Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Jenny
    • By MSE Jenny 11th Sep 15, 3:10 PM
    • 1,228Posts
    • 3,560Thanks
    MSE Jenny
    0 WOW
    Shopping Secrets guide discussion
    • 11th Sep 15, 3:10 PM
    0 WOW
    Shopping Secrets guide discussion 11th Sep 15 at 3:10 PM

Hi all,

We've written a new Shopping Secrets guide and would love your feedback.

How did you find the info? Was it useful? Do you have any other tips you'd add?

Thanks for your help!

MSE Jenny
    Last edited by MSE Jenny; 15-09-2015 at 11:43 AM.
Page 1
    • Troublemaker66
    • By Troublemaker66 11th Nov 15, 8:43 AM
    • 23 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    Troublemaker66
    • 11th Nov 15, 8:43 AM
    Fundraising websites
    • 11th Nov 15, 8:43 AM
    I have been trying to raise money for the Village Club carpet through donations from retailers I have used online. I can't afford to buy much, but I've raised about 7 already in about 6 months. I just registered with the site, and all donations go to my nominated charity.

I use Easy Fundraising, but have also used Give as you Live (in aid of the BTO), Sometimes, if you just activate the toolbar while you are one the retailer's website, the donations are made, but other fundraisers seem to want you to buy via their website.

I think they work very well and am interested in what other people think. I buy goods from charity catalogue websites too eg RSPB.
    • janls
    • By janls 11th Nov 15, 2:20 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    janls
    • 11th Nov 15, 2:20 PM
    • 11th Nov 15, 2:20 PM
    Not sure where the 10% Discount from Ebay has come from if you leave something in your basket. I'm a business seller and cannot see whether anything is in anyone's basket. Also I buy to sell on again (and have done for 6 years) and have only once had a 10% discount voucher !
    • stmartinsdiver
    • By stmartinsdiver 11th Nov 15, 3:16 PM
    • 112 Posts
    • 115 Thanks
    stmartinsdiver
    • 11th Nov 15, 3:16 PM
    Abandoned shopping basket discount offer
    • 11th Nov 15, 3:16 PM
    Europarts car spares - if you abandon your basket you get a reminder email the following day and if you ignore it another reminder a day later offering 5% for completing the shop.
    • aspinomad
    • By aspinomad 13th Nov 15, 9:02 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    aspinomad
    • 13th Nov 15, 9:02 PM
    Supermug
    • 13th Nov 15, 9:02 PM
    I didn't intentionally try the abandoned basket trick but was put off by the delivery charge on two mugs, so I abandoned my trolley.

Next morning I received an email offering me free delivery on my order so I obliged.

I just might have to try this again!

Aspinomad
    • snorman1986
    • By snorman1986 25th Feb 16, 2:53 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    snorman1986
    • 25th Feb 16, 2:53 PM
    • 25th Feb 16, 2:53 PM
    I have been doing a lot of shopping in B&Q recently - doing up the house and recently signed up to the B&Q card. Its free and you get a 5 voucher for doing it. If you swipe whenever you are in store your receipt will be stored so no need to keep all the receipts in case something needs to be taken back. I have also noticed that they regularly send me voucher for 5 off and 10 off spending over a certain amount. All works out in savings in the end!!
    • doublesilver
    • By doublesilver 27th Apr 16, 3:52 PM
    • 65 Posts
    • 125 Thanks
    doublesilver
    • 27th Apr 16, 3:52 PM
    Abandoned basket discount
    • 27th Apr 16, 3:52 PM
    I recently forgot to complete a purchase on the magazine.co.uk site - it was a magazine gift subscription for my daughter - anyway, the next day I was prompted to complete the transaction as they had sent me a 2.50 discount code! Happy days!!
    • Mchllwlkns
    • By Mchllwlkns 27th Apr 16, 10:36 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Mchllwlkns
    • 27th Apr 16, 10:36 PM
    • 27th Apr 16, 10:36 PM
    Kittykit offered me 10% discount after I hadn't checked out
    • diluvsdiscounts
    • By diluvsdiscounts 28th Apr 16, 6:03 AM
    • 4,046 Posts
    • 41,260 Thanks
    diluvsdiscounts
    • 28th Apr 16, 6:03 AM
    • 28th Apr 16, 6:03 AM
    Hot Diamonds do the same as you are leaving their page you get a pop with the code for 10% off.
    • jase.2
    • By jase.2 18th May 16, 8:56 PM
    • 45 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    jase.2
    Zeek
    Off the weekly email ive used Zeek for the first time tonight, found a 5 code for new members and bought a 50 egiftcard for starbucks for 29

Pretty good saving, code appeared in the Zeek Wallet straight away and no problems adding it to the starbucks app

pretty pleased with that
    • trackrecords
    • By trackrecords 19th May 16, 5:04 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    trackrecords
    gift-card marketplace Zeek
    I used Zeek when it first started about a year ago.
    Buying an Amazon voucher I was 100% satisfied and bought it at a good price.
    Back then all selling was commission-free but it now costs 7% & 3 minimum.
    So for instance a 100 Amazon voucher sells for 99, the making only 92 meaning the superb deals are rather rare these days...
    • gravattt
    • By gravattt 19th May 16, 11:34 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    gravattt
    Zeek Gift cards
    Following your weekly newsletter, I bought a 50 Starbucks 'e-gift card' from Zeek, which cost me 35. It worked really well thanks, such a good saving
    • By 611 20th May 16, 12:44 PM
    • 193 Posts
    • 93 Thanks
    I've used Zeek 3 times now, once to buy a gift card and twice to sell. Buying was not a problem. Both times I tried to sell I got a response a day later saying they could not accept the gift card. One was for Amazon and it was rejected because I was not a 'verified seller' - "we are unable to verify the balance of an Amazon voucher and we cannot guarantee that it will not be used." The other was Homebase and was rejected because "the balance on this gift can only be verified in store." They could have told me this when I selected the retailers during the upload process, instead of letting me disclose all the card details for no reason and then keep me waiting. Just a word of warning to others that you may be wasting your time when trying to sell gift cards to Zeek.
    • biscuit333
    • By biscuit333 10th Sep 16, 8:47 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    biscuit333
    Zeek 11 Discount Off Second Purchase
    Hi All,

I signed up for a Zeek account to take advantage of the 11 discount off a second purchase which was listed on the Shopping Secrets article.

I used the link on the article, purchased a gift card and received an email saying that my cashback would arrive in 24 hours. However, 2 days after my purchase, I cannot see anywhere on the site where it would show that I was in credit. When I put a gift card in my basket then it doesn't show any discount is being applied.

I was just wondering if I was missing anything?

Update: I contacted support and they confirmed that I had been credited. When I went to purchase a card and added my card details the discount was visible (but wasn't visible until the card was entered). Was a nice little saving!
    Last edited by biscuit333; 12-09-2016 at 12:05 PM. Reason: Update
    • muffin_man
    • By muffin_man 12th Sep 16, 10:17 PM
    • 238 Posts
    • 316 Thanks
    muffin_man
    Trying to click the link for the 11 zeek offer I am repeatedly getting a 'This site can't be reached' message.
    Any ideas?
    • legendkiller2k8
    • By legendkiller2k8 13th Sep 16, 12:34 PM
    • 190 Posts
    • 78 Thanks
    legendkiller2k8
    Half completed a order with plusnet for a friend, they rang her the next day offering her 50% off for 12 months.
    • jack_pott
    • By jack_pott 13th Sep 16, 1:31 PM
    • 4,691 Posts
    • 6,064 Thanks
    jack_pott
    The John Lewis price guarantee is on a like for like basis. If Lewis sells a computer and extended guarantee for 600, but Curry's sell a computer only for 550 then it's not like for like.
    • naked
    • By naked 5th Oct 16, 1:41 PM
    • 104 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    naked
    I was looking at electronic components on a manufacturer's website and a feedback survey popped up so I filled it in.

Shipping from the USA is 6 (which is reasonable), but unless I'm buying 40+ of stuff it's cheaper to buy from a UK distributor so I put this in the feedback.

A couple of days later, they sent me a free shipping code
    • LucyB305
    • By LucyB305 26th Feb 18, 11:47 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    LucyB305
    10% off from Nike
    Used the online chat trick and was offered 10% off. Very helpful!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,094Posts Today

9,231Users online

Martin's Twitter