Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Hapless
    Preparing for Winter
    • 19th Aug 07, 10:43 AM
    Preparing for Winter 19th Aug 07 at 10:43 AM
    Insert By Martin.... new to the forum - don't be daunted

This is an amazing thread with an incredible wealth of information by thrifty 'old style' MoneySavers.

As you will see it already runs for hundreds of pages (see above right to navigate through them). So much so, you'll find when you get to the end that it's now been joined by Preparing for Winter II. As it's an open forum, some of the posts are chatty, others are full of information. Scroll through and see what you find (you can add your thoughts too if you register (it's free) and click reply at the bottom of the new Preparing for Winter II discussion).

Now enough from me let's get back to this thread - thanks to Hapless for starting it

Original post below

Ok...so I know it's still August, but it won't be long until winter arrives.

So are you preparing? Whether it's a mild wet winter with flooding or a long cold winter with snow..
    What we have done so far is....
    1. Sweep the Chimneys and clean out the grates fully, repairing any cracks with fire cement.
    2. Sort out the snuggly duvets ready to go to the cleaners.
    3. Check the winter wardrobes, who needs what in the way of coats, jumpers, boots, slippers, wooly socks etc.
    4. Ordered a generator so when we get the inevitable power cuts we can at least keep the freezer going.
    5. Make sure we have some nice heavy thick curtains for the windows and doors (our double glazing is a council special...crap)
    6. Make sure we have enough wood stocked up for the rayburn and fireplace.
    7. Order in extra coal before summer prices end on 31st August. Don't use much but it makes a good fire base.
    8. Make a checklist of seeds to prepare for spring planting
    9. Order Yule tree
    10. Ensure we have enough cold and flu, cough mixes, Calpol, prescription meds in the house.
    11. Get some dried essentials in, milk, egg, flour.
    12. Make sure we have some 5lt water containers (burst pipes happen a lot round here)
    13. Get the sewing machine out for draught excluder repair, remake.
    14. Ensure we have a stock of candles, batteries etc (see power cuts)
    15. Replace the normal energy saver lightbulbs with daylight energy saver bulbs
    16. Make sure the car is has petrol and we have de-icer, path saltgrit, etc.
    17. Ask Skadi to send SNOW this Yule

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Andrea; 06-10-2010 at 7:41 AM.
    The "Bloodlust" Clique - Morally equal to all. Member 10
    grocery challenge...Budget 420

Wk 1 27.10
    Wk 2 78.06
    Wk 3 163.06
    Wk 4
Page 1
  • Pandora123
    • 19th Aug 07, 10:58 AM
    • 19th Aug 07, 10:58 AM
    15. Replace the normal energy saver lightbulbs with daylight energy saver bulbs.
    Originally posted by Hapless
    I Googled these and they look like a good idea. Where's the best place to buy them? They seem pretty expensive.

Sorry, no tips to add myself... I'm far too disorganised to plan ahead much

I want to move to theory. Everything works in theory.
  • Hapless
    • 19th Aug 07, 11:01 AM
    • 19th Aug 07, 11:01 AM
    they are quite pricey, my brother bought them for me for yule last year as I was suffering with season affected disorder, and they worked brilliant.

Wk 1 27.10
    Wk 2 78.06
    Wk 3 163.06
    Wk 4
  • Hapless
    • 19th Aug 07, 11:04 AM
    • 19th Aug 07, 11:04 AM
    http://www.bltdirect.com/product.php?pid=207&cat=993&nm=11+watt+BC+Daylight +Energy+Saving+Mini+Spiral+Lamp

Wk 1 27.10
    Wk 2 78.06
    Wk 3 163.06
    Wk 4
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 19th Aug 07, 11:11 AM
    • 9,089 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    thriftlady
    • 19th Aug 07, 11:11 AM
    • 19th Aug 07, 11:11 AM
    Do I detect a touch of paganism Hapless (just googled Skadi ) ?

Funny you should mention winter and Yule as my OH was talking about Christmas presents and whether I'll be cooking a goose or a turkey last night -most unusual for him to be thinking ahead. I think it's the miserable weather. I love the period between back to school and year's end -all the planning and squirreling away nice things to eat. My plans always seem to centre around food. This autumn/late summer I shall be making;
    sweetcorn relish
    bread and butter pickles
    damson chutney
    damson gin
    qunice cheese
    quince vodka
    stewed or pureed fruit for the freezer
    Christmas/Yule cake
    mincemeat
    Christmas/Yule pudding
  • Hapless
    • 19th Aug 07, 11:22 AM
    • 19th Aug 07, 11:22 AM
    Do I detect a touch of paganism Hapless (just googled Skadi ) ?

Funny you should mention winter and Yule as my OH was talking about Christmas presents and whether I'll be cooking a goose or a turkey last night -most unusual for him to be thinking ahead. I think it's the miserable weather. I love the period between back to school and year's end -all the planning and squirreling away nice things to eat. My plans always seem to centre around food. This autumn/late summer I shall be making;
    sweetcorn relish
    bread and butter pickles
    damson chutney
    damson gin
    qunice cheese
    quince vodka
    stewed or pureed fruit for the freezer
    Christmas/Yule cake
    mincemeat
    Christmas/Yule pudding
    Originally posted by thriftlady
    Just a wee touch of Norsie Heathenism .

I have made some blackberry vodka
    I will have to bottle the banana and the tea and raisin wine
    Me freezer has plenty of rhubarb at the moment and I do have to make the brandy mincemeat (thank you great Delia of the cookbook).

Wk 1 27.10
    Wk 2 78.06
    Wk 3 163.06
    Wk 4
    • meanmarie
    • By meanmarie 19th Aug 07, 11:25 AM
    • 5,091 Posts
    • 49,542 Thanks
    meanmarie
    • 19th Aug 07, 11:25 AM
    • 19th Aug 07, 11:25 AM
    Congratulations to you organised people...have done nothing yet, but plan on trying to dry some apple slices when my cookers are ripe!

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
    • scrimperjan
    • By scrimperjan 19th Aug 07, 11:35 AM
    • 215 Posts
    • 290 Thanks
    scrimperjan
    • 19th Aug 07, 11:35 AM
    • 19th Aug 07, 11:35 AM
    Will you pop over and get me organised, Hapless? I haven't prepared for next week yet!
  • Hapless
    • 19th Aug 07, 11:43 AM
    • 19th Aug 07, 11:43 AM
    Will you pop over and get me organised, Hapless? I haven't prepared for next week yet!
    Originally posted by scrimperjan

Wk 1 27.10
    Wk 2 78.06
    Wk 3 163.06
    Wk 4
    • Penelope Penguin
    • By Penelope Penguin 19th Aug 07, 12:15 PM
    • 17,087 Posts
    • 132,754 Thanks
    Penelope Penguin
    Ok...so I know it's still August, but it won't be long until winter arrives.
    Originally posted by Hapless
    *fingers in ears smiley* la - la - la. I can't hear you

Penny. x
    Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding
  • Hapless
    *fingers in ears smiley* la - la - la. I can't hear you

Penny. x
    Originally posted by Penelope Penguin
    Well apparently 18 weeks til Yule/crimbo...now that is scary!

Wk 1 27.10
    Wk 2 78.06
    Wk 3 163.06
    Wk 4
    • cheerfulness4
    • By cheerfulness4 19th Aug 07, 12:26 PM
    • 2,800 Posts
    • 25,240 Thanks
    cheerfulness4
    I'm preparing for winter by knitting a lovely squared blanket to put over my tootsies this winter. Don't like winter that much since we realised we can't afford to whack the CH on all the time but this blanket is making me feel all cosy thinking about the wintery months ahead.
    Oh and buying LOTS of candles. That's one thing about winter I love, candlelit evenings.
  • Hapless
    Well I am hoping for a good winter with no fibro flare ups, so as long as I get organised now, if I do flare up, OH doesn't have to panic.

Wk 1 27.10
    Wk 2 78.06
    Wk 3 163.06
    Wk 4
    • Justamum
    • By Justamum 19th Aug 07, 1:20 PM
    • 4,685 Posts
    • 35,888 Thanks
    Justamum
    Winter's already here isn't it? It's definitely looked like it for a few days where I am. I'm sitting here snuggled up in my woolly jumper, and so far we haven't taken the warm duvet off the bed this year.

• shell2001
    • By shell2001 19th Aug 07, 1:29 PM
    • 1,795 Posts
    • 17,992 Thanks
    shell2001
    I am starting to worry about drying the washing. I wondered if putting up one of those pull out lines in the garage and leaving the door open would work? Our new home doesnt have the hide away place I used to pop the clothes airer.
    • jamanda
    • By jamanda 19th Aug 07, 1:41 PM
    • 782 Posts
    • 8,092 Thanks
    jamanda
    1. Had both chimneys swept
    2. Bought new grate for one of them
    3. Ongoing - nagging OH to put last thermal blind up in kitchen
    4. Am freezing garden produce/making jam
    5. Found toasting fork by accident the other day
    6. Went round sales for summer clothes - bought jumpers instead
    7. Waiting to see what everyone else is doing to jog my memory (please)

Oh - and on countdown to chestnutting in October.

I love this time of year with harvesting and snuggling and preparing. I think I should have been a squirrel.

J
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 19th Aug 07, 1:56 PM
    • 9,089 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    thriftlady
    I love this time of year with harvesting and snuggling and preparing. I think I should have been a squirrel.

J
    Originally posted by jamanda
    Fellow squirrel
  • Penny-Pincher!!
    Have already....

Stocked up on medicines (syrups, lemsips, painkillers etc)
    Free Low watt bulbs from council
    Candles-mum gave them to me
    Bought a few bags of broth mix and lentils (for stews/soups)
    Bought a radiator cover which OH still has to make up
    Bought a few jumpers reduced to 1 in TKMaxx
    Bought Thermal underwear to 50p
    Bought loads of designer socks from TKMaxx for 30p a pack
    Bought scarf and gloves sets reduced

Must do....

Get the chimney swept
    Few more tinned items

PP
    xx
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!

FEB GC/DIESEL 200/4 WEEKS
  • redsquirrel80
    Fellow squirrel
    Originally posted by thriftlady

I'm so jealous of those of you with real fires and things to make jam (and flavoured vodka) out of! Not a great deal to do living in a little studio flat, which is thankfully very warm and has all the electricity and gas included in the rent! However, I will (at some point) be...

- preserving any excess chillis and peppers that I've grown
    - freezing some homegrown herbs
    - getting boots re-heeled instead of buying new ones
    - getting winter jumpers out and mending any holes, giving too small ones to charity shops, and buying any new ones needed from charity shops or eBay
    - stocking up on soup ingredients and buying a flask so I can take some to work

I do like the snuggly cosy aspect of winter, not so keen on the darkness and short days :rolleyes:

Can we please have a bit more summer first though...please....
    Debt@16.12.09 10,362.38, now debt free as of 29.02.2012.
    "I cannot make my days longer so I strive to make them better."
  • kethry
    at the moment i'm thinking more in terms of preserving food than anything else. Partly for us, partly for christmas presents. I've got parents and grandmothers to cater for, which isn't a great deal, i know, and all love preserves of one kind or another, so that's what i'm doing this year - hampers/baskets with different kinds of preserves/pickles. Jams for mum, cos she has a sweet tooth, pickled onions, port, some good cheeses, maybe some potted meat for dad. that kind of thing.

along with that, i'm also making some preserves/pickles for us. not only jams (made Damson yesterday, making golden plum this afternoon, and dark red plum with cinnamon tomorrow) but pickles of various kinds - from pickled onions/beetroot to piccalilly (or however its spelled) and various other mixed veg pickles - atjar tjampoer, for example.

then there's the christmas food - cake, pud, mincemeat. My parents live a fair bit south of us, so don't tend to visit often, and mom still works, and as i don't, and am time rich, i tend to make all that kind of stuff for them (which they love). I want to get theirs done in the next month or so because they'll be visiting towards the end of september and won't be visiting again till after christmas, probably. oh well. at least they'll be well matured!

Other than that: its mostly a case of getting the duvet out to put underneath the sheets to make the bed warmer, i want to make some lining for the bedroom curtains, some better lining curtains for the living room, i've got draught excluders from last year, and i'll be participating in the whole "keep the heating off as long as possible" thing again this year! (funny though, no one seems to have a competition for turning the heating OFF again asap..!)

the only other thing is trying to think in advance for what to do over the winter for prepping the garden next year. what seeds to get, where to make new beds, that kind of thing. (and i'm still undecided as to whether to risk leaving the greenhouse out in the open all winter - its one of those large wilkos flimsy walk in jobbies).

Like others on this thread, i love this time of year. I'm all squirrelly!

keth
    xx
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,613Posts Today

8,323Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: As a ban on rip-off bank fees is announced, @MartinSLewis explains if you can reclaim, and how to cut your overdraft costs?

• RT @justinbones: Just looking at how the bad weather may be impacting business and the economy. Thankfully someone has already looked at th?

• RT @bbc5live: .@MartinSLewis joins @EmmaBarnett from midday to answer your money saving questions. ???? 08085 909 693 ???? 85058 Or post your q?

• Follow Martin