Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Sally
    • By MSE Sally 24th Aug 15, 5:03 PM
    • 70Posts
    • 27Thanks
    MSE Sally
    Haggle with Virgin - our new guide
    • 24th Aug 15, 5:03 PM
    Haggle with Virgin - our new guide 24th Aug 15 at 5:03 PM

Hi all, we have new Haggle with Virgin guide, and we'd love to hear your feedback.

Just click reply below to share any info. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Thanks for your help,

MSE Sally
    Last edited by MSE Megan F; 25-08-2015 at 4:06 PM.
Page 7
    • BIGLEARNER
    • By BIGLEARNER 25th Aug 18, 11:04 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    BIGLEARNER
    My new subscription after the latest rise would have been £146.24. A quick phone call has just given me a Broadband increase from 200mb to 350bm and the VIP Bundle (including Sky Sports HD) for a new subscription of £100.50. Certainly worth the phone call. :-)
    • Oldrocker
    • By Oldrocker 1st Sep 18, 10:45 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Oldrocker
    Just negotiated £192 a year reduction on my bill, well pleased and well worth the phone call. Just chose the thinking of leaving option. Contract was ending in just over a month.
    • ratechaser
    • By ratechaser 6th Sep 18, 9:46 AM
    • 510 Posts
    • 400 Thanks
    ratechaser
    Just cancelled. 150mb BB and basic phone (no TV) was coming in at £43.99/month, and was getting no decent retention offer - a few months back I was only paying £21/month! Let's see if they call me back, but didn't get a warm and fuzzy feeling like I normally do when haggling...
    • latecomer
    • By latecomer 6th Sep 18, 11:04 AM
    • 4,611 Posts
    • 2,626 Thanks
    latecomer
    I've generally found that the initial call just has a token effort to keep you. You need the call back from the retention team to get a decent deal. If you get a call but not a good offer ask them to let you think about it and call back the next day - gives you another shot at it.
    • Georgeb1971
    • By Georgeb1971 7th Sep 18, 1:06 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Georgeb1971
    contract ending
    I've been on £30 per month deal with virgin for 100meg broadband, basic tv and basic telephone. Service has been good but phones up to check new price and quoted £48 per month. I've told them my limit is £30 but best they can do is £45. So I'm moving to sky on their current £25 per month offer for fibre which seems best value at moment. Virgin don't appear bothered.
    Over the last 5 years I've been with sky, bt, Vodfone and virgin and each time changed after 12 months to get the best deals. It can't be in their interest to keep increasing prices after 12 months as they're supplying new equipment every 12 months.... madness
    • latecomer
    • By latecomer 7th Sep 18, 1:31 PM
    • 4,611 Posts
    • 2,626 Thanks
    latecomer
    Obviously they are relying on new customers staying longer than the initial 12 months and hence they make their money back afterwards. If you change every 12 months then that's not playing their game!
    • The Flying General
    • By The Flying General 7th Sep 18, 11:53 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    The Flying General
    I cancelled today as they were just not willing to offer a decent discount - there was a discount but nowhere near what some folk and new customers are getting.

Interestingly, during the hard sell, the lady I was talking to commented that she was working the hardest she had in 10 years to try and retain people, but people were just now more aware of how the game worked and that they had to dance between providers which wasn't a good business model. They are still working on their fibre offering being the thing that keeps people, but when you only need around 5mb/s to stream, 350mb connectivity is a hard sell. Given the market conditions, I'm surprised they aren't doing more to keep people. Or maybe I'm just being hopeful of a call back!
    • pjapk
    • By pjapk 8th Sep 18, 2:25 PM
    • 51 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    pjapk
    I just called to threat to cancel. Was paying £84/month for 200Mb, phone and TV I wasn't even using (still have an old scart box somewhere in the loft!).

They've offered me £61 for upgrade to 350 (upload is useful to me for cloud backups etc.) plus phone plus a superhub 3 (I pointed out I've been having issues with mine). Pushed harder & got a further £3/month off for 6 months.

Said I wasn't convinced it was worth it, might as well switch to sky etc. & he was insistent that I could try for 14 days & still change my mind so said I might as well give it a go but will still call back to cancel after 10 days or so & see what they come up with...
    • KCS1503
    • By KCS1503 13th Sep 18, 8:12 PM
    • 41 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    KCS1503
    Definitely worth asking for a discount particularly if you're not under contract and so free to go alsewhere.

Do a bit of homework first as to what packages are around from the other respected providers and then just keep cool when you ask. The customer services team have a small discount that they can apply for a limited time (like 6 months) but don't agree to that.

Point out what a similar high speed fibre package would be for a new customer with Sky/BT/Plusnet etc. and once they know that you've looked at the competition then they soon want to put you through to the customer retention team who are able to offer better discounts. In my case it will be pretty much £200 over the next 18 months.

Keep your cool, don't rubbish the service without justification, point out your previous loyalty.

Good luck!
    • Brummie85
    • By Brummie85 14th Sep 18, 12:30 PM
    • 120 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    Brummie85
    Think Virgin are getting wise, or are reaching a point that they don't need/want to negotiate to retain customers.

My Mom rang to cancel them following a recent price increase and they flatly refused to offer an improved deal with her, even when she quoted a better deal being offered by Sky.

So she's gone with them. Sadly having issues since Sky installed with poor signal but hopefully they have a remedy for that.
    • gb908010
    • By gb908010 14th Sep 18, 1:03 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    gb908010
    Ive been with Virgin for over 10 years and also managed to haggle a new deal but this time they dont seem bothered

100mb BB
    Xl tv
    talk weekends
    Was paying £50 for 6 months and then went upto £65 and now going up to £69.

