Haggle with Virgin - our new guide

Comments

• Virgin don't provide any TV services to non-TV subscribers. Even if their (old) equipment is not collected, it will be pretty much useless to those no longer paying..
  • Kynthia
    Kynthia Posts: 5,665
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Well they rang back a couple of days later and offered a much better deal. They did want the TiVO box back so I've paid to keep it and access to Freeview channels. We'd have needed to get a new aerial and get a box so that we could pause and record tv so it seemed like the easier option. Happy though as we've nearly halved our monthly bill and just lost a few channels that I was apparently only watching less than 10% of the time. I'll use the saving to get Netflix or Amazon Prime.
    Don't listen to me, I'm no expert!
  • BlaEm
    BlaEm Posts: 213 Forumite
    We've been on the 50mb Fibre + Line rental deal for the last year and got notified of the increase this month.

When I called they reduced it no question from what would be £37.99, to £24.99 for 6 months and then £27.99 for the remaining 6 months.

I ummed and erred and mentioned BT a few times and they gave me a £50 credit as well :)

Sure I could have gotten more off if I'd held out, but this worked out at £23/month equiv which is what we'd benchmarked - happy with that!
  • peter999
    peter999 Posts: 7,097
    Forumite
    I know about the one-off credits through Retentions, which I have got in recent years.

But I haven't got a monthly discount or been offered one in recent years.

How does Virgin Media apply the monthly discounts for 6-12 months ?

How does it show on the bill ?
  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,559
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Ambassador
    peter999 wrote: »
    I know about the one-off credits through Retentions, which I have got in recent years.

But I haven't got a monthly discount or been offered one in recent years.

How does Virgin Media apply the monthly discounts for 6-12 months ?

How does it show on the bill ?
    My statements have a section of Promotional offer(s), which includes the following text:
    You'Re Receiving A £10 Loyalty Discount. If You Change Your Package You May Lose This Discount Which Will End 13-NOV-16
    When the previous discount ended, I phoned them up to ask why it had stopped (when I knew the answer anyway), and they gave me this one. :)

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• peter999
    peter999 Posts: 7,097
    Forumite
    victor2 wrote: »
    My statements have a section of Promotional offer(s), which includes the following text:

When the previous discount ended, I phoned them up to ask why it had stopped (when I knew the answer anyway), and they gave me this one. :)
    Is this monthly discount shown separate from the Package(Bundle / Phone) total ?
  • visidigi
    visidigi Posts: 6,439
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Is this monthly discount shown separate from the Package(Bundle / Phone) total ?

Yes and no.

Yes they do show separate.

Sometimes the combinations of discounts means they have to get creative with the standard pricing to make it all work out.
  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,559
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Ambassador
    On my statements it is by showing 3 sections:
    1. Bundle price
    2. Promotional Offer(s)
    3. Line Rental
    The Promotional Offer(s) shows a credit, and I've paid the line rental saver, so the rental section shows zero. The total is then listed as Your package total.

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• Ive called them today to see if I can reduce my bill and its now been cancelled from 2nd march. I only wanted it Reduced abit not cancelled.
    Now I'm searching for other deals. Cant believe they wouldn't offer me any kind of deal on the phone. After being with them for 9 yrs.
    SAW THE LIGHT JAN 2007:eek:

BR AS OF 10.15 27/03/07:j

MY NEW LIFE STARTED 10.16 27/03/07
    :beer:
  • idrewuk
    idrewuk Posts: 20
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Hi all. I'm about to give the cancellation method a go myself! Can I just check in, am I able to 'cancel the cancellation' within the 30 day period? I don't actually want to stop the service, it's just a way to haggle!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback