Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 20th Aug 07, 9:02 PM
    • 9,089Posts
    • 28,909Thanks
    thriftlady
    Five OS Pleasures in your day today
    • 20th Aug 07, 9:02 PM
    Five OS Pleasures in your day today 20th Aug 07 at 9:02 PM
    1) Seeing all my homemade preserves lined up on their shelf in the garage. They look as good as a stained glass window.

2) The smell of my laundry as I took it off the line, best smell in the world.

3) Taking a batch of muffins out of the oven.

4) Coming back from Tesco without any extras even though the kids were with me.

5) The appreciative words of thanks from my family as they finished their evening meal.

So come on, what are yours ?

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Rose; 24-02-2009 at 9:56 PM.
Page 1
    • Penelope Penguin
    • By Penelope Penguin 20th Aug 07, 9:08 PM
    • 17,087 Posts
    • 132,754 Thanks
    Penelope Penguin
    • 20th Aug 07, 9:08 PM
    • 20th Aug 07, 9:08 PM
    1. Making a delicious veggie curry for tea.

2. Seeing my chooks run out of their house this morning, pleased to greet the world.

3. DH and DS trying on their HM silk waistcoats for a wedding on Friday.

4. Picking beans, tomatoes, sweetcorn, lettuce, cucumber, onion (red and yellow), shallots, damsons, apples, plums and flowers, fresh from the garden.

5. Watching the Small Penguins careering down a hill in their HM (from scrap wood) go-cart.

And finding that thriflady is my long-lost younger sister

Penny. x
    Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding
  • Sarahsaver
    • 20th Aug 07, 9:15 PM
    • 20th Aug 07, 9:15 PM
    THriftlady how do you get your family to say thankyou
    I am not kidding.
    The only OS pleasures I had today were
    1. mending 5 items of clothing
    2. Own chicken's egg for breakfast
    3. Teaching DS to make sushi and him doing it better than me - and he is 7 years old
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • Penny-Pincher!!
    • 20th Aug 07, 9:20 PM
    • 20th Aug 07, 9:20 PM
    Mine were:

1-Not using the TD to dry the washing-put on airer
    2-Made a Shepherds Pie from odds and ends
    3-OH & DD used vouchers for a free lunch and drink (mcdonalds/Starbucks)
    4-Used vinegar solution for splashes on kitchen window
    5-Used spud water to water the plants
    6-Lidls and got whole weeks shop for £18

Im just showing off now...lol

PP
    xx
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!

FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 20th Aug 07, 9:30 PM
    • 9,089 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    thriftlady
    • 20th Aug 07, 9:30 PM
    • 20th Aug 07, 9:30 PM
    THriftlady how do you get your family to say thankyou
    I am not kidding.
    Originally posted by Sarahsaver
    Well, it is a very rare occurence which is why I included it. And, we did have chocolate fudge pudding which they love above all things
  • tracyg
    • 20th Aug 07, 9:52 PM
    • 20th Aug 07, 9:52 PM
    1. Drying 3 loads of washing on the line and it smelling fresh and dried for free
    2. Feeding my 10mth old son own made meals from the batch cooking in the freezer
    3. Eating a ready meal type chicken thing for tea as it was yellow stickered cost almost nothing and realised how gross and nasty it was and how OS cooking from scratch is much better
    4. Dropped off a load of old clothes for recycling
    5. Taking some boxes of books to charity shop - not OS really but made me feel good

EDIT to add 6. Meal planned from freezer and cupboard for the week (thankfully all ready made junk has been used up now!)
    Last edited by tracyg; 20-08-2007 at 10:13 PM.
    Lightbulb moment 15th Feb 2007 Now Debt Free and plan on it staying that way!

Baby on board!
  • Money~Bunny
    • 20th Aug 07, 9:56 PM
    • 20th Aug 07, 9:56 PM
    1. Only spending 69p cos I made my lunch AND bulk-bought snacks on Sunday.
    2. Eating my yummy veggie stew I froze.
    3. Using Milk of Magnesia as a face mask, not spending £15 on expensive skin care... and seeing that it's done wonders for my oily skin
    4. Using 1/2 the amount of washing powder and putting the machine on 30 degrees
    5. Spending time on here!
    Old-styler, crafter and freebie junkie!
    Frogga's Amazing Weight Loss Campaign: Member no.20 since 2/9/07 -- lost 10lb
    Wedding bells 04/10/08
    • organic wanabe
    • By organic wanabe 20th Aug 07, 9:59 PM
    • 801 Posts
    • 755 Thanks
    organic wanabe
    • 20th Aug 07, 9:59 PM
    • 20th Aug 07, 9:59 PM
    1. Going to the city farm for freshly laid eggs.
    2. Having some of the eggs for lunch with freshly made HM bread.
    3. Using my courgette flowers for the first time (stuffed), after seeing
    them selling for 50p each at "Foodies at the Festival" yesterday.
    4. Having a freshly made HM "Best Ever Chocolate Brownies" for dessert.
    5. DS putting some HM strawberry jam into HM yoghurt and saying not to
    bother buying the Yeo valley yoghurts in future he prefers HM!

It would be nice if I could take credit for the above - but most of them come from advice and information I have read on this site. So thanks everyone.
    • emmie1234
    • By emmie1234 20th Aug 07, 10:03 PM
    • 239 Posts
    • 723 Thanks
    emmie1234
    • 20th Aug 07, 10:03 PM
    • 20th Aug 07, 10:03 PM
    I'm still getting into it but here goes...

1) Haven't used the tumble dryer, put clothes on the airer
    2) Made menu plan for the week
    3) Went shopping and stuck to list without any extras came in at £35 for the week all in (inc pet foods and cleaning stuff/toiletries)
    4) Bought a pack of minced beef that was on offer, bigger size than I normally buy, but I separated it up into 3 portions and froze two (is this os?) In the "old" days I would have prob used the whole pack and then thrown the leftovers away Has worked out loads cheaper, shepherds pie, lasagne and spag bol sorted from one pack that was only about 50p more than the size I normally buy and I will be getting 3 meals from it.
    5) Haven't done this today but I've been planning getting some blankets/ thermal curtains and draught excluders together for when the colder weather sets in.

Em
    Marriages are made in heaven, but then again so is thunder and lightning!!!.....getting divorced lol

Trying to "up" my income and rookie oldstyler
    • shell2001
    • By shell2001 20th Aug 07, 10:15 PM
    • 1,795 Posts
    • 17,992 Thanks
    shell2001
    1. Taking the 2 for £5 chickens and making a roast with it, baguette fillings for us all last night, Coronation chicken for DH and mines lunch, Chicken & Leek pie tonight, enough left to make couple of portions of chicken curry for the freezer. Plus half a pie left for lunches!

2. Making my own pie pastry for a few pennies, with the littles helping.

3. Doing the flylady kitchen task today and knowing the inside of all my kitchen cupboards are as shiny and the outside.

4. Getting a positive comment from DH about his pack up lunch. HM onion and chive rolls with coronation chicken filling.

5. My DD1 saying your the bestest cooker in the whole world - as she takes another bite of the chocolate orange cake we made yesterday- lol
  • astep70uk
    Picking home grown lettuce from the garden - grown by my 5 year old from seed, and lovingly tended by him!

Feeding my 6 month old little girl homemade meals all day, and not resorting to jars of food

My 5 year old asking to make a jug of HM lemonade this morning, rather than the nasty squash in the cupboard (we polished it off by lunchtime though!)

Taking HM apple and raisin flapjack out of the oven

Eating HM beef stew and mash for tea, and saving some for babe tomorrow

Polishing off the last of the HM sultana scones with MILs HM raspberry jam with my coffee this morning

Using microfibre cloths to clean the bathrooms instead of nasty chemicals
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
    • lil_me
    • By lil_me 20th Aug 07, 10:40 PM
    • 13,109 Posts
    • 115,329 Thanks
    lil_me
    Oh this is a tricky one, trying to be positive and think of the little things, but thanks thrifylady for making me think about them......

1. Drying outside and on airers instead of using drier (thinking how much electric I save as the bills been huge last year)
    2. Reorganising my sons room, reusing the furniture we have in other places instead of buying new (would have previously done this)
    3. Spending only £7 on the shopping I need until Thursday then I will only need fruit and veg for the week thanks to meal plan (previously would have just walked in and spent £100 on what I don't need)
    4. Helping DP with his car stuff using OS cleaning methods, sort of a compliment when he says 'You'll know something that will clean this off' did say thanks aswell, shocked!
    5. 30 degrees washing and the fact my 6 year old now knows how to use it, especially the spoon of powder, should have heard him telling a friend off when he seen her putting a scoup full in Ok so he did switch it on when Dad was in the shower as it was full and Dad got a cold suprise

Thriftylady please do you have a recipe for the chocolate fudge pudding ?
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £250.00
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • buxtonrabbitgreen
    1 Oh bringing a huge bag of damsons and cooking apples home donated by someone at work because I would make good use of them and the donater want a sample.

2 just had a slice of banana bread made with reduced banans yum.

3 going into the garden to pick a lettuce and some tomatoes to go with the homemade pizza and chips

4 getting the washing and tent dry outside

5 killing a load of slugs (not os but made me feel good)
    Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination

Oscar Wilde
    • smokybabe
    • By smokybabe 21st Aug 07, 12:55 AM
    • 2,438 Posts
    • 10,393 Thanks
    smokybabe
    1. cleaning my house this afternoon after the excesses of me working the whole weekend and the children running riot with their dad.

2. Taking my breakfast (tub of chopped fresh fruit) and lunch (cold mixed rice flavoured with garlic and hm coleslaw) to work and everyone commenting on how nice it looked.

3. Getting all the washing done and pegging out (half an hour ago!) and all current ironing DONE.

4. pulling the gammon out of the freezer for tea. (OK. OK. but I usually forget! )

5. Some more surveys done and now £20.70 owed towards the Xmas shop.
    If you are patient in one moment of anger, you will escape 100 days of sorrow.......Chinese proverb
    DFW No 172.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 21st Aug 07, 8:43 AM
    • 16,405 Posts
    • 140,231 Thanks
    JackieO
    Today I realised that as I am having a year off from my 'normal' life so to speak I will be having a lot more time on my hands so I intend to use it wisely
    I enjoy my HM soups and will now start to utilise my kitchen even more than usual.
    I have a BM and when my arm is a bit more used to being able to carry things I am going to use it as it has sat on the shelf for over a year !!
    First thing I intend to do is work down my freezer as it has umpteen things 'lurking' in there that I have forgotten about. My tin cupboard wants using up as well.I think I will have a use it up month in September as I can't get much more into my cupboards any way. The cupboard under the sink wants clearing as well I think I must have god knows how many cleaning bits under there so they are going to get sorted and listed .I also want to de-clutter my spare room of around 40 years of records.I may ring up a dealer and get the lot shifted .This year off will do me good I think as I will get my clutter sorted and either recycled or sold or dumped .Baby steps at first though as I must not do too much or I'll end up back in hospital. But I have got the bit between my teeth now .
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus. 2018:Food Budget only( 1st Oct £30.96,15 Oct £14.28 total for month £45.24,) Total end of October since Jan £307.43
    • thriftmonster
    • By thriftmonster 21st Aug 07, 8:43 AM
    • 1,631 Posts
    • 7,822 Thanks
    thriftmonster
    Can I add 5 OS holiday pleasures from last week - cos they made me feel good!

1. Going to Donegal - no flights or ferries - yeah!!

2. Taking picnic bag & equipment so that we could take HM lunches everywhere

3. Seeing the kids on Portsalon beach in their free/ second hand wetsuits

4. Hanging the washing out on the line even in Donegal - actually I think we had better weather than most last week

5. Having saved up the spending money over the year so that it was there in August ready.

Ready to get back to full OS now.
    “the princess jumped from the tower & she learned that she could fly all along. she never needed those wings.”
    Amanda Lovelace, The Princess Saves Herself in this One
    • stefejb
    • By stefejb 21st Aug 07, 8:56 AM
    • 1,719 Posts
    • 18,997 Thanks
    stefejb
    1. knowing what's for tea for the next few days
    2. wandering around the garden to see what's ready to pick
    3. Doing without a washing machine for ages and saving electricity
    4. taking bread out of the fridge in the morning to bake - that smell wakes me up while i'm getting ready
    5. Having more energy from eating simpler, healthier food
    I'm going to feed our children non-organic food and with the money saved take them to the zoo - half man half biscuit 2008
  • boo81
    Yesterdays pleasures were:
    1. Having my favorite meal and without any fuss as it was defrosted from the freezer
    2. Finding dessert in the freezer when I wanted a sweet treat (little cherry pie)
    3. Having a shower at the gym and knowing it has saved me money at home
    4. Realising I have more money than i thought after cashing up my change last week
    5. Cleaning my cooker with newly found stardrops
    • shell2001
    • By shell2001 21st Aug 07, 9:12 AM
    • 1,795 Posts
    • 17,992 Thanks
    shell2001
    Here ya go Lil_me. But be warned it is toooooo nice! Especially with cream, ice-cream, on its own! lol

Chocolate fudge Pudding
    First find a cup that holds 8 fl oz of liquid(a US cup measure)

Grease a shallow baking dish - about 9'' by 13''

Sift together
    1 cup plain flour
    2 tsp baking powder
    1 tsp salt
    ⅔ cup sugar
    2 tbsp cocoa

add
    ½ cup milk
    2 tbsp melted butter or marge
    1 tsp vanilla extract(optional)

Mix until just smooth,then spoon into the baking dish.

Mix together
    4 tbsp cocoa
    1 cup soft brown sugar(light or dark)

Sprinkle over batter in dish.
    Pour over all 1 ½ cups of just-boiled water - DO NOT STIR

Bake for 40 mins at 180c
    Serve warm with whipped cream......yummmy
    When it's cooked there will be a thick fudgy sauce a the bottom of the pudding and a cakey bit on top. It's nice with some instant coffee(about a dessert spoon) added to the cocoa and sugar bit.
    • taplady
    • By taplady 21st Aug 07, 9:33 AM
    • 7,155 Posts
    • 73,597 Thanks
    taplady
    Mine were

1. drying lots of washing on the line!

2. eating HM butternut squash soup for lunch(yummy)

3. Eating HM spiced apple fruit cake - made with apples given to me from my uncles tree!

4. DH picking a huge load of cherry tomatoes from the greenhouse!

5. washing my car with a bucket, watering can and some Stardrops!

Am sure theres loads more!
    Thanks Thriftlady for making us think about the benefits of living OS!
    Every penny saved is a penny saved
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

135Posts Today

1,528Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • "Sabrina, you're young. I'm not sure you've the experience I'm looking for in a business partner." Eh? Isn't the pr? https://t.co/IeTxBQq2OU

• I am predicting the word myself will be misused 6 times in today;s boardroom. What do yourself think? #TheApprentice

• Not sure how I ever succeeded running a successful entreprise? After all my gardening and garden design skills are? https://t.co/FFnvkjsGDU

• Follow Martin