Sky can do the same for £45 for 18 months (Albeit BB is slower)

Plus cashback via quidco.

Best virgin can do is £59!! which they will probably will increase with months of starting like they did last year.
    • hpmann
    • By hpmann 14th Sep 18, 10:29 PM
    • 51 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    hpmann
    Rang up to cancel due to the £2 price increase and was given a credit on my bill to cover this for the next 6 months. My contract ends in January and they advised me to ring them back to see what they could offer....
    • devon_guy
    • By devon_guy 15th Sep 18, 5:26 PM
    • 245 Posts
    • 122 Thanks
    devon_guy
    Had my increase email. Phoned up to cancel, no offer to tempt me, just told fine, your services will cease on 15th October.
    • TheV2
    • By TheV2 19th Sep 18, 4:58 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    TheV2
    We've been with Virgin for 11 years. Asked if they could match their offer for new customers for the 100mb for £28 they have. We were paying £30 for £50mb so basically I was trying to get a speed upgrade for £2 less.

They wouldn't budge & said all they could do was offer a price freeze for 6 months. Then tried to get them to match BT's offer & they said they don't do price matches. Guy seemed annoyed at the end of the call. Baffling why they couldn't match the new customer offer, especially with how long we've been with them.

Cancelled & gone with BT, no callback from Virgin yet.
    • Futuristic
    • By Futuristic 19th Sep 18, 5:37 PM
    • 800 Posts
    • 405 Thanks
    Futuristic
    We've been with Virgin for 11 years. Asked if they could match their offer for new customers for the 100mb for £28 they have. We were paying £30 for £50mb so basically I was trying to get a speed upgrade for £2 less.

They wouldn't budge & said all they could do was offer a price freeze for 6 months. Then tried to get them to match BT's offer & they said they don't do price matches. Guy seemed annoyed at the end of the call. Baffling why they couldn't match the new customer offer, especially with how long we've been with them.

Cancelled & gone with BT, no callback from Virgin yet.
    Originally posted by TheV2

Haha we must have had the same idiot on the phone, he ended my call with 'good luck with sky" and just put the phone down without letting me reply back to that
    • Buzby
    • By Buzby 20th Sep 18, 2:08 PM
    • 8,182 Posts
    • 3,005 Thanks
    Buzby
    Virgin offer faster BB than BT, so why would they charge less? xDSL BB is nothing like VM’s (up to 350Mb) Service. I used to pay BT a fortune for ISDN2 for 64kb channels x 2, i’m Still cheaper than that!
    • The Flying General
    • By The Flying General 22nd Sep 18, 1:07 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    The Flying General
    And Virgin are about to lose their unique selling point - speed - to a Vodafone/CityFibre set up which will be rolled out to 12 tier 2 / regional cities and towns in the next year or 2. The offer will supposedly be Gb FTTH, unlike Virgin’s top offering of 300Mb FTTC/coax. Having spoken with Vodafone they said anyone on their current BB plans in an area serviced by the new setup will get an automatic upgrade to 500Mb FTTH as the base offer.

Will make those renewal / retentions calls a bit more entertaining when they can no longer say ‘we’re the fastest around, good luck with ...’
    Last edited by The Flying General; 22-09-2018 at 3:51 PM.
    • Kelly45
    • By Kelly45 16th Oct 18, 11:49 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Kelly45
    I wasn't happy about £37.74 a month for virgin broadband 70mb, so I've called them and I'll now be paying £25.74 a month, locked in for 12 months, but the deal lasts 18 months. Saved myself £144 a year... I should have done this sooner!!!

It was a breeze too, I barely has to ask and I was also offered the option of £30.74 a month for 100mb, but I'm happy enough with the speed I'm on.
    • batemansxxxb
    • By batemansxxxb 7th Nov 18, 11:53 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    batemansxxxb
    Rang on behalf of a friend who pays £53 month for units phone calls to landlines & mobiles, 63mbs broadband,told them was thinking of going to sky as they offered comparable product for £35 but the agent wouldnít budge below £42 I even asked to speak to his team leader,but he refused saying they couldnít do better than what he offered,I hung up & rang back,got the same guy who obviously didnít recognise me,got same offer but with a £50 bill credit thrown in,so just accepted that
    I know from experience in my area I wasnít speaking directly to Virgin,but an agent from a sitel call centre, mustíve been told not to give much away or lose their bonus
    • misterrossi
    • By misterrossi 13th Nov 18, 8:26 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    misterrossi
    I've just walked away from Virgin. I wanted to downgrade, been out of contract for a few months now and was paying for a bunch of channels that we never use. Looking on their site they are currently offering Mix and 200Mb to new customers for £47, they initially offered me the same for £60, which I declined. After saying I would leave they got that down to £55, when I pointed out BT would offer a similar TV package + BT Sport and FTTC they dug their heals in and said they couldn't do any more.

The whole thing is stupid, I'm sure in 18 months when BT put their prices up I'll be back and on those new customer rates.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

60Posts Today

2,734Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Watching Theresa May... seriously would anyone in their right mind truly want her job right now!

• RT @thecheekypostie: @MartinSLewis Thanks to this, I have just skim read it. To those in Scotland - on page 548, Dounreay is mentioned by n?

• Today's twitter poll: The 585 page draft agreement of the withdrawal of the UK from the EU has been published. A? https://t.co/8YLkPyzqYM

• Follow Martin