Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Amy
    • By MSE Amy 7th Sep 15, 12:50 PM
    • 28Posts
    • 36Thanks
    MSE Amy
    Clearscore
    • 7th Sep 15, 12:50 PM
    Clearscore 7th Sep 15 at 12:50 PM
    This is the discussion area for the new free credit score and report website

See our credit score guide too.

Please let us know what you think below.
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 07-01-2016 at 2:41 PM.
Page 16
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 14th Nov 17, 9:35 PM
    • 4,802 Posts
    • 2,377 Thanks
    Consumerist
    Any one tell me why clearscore equifax wonít remove a name connected to me but will continually remove my wifeís when I complain. Even involved the ombudsman the idiots still donít seem to be able to read English is there anyway to take stronger legal action? . And what an idiotic way to communicate with people by leaving a ďmessageĒ. And always too late in the day to respond to them. Please any help
    Originally posted by Keith1001
    No doubt these "idiots" at Clearscore will be along very quickly to advise you how you might take stronger legal action against someone or other. Good luck with that.
    Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
    • ConcernedDebtor
    • By ConcernedDebtor 14th Dec 17, 8:56 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ConcernedDebtor
    Hi everyone!

So I have debt, an unpleasant amount. I'm being hounded by a particularly unscrupulous collections agency who are refusing to set up a payment plan with me.

For this reason I have approached representatives from a "stop bailiffs now" service from a company called "My Bailiff Advice".
    During our phone call they sounded very helpful, friendly and like they were in a position to assist us in tackling ALL our debts akin to a debt consolidation loan.

However, this is where things get suspicious.

Near the end of our call I was told that I would need to sign up for a credit check from Clearscore. I checked the company out and, whilst seemingly not the pinnacle of credit check services according to reviews, it seemed legitimate.
    On top of merely signing up for a credit check, this debt advice company wants me to provide them with the username and password I created for my clearscore account so that they may access the account to review my credit history/score
    This sounded a little off to me.

I can find little to no information about My Bailiff Advice online, save for what's on their website.

This, coupled with the following excerpt from the Clearscore T&C's has me extremely worried:

"5.3 You may access and use our website and our Services only for your personal use on your own behalf and not on behalf of anyone else. You must not engage another person, company, partnership or other entity to access our website or our Services on your behalf. You must not order, or attempt to order, credit information about anyone else through our website."

Please can any of you advise if this is standard/acceptable? Do companies like My Bailiff Advice actually provide help?
    Do Clearscore allow such agencies to be provided with your login details as an exception to term 5.3?

Does it sound like I'm in the process of being ripped off?

Sorry for the long post, any help will be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance.
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 14th Dec 17, 9:34 AM
    • 945 Posts
    • 525 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    A company like that can't stop bailiffs knocking at your door...
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 14th Dec 17, 12:14 PM
    • 4,802 Posts
    • 2,377 Thanks
    Consumerist
    So I have debt, an unpleasant amount. I'm being hounded by a particularly unscrupulous collections agency who are refusing to set up a payment plan with me.
    . . .
    Please can any of you advise if this is standard/acceptable? Do companies like My Bailiff Advice actually provide help?
    Do Clearscore allow such agencies to be provided with your login details as an exception to term 5.3? . . .
    Originally posted by ConcernedDebtor
    My advice would be not to agree to anything with this company.

Instead, contact a free debt advice agency without delay.

You could try <StepChange> and there are others including Citizens Advice.

Also you can get plenty of helpful advice from the <Debt-Free Wannabe board> from those who have successfully dealt with debt collectors before.
    • marcustandy
    • By marcustandy 18th Dec 17, 2:42 PM
    • 64 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    marcustandy
    I've been with Clearscore for a few months and had been well up until now.

I have now noticed that I now have 1 negative on my report; evidently, I am not registered at my address with electoral register. Well I certainly was so I contacted the Electoral Services of my local council and they have confirmed that I am definitely registered at my address!

I also then noticed that my mortgage (long term debt total) is now £477, down £195,118 from last month!! I checked with my bank and unfortunately, no Fairy Godmother has cleared my mortgage for me and so the report is again inaccurate to the tune of nearly £200k.

It would seem to be impossible to actually speak to someone and the procedure for dealing with this matter is ridiculously drawn-out. Consequently, I'm taking a long-shot that someone from Clearscore will be along here soon to explain.
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 18th Dec 17, 4:04 PM
    • 4,802 Posts
    • 2,377 Thanks
    Consumerist
    . . . It would seem to be impossible to actually speak to someone and the procedure for dealing with this matter is ridiculously drawn-out. Consequently, I'm taking a long-shot that someone from Clearscore will be along here soon to explain.
    Originally posted by marcustandy
    Clearscore will undoubtedly explain that they only report the data which Equifax gives them. If you are concerned, you could get the report directly from Equifax for £2 to establish who is at fault.
    • redux
    • By redux 21st Dec 17, 2:26 AM
    • 18,011 Posts
    • 23,690 Thanks
    redux
    Also about Clearscore, I've received two emails so far entitled Introducing your weekly updates, and one yesterday saying Ping! You've gotan update.

Each time I've logged in. There doesn't seem to be any pointer to help find what this update might be, and I've been unable to notice any difference.

If this is just an excuse for them to send 10 or 12 emails a month instead of 4 or 5 it might get a bit tedious.
    Originally posted by redux
    I just logged in the first time for a few months.

Now, 10 months after my post above, I've realised what the updates may have been.

Looking at the so-called timeline, which I hadn't much previously, I notice a negative factor was added in January - you have no active credit cards

Nonsense, and it lasts until September.

