Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Sally
    • By MSE Sally 24th Aug 15, 2:17 PM
    • 70Posts
    • 27Thanks
    MSE Sally
    Haggle with BT - our new guide
    • 24th Aug 15, 2:17 PM
    Haggle with BT - our new guide 24th Aug 15 at 2:17 PM

Hi all, we have new BT Haggling guide, and we'd love to hear your feedback.

Just click reply below to share any info. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Thanks for your help,

MSE Sally
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 04-01-2018 at 9:37 AM.
Page 9
    • GillyD43
    • By GillyD43 4th Aug 18, 12:38 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    GillyD43
    How can I leave and get a refund on line rental paid upfront?
    I haggled a good price for broadband and calls (£3 a month for 2 years) when it was contract renewal time in February, predicated on paying the year's line rental up front. The £2.50 price hike is 84% for me! How can that be fair?

Of course I can leave but they say I can't have a refund of the six months' unused line rental. Does anyone know how to beat that please?
    • Mister G
    • By Mister G 4th Aug 18, 1:07 PM
    • 740 Posts
    • 435 Thanks
    Mister G
    If you have had the email from BT advising you of the increases, then you can leave without any ETC. Also they HAVE TO refund any outstanding ALR that you have paid (Ofcom ruling).
    • neilsedaka
    • By neilsedaka 4th Aug 18, 5:44 PM
    • 322 Posts
    • 100 Thanks
    neilsedaka
    I suspect that Gilly may be taking the proverbial ..... Can anyone else get close to £3/month or even £5.50/month. I suppose the speed being achieved would have some bearing, such as 0.25Mbps.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 5th Aug 18, 11:25 AM
    • 11,089 Posts
    • 4,806 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    BB £3

Yes today renegotiated contract .
    ALR + Fibre 1 BB at £3pm for 18 months .
    Max TV inc BT Sports HD £15 pm.

Old total for similar was £33-58

Price rises inc sport and hd and bb would be circa £12 pm

Deal today £35.40 no sept price rise .

Note no email received yet but i persisted nicely .
    I also mentioned Now TV BB at £20 pm .
    • Colin55
    • By Colin55 8th Aug 18, 5:03 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Colin55
    Just got an email from by to say my price was going up to £54.00 a month after my contract ended I currently pay
    • Colin55
    • By Colin55 8th Aug 18, 5:16 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Colin55
    Haggle success
    Just haggled with bt got a email saying my broadband and phone prices were going up from 41.49 to 53.49 ring them up got a new fixed price of £35.49 for 18 months had to threaten to complain to ofcom for bulling saying I could have bt plus for 44.00 a month with no price increase but ask him how much by put there prices up per year and he said he could not say if they woul go up or not and how much. But I still found it to be bullying to hike my price up even more so in the end threaten to leave got a new deal. Advice to all donít hesitate give it a go and there not the only provider out there
    • neilsedaka
    • By neilsedaka 8th Aug 18, 6:22 PM
    • 322 Posts
    • 100 Thanks
    neilsedaka
    Advice to all donít hesitate give it a go and there not the only provider out there
    Originally posted by Colin55
    Unfortunately BT are the only realistic provider out there for those of us that are on FTTP (Fibre To The Premises).
    • Paully28
    • By Paully28 9th Aug 18, 4:14 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Paully28
    How much would you say I should be getting my BT package for.
    I have BB fibre unlimited 1
    landline
    Evening & weekend free calls
    Entertainment plus
    BT sport

and also have two mobile phones with BT.

I am new to this haggling game and need advice, thanks
    • neilsedaka
    • By neilsedaka 9th Aug 18, 6:11 PM
    • 322 Posts
    • 100 Thanks
    neilsedaka
    Much depends on whether your "BB fibre unlimited 1" is on FTTC or FTTP?
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 9th Aug 18, 6:24 PM
    • 11,089 Posts
    • 4,806 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    [QUOTE=Paully28;74638862]How much would you say I should be getting my BT package for.
    landline
    Entertainment plus
    BT sport

£36- £40
    • Paully28
    • By Paully28 9th Aug 18, 6:31 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Paully28
    Much depends on whether your "BB fibre unlimited 1" is on FTTC or FTTP?
    Originally posted by neilsedaka

Not sure what they are, so not sure which I am on? sorry
    • Paully28
    • By Paully28 9th Aug 18, 6:32 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Paully28
    [QUOTE=JJ Egan;74639466]
    How much would you say I should be getting my BT package for.
    landline
    Entertainment plus
    BT sport

£36- £40
    Originally posted by Paully28

Thanks, I will give them a call and see what they can give me as I am currently paying £53.69. Thanks
    • neilsedaka
    • By neilsedaka 9th Aug 18, 6:44 PM
    • 322 Posts
    • 100 Thanks
    neilsedaka
    Not sure what they are, so not sure which I am on? sorry
    Originally posted by Paully28
    FTTC = Fibre To The Cabinet. This is fibre from the telephone exchange to the green cabinet situated on a roadside somewhere in your locality. The broadband from the green cabinet to your premises is via the old copper telephone cables, the length and condition of which determine the maximum speeds that you can achieve. The maximum download speed available on FTTC is around 75Mbps but can be much slower than that if you are a long distance from the green cabinet that serves your premises.

FTTP = Fibre To The Premises. This is continuous fibre all the way from the telephone exchange to your premises. FTTP is much much faster than FTTC with download speeds available up to around 1Gbps = 1000Mbps. In my experience FTTP is extremely reliable with constant speeds that vary little.

In most cases it is Openreach that decide whether you are on FTTC or FTTP. The customer normally has no choice in the matter.

Use speedtest.net on a computer that is connected to your router by cable, not by wifi, to check the ping, download speed, and upload speed that you are achieving. Low ping numbers are good. High download and upload numbers are good. Check again using a computer connected to your router by wifi. The difference will be the degradation that your wifi has imposed.

Those on FTTC have a wide choice of broadband provider. Those on FTTP have a choice of BT or BT. Thankfully BT do not appear to be abusing their dominant position in this market. There are a few other providers of FTTP but they are all way more expensive than BT.
    Last edited by neilsedaka; 09-08-2018 at 7:00 PM.
    • Paully28
    • By Paully28 9th Aug 18, 10:53 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Paully28
    FTTC = Fibre To The Cabinet. This is fibre from the telephone exchange to the green cabinet situated on a roadside somewhere in your locality. The broadband from the green cabinet to your premises is via the old copper telephone cables, the length and condition of which determine the maximum speeds that you can achieve. The maximum download speed available on FTTC is around 75Mbps but can be much slower than that if you are a long distance from the green cabinet that serves your premises.

FTTP = Fibre To The Premises. This is continuous fibre all the way from the telephone exchange to your premises. FTTP is much much faster than FTTC with download speeds available up to around 1Gbps = 1000Mbps. In my experience FTTP is extremely reliable with constant speeds that vary little.

In most cases it is Openreach that decide whether you are on FTTC or FTTP. The customer normally has no choice in the matter.

Use speedtest.net on a computer that is connected to your router by cable, not by wifi, to check the ping, download speed, and upload speed that you are achieving. Low ping numbers are good. High download and upload numbers are good. Check again using a computer connected to your router by wifi. The difference will be the degradation that your wifi has imposed.

Those on FTTC have a wide choice of broadband provider. Those on FTTP have a choice of BT or BT. Thankfully BT do not appear to be abusing their dominant position in this market. There are a few other providers of FTTP but they are all way more expensive than BT.
    Originally posted by neilsedaka
    Thanks, I tried what you said and got;

Connected with a wire
    Ping 12
    Download 50.17
    Upload 10.37

wifi was
    Ping 15
    Down 18.02
    Up 9.29
    • neilsedaka
    • By neilsedaka 10th Aug 18, 6:47 AM
    • 322 Posts
    • 100 Thanks
    neilsedaka
    It looks like the wifi within your premises needs attention. A drop in download speed from 50.17 to 18.02 is massive. How far from the router was your device when you got the 18.02? Does the 18.02 improve the closer you get to the router?
    • Paully28
    • By Paully28 10th Aug 18, 11:40 AM
    • 24 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Paully28
    I wasn't sure how much of a drop was acceptable. I was sat very close to the router. I just unplugged the cable to do the WiFi check and I don't think the cable is more than 1 metre-1.5 metres long.
    • neilsedaka
    • By neilsedaka 10th Aug 18, 11:54 AM
    • 322 Posts
    • 100 Thanks
    neilsedaka
    Have you rebooted the router recently?
    • Paully28
    • By Paully28 10th Aug 18, 11:59 AM
    • 24 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Paully28
    I haven't switched it off for a while, no.
    • neilsedaka
    • By neilsedaka 10th Aug 18, 12:02 PM
    • 322 Posts
    • 100 Thanks
    neilsedaka
    You need to switch off the router, unplug, wait a few minutes, plug it back together again, switch on, and check your wired and wifi speeds again. Also reboot the computers/devices you are using.
    • Paully28
    • By Paully28 10th Aug 18, 12:13 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Paully28
    Thanks, I will give that a try when I get in my house.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

540Posts Today

4,979Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @GillsSarah: Interesting! I always used to buy big name products cos I thought they?d be stronger. @MartinSLewis has changed my mind on?

• RT @think_jessica: Think Jessica the Film 30 min doc/drama based on my mother?s true story. Narrated by @MartinSLewis is now live on https:?

• RT @kelsher123: @MartinSLewis First time switcher! And no, it wasn?t as challenging as I thought???? A British Gas customer so no brainier. Th?

• Follow Martin