Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Sally
    • By MSE Sally 24th Aug 15, 2:17 PM
    • 70Posts
    • 27Thanks
    MSE Sally
    Haggle with BT - our new guide
    • 24th Aug 15, 2:17 PM
    Haggle with BT - our new guide 24th Aug 15 at 2:17 PM

Hi all, we have new BT Haggling guide, and we'd love to hear your feedback.

Just click reply below to share any info. If you haven!!!8217;t already, join the forum to reply.

Thanks for your help,

MSE Sally
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 04-01-2018 at 9:37 AM.
Page 7
    • jonny_power
    • By jonny_power 3rd Jan 18, 1:41 PM
    • 268 Posts
    • 144 Thanks
    jonny_power
    BT deal achieved
    So my phone/fibre/TV+sport deal was about 58pm (not a great deal to start with) and this ended last summer and went up to 68. Wasn't very organised about it until today. Phoned them up and after 15 mins had negotiated a 44pm deal with infinity one and the TV max deal. Really pleased with how far they went down (further than their new customer deal, and pretty decent alongside the plusnet's fibre cost).

Definitely some deals to be had.
    • Stickler1
    • By Stickler1 3rd Jan 18, 1:48 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Stickler1
    I am an existing BT Broadband customer. BT recently advertised a good deal in the i Newspaper . BT Infinity 1 broadband, Phone with BT Sport, 39.50 a month.
    I'm currently on standard tariff and BT Infinity 2 so costing 70+ a month !!!!!.
    Rang up to renew but they said the deal was only open to new customers !!!
    So on the chat line with India I gave notice of cancellation. They agreed to a a new package with me with BT Infinity 1, Phone, BT Sport and Sky Sport for 51 a month. On receiving the renewal contract by e mail this was incorrectly advised to me as 62.99 a month. I have now complained and dealing with their complaints team . Will keep you posted on the outcome.
    • Birdstarr
    • By Birdstarr 4th Jan 18, 2:59 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Birdstarr
    Reading the latest MSE email it gives the impression that you can switch from BT to plusnet without coming out of your contract. Is this correct?

Thanks
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 4th Jan 18, 3:04 PM
    • 35,912 Posts
    • 20,181 Thanks
    Quentin
    Reading the latest MSE email it gives the impression that you can switch from BT to plusnet without coming out of your contract. Is this correct?

Thanks
    Originally posted by Birdstarr
    No.

You have misunderstood

You need to give notice to end your contract with bt before moving to any other supplier including plusnet
    • mobilejo
    • By mobilejo 4th Jan 18, 3:07 PM
    • 87 Posts
    • 54 Thanks
    mobilejo
    No.

You have misunderstood

You need to give notice to end your contract with bt before moving to any other supplier including plusnet
    Originally posted by Quentin
    Correct but had given customers a 'get-out' for 30 days from the date they notified us about the price increases.
    • Birdstarr
    • By Birdstarr 4th Jan 18, 3:15 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Birdstarr
    So I'm tied to a contract with BT until June 2018 and there's no getting out of it? I don't understand how I'm supposed to save money. I was under the impression that you could save if you were in a contract too.

Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by Birdstarr; 04-01-2018 at 3:21 PM.
    • mobilejo
    • By mobilejo 4th Jan 18, 4:20 PM
    • 87 Posts
    • 54 Thanks
    mobilejo
    So I'm tied to a contract with BT until June 2018 and there's no getting out of it? I don't understand how I'm supposed to save money. I was under the impression that you could save if you were in a contract too.

Thanks for your help.
    Looking at the MSE email, it does say "So if you're out of contract, why not ditch and switch, and if you're loyal there's a way to save too."

which I think is referring to those who want to stay with BT but who are not in contract.

If you are in contract, and have missed the 30 days 'get of contract free' due to the price hike period , then sadly I think you are stuck for the time being. Power to haggle only exists when they know you can walk away, and while you're in contract they know you're not going anywhere for the time being.
    • HaggleThemLow
    • By HaggleThemLow 5th Jan 18, 11:07 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    HaggleThemLow

Thanks for your help.
    It's not easy to haggle when your still contracted, but not impossible.
    Try asking about a new contract, maybe a new 2 year one, BT are always keen to try and sign you up for longer. Ask about adding TV, even if you don't want it, sometimes this can actually reduce your overall cost.
    If you're on ADSL ask about an upgrade to fibre.
    Don't worry about the length of the new contract, as soon as they raise prices you can leave penalty free or renegotiate.
    • nicmalauren
    • By nicmalauren 6th Jan 18, 10:45 AM
    • 60 Posts
    • 65 Thanks
    nicmalauren
    Just had my annual "chat" with BT customer retentions as my bill jumped from 31.49 to 47.49 this month, demonstrating that I was out of contract! They are also due to apply a price hike on Monday which would have seen my bill jump up a bit more to 49.99.

30mins later, I have signed up for another 18-month contract at 27.49 per month, avoiding Monday's price hike and getting a speed boost to 76Mbps. Includes BT Sport and weekend calls (neither of which I use anyway) and means that I've saved a whopping 405 over the contract period. Happy with that!
    "The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams."
    • Ray h
    • By Ray h 16th Jan 18, 2:18 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Ray h
    Although we are already with Bt we contacted them to try to take advantage of the 29.99 deal for new customers citing customer loyalty as a good reason for them to cut us a deal. They were having none of it stating the deal is strictly for new customers only. The account with Bt is in my wife's name, so she pointed out to them that her husband is not an account holder and she would cancel the account that is in her name and we would have a new account in my name. Lo and behold we got the new customer deal which not only saved us a load of money but we got infinity too. The only downside to this deal is that BT insists you have a new phone number, no problem as its ex-directory known by a limited number of people.
    • Stuey2307
    • By Stuey2307 19th Jan 18, 11:34 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Stuey2307
    How?!
    Just had my annual "chat" with BT customer retentions as my bill jumped from 31.49 to 47.49 this month, demonstrating that I was out of contract! They are also due to apply a price hike on Monday which would have seen my bill jump up a bit more to 49.99.