I assume that as they are only telling me this wrong information it doesn't matter, but I'm mystified why they are creating junk. Obviously it hasn't come from their supplier, as cards are listed, with changing balances.
    Last edited by redux; 21-12-2017 at 2:55 AM.
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 21st Dec 17, 12:25 PM
    • 4,802 Posts
    • 2,377 Thanks
    Consumerist
    I just logged in the first time for a few months.
    I think you have to have some regard for the reason Clearscore exists - to earn commission from any financial offers you take up via their site. If you don't log in for long periods they are not able to earn anything from you so they spam you to get your attention.

I get an email roughly once a month and that's roughly how often I log in.
    • redux
    • By redux 23rd Dec 17, 1:30 AM
    • 18,011 Posts
    • 23,690 Thanks
    redux
    I think you have to have some regard for the reason Clearscore exists - to earn commission from any financial offers you take up via their site. If you don't log in for long periods they are not able to earn anything from you so they spam you to get your attention.

I get an email roughly once a month and that's roughly how often I log in.
    Originally posted by Consumerist
    My last 5 emails from Clearscore were on December 14th, 18th, 19th, 21st, 21st, the last two only a few hours after I had logged in.

Frequency of logging in isn't a reason for their info to contain inaccuracies.
    • nic_c
    • By nic_c 23rd Dec 17, 10:25 AM
    • 1,397 Posts
    • 774 Thanks
    nic_c
    They will only update if you regularly login because why would they waste resources on updating accounts for someone who logged in a year ago and hasn't been back since. As I don't always log in on time each month the date has been creeping along and it usually refreshes on that day I log in if after 30 days since the last update.

Strange thing this time is the change "we've added 2 new accounts to closed accounts" - took me by surprise and worried me, were they opened and closed without my knowledge. They were accounts I closed in 2013 from a previous address that appears on other CRA already. So sometimes they are slow to update.
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 23rd Dec 17, 11:03 AM
    • 4,802 Posts
    • 2,377 Thanks
    Consumerist
    . . . Frequency of logging in isn't a reason for their info to contain inaccuracies.
    But it might be a reason for spamming.
    • Katomdoc
    • By Katomdoc 8th Jan 18, 8:44 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Katomdoc
    Have a CCJ attached to my clearscore account that isnít in my name (family member with a similar name but given after my name changed with marriage etc at a property Iíve not lived in for many years)

Contacted to report the error.

Got told I have to chase it up though itís not in my name and basically nothing they could do though itís their error.

Explained the family member with ccj is actually terminally ill and cannot do much to help me but can provide all proof of my identity and residency.

Got told nope, my problem to sort out.

So am now stuck with a ccj on my credit report that is not mine.

Luckily doesnít show on my Experian or anything else but sucks that it shows here when Iíve never in my life had anything like that.

So yeah, not very helpful, not willing to correct mistakes or investigate. Pretty much feel palmed off and having to carry the weight of someone elseís ccj.
    • zx81
    • By zx81 8th Jan 18, 8:48 AM
    • 16,462 Posts
    • 17,515 Thanks
    zx81
    Sounds like it's the creditor's error.

Chase it up with them.
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 8th Jan 18, 12:32 PM
    • 4,802 Posts
    • 2,377 Thanks
    Consumerist
    Clearscore only reports what Equifax tells them.

First move might be to pay £2 for a credit report direct from Equifax to see if the CCJ is actually on that report. If it is then start the Equifax complaints procedure. If it isn't then start the Clearscore complaints procedure.
    • AlanAsa
    • By AlanAsa 20th Jan 18, 1:11 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    AlanAsa
    Why does it count against me
    My Telcoms balance is high and counts as a negative on my credit score yet I'm not in arrears with Virgin media
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 20th Jan 18, 1:35 PM
    • 4,802 Posts
    • 2,377 Thanks
    Consumerist
    My Telcoms balance is high and counts as a negative on my credit score yet I'm not in arrears with Virgin media
    Originally posted by AlanAsa
    What credit score?

The only "score" you need to bother about is that used by a lender when you apply for credit and no-one knows exactly how each lender produces their score.

Just ignore Clearscore's opinion - for that is all it is.

I get reports from all three freebies and their "scores" are wildly different from each other. I ignore them all.

Edit
    You may find MSE's article on <credit scoring> of some interest.
    Last edited by Consumerist; 20-01-2018 at 1:43 PM.
    • MeganJR
    • By MeganJR 25th Jan 18, 2:10 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    MeganJR
    Clearscore's data insecurity
    I'd be very wary of giving any personal data to ClearScore, as their security is more lax than this forum! In order to set up an account there is no validation of your email address - and you can then go on and log all of your financial information in there. A professional colleague has been given access to someone else's account because of this - you can see his blog about it if you go to philbradley[dot]typepad[dot]com (I can't put in links as a newbie! Just substitute the [dot] for a . and it should work)
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 25th Jan 18, 3:13 PM
    • 945 Posts
    • 525 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    I'd be very wary of giving any personal data to ClearScore, as their security is more lax than this forum! In order to set up an account there is no validation of your email address - and you can then go on and log all of your financial information in there. A professional colleague has been given access to someone else's account because of this - you can see his blog about it if you go to philbradley[dot]typepad[dot]com (I can't put in links as a newbie! Just substitute the [dot] for a . and it should work)
    Originally posted by MeganJR
    No thanks...
    • Radnorsaver
    • By Radnorsaver 4th Feb 18, 10:35 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Radnorsaver
    Works well
    Just created an account; very straightforward questions. Results are beautifully dispplayed!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

159Posts Today

1,624Users online

Martin's Twitter