads so I don't think I will be giving up the day job just yet! My viewer numbers are growing slowly, I think it does take some time to build up a readership and in fairness you need to have a reasonable amount of content for folk to look around. I do try and blog on a regular basis but want to have something to say rather than just putting something out there to hit a self imposed target. Personally I enjoy the creative process and it is a nice record of some of the things I have made and done
    Originally posted by clickerty-click
    I've got a couple of blogs (both of blogspot) and I've made a grand total of... £3.54 over about 3 years
    Masters OT student
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,305Posts Today

7,916Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Nearly at the Cheshire Show. Doing an @itvMLshow there today and tomorrow. Do say hi if you're there or ask a question.

• Good morning. I'm on the train to go to the Cheshire Show today to film for an @itvmlshow Roadshow. Looking forwa? https://t.co/T0uKOKyj4I

• Early days, but so far a huge majority - 19 in 20 people - support legalising cannabis for medical use. Whereas t? https://t.co/a3gJipQITc

• Follow Martin