30mins later, I have signed up for another 18-month contract at 27.49 per month, avoiding Monday's price hike and getting a speed boost to 76Mbps. Includes BT Sport and weekend calls (neither of which I use anyway) and means that I've saved a whopping 405 over the contract period. Happy with that!
    Originally posted by nicmalauren
    This sounds great. I'm in exactly the same boat. It'll be going from 29.99 to 49.99 (in the next month). May I ask, what was your tactic? Shall I tell them I've found it cheaper elseware and threaten to leave and say I'll stay if they offer me the same price for the next 18 months? Please share your secret! Thanks so much
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 19th Jan 18, 2:00 PM
    • 10,505 Posts
    • 4,439 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    Threaten to leave always depends upon how much longer you are in contract .
    If you are near the end of contract then price up other service providers.
    Phone BT and speak to retentions and say you are leaving as you can get for xx price .
    • saintscouple
    • By saintscouple 15th Mar 18, 1:02 PM
    • 3,880 Posts
    • 2,926 Thanks
    saintscouple
    Any advice?

parents have been with bt for years and out of contract, they pay 46.99 a month for fibre and line rental.

we just phoned bt up asking if they can do a better deal as talktalk showing 22.50 a month.

The operative went through an account review and said best price is 36.99 a month for a new 2 year contract.

We declined and asked how do we cancel, to which she said just apply to the new provider and they will inform us.

That was the end of the call.

Parents really want to stick to BT, any idea's as to how we can get the price lowered further?

thanks
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 15th Mar 18, 1:20 PM
    • 10,505 Posts
    • 4,439 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    Go through with a swap and BT should contact again .
    • Uncle_Pennybags
    • By Uncle_Pennybags 26th Mar 18, 7:59 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Uncle_Pennybags
    I reluctantly gave my notice to BT TV and broadband yesterday after identifying that paying 65 per month out of contract was beyond the pale.

The service was fine but I only watch BT Sport and Eurosport. I got the price down to 35 per month but I!!!8217;d budgeted for 30 per month. I gave my notice for a sake of 5 per month which may be penny wise pound foolish.

Any thoughts ?
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 26th Mar 18, 8:57 AM
    • 10,505 Posts
    • 4,439 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    What is the BT Sport going to cost via another ISP.
    • rab290
    • By rab290 27th Mar 18, 5:21 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    rab290
    My BT contract expires in June 2018. I rang up to check the cancellation charge for the broadband/calls and family sim mobile contract as I could get a cheaper broadband deal with EE over 18 months. They eventually offered me a discount on the broadband/calls which saves me 280 pa if I signed up to another 12 months (but with BT Infinity 1 instead of 2). As I dont really need download speeds upto 76mb I signed up for the 12 months with the option to save a further 120 pa by cancelling BT Sport. I will probably do this after the Premier League finishes in May and wait for another deal later this year if I want BT Sport again.
    • inflationbuster
    • By inflationbuster 18th Apr 18, 11:16 AM
    • 167 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    inflationbuster
    Was paying 37.49 after an increase last year from 34.99. Nearing end
    of contract so called BT first offer was 36.99. After mentioning a cheaper offer elsewhere (for 38Mbps) she spoke with her manager and got me down to 28.99 and l still get faster than 52Mbps (roughly 66Mbps) with 19Mbps upload. This is on Infinity 1 fibre with free speed upgrade.
    • Tigsteroonie
    • By Tigsteroonie 10th May 18, 6:38 PM
    • 22,752 Posts
    • 57,095 Thanks
    Tigsteroonie
    Just called BT as we are paying around 58 for Infinity2 + Landline + Weekend calls + Caller Display. Best deal they could offer me was around 40.

They then started to explain how other companies don't have to keep to their advertised speeds (only 10% of customers get them) - but surely as the cabinet and cables will be exactly the same whoever provides my broadband, I should get the same speed as now?

I left the call dissatisfied and not having agreed to their reduced price, as I still think I can do better elsewhere. The speeds are the most important element to us, although a good call-centre would be important (I've heard horror tales of TalkTalk).

Suggestions? Am I thinking too simplistically about being able to maintain our good speeds if I go to another 'superfast unlimited' company?
    Mrs Marleyboy

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

Proud Parents to an Au-some son
    • jd87
    • By jd87 30th May 18, 9:20 PM
    • 2,260 Posts
    • 1,207 Thanks
    jd87
    Just want to share the story of the deal I just got with BT in case it's useful to anyone else. I have Superfast Infinity 1 (or whatever it's called - roughly 56 Mbps, unlimited usage) and line rental and my intro deal ended so I was paying 49.99 per month.

I called them and said I was looking to cancel and initially they offered a fairly rubbish deal - 36 per month but dependent on taking their mobile (think it was 15 GB for 10 per month). That's probably not bad if you want the mobile but I said I wasn't interested and that I'd seen Vodafone doing the same broadband for 25 per month.

He asked his manager and came back and offered my current broadband package, with a speed increase to between 60 and 80 Mbps for 24.99 per month, 12 month contract (no mobile or BT sport or anything else). Very pleased.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,081Posts Today

7,007Users online

Martin's Twitter