Clearscore

Comments

• Candyapple
    Candyapple Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Mable - they have basically removed any reference to the search being carried out on your credit report, that is all.

Did you check Experian and Noddle to see if there was anything on those?

All you can do now is keep an eye on your files and see if anything new pops up, searches or accounts.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
  • Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    MABLE wrote: »
    UPDATE.. . . Access to your details has not been given out to anyone.. . .
    An interesting choice of words. They may not have been "given out" but that doesn't necessarily mean they haven't been taken by hackers.

I think you would be wise to keep a watchful eye on all your accounts. Keep a copy of all correspondence with Everest.

I think this episode is a clear indication of how important it is to scrutinise our credit files on a regular basis.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • MABLE
    MABLE Posts: 4,080 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 7 December 2015 at 3:33PM
    An interesting choice of words. They may not have been "given out" but that doesn't necessarily mean they haven't been taken by hackers.

I think you would be wise to keep a watchful eye on all your accounts. Keep a copy of all correspondence with Everest.

I think this episode is a clear indication of how important it is to scrutinise our credit files on a regular basis.

I have taken out a CIFAS registration for two years so hopefully any further credit applications will be carefully looked into by the potential lender.

Apparently Everests financial partner is Barclays Finance. I rang them and they confirmed no credit search was done by them and Everest say the same thing. Also if the hackers had viewed my account they would not know the companies who I have financial dealings with because the companies name are not shown. Its only when you view your own report can you see those details unless you know differently.

I am just awaiting now for my Experian statory report an hopefully all is well.

One other strange thing is Everest said they would come back to me with an update within a day or so and that was last Monday. I have sent them emails asking for updates but they just completely ignore me all together now.
  • Consumerist
    MABLE wrote: »
    . . . One other strange thing is Everest said they would come back to me with an update within a day or so and that was last Monday. I have sent them emails asking for updates but they just completely ignore me all together now.
    It seems likely that Everest Ltd have made a search of your name by mistake. They are not likely to admit their mistake but they have corrected the search entry on your credit record.

With any luck there will be no further consequences but you are still left with the uncertainty and having to watch your credit file closely for the time being. Credit applications are likely to take longer while the CIFAS entry is on your file but that is better than a potential raid on your accounts by hackers.
  • MABLE
    MABLE Posts: 4,080 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    UPDATE.

Well we now know the truth and Equifax have been anything but honest with me.

Email from Everest Ltd

everest.co.uk
    Dear MABLE

Thank you for your e-mail communication.

I am advised by Equifax that this unfortunate incident was caused by a problem within their IT department. Please be assured that Equifax has not been hacked. This is solely an Equifax issue and I may confirm that Everest do not hold any of your personal details.

Please feel free to contact Equifax direct for further information, however I understand that Equifax shall be making contact with all affected customers shortly.

If I can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind Regards

Legal Administrator

Unquote.

I have sent this to Equifax for further comment before I take the matter further.
  • Westminster
    Westminster Posts: 1,004 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Savvy Shopper! Debt-free and Proud!
    At the very least, I would be looking for Equifax to compensate you for the cost of your CIFAS registration.

I had some fraud recently from Littlewoods for my old address (having moved in July). They removed the searches, closed the accounts and offered free CIFAS registration (which I gladly accepted).
  • ClearScore
    ClearScore Posts: 19 Organisation Representative
    Well, not really.

We are all (mostly) aware that https access to our reports is protected by 256-bit encryption but the question we really want answered is whether the data stored on your server is in encrypted form. i.e. if a hacker downloaded personal data from your server, would the downloaded data be encrypted so that the data could not be read?

I hope our concerns are now a little clearer.

Hello Consumerist,

Thank you for asking about this. We always want to reassure our customers about the security of their data.

Ensuring our customer data is safe is a top priority for ClearScore. In order to do this, we use a number of security processes and encryption methodologies which are constantly reviewed and enhanced. These range from data partition encryption, password storage encryption, database encryption for sensitive customer data and 256-Bit SSL encrypted network connections. To make sure that these are always up-to-date we also get these independently verified through regular penetration testing by a third party that is CHECK, CREST and PCI accredited.

We hope this answers your question. We are also fully FCA (Financial Conduct Authority) compliant.

Thank you,

ClearScore team.
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of ClearScore. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Candyapple
    Candyapple Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    ClearScore -
    You have very few / no accounts in arrears

Why is this still not changed? It just reads so badly. Why can't you just change it to "You have no accounts in arrears" ?

You've done it for another category: "You have no accounts in Default or Repossession" so why not the "arrears" one?
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
  • im a fan of Clearscore so far, so good. ive not used Noddle as yet .Im recommending Clearscore to everyone i know who wants to be aware of their credit score, not getting far with some of my more mature family , as its so new to them they dont want anything to do with it as yet. Maybe im just nosy lol. Im loving the free service actually available , well done Clearscore.
    decaffeinated coffee, shortbread , brussel sprouts, whats not to love:D
  • Consumerist
    laineyhen wrote: »
    im a fan of Clearscore . . .
    I'm certainly a fan of free access to our credit files, primarily so that we can be sure that the data held about us is both accurate and up to date.

My disappointment with Clearscore, at the moment, is that the data they are showing me is not accurate. The Clearscore version of my Equifax credit file is liberally sprinkled with false "missed payments" which would, if accurate, prevent me from getting credit anywhere. The strange thing is that Clearscore then goes on to ignore all these missed payment when it generates its relatively high score.

I'm hoping these matters are just teething problems which they will correct in due course but it does highlight that, for the time being, their data cannot be relied upon.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback