Windows and Lintels - Ventrolla

Comments

• Thanks for keeping us posted Claire ,its been a long hard slog and hopefully it will get resolved soon.

I would definately name and shame these people so they can't do the same thing to someone else.

Having said that ,how many people have they already done this too but are currently unaware that their houses are now unsafe ..........Which they definately would be.

Regards Leveller.
  • phil24_7
    phil24_7 Posts: 1,535 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I would say be selfish for the minute. Get a resolution you are happy with before naming and shaming on here. Once you are sorted you can shout their name in disapproval from the rafters but I wouldn't cut your nose off to spite your face.

Regards
    Phil
  • Clairebare1
    Clairebare1 Posts: 86 Forumite
    edited 23 November 2015 at 12:19AM
    Hi All

It looks like something is finally coming together. This week, just gone, we have had the new quote from the structural engineer, this time with steel box lintels, and, the window company have paid a 40% deposit to the builder.

The builder is meeting the window company at our house, for the first time, this week and is breaking the unfortunate news that most, if not all, of the windows will need to be remade as well now - he he! I can see this job, by the end, costing the window company close to 50k - I wonder if they are going to give us a discount as well, considering what we have had to put up with?

Its definitely not going to get done by xmas, but we may have a couple of the main rooms with lintels put back at least, although not decorated.

Toodle pip for now xx
  • chappers
    chappers Posts: 2,988 Forumite
    Just a quick note, whilst the window company are ultimately responsible, they do seem to be willing to put the problem right, all be it that it has taken a fair while, they are taking on board the responsibility for their fitters mistakes.
    However their surveyor should have know how a sash window was likely to have been fitted. The usual method would be to make the windows 10mm larger than the lowest point of the arched header and in fill with a piece of uPVC, usually in the region of 40-50mm
  • The person who we are speaking to at the window company (one of the managers) and who is coming down this week is the person who remeasured it - after it initially being measured correctly by someone else!?! So she is the person in the company who has caused the windows to be made too big and consequently the fitter then cut out the lintel to make them fit. It really wouldn't surprise me if she told the fitter to cut it out as she had measured them correctly, or so she thought!?!
  • chappers
    Fair enough, stick to your guns though, with regards to the cracking etc if you are sure that it wasn't there before they fitted the windows, seems like too much of a co-incidence to me.
    Sound like a right ordeal, but as it has already taken so long, you might as well now stick to your guns and get the outcome you want. You could always suggest they buy your silence by repairing the damaged walls. Quite frankly what they have done is next to criminal and they should be bending over backwards to resolve this to your satisfaction.
  • There was definitely not cracking to the house like we have now and each week my husband and I check the house and say to each other "I don't remember that crack being there before", or "that crack is bigger than it was a couple of weeks ago"! This really is a nightmare and all who have come here (building control officer, structural engineer, builders, friends, family) are totally taken aback by what has happened.
  • chappers
    I agree it's beyond belief that supposed professionals wouldn't know not to do this.
  • I am fuming, not only have these jokers cut out all our lintels, we have just discovered that not a single one of the windows that they fitted were actually fixed to a wall - so as well as living in a structurally unstable property, it is an unsecured property and has been for the last 3 months.
  • I am fuming, not only have these jokers cut out all our lintels, we have just discovered that not a single one of the windows that they fitted were actually fixed to a wall - so as well as living in a structurally unstable property, it is an unsecured property and has been for the last 3 months.
    Its not uncommon to find windows that have been wedged in place with wooden wedges or plastic packers and then fixed with foam with no form of machanical fixing (screws,frame anchors etc). I always fix windows with screws,anchors etc and only use foam for insulating around but thats just the way I like to do things..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure