Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • anna_1977
    • By anna_1977 28th Sep 15, 1:34 PM
    • 684Posts
    • 937Thanks
    anna_1977
    very old debt
    • 28th Sep 15, 1:34 PM
    very old debt 28th Sep 15 at 1:34 PM
    Hi
    i'm paying off a very old (circ. 1997) loan debt to BLS (was Lloyds Bank). I have never not paid - this was a debt that my ex husband left me with. I was wondering whether it's worth sending a prove it letter? If so, can anyone provide me with the template. It's probably only for about 500 now (was 10k)

Thanks
    Anna
Page 2
    • anna_1977
    • By anna_1977 13th Nov 15, 9:42 PM
    • 684 Posts
    • 937 Thanks
    anna_1977
    Can I claim it back and any ideas on how I would go about?
    • anna_1977
    • By anna_1977 14th Jan 16, 2:43 PM
    • 684 Posts
    • 937 Thanks
    anna_1977
    Just an update and maybe some advice. I've received a letter from Lloyds confirming that the hold no record of the loan being in my name.
    I am going to pursue reclaiming what I have paid - I have nothing to lose by doing this and potentially thousands to gain.
    Does anyone have experience of doing this, should I write to Lloyds Complaints department or the FCO?
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 14th Jan 16, 5:17 PM
    • 14,030 Posts
    • 13,284 Thanks
    sourcrates
    Just an update and maybe some advice. I've received a letter from Lloyds confirming that the hold no record of the loan being in my name.
    I am going to pursue reclaiming what I have paid - I have nothing to lose by doing this and potentially thousands to gain.
    Does anyone have experience of doing this, should I write to Lloyds Complaints department or the FCO?
    Originally posted by anna_m
    Written complaint to lloyds, they then have 8 weeks to give you a final responce.
    If your not happy, take it to the FOS (financial ombudsman service).
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Free Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
    • anna_1977
    • By anna_1977 18th Oct 17, 12:55 PM
    • 684 Posts
    • 937 Thanks
    anna_1977
    HI,
    Well after months of nothing I have received a letter from Link Financial today

"We wish to apologise for our delay in supplying the requested documents in regards to your previous Secion 77/78 request.

We write further to your request for account documentation. Unfortunately the original creditor Lloyds Banking Group has confirmed that they are unable to comply with your request.

Although the account is currently unenforceable the outstanding balance remains collectable and it is acceptable for creditors to register and continue the reporting of a default '

Can someone please advise ?

Many thanks
    • pappa golf
    • By pappa golf 18th Oct 17, 1:04 PM
    • 8,706 Posts
    • 9,307 Thanks
    pappa golf
    and it is acceptable for creditors to register and continue the reporting of a default '

on WHOs credit file , its not on your so why worry
    • anna_1977
    • By anna_1977 18th Oct 17, 1:52 PM
    • 684 Posts
    • 937 Thanks
    anna_1977
    and it is acceptable for creditors to register and continue the reporting of a default '

on WHOs credit file , its not on your so why worry
    Originally posted by pappa golf
    It's not on my file due to age but i honestly can't remember if it did default, I'm sure lloyds would have defaulted it years ago though!
    • poppasmurf_bewdley
    • By poppasmurf_bewdley 18th Oct 17, 2:05 PM
    • 5,191 Posts
    • 5,312 Thanks
    poppasmurf_bewdley
    HI,
    Well after months of nothing I have received a letter from Link Financial today

"We wish to apologise for our delay in supplying the requested documents in regards to your previous Secion 77/78 request.

We write further to your request for account documentation. Unfortunately the original creditor Lloyds Banking Group has confirmed that they are unable to comply with your request.

Although the account is currently unenforceable the outstanding balance remains collectable and it is acceptable for creditors to register and continue the reporting of a default '

Many thanks
    Originally posted by anna_1977
    They have basically admitted they are up the proverbial creek without a paddle. They have a told you the debt is unenforceable but in legality it is still due, which it is.

So you can confidently ignore it from now on.

They cannot put another default on your credit file if it has previously been defaulted.

So rest easy. You have won. Congratulations.
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
    • fermi
    • By fermi 31st Oct 17, 10:41 AM
    • 39,455 Posts
    • 47,485 Thanks
    fermi
    Translation - "We are completely stuffed, but please pay us anyway!"
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Bankruptcy, Credit Cards and Loans boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
    • anna_1977
    • By anna_1977 16th May 18, 9:52 AM
    • 684 Posts
    • 937 Thanks
    anna_1977
    Sorry to reopen the thread but Link are writing to me again.

Is there anyway I can stop these letters?
    • poppasmurf_bewdley
    • By poppasmurf_bewdley 16th May 18, 11:07 AM
    • 5,191 Posts
    • 5,312 Thanks
    poppasmurf_bewdley

As has been said previously, although you don't have to pay this debt, it is still outstanding, and the debt company is within its rights to contact you.

However, if you consider the letters are becoming a harassment, then you could write and inform them that you consider them so and if they persist, you will make a complaint to the appropriate authority.
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
    • D_M_E
    • By D_M_E 16th May 18, 11:49 AM
    • 1,479 Posts
    • 63,465 Thanks
    D_M_E
    If Lloyds wrote to you confirming that they have no record of the loan being in your name - you kept that letter, yes? - then I would have sent a copy of that letter to Link along with a demand for the refund of any and all monies paid to them in respect of the account.

Also, did you do as Sourcrates suggested and send written complaint to Link and escalate to FOS after 8 weeks of no satisfactory response?
    • anna_1977
    • By anna_1977 16th May 18, 12:01 PM
    • 684 Posts
    • 937 Thanks
    anna_1977
    If Lloyds wrote to you confirming that they have no record of the loan being in your name - you kept that letter, yes? - then I would have sent a copy of that letter to Link along with a demand for the refund of any and all monies paid to them in respect of the account.

Also, did you do as Sourcrates suggested and send written complaint to Link and escalate to FOS after 8 weeks of no satisfactory response?
    Originally posted by D_M_E
    Thanks, I have the letter and have already sent that to link and they have a record of it (confirmed today). I also sent a complaint to them but will escalate to the FOS today with copies of the new letters sent to me

Thanks for the advice
    • D_M_E
    • By D_M_E 16th May 18, 12:56 PM
    • 1,479 Posts
    • 63,465 Thanks
    D_M_E
    Another thought - I wonder if Link did not comply with your Section 77/78 request because they had the same information from Lloyds as you did and they therefore knew that your name was not linked to the account/loan in question?
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 16th May 18, 5:37 PM
    • 14,030 Posts
    • 13,284 Thanks
    sourcrates

File safely under B (for bin) and ignore them.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Free Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

139Posts Today

1,625Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin